Code of Conduct

Default Would layering Molecule02 to ambroxan based scents give insane projection?

For example lets take Aventus which has ambroxan. If you layer with Molecule02 which is straight ambroxan would It make the scent beastly in sillage? Same if you take Molecule01 and add it to a scent that has iso super E such as Terre D Hermes for example.

Default Re: Would layering Molecule02 to ambroxan based scents give insane projection?

While not even familiar with Molecule 02, would say a reluctant but still quite likely yes. Merely due to the fact that all scents containing the note ambroxan did test so far, almost irrespective if designer, mass market or even the occasional niche did have huge, almost nuclear projection.
    Thus the mere probability of getting increased projection from the vast majority of ambroxan scents available, though maybe at the expense of Molecule 02 risking to be almost completely dialed back (even so assuming it's a skin scent), is already quite significant.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Default Re: Would layering Molecule02 to ambroxan based scents give insane projection?

Of ambroxan. People used to ask this about iso e super when it was the aromachemical du jour, or at least the one aromachemical that they knew of. I don’t know why people seem to think that these are some magic ingredient that boosts the performance of the entire scent. They have their own smells and characteristics and layering them changes the balance and the smell of the scent.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

everyday i'm samplin'

I think molecule 02 smells quite unpleasant. I got 8 ml from maxaroma a while ago just to educate myself. I like Sauvage and ambroxan based scents. But those dont need more throw, and when you add it in it becomes unbalanced. I tried mixing it with a few things, generally just to ruin. If you offered me a bottle for 1.88 as an add on to my fragrancenet order i wouldnt buy it.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by bigtyivier2k2 View Post
    For example lets take Aventus which has ambroxan. If you layer with Molecule02 which is straight ambroxan would It make the scent beastly in sillage? Same if you take Molecule01 and add it to a scent that has iso super E such as Terre D Hermes for example.

No, ambroxan is not a fixative, and it won't increase longevity, sillage, or projection of other ingredients. Adding more ambroxan will only increase the sillage and projection of ambroxan alone.

It's also worth mentioning that Creed does not use ambroxan, they use real ambergris (allegedly). I wouldn't recommend mixing what some would argue to be the most expensive ingredient in perfumery with ambroxan.

And finally, I would not recommend purchasing molecule 02; however, if you must, then purchase a few grams of ambroxan from an online store, buy refillable perfume bottles of amazon, and mix it yourself, you'll save a lot of cash.
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I think molecule 02 smells quite unpleasant.
    Likewise.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by PartySnake View Post
    ...It's also worth mentioning that Creed does not use ambroxan, they use real ambergris (allegedly). I wouldn't recommend mixing what some would argue to be the most expensive ingredient in perfumery with ambroxan...
    I thought it was fairly common knowledge that they had been using ambroxan for a long while and just naming it ambergris in their note pyramids, etc.

It's also worth mentioning that Creed does not use ambroxan, they use real ambergris (allegedly). I wouldn't recommend mixing what some would argue to be the most expensive ingredient in perfumery with ambroxan.
    Not true.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just because you're spraying two different scents it doesn't mean the sprays don't add up. Wearing more fragrance means you're wearing more fragrance. That should be obvious.

More sprays = more sprays, even if they're from different bottles.

Will you get increased projection? ...only in the sense that wearing more fragrance means you're wearing more fragrance. That should be obvious.

Hogwarts doesn't exist. These aren't magic potions. It's perfume. When you add more stink, you get more stinky.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    M7 Oud Absolu
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Tom Ford Noir Eau De Toilette
    Green Irish Tweed
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's also worth mentioning that Creed does not use ambroxan, they use real ambergris (allegedly).
    Here's how that scam works:

A perfumer uses a pinch of real ambergris and a gallon of ambroxan, but he says he uses real ambergris because he does, but only a tiny little bit.

I have no doubt that Creed uses real ambergris.
    I also have no doubt that the vast majority of what they use for ambergris isn't the real thing.

Get it?

If not: here's an example. The following block of text includes Os:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXOXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Is it true that there are Os in that block of text? Yes.
    Is that text a block of Os? No.
    See the difference?

"Contains Real Ambergris" does not mean it contains ONLY real ambergris. It doesn't even mean the 'ambergris' note is mostly made of the real thing.

It's marketing.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    M7 Oud Absolu
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme