Code of Conduct

Default Prominent Mahogany?

Some weeks ago I received a new all mahogany acoustic guitar. What stroke me the most (apart of the beautiful, mellow, earthy tone) was the smell that was coming out from it. Woody blissness. Any fragrance out there with a prominent mahogany note?

Default Re: Prominent Mahogany?

That was not a very good suggestion! Some of these perfumes have, like , 0.0000000001% of mahogany in them. The guy is asking for something very prominent. We must be more specific. I have many wood-centered fragrances, but I cannot distinguish, say, cedar from mahogany.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Bowmakers by DS & Durga has the most beautiful, realistic mahogany note I've ever smelled.

I'm unacquainted with this smell.

RL Purple Label
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Le Paradis De L'Homme by Hayari Parfums
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    That was not a very good suggestion! Some of these perfumes have, like , 0.0000000001% of mahogany in them. The guy is asking for something very prominent. We must be more specific. I have many wood-centered fragrances, but I cannot distinguish, say, cedar from mahogany.
    it was just to give reference and a list, he is free to read or ignore it at his will. thanks for your wonderful contribution though.
    Currently wearing: Fan Your Flames by Nishane

Bowmakers, but it never struck me as mellow. Definitely smells like an amped up version of the interior wooden portion of an instrument...if you want a lighter, mellow version like the smell you experienced check out Comme des Garcons Artek Standard...underrated gem. It's similarly designed, by a furniture company in Finland in conjunction with CdG...it pulls off the fine furniture/wooden instrument to a tee but it does so with cedar, cypress and musk in perfect amounts.
    MadHat Scents

Oud Gulab - Ruh Gulab, Taif Rose, Ambergris, Tobacco and Thai Oud

I love acoustic guitars and own a Martin. While it's not quite mahogany, this thread just made me realize that Royal Oud reminds me some of the inside of an acoustic, especially in the mids. I'm wearing now too.

Prominent Mahogany sounds like a fragrance name.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    That was not a smart reaction professor: how can you say that some of the mentioned perfumes have 0.0000000001% of mahogany in them when you cannot distinguish, say, cedar from mahogany.
    Currently wearing: Équipage by Hermès

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    I love acoustic guitars and own a Martin. While it's not quite mahogany, this thread just made me realize that Royal Oud reminds me some of the inside of an acoustic, especially in the mids. I'm wearing now too.
    Eau de D-28?

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Eau de D-28?
    Such a lovely guitar. There was a vintage shop on Sunset some years ago that had some absolute gems.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic View Post
    Some weeks ago I received a new all mahogany acoustic guitar. What stroke me the most (apart of the beautiful, mellow, earthy tone) was the smell that was coming out from it. Woody blissness. Any fragrance out there with a prominent mahogany note?
    Definitely try Bowmakers by DS Durga. The resins are off putting for me, but it's a highly accurate 'real world' fragrance with wood - purportedly mahogany - front and centre. It genuinely smells like the waft you get when opening a violin case, it's genuinely amazing how perfume can do that, even if I don't want 'me' to smell that way.
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Hmm,

The only one I'm familiar with is a scent by an artisan wet shaving company called WSP (Wet Shaving Products). I have their Mahogany shaving soap. I think the soap smells really, really good. I contemplate maybe buying the custom EDP they sell of this scent.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! Bowmakers definitely got my attention the most. Will start there.