Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default All Things Ensar Oud

Time for a dedicated Ensar Oud thread.

I'm a huge fan of all the pure parfums and most of the attars. Those of you who know the house will know that it is famous for very high quality natural ingredients (particularly pure oud oils, as the name suggests). Opinions vary greatly and some of the scents are challenging.

Today I am wearing Iris Noir, it was previously available in attar format but now in pure parfum. It is absolutely delightful. Sophisticated with a nice sweetness and clean oud(s).

Recently a few new attars were released, the one that was most appealing to me is "Black Changho"

"Black Changho doesnít smell of ash or burnt-black gum. Instead, walls of resinous incense waft around you courtesy of the noir selection of ouds, steeped in vintage Timor sandalwood, finished with a splash of patchouli to compliment the earthy drydown. And thatís it."

There is also a more accessible EO EDP set, which is a great chance to try out 4 fragrances (although I myself prefer the pure parfums).
    Last edited by 911LambMelb; 23rd May 2020 at 02:50 AM.
    Do you even niche and/or artisanal?
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

Default Re: Ensar Oud

Love what Ensar does. I own 3 of his attars and enjoy each and every one
    I think you meant Iris Noir, Irisoir is Sultan Pasha's iris attar

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    "In the kingdom of smells, everything is either bliss or torture, sometimes so subtly blended that often I find myself, when the many strands of a supposedly simple odor are trapped in my palpitating nostrils, actually listening to it, as carefully as if I were unraveling a symphony's sonorous phrases. "

-Collete, "Fragrance"

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by feeble_25 View Post
    Love what Ensar does. I own 3 of his attars and enjoy each and every one
    I think you meant Iris Noir, Irisoir is Sultan Pasha's iris attar

Hahah whooops. Both are great! Really really loving this pure parfum version.

I have edited my post in any case.

I have yet to test Iris Noir, what's your take on it ?

"In the kingdom of smells, everything is either bliss or torture, sometimes so subtly blended that often I find myself, when the many strands of a supposedly simple odor are trapped in my palpitating nostrils, actually listening to it, as carefully as if I were unraveling a symphony's sonorous phrases. "

-Collete, "Fragrance"

Basenotes Member

Nice to see this thread created. I am big fan of EO and his works.

One of my favs is actually the much lesser known composition - Sultan Rose Attar (hindi oud (senkoh style); chinese and iranian rose; and sandalwood). Its a simple composition, but its stunning. For some reason i tend to prefer his more simple pieces including EO2 (people have called it "linear").
    Currently wearing: Kyara by Di Ser

Love Sultan Leather Attar. Iris Ghalia and EO 2 are wonderful as well!
    Currently wearing: Phtaloblue by Tauer

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

I see he has a couple of sets at a reduced price for 9.5ml parfums and free shipping. I am eager to try Monsieur Oud in the three set he has compiled.

In before the usuals arrive with their “I hate Ensar and would never buy from him, please ask me why so I can tell you about how mean he was on the forums”.

Every thread ends up like that. It’s not right.

Basenotes Plus

Coming soon...

Siberian Musk & Ambergris

Not soon enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Coming soon...

Not soon enough!
    Very nice indeed. Looking forward to these.

Basenotes Plus

Unfortunately I've never sniffed any of his attars but I'm a very happy owner of full bottles of both EO1 and EO2- the pure parfum concentrations. I also have two testers of Iris Ghalia and would love to go in on Crime & Punishment. I feel these perfumes are very sophisticated in their simplicity. There aren't a lot of bells and whistles as he really lets the materials do the talking. I've worn both EO1 and 2 during the past week and these wearings definitely renewed my appreciation for them. Incredibly strong! I typically like to spray it up but there's just no reasonable circumstance for more than one spray with these. These bottles will last forever- my children will be inheriting them. Haha.

Basenotes Plus

Coming soon...

Not soon enough!
    Ooooooh, wow!
    Currently wearing: Miyako by Auphorie

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by feeble_25 View Post
    I have yet to test Iris Noir, what's your take on it ?

Love it. Nice punchy Iris note, but it isn't the only key player. Well complimented by clean ouds.
    Doesn't have that punchy blackcurrant/musk vibe from Iris Ghalia though (which I prefer).

Coming soon...

Not soon enough!
    More details please? That sounds like a ripper combo.

Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    In before the usuals arrive with their “I hate Ensar and would never buy from him, please ask me why so I can tell you about how mean he was on the forums”.

Every thread ends up like that. It’s not right.
    Will be ignored/reported. Most of it IMO stems from jealousy/trolls.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    Unfortunately I've never sniffed any of his attars but I'm a very happy owner of full bottles of both EO1 and EO2- the pure parfum concentrations. I also have two testers of Iris Ghalia and would love to go in on Crime & Punishment. I feel these perfumes are very sophisticated in their simplicity. There aren't a lot of bells and whistles as he really lets the materials do the talking. I've worn both EO1 and 2 during the past week and these wearings definitely renewed my appreciation for them. Incredibly strong! I typically like to spray it up but there's just no reasonable circumstance for more than one spray with these. These bottles will last forever- my children will be inheriting them. Haha.
    Particularly so with the Pure Parfum version. So strong.
    Massive projection and sillage.

EO1 and Iris Ghalia in particular are big performers on my skin. Just goes to show, it CAN be done with naturals (albeit heavy naturals lol).

I don't really like Ensar Oud because there's such an up charge on his products that I don't think correlates with quality. That being said I have no reason to believe it isn't top tier quality, but nothing is worth what he and others like him ask. I'm sure you'd be able to find the same oud in the Middle East or Asia at lower prices. Ensar know Westerners will pay a premium.

Tigerlust right now is one of my all time favorite perfumes.

The hybrid floral/green tea opening is reminiscent of EO1 but is more wearable and just overall pleasant. Every stage is clearly defined and the scent progresses over 12 hours on my skin. The mid is probably my favorite aspect of this fragrance. I get a lot of smooth, silky coffee meets Ambergris and clean Oud wrapped up in musk. The drydown feels like I’m rubbing soft animal fur in my nostrils. It’s softly spiced and the musk turns into Carmel. There’s not a rough edge to be found.

EO1 is another favorite as well. It’s smoothed out over the last two years. I have the 2018 Pure Parfum edition which I think was the second reformulation. The opening is green tea on steroids. The Taif Rose is legendary and the Oud/Ambergris drydown is the most beautiful I’ve smelled. I wish EO1 had the opening of Tigerlust but I also wish that Tigerlust had the dry down of EO1. Both are masterpieces in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Love Sultan Leather Attar. Iris Ghalia and EO 2 are wonderful as well!
    I showed my mother Sultan Leather Attar and she started crying because she said it reminded her of my grandpas colognes he’d wear back in the 60’s when she was a child.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    I showed my mother Sultan Leather Attar and she started crying because she said it reminded her of my grandpas colognes he’d wear back in the 60’s when she was a child.
    This is what makes these fragrances so special.
    They're a throwback to a bygone era. As a younger guy, I appreciate the quality of the art and I love wearing Sultan Leather Attar and EO1 Pure Parfum together.

That’s so beautiful!

Basenotes Member Sultan al Hindi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    I don't really like Ensar Oud because there's such an up charge on his products that I don't think correlates with quality. That being said I have no reason to believe it isn't top tier quality, but nothing is worth what he and others like him ask. I'm sure you'd be able to find the same oud in the Middle East or Asia at lower prices. Ensar know Westerners will pay a premium.
    Yup, I don't blame him either as its just simple supply and demand. The famous 'A fool and his money....' quote often comes to mind when i think of certain 'fragheads' who suffer from the incredibly new age sickness of extreme consumerism.It's like dude, I get you appreciate good perfume but do you really need to jump on every release that has some hype behind it?

If you have endless amounts of cash and you want to blow it ASAP, there's plenty of people in need whose life you can seriously make a difference to that would bring you much more satisfaction than just blowing it on one frag after another until you have more than you could ever use in a lifetime!

Nobody is guaranteed their next breath so why hoard on such an unnecessary luxury? Yes, you say it will go to your family etc but whose to say they wont hate the stuff and just sell it to the first guy that drops them a dollar?

Basenotes Plus

This is another of the newly released attars. Looking forward to my sample!

Laos Laosan

Floral without any flowers, cream soda green, and a soft narcotic bite from gently piercing artisanal wild Laotian oud that’s at the heart of the fragrance.

This oudilicious elixir swims in a fusion of aged Tongan sandalwood oil with a touch of African vetiver. The combo’s spicy warmth flows perfectly with the rare Laotian cooling green zest.

A satisfying medicinal undertone, akin to what you find in fine Vietnamese agarwood, lines the citrus-sweet Laotian cool and makes this zen attar at once easy to wear and therapeutic.

Calming, yet with a tenacious heart phase that projects nicely, gracing your nose with linear tenacity you wouldn’t expect from most attars. A newly married fusion of scents that come together so seamlessly in a unique tune called Laos Laosan.

I case there's any interest, strifeknot added 3 parfums to his split list.
    Ensar Oud - Iris Noir parfum
    Ensar Oud - Monsieur Oud parfum
    Ensar Oud - Thai Tabac parfum

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    All 3 are good. I particularly like Iris Noir and Thai Tabac. Worth trying for those who are trying to get into the house.

Started the day with Dixit & Zack’s Rising Mysore and just swiped some of Ensar’s Santal Royale. What a great sandalwood!

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I jumped at the chance to grab some Iris Noir from Strifeknot. Thank you for the heads up.

Started the day with Dixit & Zack’s Rising Mysore and just swiped some of Ensar’s Santal Royale. What a great sandalwood!
    Excellent choices for both. I got a nice sample of Santal Royale with my last purchase from Ensar along with Musc 1984. Both sandalwoods are exquisite. Musc 1984 was my first experience with musk as the main star of the show and it smelled pretty similar to what we wore deer hunting when I was a child. The hunters in my area would buy deer musk and pour it all over their clothes to mask their “human” scent. I don’t know if it was from the Musc deer or not but the smell is exactly what I remembered as a child.

I feel like the sandalwood Dixit and Zak are using in Rising Mysore is right on par with Santal Royale.

Basenotes Plus

Wearing black changho today.
    Smokey brilliance.
    Those of you who are familiar with Aroha Kyaku will know the oud profile (whether it's the same oud Ensar has used here I'm not sure but it does smell like it.)

Shortly after the initial smokey/incensey oud blast you have a nice creamy sandalwood that lasts well into the drydown as the oud becomes less prominent. There is a hint of patchouli according to the notes list but I don't really detect it.

Pretty happy with this one. A nice, simple attar with a darker twist.

Wore EO2 pure parfum two days ago. Lasted 26-27 hours ON SKIN before I had to finally shower for the new day. Incredible longevity and amazing how it transitions after 16 hours to the sweetest amber.

Basenotes Plus

Wore EO2 pure parfum two days ago. Lasted 26-27 hours ON SKIN before I had to finally shower for the new day. Incredible longevity and amazing how it transitions after 16 hours to the sweetest amber.
    All the perfumes last for ages in my experience.
    Some more than others, but they're quite long lasting.
    Strong projection as well.

I think Iris Ghalia is the strongest (happens to be my favourite along with EO1 as well).

Quote Originally Posted by 911LambMelb View Post
    All the perfumes last for ages in my experience.
    Some more than others, but they're quite long lasting.
    Strong projection as well.

I think Iris Ghalia is the strongest (happens to be my favourite along with EO1 as well).
    I only got to test Iris Ghalia once before it was gone. But I loved it and it lasted on the strip for more than a month. I used it as a book mark!

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast