Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which fragrance in your collection would you be plesanatly surprised if you got a compliment?

Which fragrance in your collection would you be pleasantly surprised if you got a compliment?

I think most of us here may have a fragrance or two that is on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to crowd pleasing fragrances. Sucks for them, too bad. oh well... you're feeling the need to wear it because...you just wanted to. That fragrance is __________

For me its Oud Infini from Dusita or Mysterious Oud by Bortiknoff. Heavy animalic, barnyard esque.

I'd be shocked if I got any compliment on either. I wear it occasionally for my own enjoyment but if someone said something positive about it. We'd probably hang out some time just because I'd be hard pressed to find someone else to like it as well.

Default Re: Which fragrance in your collection would you be plesanatly surprised if you got a compliment?

Tobacco Oud doesn't seem to garner me any compliments.

Dependent

Default Re: Which fragrance in your collection would you be plesanatly surprised if you got a compliment?

Tom Ford Noir

I would be surprised if I got a compliment on Tobacco Oud as well.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

It would be Gucci Guilty Absolute from my collection.
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    It would be Gucci Guilty Absolute from my collection.
    True, I should also mention that in my collection as well.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Basenotes Institution

It would probably be Eau d'Hermes.

However, I wouldn't be too surprised because I did get compliments on Absolue pour le Soir and Musc Ravageur.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Interlude Man.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Endymion
    Rose 31
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Tom Ford Noir Eau De Toilette
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    It would probably be Eau d'Hermes.

However, I wouldn't be too surprised because I did get compliments on Absolue pour le Soir and Musc Ravageur.
    I've never tried the former but I am not surprised at all. Musc Ravageur is hardly shocking. You get an old school type "musk" that's similar to Shalimar and Jicky and then a spiced lavender vanilla dry down like Caron Pour un Homme. Good stuff

creed pwc. i like it a lot, but seems like it wouldnt generally draw attention to itself.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    I've never tried the former but I am not surprised at all. Musc Ravageur is hardly shocking. You get an old school type "musk" that's similar to Shalimar and Jicky and then a spiced lavender vanilla dry down like Caron Pour un Homme. Good stuff
    What surprised me was that the people who complimented were young adults and I had a notion that they were mostly into sweet and aquatic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    What surprised me was that the people who complimented were young adults and I had a notion that they were mostly into sweet and aquatic stuff.
    I also hold that notion. I suppose everyone's preferences are different though.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Tobacco Oud doesn't seem to garner me any compliments.
    It's so good though! I'd be surprised if Beau de Jour or Guerlain Vetiver garner compliments.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    It's so good though! I'd be surprised if Beau de Jour or Guerlain Vetiver garner compliments.
    And I would think these two would garner compliments!

Japon Noir. It’s something between the odd and the disgusting. (That’s why it’s “dustying”, lol).
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Basenotes Plus

MDCI Chypre Palatin
    Current Favorites:
    Creed Viking
    Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    Xerjoff Naxos
    MFK Oud Satin Mood Extrait

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dealt7faux View Post
    Tom Ford Noir
    EDP or EDT? ...black bottle or clear-ish bottle?

Your comment inspired me to pull out my sample of Tom Ford Noir Eau De Toilette. I could see it getting a compliment, but it's fresher than the EDP, and fresh scents tend to be easy compliment catchers. That being said... if I was choosing a scent to wear in hopes of pleasing someone else, I'd choose something else. I do like TF Noir though!
    Castile
    Endymion
    Rose 31
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Songe d’un Bois d’Ete or Epic Man.

Not that they’re particularly stinky, but that relentless dry woodiness doesn’t seem to be a compliment magnet.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Freed from BN Institution

Creed Vintage Tabarome
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I don't get compliments as a rule, but if I were to pick one from my stash, I'd say Gengis Khan
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Japon Noir. It’s something between the odd and the disgusting. (That’s why it’s “dustying”, lol).
    I got one but it was from an individual who was familiar with the Private Collection when I was sampling stuff in the stores many years ago.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Possibly too many to mention, but especially (neo) powerhouses and/or best modes like One Man Show Gold Edition and also regular One Man Show, Lapidus pour Homme, Fendi Uomo, Marbert Homme, Lancetti Uomo Concentree, Giorgio for Men, Francesco Smalto PH, Prince Classic EDT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Songe d’un Bois d’Ete or Epic Man.
    I got an unsolicited compliment on Epic Man. I made the mistake of mentioning the name & she was merciless in teasing me about it. "Are you an epic man?" I never thought about how corny the name was until I heard her say it. She really liked the scent though. Epic is one of the many scents I need to sample again at some point.
    Castile
    Endymion
    Rose 31
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis

Zoologist - T Rex and Imaginary Authors - A city on fire

Whilst I quite enjoy scents that are heavy with the cade oil I'd be pleasantly surprised if either of these were to garner any compliments.

To be honest I very rarely get compliments even when wearing the crowd pleasing stuff. Doesn't bother me, I wear scent for myself. So long as what I'm wearing doesn't irritate or offend anyone who cares.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I got an unsolicited compliment on Epic Man. I made the mistake of mentioning the name & she was merciless in teasing me about it. "Are you an epic man?" I never thought about how corny the name was until I heard her say it. She really liked the scent though. Epic is one of the many scents I need to sample again at some point.
    I love the scent, but I’d definitely feel self conscious telling people what I was wearing. There’s a definite cringe factor there.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

I figure it'd have to be a pretty serious
    Frag-head to stop and compliment:

Berlin in Winter
    Fathom V
    Dark Lord
    Bitter Rose Broken Spear
    A City on Fire

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    EDP or EDT? ...black bottle or clear-ish bottle?

Your comment inspired me to pull out my sample of Tom Ford Noir Eau De Toilette. I could see it getting a compliment, but it's fresher than the EDP, and fresh scents tend to be easy compliment catchers. That being said... if I was choosing a scent to wear in hopes of pleasing someone else, I'd choose something else. I do like TF Noir though!
    Black bottle EDP

If I got a compliment on Odori Tabacco, I'd be surprised, but pleased.

If I got a compliment on M.A.C. My Heroine, I'd be surprised and suspicious.

Basenotes Junkie

Cerruti 1881. Not sure this is to current tastes.

Parfums de Marly Hamdani, a filthy good leather, but too much for the casual nose.
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store