Code of Conduct

Default The Paradox of The Scented Soap

Folks, as you may know, most fragrances depend on oils to carry their scents. Scents are very much dependent on oils. It is also common for many people to buy expensive, high-end, perfumed soaps, since their smell is deliciously refreshing during bath time, and they wish to use a soap with the same fragrance that they will spray on their bodies later on.

But the fact remains: The most important thing about Soaps is that they remove dirt and oils from your body. Why should you waste a lot of cash on a product that won't be able to keep or add a lot of smell to your skin?

This is the scented soap paradox. Please comment.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: The Paradox of The Scented Soap

I personally find it refreshingly pleasant that when a soap is performing its primary function, that if it smells good too it's a bonus. I don't ever look for it, but gladly welcome it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

It stays on your skin for a brief period, up to an hour. But I don't overspend just because I want to have a certain fragrant soap. Most important is that it does it's job, I agree.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: JB by Jack Black

As others were saying, it's a pleasant luxury. yes, it doesn't last, but it smells good for those few seconds when one is using. If budget allows.

The scent is only temporary, but still makes for a nice experience. The purpose of the soap is not the same as the perfume.

Scented soap can be used in the same way as designer shower gel - that is - don't actually wash dirt off with either of them.

At the end of the shower having used regular soap or gel, stand out of the water spray, apply the scented soap or gel, reduce the hot water to warm water, then quickly get under the shower and rinse the lather off.

The scent gets stuck in skin pores, and hangs around for another four hours.

Used this way, a bar of scented soap will last for ages.

Regards,
    Renato

While the scent itself was never the primary motive, as much as the cleansing effect, when choosing a bar soap, did however notice that better quality and often pricier scented soaps tend to retain their scent performance a bit longer.
    It might be just a subjective psychological effect, but noticed bar soaps matching a specific fragrance line and/or based on higher end essential oils/notes/ingredients do marginally tend to project slightly better and longer on skin.

Dependent

Scented or not, soap scent doesn't last that long, the primary function is for cleaning.
    Currently wearing: Private Label by Jovoy

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Scented soap can be used in the same way as designer shower gel - that is - don't actually wash dirt off with either of them.

At the end of the shower having used regular soap or gel, stand out of the water spray, apply the scented soap or gel, reduce the hot water to warm water, then quickly get under the shower and rinse the lather off.

Regards,
    Renato
    I actually do this with the scented soap, but I typically only use it on my chest, torso and arms. After I have used my primary soap everywhere else.

I got a freebie bar of Serge Lutens soap from Liberty after a bonkers spending spree a few months ago. It smelt lovely and I could smell it for a couple of hours after using it in the shower.

I actually don't think Lutens sell soaps, so it must have been a promotional thing. It was golden yellow and came in some smart packaging.

Regards,
    Renato
    I haven't thought of this. I'll keep it in mind if I am ever to receive a "nice" soap as a gift or part of a fragrance gift set.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I haven't thought of this. I'll keep it in mind if I am ever to receive a "nice" soap as a gift or part of a fragrance gift set.
    Or keep an eye out for heavily discounted sale prices on such soaps.
    I got my Aramis, Lagerfeld Photo and assorted Trumpers soap bars this way.
    Regards,
    Renato

Or keep an eye out for heavily discounted sale prices on such soaps.
    I got my Aramis, Lagerfeld Photo and assorted Trumpers soap bars this way.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I wouldn't spend a lot on soap, but at a heavy discount, I'll consider. Thanks!

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

I have long purchased pricier than average soaps- usually from the smallish men's section in local beauty supply stores or some department store brands.

THE ART OF SHAVING bar soaps are about the best Ive ever used. Smell great, incredible lather- makes the whole shower a very exciting experience.

Lavender and Sandalwood both excellent. I'll use the lavender if I'm going to wear a fougere type scent; sandalwood if wearing something like BdP.
    Doesn't seem to interfere with the frags.
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Creed

Scented soap, I don't use it. I used to until I started with frags. I know the smell does not last for long, but I never want anything to interfere with what I spray. Maybe it is just my mental.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    THE ART OF SHAVING bar soaps are about the best Ive ever used. Smell great, incredible lather- makes the whole shower a very exciting experience.

Lavender and Sandalwood both excellent. I'll use the lavender if I'm going to wear a fougere type scent; sandalwood if wearing something like BdP.
    Doesn't seem to interfere with the frags.
    Interesting. I've never actually purchased anything from this store. It always looks very posh when I walk by it at the mall. Would you say their soaps are worth the price?

Interesting. I've never actually purchased anything from this store. It always looks very posh when I walk by it at the mall. Would you say their soaps are worth the price?
    Sorry for delay in answer. Yeah, they are very posh when compared to typical drug store shaving cream, supplies and soaps (and totally unnecessary).

But it's a question of priorities and how much you like to pamper yourself I'd say.

Their soap bars are $18 and that IS a pretty heady price indeed. Even some of the higher end beauty supply store brands like Pre' de Provence are only about $8.

Years ago, a vendor gave me a sort of beauty store gift basket with some male grooming products and included were some nice soaps. From that point on, I was hooked and abandoned the Lever 2000 type stuff.

However, I must say having used many nice soaps for several years, the AOS soaps are the most opulent. Great scent and fantastic lather. You feel like you're in one of those Turkish baths where you see attendants slapping guys with intense soapy lather.

Try one once just for fun. It's a great way to make your shower decadent.

Oddly, online they only sell Lavender, Sandalwood and Peppermint. In their stores (last I went in one), they also sell an Oud Wood soap which I really liked.

As a wetshaver, I like taking a simple daily ritual like showering and shaving and raising it to an experience to be relished and truly enjoyed. The AOS soaps really elevate the whole shower experience for me.

The Duke Cannon soaps are good too and their Big Ass Bricks of soap last a long time. I see them in CVS now.
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather

The Duke Canon I can vouch for. They have some type of waxy outer coating so you have to wash that off to get that rich lather. Their Buffalo Trace and Naval Supremacy bricks are great and very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Sorry for delay in answer. Yeah, they are very posh when compared to typical drug store shaving cream, supplies and soaps (and totally unnecessary).

But it's a question of priorities and how much you like to pamper yourself I'd say.

Their soap bars are $18 and that IS a pretty heady price indeed. Even some of the higher end beauty supply store brands like Pre' de Provence are only about $8.

Years ago, a vendor gave me a sort of beauty store gift basket with some male grooming products and included were some nice soaps. From that point on, I was hooked and abandoned the Lever 2000 type stuff.

However, I must say having used many nice soaps for several years, the AOS soaps are the most opulent. Great scent and fantastic lather. You feel like you're in one of those Turkish baths where you see attendants slapping guys with intense soapy lather.

Try one once just for fun. It's a great way to make your shower decadent.

Oddly, online they only sell Lavender, Sandalwood and Peppermint. In their stores (last I went in one), they also sell an Oud Wood soap which I really liked.

As a wetshaver, I like taking a simple daily ritual like showering and shaving and raising it to an experience to be relished and truly enjoyed. The AOS soaps really elevate the whole shower experience for me.

The Duke Cannon soaps are good too and their Big Ass Bricks of soap last a long time. I see them in CVS now.
    Thanks for the response. Do they offer samples of their products in store? I was browsing their website and it looks like they have some really nice offerings. I "built a set" just for fun and it worked out to $600 - Yikes!

Thanks for the response. Do they offer samples of their products in store? I was browsing their website and it looks like they have some really nice offerings. I "built a set" just for fun and it worked out to $600 - Yikes!
    Not sure. They probably have samples of their shaving creams and fragrances, but doubt they have samples of their bar soap.
    (You do need a brush to use their shaving creams or shaving soaps. I guess you could rub them on by hand, but that seems clunky).

Never hurts to ask them for samples.
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather

Basenotes Plus

Are we discussing bar soaps or liquid/gel soaps or all categories of soaps?

I'm a rarity that I'm allergic to a number of 'natural' perfume ingredients (aka essential oils) and therefore I have a tendency to avoid a lot of heavily perfumed soaps in which I don't know the ingredients. I prefer synthetic perfume additives that last a short time on my skin because a lot of fragrance-free body cleansers smell horrific and I have to ignore them when applying to my skin. I love the way Bioderma's Atoderm Cleansing Oil makes my skin feel, but the smell isn't great, but not good either. Scented soaps, like the one's LUSH offers usually breaks me out in hives if they have certain essential oils in them. A few of their products contain things like Gardenia extract or Vanilla absolute, but soaps like their Karma soap with ingredients like Patchouli Oil, Brazilian Orange Oil, Lavandin Oil, Pine Oil, and Lemongrass Oil may allow the scent to linger on the skin for much much longer, but they are also serious skin irritants too.

As for soaps in general? I like a bit of scented luxury in the shower in the morning and prefer to use scented soap on the feet, pits, and (ahem) that area to help with the sweaty areas. I just have to check the ingredient list VERY carefully.
    Something something....something....

Avatar picture taken at Kew Gardens.