Code of Conduct

Default Another question about dissolving absolutes

Dear perfumers,

Could you please advise me for one question: how do we mix absolutes (oakmoss, oakwood, black currant buds) into a carrier oil (like jojoba or sweet almond)
    Should we first dilute these absolutes into something to make them liquid? I guess alcohol won't work if then mixed into carrier oil...

Sorry if this question was asked million times here already, i didn't find the answer in the previous threads.

Very best regards

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Another question about dissolving absolutes

Absolutes may not be usable in fixed oils. Each would need testing. But your impression is correct, you will need to thin out/dissolve first. You can see if a good solving agent is listed on the material's page on TGSC first. If not, do more research to find out, and then experiment.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

This is from Eden botanicals:
    How do I dilute an Essential Oil, Absolute or Extract in a Carrier Oil (eg, Fractionated Coconut Oil)?
    First, determine to what percent you want to dilute an Essential Oil, Absolute, or Extract. For example, if you are working with a very strongly scented material, you may want to dilute it to 10%, or one part scented material plus 9 parts stable Carrier Oil. You can use drops, milliliters, ounces, etc. as the measuring unit, e.g., one drop Tobacco Absolute, 9 drops jojoba oil. Next, determine how much diluted material you want. For example, for one ounce (30 milliliters) of a 10% dilution, measure 3 milliliters of the scented material and 27 milliliters of carrier oil into a one ounce bottle.

If you are working with a very thick Essential Oil, Absolute, or Extract, it will be more easily incorporated if the carrier oil is also pre-heated to near the same temperature as the heated Essential Oil, Absolute, or Extract. If the Essential Oil, Absolute, or Extract does not mix completely into the carrier oil, you may need to allow a period of time for incorporation to be completed; shaking the bottle as often as you think of it will help speed up the process.

Remember to label, date, and record your dilutions. Please see Natural Perfumery Basics for more information on creating your own blends.

I have some recent experience with trying to dissolve oakwood absolute 100%,
    and an oakwood 60% in triethyl citrate dilution; both into fractionated coconut oil.

Note that I am speaking of oakwood (Quecus robur), and NOT oakmoss.

The oakwood absolute/triethyl citrate dilution was not what I would call a liquid but
    more of the consistency of thick syrup, whereas the oakwood 100% was the
    consistency of a paste. No matter what I did, neither of them would even come
    close to starting to dissolve in fractionated coconut oil.

I finally gave up and was forced to use ethyl alcohol as the carrier. Both of the
    oakwoods mentioned readily dissolved in ethyl alcohol with no problems.

I do not have any experience with the other absolutes that you mentioned.

Wow, thanks a lot for your answers guys!!!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by JohnVP View Post
    I have some recent experience with trying to dissolve oakwood absolute 100%,
    and an oakwood 60% in triethyl citrate dilution; both into fractionated coconut oil.

Note that I am speaking of oakwood (Quecus robur), and NOT oakmoss.

The oakwood absolute/triethyl citrate dilution was not what I would call a liquid but
    more of the consistency of thick syrup, whereas the oakwood 100% was the
    consistency of a paste. No matter what I did, neither of them would even come
    close to starting to dissolve in fractionated coconut oil.

I finally gave up and was forced to use ethyl alcohol as the carrier. Both of the
    oakwoods mentioned readily dissolved in ethyl alcohol with no problems.

I do not have any experience with the other absolutes that you mentioned.
    Have you no DPG TEC or IPM? Ethanol should always be one of your last resorts.

chyprefresh,

Don't reply to me with a question, and an opinion.

I suggest that you reply to the original poster
    with some helpful facts about his problem.

I have two questions chypre: why is ethanol last resort?
    John : where did you get oak wood eo or abs? I have been searching...

IPM is soluble in jojoba oil. So I would suggest diluting the absolute in IPM first and then diluting it further in your carrier oil or you can make a dilution with IPM and mix it with the rest of your materials in jojoba oil. I have not used jojoba as a carrier in years so you might have to experiment a little. But I am fairly certain that is what I did for oakmoss. DPG is not of much use since it is not soluble in oil

This is probably well understood already but just in case (since someone was remarking that they noticed their absolutes dissolve in alcohol but not some other random solvent): Of course an absolute will always readily dissolve in alcohol. An absolute by definition is the alcohol soluble portion of the material extracted from plants by hexane, so solubility in alcohol is never a question. Degree of solubility will vary to some degree I assume
    Last edited by Mr.P; 7th April 2020 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    This is probably well understood already but just in case (since someone was remarking that they noticed their absolutes dissolve in alcohol but not some other random solvent): Of course an absolute will always readily dissolve in alcohol. An absolute by definition is the alcohol soluble portion of the material extracted from plants by hexane, so solubility in alcohol is never a question. Degree of solubility will vary to some degree I assume
    Thank you for your message.
    Yes, sure they will dissolve in alcohol, but i need them to dissolve then in the oil too

Quote Originally Posted by klubnichnaya View Post
    ... sure they will dissolve in alcohol, but i need them to dissolve then in the oil too ...
    Drink alcohol, ethanol 95%, is the best and almost only carrier you need; with
    the exception of some materials, which are badly soluble in alcohol and can be
    prediluted in DPG.

Absolutes are by definition soluble in alcohol, but not necessarily in oils, of
    which the best is pure jojoba, mainly because it is a wax. If it occures, that
    an absolute* is not soluble in oil, for makers of solid perfumes there is often
    the concrete/enfleurage-wax available, from which the absolute was
    derived. This wax often contains about 60% of the absolute and is soluble in oils/jojoba.

----------------------------------------
    * https://hermitageoils.com/product/jasmine-wax/
    https://hermitageoils.com/product/jasmine-concrete/
    https://hermitageoils.com/product/bu...rose-concrete/