Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Default Re: All Things Ensar Oud

Quote Originally Posted by Dothraki View Post
    I’m not arguing that...but to say an artificial scent can mimick the real scent “better” is a ridiculous statement. I’m not referring to making a lilac accord for instance because you cannot distill lilac.
    In defense of naturals, I’d certainly agree with 911LAMBMELB that there are certain natural compounds that haven’t been successfullly synthesized, Oud and Musk(maybe I’d add ambergris) being the BIG ones. If you want to make a composition centered around a great Oud or a great musk, synthetics will only get you so far. My guess is that a complex organic solution(like an Oud oil) is constantly in a state of reactivity when it comes in contact with skin ph... that is why these perfumes have such kaleidoscopic scent profiles that vary so significantly from customer to customer. A synthetic version of Oud may be able to catch a snap shot of one of these accords but it just doesn’t seem to sparkle the way real Oud does. Especially an expertly distilled Oud from the finest sourced trees. This surely is a big part of why we all love Ensar. He is so good at this.

But it is harder to get these star materials to play nice in complex formulas. As Profumo so brilliant notes, you have to avoid the fragrant soup: mud. And that’s why I love Profumo’s work: he gets beautiful Vanilla/tobacco naturals, lovely spiced woods, grasses, oakmoss, Oud ... each of his compositions feels lean and focused. Very very nice work indeed(especially Oakmoss, Hindu Kush, Mecca Balsam, Milano Cafe and the Oud caravan series).
    Currently wearing: Douleur! by Bogue Profumo

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post

But it is harder to get these star materials to play nice in complex formulas. As Profumo so brilliant notes, you have to avoid the fragrant soup: mud. And that’s why I love Profumo’s work: he gets beautiful Vanilla/tobacco naturals, lovely spiced woods, grasses, oakmoss, Oud ... each of his compositions feels lean and focused. Very very nice work indeed(especially Oakmoss, Hindu Kush, Mecca Balsam, Milano Cafe and the Oud caravan series).
    Cool, I added the Profumos you mentioned to my cart, samples. Oakmoss sounds awesome. But I have to ask... what are your thoughts on Bortnikoff? Specifically Amber cologne, Musk Khabib and Mysterious Oud?

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Cool, I added the Profumos you mentioned to my cart, samples. Oakmoss sounds awesome. But I have to ask... what are your thoughts on Bortnikoff? Specifically Amber cologne, Musk Khabib and Mysterious Oud?
    Sharif is my personal favorite try to look into that one also. The 15.5ml size is just perfect. I finally found a full bottle of Mysterious Oud which is exquisite.

Here is what I mean by synthetics can be better than naturals. If you're taking a natural substance, and saying this is the best that can ever be achieved, then of course nothing else can beat that. But what if you open the box, and step out? Take orange blossom. A wonderful ingredient. Limited by the fact it can only ever be as orange blossom is. Now take Serge Luten's Cuir Mauresque. Sheldrake takes the orange blossom, and ramps up the methyl anthranilate which naturally occurs in orange blossom to an almost obscene amount. This cannot be done with a natural substance. This makes the synthetic superior to the natural.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    Here is what I mean by synthetics can be better than naturals. If you're taking a natural substance, and saying this is the best that can ever be achieved, then of course nothing else can beat that. But what if you open the box, and step out? Take orange blossom. A wonderful ingredient. Limited by the fact it can only ever be as orange blossom is. Now take Serge Luten's Cuir Mauresque. Sheldrake takes the orange blossom, and ramps up the methyl anthranilate which naturally occurs in orange blossom to an almost obscene amount. This cannot be done with a natural substance. This makes the synthetic superior to the natural.

You’ve completely mistaken opinions for facts. No one is doubting that synthetics are superior in YOUR opinion. You’re not going to change anyone’s mind here because we all come to our own conclusions without forcing them on the community.

How long does EO usually keep organic ouds available? I need to grab some Satori Fusho before it’s gone :0

How long does EO usually keep organic ouds available? I need to grab some Satori Fusho before it’s gone :0
    He brings back different versions quite often but I wouldn’t bank on it smelling the same. You can always ask Thomas or Adam what the stock is looking like. Also if you contact them directly you can get offerings not on the site and smaller quantities for sale than what’s listed.

I think Amber Cologne is quite likable, though not the most original or dazzling of the Bortnikoff line. Mysterious wasn’t my favorite of his ouds and musk khabib isn’t my kind of thing. I really love Oud Maximus and Oud Monarch, as well as Triad, Bonheur and Oud Sinharaja.

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    You’ve completely mistaken opinions for facts. No one is doubting that synthetics are superior in YOUR opinion. You’re not going to change anyone’s mind here because we all come to our own conclusions without forcing them on the community.
    I mean guy come on of course it's up to everyone's opinion. I'm telling you my reasoning and now instead of addressing those you're attempting to move the goal posts. That's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    I mean guy come on of course it's up to everyone's opinion. I'm telling you my reasoning and now instead of addressing those you're attempting to move the goal posts. That's fine.
    Synthetics will always smell like synthetics....when all is said and done. If you prefer synthetics that’s great for you because they are more available, cheaper and will always smell exactly the same. I don’t mind synthetics...certain ones, but naturals are in a league of their own.

He brings back different versions quite often but I wouldn’t bank on it smelling the same. You can always ask Thomas or Adam what the stock is looking like. Also if you contact them directly you can get offerings not on the site and smaller quantities for sale than what’s listed.
    Awesome, good idea thanks!!

I think Amber Cologne is quite likable, though not the most original or dazzling of the Bortnikoff line. Mysterious wasn’t my favorite of his ouds and musk khabib isn’t my kind of thing. I really love Oud Maximus and Oud Monarch, as well as Triad, Bonheur and Oud Sinharaja.
    I’m wondering if mine need to sit..or if it’s just my nose but, I got 2 suntan lotions and a spiced potpourri. They smelled nice but in the way the lotions and potpourri smell to me. I was sort of expecting something else I guess. I’ll give oud max and monarch a try. Thanks.

I’m wondering if mine need to sit..or if it’s just my nose but, I got 2 suntan lotions and a spiced potpourri. They smelled nice but in the way the lotions and potpourri smell to me. I was sort of expecting something else I guess. I’ll give oud max and monarch a try. Thanks.
    My wife says they smell like tanning lotion as well. She said Sir Winston definitely smells like a sun tan lotion used in old folks homes. The first day I wore it she was like uhhhhh no. You’re not wearing that nasty scent in the house!

Then she said Amber Cologne smelled like 14 year old boys who got sweaty after the gym. I’d imagine it’s the ambergris she’s talking about.

My wife says they smell like tanning lotion as well. She said Sir Winston definitely smells like a sun tan lotion used in old folks homes. The first day I wore it she was like uhhhhh no. You’re not wearing that nasty scent in the house!

Then she said Amber Cologne smelled like 14 year old boys who got sweaty after the gym. I’d imagine it’s the ambergris she’s talking about.
    I’d love to find a sun tan lotion that smells like Tuberose, fresh green tobacco and ambergris! Sounds like a pretty wild day at the beach. Lol

I’d love to find a sun tan lotion that smells like Tuberose, fresh green tobacco and ambergris! Sounds like a pretty wild day at the beach. Lol
    Yeah exactly! I want to know what nursing home she was at because it’s a rather wonderful scent. A lot of what I wear reminds her of death for some reason because I get the nursing home analogy quite often.

“You wore Oud today didn’t you? Wanna know how I know? It’s cuz you smell like a musty old man in the nursing home and rotting wood”

Every. Damn. Time.

Yeah exactly! I want to know what nursing home she was at because it’s a rather wonderful scent. A lot of what I wear reminds her of death for some reason because I get the nursing home analogy quite often.

“You wore Oud today didn’t you? Wanna know how I know? It’s cuz you smell like a musty old man in the nursing home and rotting wood”

Every. Damn. Time.
    Fragrances can be incredible memory machines. Our brains have such visceral connections to scent that it tries to figure out what it reminds us of, what it means... nursing homes are a complex mix of scents both pleasant and unpleasant. Decay, unwashed bodies, cleaning agents, laundry detergents, food, make-up, old school vintage perfumes... it's not totally surprising. As she gets a new context for some of these compositions, she may end up loving them. My partner used to be disgusted by middle eastern perfume on me and now she's always like mmmmmm INCENSE, mmmmmm DARK GRASS, mmmmmm SWEET.

Whereas her family is from the Philippines and she immediately got the more tropical work of Prin Lomos and the Auphorie brothers, which took me a bit longer to get my mind around. We live in NY so we're both used to more experimental perfumes(those tend to skew towards industrial notes) and western "French" styles that are so ubiquitous here.

Oh wow...I didn’t get any nasty smells from them. Just didn’t get anything that interesting out of them. These were the “safest” naturals I’ve smelled, like could be designer house. Not dissing on them but just weren’t anything special.

Basenotes Plus

Either your wife has a wild imagination or she’s spent time at some upscale nursing home where the residents spend their days sun-tanning.

The bit about sweaty 14 year olds however left me speechless lol... IMO Amber Cologne is just about the easiest Bortnikoff to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Either your wife has a wild imagination or she’s spent time at some upscale nursing home where the residents spend their days sun-tanning.

The bit about sweaty 14 year olds however left me speechless lol... IMO Amber Cologne is just about the easiest Bortnikoff to wear.
    Her mom is a caregiver so she grew up in and around nursing homes. I try so hard to find wearable scents that don’t remind her of her childhood. I was shocked about amber cologne as well because I was so proud to be wearing such a beautiful scent. I took my shirt off and was basking in the sun and then the rain came and ruined my parade haha!

The new SLA is up for sale now.

Quote Originally Posted by mahmadna View Post
    It sounds interesting. If any of you order it, I’d love to hear back about how it compares to past batches!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mahmadna View Post
    Tigerlust and C&P both sold out too.
    Do you even niche and/or artisanal?
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

No more EDP’s

Only the EDP tester set is left

Basenotes Plus

I heard from a reputable source the tester atomisers leak pretty badly. Anyone else had a similar problem?

Btw I’m grabbing some of the latest SLA.

Basenotes Plus

Her mom is a caregiver so she grew up in and around nursing homes. I try so hard to find wearable scents that don’t remind her of her childhood. I was shocked about amber cologne as well because I was so proud to be wearing such a beautiful scent. I took my shirt off and was basking in the sun and then the rain came and ruined my parade haha!
    LOL. IMO a scent reminding me of my childhood days is always a keeper. Guess my childhood days were pretty glorious even though I lost my dad when I was 7.

I heard from a reputable source the tester atomisers leak pretty badly. Anyone else had a similar problem?

They don’t leak at all. The glass will break if dropped though.

I haven’t had any issue with the testers and they travel with me quite often.

One thing I’ve noticed is that you can do half sprays or even a couple drops from the tester but the rest spills out around the tip of the atomizer and it’s not always noticeable until the next day when you take the lid off and a tiny bit pours out.

It only happens when i limit the spray amount.

LOL. IMO a scent reminding me of my childhood days is always a keeper. Guess my childhood days were pretty glorious even though I lost my dad when I was 7.
    Yes! When I wear anything animalic it immediately brings back fond memories. My family were tobacco farmers before the government bought up all the land but I’ll never forget the smell of fresh fields of tobacco and hay as far as the eye can see.

Yes! When I wear anything animalic it immediately brings back fond memories. My family were tobacco farmers before the government bought up all the land but I’ll never forget the smell of fresh fields of tobacco and hay as far as the eye can see.
    Incredible! I bet that was quite an aromatic place! I think Ensar’s Thai Tabac is quite interesting. Have you tried it? And as someone with experience: Does it feel like a true green tobacco note to you? It seems pretty authentic to me but I have limited experience.

Incredible! I bet that was quite an aromatic place! I think Ensar’s Thai Tabac is quite interesting. Have you tried it? And as someone with experience: Does it feel like a true green tobacco note to you? It seems pretty authentic to me but I have limited experience.
    Yeah it really was! The rolling hills of eastern Kentucky are highly underrated imo. Tobacco fields sprinkled in and around the foothills of the Appalachians. Pure beauty.

Everyone I’ve spoken to about Thai Tabac has said it’s not very tobacco forward. Once my spending limit is lifted I want to get ahold of the Attar and see for myself. I’d imagine it’s vetiver heavy because I’m pretty sure he used Aroha D’Afrique which has very strong smoke/resinous/faint tobacco vibes. It’s been one I’ve had my eye on for awhile.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast