Code of Conduct

Default Sakura Salicylate (Takasago)

Anyone come across this? What are your thoughts?

I just got a little 15ml bottle, and the scent is so very very faint....but what I am picking up, I'm liking a real lot! It has a slight sweet berry (red current) vibe backed with the slightest of clean wood. The manufacturer suggests that it's "cherry blossom" like, and that seems reasonable although I've never smelled a real cherry blossom.

Either way, I'm wondering who has came a cross this, what your thoughts are, if you used it (how did it fare?).

I can't seem to put th scent strip down, it's really nice! I just wish it was like 5x stronger so it's more detectable and not so faint.
    ...bathing in perfumes...

Default Re: Sakura Salicylate (Takasago)

Quote Originally Posted by Bkkorn View Post

I just got a little 15ml bottle, and the scent is so very very faint....but what I am picking up, I'm liking a real lot! It has a slight sweet berry (red current) vibe backed with the slightest of clean wood. The manufacturer suggests that it's "cherry blossom" like, and that seems reasonable although I've never smelled a real cherry blossom.

Either way, I'm wondering who has came a cross this, what your thoughts are, if you used it (how did it fare?).

I can't seem to put th scent strip down, it's really nice! I just wish it was like 5x stronger so it's more detectable and not so faint.
    I think Chiristine sells this at Perfumers Supply House.

Personally, I don't think it is named appropriately, to be frank. And it isn't that special, really, in terms of odor. You are right that it is weak. Z-3-hexenyl is stronger, for example, and I find benzyl salicylate nicer and less metallic.

The real reason products like this are pushed is because salicylates have tons of labeling issues. There are restrictions on their usage and concentrations in many products. And this differs from category to category: fine fragrance, to shower gel, to laundry detergent, etc etc.

Companies are always looking to get around labeling their produces with certain allergens on the shipping containers and the packaging -- hence the push to develop alternatives, especially if they can be had for an affordable price.

I would say it doesn't bring anything new to the perfumery pallet. But if you prefer an allergen free product -- use it.

Basenotes Plus

I struggle to smell many salicylates.

But Sakura Salicylate figures very well in my upcoming Cherryblossom perfume.
    It's at 6% of the formula, but the formula is also more than 80 lines long, so there's a LOT of other things in there too.

My Wife thinks it is the best perfume I've ever made. We'll see about that! HA! :-)
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

I just tried it in a smaller batch perfume I'm working on. It does yield some interesting effects. It almost takes on a slightly sweet, round musky tone to your composition with other florals.

I'm gonna keep playing with it some more, I feel like this is a hidden gem

Basenotes Junkie

To my nose, a beautiful scent, medium strenght...a good rounder, ...flowery very versatile

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post

It's at 6% of the formula, but the formula is also more than 80 lines long, so there's a LOT of other things in there too. :-)
    Is it 6% of your formulas concentrate? Because IFRA restrictions in that ingredient is 5% max in concentrate.

I just looked it up a couple hours ago and saw that, ....and looked at my formula im testing it out in and had to make some adjustments to knock it down to 5%

Basenotes Plus

Is it 6% of your formulas concentrate? Because IFRA restrictions in that ingredient is 5% max in concentrate.

I just looked it up a couple hours ago and saw that, ....and looked at my formula im testing it out in and had to make some adjustments to knock it down to 5%
    As far as I can tell, Sakura Salicylate is not limited by IFRA, or anywhere else.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1381941.html

TGSC shows it as: Recommendation for 2-isopropoxyethyl salicylate - usage levels up to: 5.0000 % in the fragrance concentrate

So you might be right. It merely states “recommended usage”, ...but doesn’t state that is a hard restriction. Looks like I can go back and redo my formula again and amp this one back up to where I had it, yay!

I find that Sakura sal is very similar benzyl sal but with a touch of benzyl alcohol character (which, yes, is also used in cherry blossom accords). For the IFRA categories I primarily formulate in, I do not find the Sakura sal to be essential.

TGSC shows it as: Recommendation for 2-isopropoxyethyl salicylate - usage levels up to: 5.0000 % in the fragrance concentrate

So you might be right. It merely states “recommended usage”, ...but doesn’t state that is a hard restriction. Looks like I can go back and redo my formula again and amp this one back up to where I had it, yay!
    The Goodcents company is a wonderful resource. But very often their data about substantivity, logP, and IFRA percentages are wrong. Best to do your own research, and go directly to the source when possible. As I mentioned in my original post, one of the reasons this product is of interest is because it is not restricted. That can always change in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I struggle to smell many salicylates.

It's at 6% of the formula, but the formula is also more than 80 lines long, so there's a LOT of other things in there too.

My Wife thinks it is the best perfume I've ever made. We'll see about that! HA! :-)
    Are you going to sell it? Cherry blossom is one of my favourite scents!

Basenotes Plus

TGSC recommended usage is simply that. It is not a restriction of any kind. And usually, when a material is restricted, the recommended usage may be ten times as much as the restriction.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

sorry, duplicate post
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Topic View Post
    Are you going to sell it? Cherry blossom is one of my favourite scents!
    Oh Yes! Am planning an Asia Collection of fragrances, this will be the first one. ;-)
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes