Code of Conduct

Default Confused regarding IFRA guidelines

I am very new to this hobby of making perfumes for personal use, so please excuse my ignorance. I bought some fragrance oils from Indigo Fragrance and on their website, each oil comes with IFRA guidelines for how much I should use based on the type of product. I want to make an alcohol-based perfume spray (I will probably get perfumer's alcohol as pure grain alcohol like Everclear 190 is near impossible to buy in the DMV region. If anyone has any good suggestions on brands or where I should buy an alcohol solvent, please do let me know!)

So here's my problem:

Let's take this fragrance oil as an example (https://www.indigofragrance.com/item...grance-Oil.htm). If I want to make a perfume spray, it would be a Category 4 per IFRA. Under Category 4, this oil should not comprise of more than 0.07% of the entire fragrance. 0.07%(7 out of 10,000 drops) seems like an extremely insignificant amount that I'm not sure if it would even smell like anything? Are they sure they don't mean 7% (7 out of 100 drops)? If I am making a 1 oz (30 mL) spray, 0.07% would equate to 0.02 mL (0.0007*30). How would I even calculate that without making an extremely large batch that is impractical?

Is my math wrong, or am I misunderstanding this guideline?

And if my math is correct, is it okay for me to make the perfume entirely of just fragrance oil + alcohol? Why do so many perfume sprays list distilled water as the first ingredient? I don't want to risk making my spray cloudy so I don't want to add any water, but how do the commercial guys get away with it?

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Confused regarding IFRA guidelines

Your link has a 404 page not found.

But yes, IFRA restrictions are real. However I wouldn't advise to build an entire perfume based of 1 single ingredient alone. Your gonna want to use that oil in conjunction with other things.....a lot of other things.
    ...bathing in perfumes...

Oh that's weird, here's the link again: https://www.indigofragrance.com/item...grance-Oil.htm

While it is a single fragrance oil, I believe it is composed of many different chemical ingredients and sold as a dupe for the Lush fragrance "Lust." This company sells many dupes (hope that's not blasphemous here) of designer perfumes for people to make EDTs, bath bombs, soaps, candles, etc.

I’d hate to break the news, but this product was not meant to be used for perfumery. It even states on its product page :

“This super concentrated manufacturers grade fragrance oil can be used in candles, soaps, lotions, reed diffuser oils, bath salts, bath bombs, lamp rings, incense, sachets, oil warmers, potpourri, to scent dryer ball, to scent clay jewelry, to freshen up candles and more!”.

No where does it say or elude to being used for perfume spray. This fragrance oil was made for non “body-spray” applications. Which is also why it states on its IFRA document that’s for class 9, 10, 11 (soaps, bath gels, laundry, diffusers, etc) that it can be used 100%..... while class 4 is barely useable.

Sorry there....but I’m afraid you bought the wrong product if your looking to make a perfume with this.
    ...bathing in perfumes...

Well spotted Bikkorn.

This is a fragrance oil so I cant comment on its contents, but many materials used at the level you mention or less can have an impact on the odour profile of the perfume e.g. thiazoles, pyrazines, aldehydes, some high impact musks, and other high impact materials. The percentages quoted by ifra is the % of this material in the final finished product (in the case of perfume, this would be in the final perfume including the dilutant i.e. alcohol or carrier oil)
    This % is always as a % of weight and not as drops since different drops have different weights

Well, that's disappointing. Thank you for pointing that out to me! I guess I will just have to use these for the home

Nevermind, I got in touch with the company and they said that it was a mistake on their website. They have since updated it after confirming with their manufacturer, and they told me Catergory 4 is now 100%...going from 0.07% to 100% seems really drastic but I guess it makes more sense.

IFRA.jpg