Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Curve (Liz Claiborne Era)- Boy this does put a smile on me!

Vintage formulation by Liz Claiborne (1998 batch)

I believe that 'notes' are not 'ingredients', they are merely a marketing push to give you a 'general idea'.

There are a few exceptions, of course.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

An elegant illustration of minimalism under the creative direction of Liz Claiborne- Curve #Oldschoolcool

This is one of those fragrances that makes the 90's a decade which all long and wish to go back to. A decade of sobriety where the world of fragrances was evolving from a stereotypical definition of what 'men' should smell like, to a newer, more liberating time where the idea of 'un-gendered' fragrances was experimented with. The birth of the 'green-saltysweet-aquatic'!

It's extremely difficult to look past the fact that Curve was definitely building on the blocks of some fragrances that came before it. Aspen by Coty, Eternity by Calvin Klein, Cool Water by Davidoff are three fragrances that in their vintage form bear an extreme resemblance to Curve, but there's something that Liz Claiborne did that was a game-changer at that time and that was the real kicker.

Curve for all that it is, is a simple deconstruction of all that was appealing from an 'aquatic' composition. While the fragrances before it played with an orchestra of notes before getting to the heavenly 'aquatic' base (large doses of 'calone' and 'dihydromyrcenol'), Curve opened up 'fruity-salty-aquatic' and stayed true to the trend till its base notes.

While the top notes have an 'ice-burst-menthol' note paired with the customary 'barbershop-lavender', the 'aquatic' bubble is present right from the beginning and never goes away. It is joined by a beautiful infusion of 'iso-e-super' and 'ambroxan' which give it a certain 'velvety' texture that comes and goes in waves. Much like crisp white laundry drying in sunlight, the 'clean-sanitized' musk note lingers faintly till the base. Another note that I can pick on is a luscious 'red apple'. The kind of aroma that tickles your olfactory every time you pass the kitchen where a bowl of almost-ripe apples call out to you! The treatment of this note by the perfumer has been executed perfectly as it brings to the fore those 'crunchy-crispy-crimsonred' aspects of the fruit. As the composition whirls seamlessly, the apple note magically cushions itself between the velvety folds of 'ambroxan' and morphs into a 'candied-pineapple' note which accentuates the sweetness of the overall composition.

The fragrance is exceptionally light and airy, almost bringing to mind the texture and mouth-feel of cotton candy that has been made with pineapple. If the aroma had to be captured as a taste, it would certainly be sweet with a hint of bitterness. There's something about it that is just heavenly, bringing me back for more and as the fragrance lingers on by its base, it almost wears like a second-skin. What you're left with is the alluring appeal of what 'clean-skin' would smell like on the ideal human. Almost 'babyfuzzy-sudsy-vanillic-inner elbow mineralic'.

Every single time that I experience it,'Curve' takes me through an iconic period of history, to those 'simpler times'. I can never be grateful enough to have the chance to experience it in its vintage glory, uncensored and in all its might!

----------------------------------------------------------

Longevity on skin- 15 hours (Indoors usage)

Climatic conditions during review- Temperature- 26 Celsius/79 Fahrenheit, Humidity 60%

Notable compliment- Woman after a 5 second hug- "Hey, hug me a little longer! I need to get some of your cologne on me"
    Olfactory Museum- trying to immortalize the world of vintage fragrances, one review at a time.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/547692531950738/

The Sheeples Podcast- An attempt to create a virtual 'safe-space' where you can share and build new perspective.
    https://www.thesheeples.in/the-sheeples-podcast

Life is too short for just one signature scent-

1. Azzaro pour Homme (Vintage)
    2. Dior Fahrenheit (Vintage)
    3. Acqua Di Gio (Cosmair)
    4. Tom Ford Amber Absolute

Default Re: Vintage Curve (Liz Claiborne Era)- Boy this does put a smile on me!

Nice thoughts. Do you have photos? Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    Every single time that I experience it,'Curve' takes me through an iconic period of history, to those 'simpler times'. I can never be grateful enough to have the chance to experience it in its vintage glory, uncensored and in all its might!
    Love your enthusiasm!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I love your enthusiasm but I don't think ambroxan was used by designers until the 2000's because even though it is a synthetic molecule, it wasn't super cheap or popular for use. Niche houses like Creed used it, and ambergris notes were simulated by other stuff like timberol before ambroxan became cheaper/more popular (see Kenneth Cole Black for example of timberol "ambergris" usage).

However, there is definitely an amber element to Curve, which is likely achieving that round velvety feel you describe when folded into musk and oakmoss (newer batches less on the oakmoss and therefore less round). Not saying you're wrong, because we smell what we smell, I'm just saying that what you detect is probably not the ingredient you think it is. Curve for Men is brilliant piece of pop culture art. I enjoy it myself!
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Blue Jeans by Versace

I still have about a quarter of a bottle. Gifted to me in the late 90's. Haven't worn it in ages.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Love your enthusiasm!
    Thanks Hednic! Your kind words always reassure me
    Olfactory Museum- trying to immortalize the world of vintage fragrances, one review at a time.

The Sheeples Podcast- An attempt to create a virtual 'safe-space' where you can share and build new perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I love your enthusiasm but I don't think ambroxan was used by designers until the 2000's because even though it is a synthetic molecule, it wasn't super cheap or popular for use. Niche houses like Creed used it, and ambergris notes were simulated by other stuff like timberol before ambroxan became cheaper/more popular (see Kenneth Cole Black for example of timberol "ambergris" usage).

However, there is definitely an amber element to Curve, which is likely achieving that round velvety feel you describe when folded into musk and oakmoss (newer batches less on the oakmoss and therefore less round). Not saying you're wrong, because we smell what we smell, I'm just saying that what you detect is probably not the ingredient you think it is. Curve for Men is brilliant piece of pop culture art. I enjoy it myself!
    Thanks so much for chiming in. Learnt something new today from you! Off to research more on Timberol

Always thought that synthetic ingredients were the same price for the companies when buying in bulk.

Do you remember the price Curve was when it first came out? And how the price compared to say an ADG or Cool Water back then?

Also, I'm assuming you lived through the 90's old enough to remember it more clearly than I did. I've always wondered how on earth did men accept the change in definition of 'men's cologne' from say a Ferre for Man to Cool Water. I'd think it was a radical shift and there would have been some hesitation and friction to accept the 'aquatic' trend, but the sales numbers I keep reading about say I'm wrong lol

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I still have about a quarter of a bottle. Gifted to me in the late 90's. Haven't worn it in ages.
    @Dan, perfect reason to revisit it. Let's take the nostalgia trip together

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much for chiming in. Learnt something new today from you! Off to research more on Timberol

Always thought that synthetic ingredients were the same price for the companies when buying in bulk.

Do you remember the price Curve was when it first came out? And how the price compared to say an ADG or Cool Water back then?

Also, I'm assuming you lived through the 90's old enough to remember it more clearly than I did. I've always wondered how on earth did men accept the change in definition of 'men's cologne' from say a Ferre for Man to Cool Water. I'd think it was a radical shift and there would have been some hesitation and friction to accept the 'aquatic' trend, but the sales numbers I keep reading about say I'm wrong lol
    The answer to how men accepted the change was easy: older men continued buying the powerhouses of previous decades because they were in no danger of major reformulation (minor oakmoss restriction in 2002) or going away until 2011 when major revisions happened. Most of the guys buying Curve or other fresh scents were in the 15-25 year old bracket by then, and they didn't want to smell like dad, so anything new with promise of attracting attention was a surefire hit.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Blue Jeans by Versace

Yeah Cool Water was a huge hit at my high school. Everyone wore it. It was a shift embraced by the teens and young adults.
    Curve's pricetag was the same as what you expect a typical fragrance bottle to cost at Macy's, or back then it was Lazarus and L.S. Ayres here.

Dependent

Every time I wear this is transports me back to high school 1997-98 ish

@Dan, perfect reason to revisit it. Let's take the nostalgia trip together
    I'll do this tonight!

Wearing my circa 1997 Curve bottle. I definitely know where Abercrombie drew their inspiration for Fierce. This bottle is strong. Two sprays and it's blowing me away.

Basenotes Junkie

Any way to determine visually if it's the vintage formulation? I've been thinking about picking up a vintage bottle but can't find much in the way of picture references to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Wearing my circa 1997 Curve bottle. I definitely know where Abercrombie drew their inspiration for Fierce. This bottle is strong. Two sprays and it's blowing me away.
    Glad you were able to revisit the nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by mustardsalad View Post
    Any way to determine visually if it's the vintage formulation? I've been thinking about picking up a vintage bottle but can't find much in the way of picture references to tell.
    Look for the bottom sticker. It shouldn't say 'EA', rather it should say 'Claiborne'

I've found a couple of the Liz Claiborne Cosmetics sets. One set is 5 pieces and one is 4 pieces. I forgot how nice this fragrance is. I've enjoyed it today and yesterday.

Look for the bottom sticker. It shouldn't say 'EA', rather it should say 'Claiborne'
    Also, the bottle is green instead of clear I believe. Both of my bottles are Liz Claiborne Cosmetics. One seems to have the word Curve painted on so to speak. The other is a sticker label. Both smell great!