Code of Conduct

Default Masque Milano Reviews (Love Kills, Tango, Russian Tea, Kintsugi, Hemingway)

IMG_20200221_174931_713.jpg

• Masque Milano Tango •

Let me know in the comments which Masque Milano should be in my next sample order? As with Russian Tea that I sampled a while back, Masque Milano delivered another stellar, interesting fragrance with Tango.

Tango is a spicy amber and it's a strong, 'in your face' type scent, albeit blended to the point where it almost instantly feels like one big accord. That quality creates a bit of a mindgame, where I personally don't feel the fragrance changes all that much during the wear, but because I can't pinpoint exactly what I'm smelling, I make different connections everytime I get a waft.
    Mainly this is warm. Just looking at the color of the juice gives you some idea. Along with the amber, cinnamon is the most prominent note to my nose. Cumin is said to be one of the main notes; my experience with cumin is limited, but where I tried it before, it smelled a bit like body odor (although never in a sweaty offensive way to me). In Tango, it feels more like 'one of the spices' and it's not overly present. The scent has some saltiness to it at first, so maybe the cumin comes in to play there. I get a leathery or definitely a musky animalic vibe, where later in the drydown, it becomes smoother and creamier. And that drydown lasts for quite a while , because performance is great.

Tango is a mature, amber fragrance, that has more dimension than your average gourmandy sweet amber (for example Armani Privé's Ambre Eccentrico that I tried last week). To wear, I personally might prefer the more straightforward ambers over this ever so slightly animalic and a bit more spicy variant, but than again, this is more intriguing. My preference would differ per situation; if I go the night out and want a comforting fragrance that's more of an easy grab, I'll lean towards a more straight forward fragrance, but if I want to stand-out more or just when I wear it around the house for myself, Tango has more to offer, while ultimately resulting in a comforting and familiar late drydown •

IMG_20200115_211425_663.jpg

• MASQUE MILANO RUSSIAN TEA •

Russian Tea is my first time trying something from the house of Masque Milano. I've been searching for some tea fragrances, so I was anticipating this one. The opening is nice and bright, with a slightly soapy mint and understated fruitiness. Tea is present from the start, but it wasn't as prominent as I expected. In the opening the tea has a more herbal vibe, because of the raspberry. After the raspberry fades to the background (quite quickly), the bitterness of a black tea comes through and it's really nice. To me, it sits between the smell of dry tea leaves and a cup of tea. Almost immediately the tea has to share the spotlight with a leather note and smoky birch. The leather can be a bit overpowering, or at least it gives this fragrance a different tone from the one I was expecting. The leather and raspberry combination reminds me of Rasasi's La Yuqawam, but much milder. I think this fragrance works great for Fall/Winter weather, but it's not a warm, comforting fragrance. It's not sweet at all either, but more of a cool smoky scent that's usual in leather fragrances, softened by the tea. That juxtaposition is very interesting, but I feel it also makes finding suitable moments to pick Russian Tea up a challenge. The performance was solid for me, with longevity being carried by a smoky late drydown (I assume still the birch). It's a wonderful experience, and I'm glad that my sample is sizeable enough to last me a couple more wears. Unfortunately, at the pricepoint (125€ for 35ml) Russian Tea will have a hard time making it into my collection, although it's definitely one that suits my taste. Have you tried any of the Masque Milano fragrances yet? •

d.jpg

• MASQUE MILANO LOVE KILLS •

After tying Tango & Russian Tea, which are both great quality and interesting fragrances, I had to stock up on some more Masque Milano samples: Kintsugi, which I'm sampling now, Hemingway, which really isn't for me and next up is their 2019 release: Love Kills. I will discuss all 5 in one video soon.

Love Kills is a rose fragrance with a very bright, sparkling rose opening, that reminded me a little bit of a mixture between Malle's Portrait Of A Lady and Malle's Une Rose. It has the lifelike bright rose from Une Rose, but not the booziness or the sharpness, instead it has a hint of candied sweetness, although not as sweet as Portrait Of A Lady. The geranium is most noteworthy aside from the rose in Love Kills. There's a hint of soapy citrus to my nose, like a dish soap lemon. Texture wise this comes off really oily or watery, which adds to the brighter, fresher feeling this conveys.

It's not until quite late in the drydown that the geranium draws back and you're left with a semi-sweet rose and cedar wood combination. The musks that are used in here are very subtle, again, adding to more of a fresher, rather than a more opulent experience. Performance is good and I think this is a very versatile fragrance, suitable for most situations and seasons without a problem. Unisex, but slightly feminine leaning; obviously if you like rose (and geranium!) this is perfectly suitable for you. Overall, this is a great fragrance, but it's not as special as Tango or Russian Tea were for me; it didn't broaden my idea of rose, as they did with amber and tea •

I will add Kintsugi (sampling now) and Hemingway (sampled once, really didn't like it, not my type of fragrance) later to this thread

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Masque Milano Reviews (Love Kills, Tango, Russian Tea, Kintsugi, Hemingway)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Masque Milano Reviews (Love Kills, Tango, Russian Tea, Kintsugi, Hemingway)

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these.
    Yes sir. Great house so far, but also very expensive and not in acceptable blind-buy territory for me, so I think sampling and sharing impressions on these is a must.

deleted
    Last edited by BruceB; 22nd April 2020 at 08:14 PM.

Thank you for your reviews. I have been curious about Tango for a while. I feel L’Atessa I’d a bellwether Iris (for me), and I share your sentiment about Love Kills. I am in the fence about Kintsugi

Quote Originally Posted by Clarissochka View Post
    Thank you for your reviews. I have been curious about Tango for a while. I feel L’Atessa I’d a bellwether Iris (for me), and I share your sentiment about Love Kills. I am in the fence about Kintsugi
    wearing Kintsugi for the 2nd time today; it's not the best imo. Soft fruity floral with leather/suede, when the fruity floral aspect fades in the drydown it's a pretty bareboned unexciting leather

I agree with your description of Kintsugi - it was pretty meh. At first I thought I was not getting it because of general malaise - hard to get excited about perfume with everything going on right now. Feel validated now

Tried them all. I only really cared for Tango. I was going to blind buy it at a point, but I'm glad I didn't. It just wasn't different enough from the ambers I have. It's definitely the spiciest. I kinda liked Times Square too Luci Et Ombre too.

Quote Originally Posted by CordonBeige View Post
    Tried them all. I only really cared for Tango. I was going to blind buy it at a point, but I'm glad I didn't. It just wasn't different enough from the ambers I have. It's definitely the spiciest. I kinda liked Times Square too Luci Et Ombre too.
    so far Tango is definitely the only one I would consider buying at it's their prices.

Basenotes Institution

Love Russian Tea and Tango. It's absurd how the price has changed just within a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Love Russian Tea and Tango. It's absurd how the price has changed just within a few years.
    I wasn't around for that, but didn't they change from 100ml's to 35ml's and kept almost the same prices?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by gewoonBB View Post
    I wasn't around for that, but didn't they change from 100ml's to 35ml's and kept almost the same prices?
    It used to be $180 (?) or so for 100ml and now it's $325.

A solid house, definately the better of alot I tried last year.

Tango was love at first sniff ( just wish it performed better on me)
    Currently wearing: Great Britain by Roja Dove

I've tried quite a few of them and own a vintage bottle of Tango that I managed to acquire recently directly from Masque Milano. Tango is the only one I really like and I think is worth the money (despite the price increase), Montecristo is a nice patchouli and ambrette but not everyone's cup of at. I don't get where MM are trying to go with some of these fragrances,
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

My favorites from the house are Russian Tea and L'attesa and they are very well composed. In this economic environment the cost structure is reaching Roja status which may be their downfall as disposal income deteriorates . I can only see a certain sub-set of people reaching for these in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    It used to be $180 (?) or so for 100ml and now it's $325.
    Ah okay, so not that far off. I think converted they are 135$ for 35ml