Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Default Re: All Things Ensar Oud

Did anyone try Olde Hindi attar?

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    OE is great! I wish it had a little more oomph and depth but for how wearable it is you canít go wrong it. Itís pretty standard for a plantation grown Thai profile. Wait till you venture into the deep, woodsy, resinous and LOUD wild profiles from all over Southeast Asia. Thatís where it starts to get fun. Although not all wild ouds are loud by any means but fermented notes can really spice things up in terms of projection and strength.
    I look forward to it. Still debating on grabbing a bottle of Satori Fusho...but should sample more for now. Already bought 2gr Kastalana and 2gr Naga Layyen. Both awesome in their own unique ways. I like the sound of deep, woodsy, resinous and loud! Where has this stuff been all my life lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    Did anyone try Olde Hindi attar?
    I haven’t but it sounds incredible. Right now I have a few samples that I want to buy bottles of. The samples get ya HOOKED! Hahaha.

What do you guys think about the people over at Oudaddict.com who say that Ensar Oud is basically a huckster who uses vivid language to sell overpriced and mediocre ouds? He seems to come off as somewhat respected, but if he's playing the part to trick newbies I guess that'd be expected. IDK I've only bought pure oud from Rising Phoenix. Couldn't stand the heavy camphor.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    What do you guys think about the people over at Oudaddict.com who say that Ensar Oud is basically a huckster who uses vivid language to sell overpriced and mediocre ouds? He seems to come off as somewhat respected, but if he's playing the part to trick newbies I guess that'd be expected. IDK I've only bought pure oud from Rising Phoenix. Couldn't stand the heavy camphor.
    many perfumers today use Ensar's oils in their perfumes and attars. I think for that reason he is quite respected. Some people do feel he has a bit of an ego, but its a matter of whos side your on with the drama between houses. most of it is just ridiculous. For me...EO no1 was a home run. After that it seemed Ensar began his musk obsession and i did not like eo no 2 or tigerlust. But i am not a fan of that musk. that same musk is holding me back from crime & punishment. some people love it. I recently acquired a bottle or Sultan Rose attar and I feel it is another 10/10. If youre a fan of rose id say it holds its own against Malik al taif, triad, zemfira....
    Ensar seems to have a great skill in Eastern style of perfume but does not always hit with critics that are more familiar with the western style of perfuming as say Dmitri Bortnikoff or Russian Adam seem to. The later both seem to have a eastern style to distillation and ingredient gathering but a bit more of a western style when it comes to mixing and blending.
    Currently wearing: Sova by Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by solvovir View Post
    many perfumers today use Ensar's oils in their perfumes and attars. I think for that reason he is quite respected. Some people do feel he has a bit of an ego, but its a matter of whos side your on with the drama between houses. most of it is just ridiculous. For me...EO no1 was a home run. After that it seemed Ensar began his musk obsession and i did not like eo no 2 or tigerlust. But i am not a fan of that musk. that same musk is holding me back from crime & punishment. some people love it. I recently acquired a bottle or Sultan Rose attar and I feel it is another 10/10. If youre a fan of rose id say it holds its own against Malik al taif, triad, zemfira....
    Ensar seems to have a great skill in Eastern style of perfume but does not always hit with critics that are more familiar with the western style of perfuming as say Dmitri Bortnikoff or Russian Adam seem to. The later both seem to have a eastern style to distillation and ingredient gathering but a bit more of a western style when it comes to mixing and blending.
    How do people use his oils? I'm just wondering because that doesn't make sense to be Ensar seems to have some of the most expensive stuff around and if you use his oils but sell it for cheaper how does that work you know?

Basenotes Plus

How do people use his oils? I'm just wondering because that doesn't make sense to be Ensar seems to have some of the most expensive stuff around and if you use his oils but sell it for cheaper how does that work you know?
    they do not entirely use ensars oils.

they do not entirely use ensars oils.
    They probably garnish their perfumes with a drop of Ensar Oud. It makes for good marketing.
    Currently wearing: Musk Khabib by Bortnikoff

Not everyone thinks that and not everyone feels that way there. Many users highly rate and wear his oils. In fact many of his oils are reviewed rather well on that site. Anyone into Oud will know and understand the quality that ensar brings to the table along with his ego but nowhere is he regarded purely as a huckster or fraud except to some people who don’t like him which is fine. Not everyone has to like what he does. But a fraud he is not.
    Last edited by Castingshadows; 25th May 2020 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by FragSyndrome View Post
    They probably garnish their perfumes with a drop of Ensar Oud. It makes for good marketing.
    I just bought an Attar centered around Oud Yaquob. I own Oud Yaquob and it’s apparent the majority of the composition is Oud Yaqoub and not just a drop of his oil for marketing.

I guess you just have to learn how to decipher between opinions, facts, and nonsense. Not just when buying oud but with all things in life. This is something not taught in schools, how to think critically. Every roadside diner in the US has a sign out front that says “world’s best cup of coffee” but if you have any life experience you pay no attention to that. Let the oud speak for itself and learn to separate fact from opinion and useful vs redundant information. Ensar is highly regarded as a revolutionary oud distiller around the world for a reason, not because of “marketing”.

I know that Sultan pasha has used some of Ensar’s oils as part of the base of a few of his Attars. In particular, Aurum D’anghkor which uses Encens D’anghkor from EO. It is an incredibly beautiful scent and plenty expensive. But the beauty of Oud is even a small amount, percentage wise will very much alter the profile of an Attar and function as an incredible fixative that keeps the base going for hours longer.
    Currently wearing: Douleur! by Bogue Profumo

Thinking of pulling the trigger on the “Ultimate Oud Sampler”... any thoughts? It might be cheaper just to buy the samples minus the “legends”

Anyone else find it interesting that Ensar hasn’t had a chance to smell any of his newest releases including Tigerlust and Crime and Punishment? I was pretty surprised to read his Instagram post saying he composed the fragrance entirely by proxy and Kruger followed his directions. I never would have expected this to be the case but Tigerlust is hands down my favorite perfume I own. I wonder how much it might change once Ensar has the chance to actually smell it. Apparently due to travel/flight/product restrictions since March has kept Ensar locked down wherever he’s currently at.

Anyone else find it interesting that Ensar hasnít had a chance to smell any of his newest releases including Tigerlust and Crime and Punishment? I was pretty surprised to read his Instagram post saying he composed the fragrance entirely by proxy and Kruger followed his directions. I never would have expected this to be the case but Tigerlust is hands down my favorite perfume I own. I wonder how much it might change once Ensar has the chance to actually smell it. Apparently due to travel/flight/product restrictions since March has kept Ensar locked down wherever heís currently at.
    Really? Thatís weird. I guess since he already knew the formulation with EO1 and EO2 he was able to make the changes without smelling. Iíd be interested in any changes he makes too. Tigerlust is my Holy Grail...but EO is too. Everything he does from perfumes to Ouds is absolutely incredible. Iíd look forward to his tweaks...maybe make it even stronger.

I think I know what CRIME & PUNISHMENT means.

I tried out EO2 again last night and realized how much it smells like Crime & Punishment “lite”. Then about the name, when Nikhil reviewed EO2 and said it had no depth and wasn’t complex, Ensar jacked up that raspberry note and said “Crime & Punishment” with the Punishment being...”here’s the same scent on steroids, in your face, F off!”. This is something brilliant artists do at times and....we reap the benefits! The only reason EO2 was reviewed in that way by Nikhil was because he already tasted the masterpiece EO1. I think if it was the first he smelled by EO he would have been floored and spoke of it more highly. Just an interesting thought I had.

Basenotes Member

Pulled the trigger on EO no 1 PP...sounds amazing,and as a lover of Bortnikoff and (some) Areej lol,looking forward to receiving it...going down that rabbit hole at a rapid rate...

Anyone else find it interesting that Ensar hasn’t had a chance to smell any of his newest releases including Tigerlust and Crime and Punishment? I was pretty surprised to read his Instagram post saying he composed the fragrance entirely by proxy and Kruger followed his directions. I never would have expected this to be the case but Tigerlust is hands down my favorite perfume I own. I wonder how much it might change once Ensar has the chance to actually smell it. Apparently due to travel/flight/product restrictions since March has kept Ensar locked down wherever he’s currently at.
    Tigerlust was finished way before March. Where did you see this?

I have a hard time believing that Ensar would make a fragrance by proxy. That dude is a perfectionist. Imagine a reviewer criticizing his ďfragrance by proxyĒ.... he would never let it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dothraki View Post
    I think I know what CRIME & PUNISHMENT means.

I tried out EO2 again last night and realized how much it smells like Crime & Punishment “lite”. Then about the name, when Nikhil reviewed EO2 and said it had no depth and wasn’t complex, Ensar jacked up that raspberry note and said “Crime & Punishment” with the Punishment being...”here’s the same scent on steroids, in your face, F off!”. This is something brilliant artists do at times and....we reap the benefits! The only reason EO2 was reviewed in that way by Nikhil was because he already tasted the masterpiece EO1. I think if it was the first he smelled by EO he would have been floored and spoke of it more highly. Just an interesting thought I had.
    I feel that although you can make stuff in a traditional Middle Eastern style smell good, there's only so far you can go with blending the same ingredients over and over. Ensar's fear and distaste of aroma chemicals means he can never really step out of the realm of attar to fine perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    It was on his Instagram story. He was using the analogy of Mozart never hearing his symphony he composed. He said because of travel restrictions where he’s at both Tigerlust and Crime and Punishment hasn’t been smelt by his nose.

It was on his Instagram story. He was using the analogy of Mozart never hearing his symphony he composed. He said because of travel restrictions where heís at both Tigerlust and Crime and Punishment hasnít been smelt by his nose.

Quote Originally Posted by FragSyndrome View Post
    I have a hard time believing that Ensar would make a fragrance by proxy. That dude is a perfectionist. Imagine a reviewer criticizing his “fragrance by proxy”.... he would never let it happen.
    It was on his story and what he wrote. It amazed me as well that he would let it happen but he did. I’m not making this up it what’s he wrote.

D3B357C3-5B18-4C7B-B887-C619294FD061.jpgI’d like to suggest that POSSIBLY you may have misunderstood Ensar’s story. Crime & Punishment was out by February... so he had been working on it for a while before then and Tigerlust came out... last year? I honestly don’t believe he wouldn’t at least sample his namesake perfume line by now. I mean... we all have! That post above has a picture of ensar holding up an oil and it says “Tigerlust in the making”

The one thing I think he may have meant with Tigerlust was a reformulation. He claims he hasn’t smelled the finished products. Kruger would bring samples back and forth of ingredients but he never smelled the sum total of the parts so what I take from that is he’s maybe smelt these in early and unfinished stages but has never smelled the final product. He said there was an issue with getting goods into wherever he’s living and because of those restrictions he’s never smelled the compositions. I really wish I screen shotted the story but I knew if I said something this would come up and it wouldn’t be believable. From what I remember hearing, some countries immediately lockdown their borders in the initial stages of Covid well before western states locked down in March and April.

If anyone else saw the story please chime in so I don’t sound crazy haha.

Basenotes Plus

castingshadows is correct. i just asked ensar and he said the same thing. he hasnt had a chance to try the final product since lockdown.

castingshadows is correct. i just asked ensar and he said the same thing. he hasnt had a chance to try the final product since lockdown.
    That is absolutely nuts. I wonder why he never smelled Tigerlust. I smelled it before anyone was worried about Covid and I don’t even own the brand!

I’m not gonna lie, I find this EXTREMELY disappointing after that over the top write up for a perfume he never even smelled.

Default All Things Ensar Oud

Iím not gonna lie, I find this EXTREMELY disappointing after that over the top write up for a perfume he never even smelled.
    That. My impression of Ensar was that he would have chosen not to release that fragrance until he got his nose on the composition and tweaked it accordingly.

This leads to my confirmation of my other impression of Ensar: heís all about the money.

I wouldn’t say I’m disappointed but rather impressed at the skills that Adam and Thomas have acquired and I feel they should be praised for making such amazing compositions. Ensar may be the composer however the actual orchestra is proving itself as highly skilled and I wouldn’t be surprised if both of them start composing their own fragrances in the future.

This is pretty crazy. I have already purchased both Tigerlust and Crime & Punishment, so I am able to let the fragrances speak for themselves. That said, I may not have purchased either if I knew the "perfumer" of the fragrances hadn't actually blended or even smelled the final products before putting them up for sale.

Tigerlust is very good, and I am glad I own it. Crime & Punishment in EDP format is great. The Pure Parfum, however, smells bland, is short lived, and comes across rather flat on my skin. It smells like an unfinished product or one that possibly still needs time to macerate. This is the type of thing that could be avoided by the perfumer smelling their fragrance before marketing it and putting it up for sale. Or maybe it is just that way to my nose. As I mentioned in my post last week about the C&P PP, I encourage anyone with differing opinions to weigh in. The last thing I want to do is dissuade anyone from trying something because of my subjective opinion, which in this case is rather harsh. I also have a hunch (and a genuine hope) it just needs more time in the bottle.

I've had numerous positive experiences with the brand. Before C&P PP, I have appreciated the very great attention to detail and quality ingredients used. Customer service has always been superb. I wanted to say that before I make my next statement, which is that I feel some trust has been lost. Selling a perfume under your name which you have not properly vetted is not impressive in my opinion, nor is particularly ethical. It certainly does not make one a modern-day Mozart. I will continue to follow the brand, because my positive experiences far outweigh this one negative experience, but I won't be blind-buying products from EO in the future.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast