Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New game: One perfume every three days.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTricia View Post
    Any idea from when these 2 purse sprays and my other 50mL flacons might be?
    Thanks so much!
    I'm not sure, but I think the 6ml purse sprays were introduced in the early- to mid-'80s. Probably at the same time as the 50ml and 100ml sprays with the metal-skinned construction.

Your 7.5ml purse spray looks to be '80s vintage as well. It's hard to tell.

Which 50ml flacons are you asking about, the EDPs? I haven't studied those like I have the other concentrations. I think the EDPs were introduced in around 1986, if memory serves.

Look closely at the metal and plastic around the vials. It appears yours has a more fitted collar around the nozzle. I don't think you can pull your refill out from the top, can you? If you look at my other pictures, the refill vial just pops in through the top. Also, the plastic on yours looks squared, but on mine it looks round.
    No, the 50ml refill cannot be pulled out from the top. In fact, I've never been able to disassemble it further than what you see in the photo. Well, the nozzle piece can be pulled off the tube stem, but the bottle is stuck fast in the collar assembly. In other words, I don't think the case is actually refillable.
    Currently wearing: Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by roro View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think the 6ml purse sprays were introduced in the early- to mid-'80s. Probably at the same time as the 50ml and 100ml sprays with the metal-skinned construction.

Your 7.5ml purse spray looks to be '80s vintage as well. It's hard to tell.

Which 50ml flacons are you asking about, the EDPs? I haven't studied those like I have the other concentrations. I think the EDPs were introduced in around 1986, if memory serves.

No, the 50ml refill cannot be pulled out from the top. In fact, I've never been able to disassemble it further than what you see in the photo. Well, the nozzle piece can be pulled off the tube stem, but the bottle is stuck fast in the collar assembly. In other words, I don't think the case is actually refillable.
    That explains it. I thought your photo was also of a 6mL sprayer, lol. Thanks for all the great info.
    Currently wearing: Jubilation 25 by Amouage

I swear I didn't know Dr. Tricia was a Chanel No. 19 fan when I chose it, but it turned out nicely. (I did know about Cook.bot and roro!) Thank you, Doctor Tricia, and everyone else for your contributions to the No. 19 discussion.

First of all – thanks to Bavard for such a great topic on No.19 and for giving me this honour.
    3 days later, I‘ll be super glad if Cook.bot would choose the next fragrance.

But today is my day... So let‘s talk about Narciso Rodriguez today!

I could have chosen any particular fragrance (For Her is probably the flagwoman here), but let‘s talk about them all. It makes sense to talk about all of them at once, as Narciso Rodriguez line has a very distinct touch and feel in all of them – as if all their fragrances would be a part of the same line, the same idea. The thing uniting them all is Egyptian musk that Mr. Rodriguez found in his travels to Egypt and fell so hard in love with that he decided – all his fragrance line will showcase this exceptional scent, partly clean, partly animalic and very soft. His perfumers actually use a blend of many different synthetic musks to create the ultimate NR musk. It is done so because quite a lot of people are anosmic to one or another type of musk, and the goal here is to showcase the musk instead of allowing a part of population to be unable to smell it at all. The thing is – we are not only anosmic/hyperosmic to some types of musks, we do experience them slightly differently, too. That‘s why there are so many differing opinions on NR fragrances – some say they are subtle, work friendly, lovely and squeaky clean, and some say they are dirty, sexy and attention grabbing. The truth is, as almost always, somewhere in the middle. And what a gorgoeus smelling middle it is!

Here is my humble collection besides the not so humble Banshee guarding it:

NarcisoCat.jpg

Here you see, from the left – For Her EDT, For Her L‘Absolu, Narciso EDT and a 7,5 ml of Narciso Rouge EDP.

Narciso Rodriguez For Her EDT is the first fragrance of the line and the most popular of them all. (The pink EDP bottle came a bit later and started causing the confusion, because the EDT is a black bottle which comes in a pink box, and the EDP is a pink bottle which comes in a black box... And then just think about all these identical For Her rectangles and Narciso cubes that all look identical except for the colours and the juice inside. That Narciso guy is evil and I‘m sure he knows it.)

For Her EDT was created by perfumers Christine Nagel and Francis Kurkdjian in 2003 and has the top notes of Osmanthus & Orange blossom, head notes of Musk and base notes of Vetiver, Amber and Vanilla. I can‘t say that I‘m getting any amber or vanilla here, to me For Her is a soft, purring and heartachingly beautiful musk and osmanthus scent with woody undertones that make it less fluffy and give it more character. (The pink EDP has peach and rose in the top notes and is a bit fruitier, sweeter and less woody/vetiver-y than EDT. Also, EDT seems to be just as well – if not better – lasting on my skin, so choose the one you like more.) For Her EDT is the one that made me fall in love with Narciso Rodriguez scents, it still makes my eyes roll back every time I sniff it, it‘s just so sensual and elegant and soft.

For Her L‘Absolu was created by Aurélien Guichard in 2015 and it took me two tries in the store to fall in love with it. The first time I was thinking it‘s a bit too intense and pushy, but I liked the darkness in it. The second time I just took out my wallet and the deed was done. To me it‘s the sexiest scent I know. When I wear it, I feel as if I was wearing a silky underwear, stockings, heels and a corset – even when I‘m in leggings, woolen socks and a hoodie in reality.

The top notes are Jasmine & Tuberose, head notes are full of Musk, and base notes consists of Amber, Patchouli and Sandalwood according to BN. I feel a dark and sensual blend of musk, white florals, amber and some patch when I smell it – but it‘s blended that way that it‘s hard for me to discern the actual notes. It does smell dark purple and is a bit witchy.

Narciso EDT (the black cube) is a spin of Narciso EDP (the white cube), created by a perfumer Aurélien Guichard. All the Narciso cube series showcase Egyptian musk, Black & White Cedar and Vetiver, making them all warm, kind of soft, kind of sharp, kind of dry, kind of clean, kind of lived-in, kind of elegant and very cozy scents. The different coloured bottles play with the musk, cedar and vetiver blend and showcase different notes and aspects. EDP has Gardenia and Rose in the top notes, while EDT has Peony and Rose – and EDT is airier, lighter, a touch more floral, a bit subtler, while EDP is denser, a bit more woody, a bit heavier, a bit louder, a bit more.

Despite the light differences, they are similar enough, so I wouldn‘t advise to get both – UNLESS you are making Narciso your signature scent! THEN I think it would actually be great to have both EDT and EDP, and even Narciso Poudrée (Jasmine, Rose, Powdery musk, Cedar, Vetiver – the coziest, sweetest and powderiest of them all, and absolutely stunning, too) and Narciso Rouge, too – then it would be possible to keep the same signature scent profile every day while actually playing up the various facets depending on your mood and occasion. I would love to have them all, but I had to talk myself out of it. I was wondering between EDP, EDT and Poudrée and I knew it was a super hard decision, but one day I saw EDT with a huuuge discount and quickly decided that it‘s my favourite, my precious and the best of the bunch, and grabbed it like Gollum grabs the Ring.

Narciso Eau de Parfum Rouge was created in 2018 by was created by Nadege le Garlantezec and Sonia Constant, it adds more Tonka to the base notes and has Rose and Iris at the top. It‘s the heaviest, densest, dirtiest and muskiest of the cubes to my nose, and the most intense. It‘s also a bit powdery, but not in a sweet and cuddly way the Poudree is, it‘s somehow... more aggressive. Red colour seems to suit it well.
    It is still very good and all, but it‘s probably my least favourite cube. It is a bit easier to wear when you spray it, but as I have a dab bottle, I noticed it becomes much heavier and dirtier when dabbed – probably because the top notes are less pronounced. I overdo it and choke myself about every other time I wear it. The Narciso Eau de Toilette Rouge came in the end of 2019 and has lily of the valley instead of iris, and therefore is much airier, prettier, more spring-like and easier on my nose than the EDP – because iris is not my favourite note as you might have already guessed.

I think I could go on and on and on and on, and I haven‘t even talked about the beauty of For Her Pure Musk and the fun pink bottle and floral aspects of Fleur Musk For Her, and haven‘t told how excited I am to try Narciso Eau de Parfum Ambrée once it hits the stores... And I‘m absolutely waiting for your impressions on all of them – the ones I already love and the ones I haven‘t yet tried. I just love the whole line too much.

What are your favourite Narciso Rodriguez scents?
    Last edited by ClockworkAlice; 21st April 2020 at 07:38 PM. Reason: A photo and some grammar (please do tell me about the many syntax and other mistakes I make, I need to learn!)
    Currently wearing: Alaïa by Azzedine Alaïa

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    What are your favourite Narciso Rodriguez scents?
    Haven't tried any, but I may learn something.

We have Narciso Rodriguez For Her with glitter.

29429C32-E61E-48F9-A500-8B5547792EBA.jpg

We got it as an alternative/complement to Sarah J. Parker Lovely and we’ve been happy with it.

The L'Absolu flanker sounds tempting.

It's a fun, modern fragrance. My significant other wore Lovely on our first date, so the basic profile has been familiar these last two years. It looks like we've had this bottle since around June 2018, looking back at smelling notes.

This is the only Narciso Rodriguez fragrance I know.

Jules just asked me about our anniversary - it's making her sentimental. I told her she smelled good right when we first met, and she liked that.

My understanding is also that these fragrances feature synthetic musks that have continued to grow in popularity including Chanel's recent release, 1957.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I swear I didn't know Dr. Tricia was a Chanel No. 19 fan when I chose it, but it turned out nicely. (I did know about Cook.bot and roro!) Thank you, Doctor Tricia, and everyone else for your contributions to the No. 19 discussion.
    I guess I’m discovering that I like green florals. Who knew? Thank you all for the great insight. I’ll report back after I’ve worn the vintage and current 19 parfums.

Basenotes Plus

Here is my humble collection besides the not so humble Banshee guarding it:

NarcisoCat.jpg

Oh, my gosh, so adorable!

As for these fragrances, this is a new frontier. Your descriptions definitely piqued my curiosity. I am a big fan of Narciso Rodriguez as a designer of clothing. In particular, his jackets demonstrate unparalleled tailoring skills, and are favorites in my wardrobe.

I admit I tend to be skeptical of clothing designers who dive into fragrance, because I view perfumery as high art at its best, and rarely does an individual have the necessary skill and artistry to perform exceptionally in both genres. But then I remind myself that many of my favorite vintage scents came from fashion houses as well, and the fragrances are actually designed by genuine perfumers. So, I look forward to using your evaluations as a guide to explore some of these beauties. Thank you.
    Last edited by DrTricia; 22nd April 2020 at 08:59 PM.

Basenotes Plus

We got it as an alternative/complement to Sarah J. Parker Lovely and we’ve been happy with it.

It's a fun, modern fragrance. My significant other wore Lovely on our first date, so the basic profile has been familiar these last two years. It looks like we've had this bottle since around June 2018, looking back at smelling notes.

Jules just asked me about our anniversary - it's making her sentimental. I told her she smelled good right when we first met, and she liked that.

My understanding is also that these fragrances feature synthetic musks that have continued to grow in popularity including Chanel's recent release, 1957.
    It’s got glitter! We’re pretty certain I was a crow in a past life, as I am overly attracted to shiny things. I haven’t ever had the nerve to wear it other than on stage (I’m a singer), but I still like having it around. La Mer came out with a spray with a very subtle glitter that I may wear one day. It’s funny, my initial attraction to La Mer skin products was because I love the smell of them. I wonder what is in there that, to me, smells so heavenly?

But I digress. I wait with anticipation at more musings on the NR scents to better narrow down which to try.

You did a great job, ClockworkAlice. This part is especially pertinent:
    "I could have chosen any particular fragrance (For Her is probably the flagwoman here), but let‘s talk about them all. It makes sense to talk about all of them at once, as Narciso Rodriguez line has a very distinct touch and feel in all of them – as if all their fragrances would be a part of the same line, the same idea. The thing uniting them all is Egyptian musk that Mr. Rodriguez found in his travels to Egypt and fell so hard in love with that he decided – all his fragrance line will showcase this exceptional scent, partly clean, partly animalic and very soft."

That musk is indeed the through thread in all of the Narciso Rodriguez fragrances which makes them all seem quite familiar at least if not similar to one another. I own six NR scents (in edp) and have sampled a seventh. I love them all. It's hard for me to pick my favorite, but if I had to pick one (and I think some people might find them redundant) I might say Fleur Musc for Her.

The naming of these are very confusing to me, but when you get a flanker, it will bear a resemblance to the pillar and not be a totally unique scent with no common denominator but the name the way some companies milk them.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    That musk is indeed the through thread in all of the Narciso Rodriguez fragrances which makes them all seem quite familiar at least if not similar to one another. I own six NR scents (in edp) and have sampled a seventh. I love them all. It's hard for me to pick my favorite, but if I had to pick one (and I think some people might find them redundant) I might say Fleur Musc for Her.
    Sounds like a vote for the edp's and a hot tip on Fleur Musc for Her.

It’s got glitter!
    I am feeling special about the glitter!

Basenotes Plus

Wow, Alice, you're like a Narciso Rodriguez encyclopedia.

I've never owned a FB of any Narciso. Only have a decant I got in a sample swap, and it's only marked "NR EDT". By process of elimination, reading through your descriptions, I'm pretty sure it must be the original "For Her EDT" because that's the only one that fits and because the sender knew how fond I am of osmanthus.

And it is a very pretty realization of that floral, with soft woods backing it. It probably would never become a frequent flyer for me because it leans a little too far into ambery oriental territory, but a very well-built and sensual perfume, nonetheless.

Whoa, this looks pretty! I haven't seen a version with glitter. I'm not a glitter/shiny stuff person myself and I would make a terrible magpie, but this is pretty.
    Sarah Jessica Parker's Lovely is a very good alternative to NR For Her indeed - and a great fragrance on its own! It's different enough not to be called a straight out dupe, but the scent profile is pretty much the same - musky, woody, slightly floral, soft and elegant. I only tested it out briefly so I cannot fully compare, but I remember liking it quite a lot, too. It's a very good option to enjoy the NR musk and elegance without breaking the bank. The longevity seems lacking compared with NR scents that last me the whole day, but for the price you can really just spray it again.
    It's so lovely that she wore Lovely on your first date though! <3

Oh, my gosh, so adorable!

As for these fragrances, this is a new frontier. Your descriptions definitely peak my curiosity. I am a big fan of Narciso Rodriguez as a designer of clothing. In particular, his jackets demonstrate unparalleled tailoring skills, and are favorites in my wardrobe.

I admit I tend to be skeptical of clothing designers who dive into fragrance, because I view perfumery as high art at its best, and rarely does an individual have the necessary skill and artistry to perform exceptionally in both genres. But then I remind myself that many of my favorite vintage scents came from fashion houses as well, and the fragrances are actually designed by genuine perfumers. So, I look forward to using your evaluations as a guide to explore some of these beauties. Thank you.
    Awwww, thank you, DrTricia! <3
    It's your super lovely Gin that inspired me to share cat pictures anyway

Well, NR scents are neither green nor chypres (although I have seen someone describing For Her as a modern musk chypre, but the emphasis here should be on modern and musk), but I think the best ones and the most universally well regarded ones would be For Her EDT (tall black bottle, pink box, the one in my collection - the osmanthus gives it a superb softness and feels more unique than EDP to me, and even seems longer lasting, though both are just great) and Narciso EDP (the white cube - even though I chose the airier and lighter EDT, I think EDP would be a better choice for most basenoters, as it's fuller, deeper, stronger, thicker and with better sillage, and the gardenia gives it lovely creaminess). If you want more creaminess, lovely powderiness and some more sweetness (NR line isn't sweet by modern standards), then go for Narciso Poudree. And if you like deep, lush, seductive scents in the style of Poison/Hypnotic Poison, you might find For Her L'Absolu (the tall purple bottle - the one in my photo) right up your alley. Or, if you love rose and you want more fun and radiant florals over your musk, then go with Zilpha's favourite Fleur Musk For Her (the tall. very brightly pink bottle, not to be confused with For Her EDP - a pale pink one)

"I could have chosen any particular fragrance (For Her is probably the flagwoman here), but let‘s talk about them all. It makes sense to talk about all of them at once, as Narciso Rodriguez line has a very distinct touch and feel in all of them – as if all their fragrances would be a part of the same line, the same idea. The thing uniting them all is Egyptian musk that Mr. Rodriguez found in his travels to Egypt and fell so hard in love with that he decided – all his fragrance line will showcase this exceptional scent, partly clean, partly animalic and very soft."

The naming of these are very confusing to me, but when you get a flanker, it will bear a resemblance to the pillar and not be a totally unique scent with no common denominator but the name the way some companies milk them.
    Thank you, Zilpha! <3

I just knew you'll chime in here sooner or later - thank you for your input!
    Oh yes, the naming is very confusing, and when you add the identic bottles that just differ in colour, you have a true headache. Luckily they are all great, so even if you accidentally buy not the one you intended to get, you still have a great scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Wow, Alice, you're like a Narciso Rodriguez encyclopedia.

I've never owned a FB of any Narciso. Only have a decant I got in a sample swap, and it's only marked "NR EDT". By process of elimination, reading through your descriptions, I'm pretty sure it must be the original "For Her EDT" because that's the only one that fits and because the sender knew how fond I am of osmanthus.

And it is a very pretty realization of that floral, with soft woods backing it. It probably would never become a frequent flyer for me because it leans a little too far into ambery oriental territory, but a very well-built and sensual perfume, nonetheless.
    Haha, Cook.bot, I'll take it as a compliment, thank you!

Yes, if your decant contains osmanthus, it must be For Her EDT. When I first smelled it, I was in heaven. I looked up the notes and then I instantly knew that osmanthus is my favourite flower from now on.
    And what - too far into ambery-oriental territory?! o_O You must truly hate orientals and ambers with all your vetiver and greenery loving heart, I barely get any amber here...

Great choice ClockworkAlice!

Narciso Rodriguez for Her is a runner in our home. My best half wears tons of it and it smells heavenly on her.
    It is an extremely sexy perfume without being vulgar but one has to be very very careful with the sprayer because of the nuclear power of this stuff. Both sillage and longevity sind of MARTIAL PROPORTIONS!
    Narciso for Her is loaded with all kind of sweet accords but i mainly detect vanilla and musk.

The most beautiful woman on earth owns both versions (EDT and EDP) and i love them both.

Last year after her EDT bottle was nearly empty i thought of surprising her with a new bottle. But instead of the EDT i bought a bottle of the EDP version out of a mistake. (i didn't know then of the existence of both EDT and EDP versions which come in bottles with different colours).
    Of course i had to repair my mistake so i bought her an EDT bottle too
    I prefer the EDP (which to my nose isn't as powerful as the EDT and a bit more gentle) but she prefers the EDT version. They are anyway both very similar to my nose.
    The latest EDT bottle is in the meantime also empty so that it has been replaced with an even bigger one (150 ml) on Valentine's Day .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    Great choice ClockworkAlice!

Narciso Rodriguez for Her is a runner in our home. My best half wears tons of it and it smells heavenly on her.
    It is an extremely sexy perfume without being vulgar but one has to be very very careful with the sprayer because of the nuclear power of this stuff. Both sillage and longevity sind of MARTIAL PROPORTIONS!
    Narciso for Her is loaded with all kind of sweet accords but i mainly detect vanilla and musk.

The most beautiful woman on earth owns both versions (EDT and EDP) and i love them both.

Last year after her EDT bottle was nearly empty i thought of surprising her with a new bottle. But instead of the EDT i bought a bottle of the EDP version out of a mistake. (i didn't know then of the existence of both EDT and EDP versions which come in bottles with different colours).
    Of course i had to repair my mistake so i bought her an EDT bottle too
    I prefer the EDP (which to my nose isn't as powerful as the EDT and a bit more gentle) but she prefers the EDT version. They are anyway both very similar to my nose.
    The latest EDT bottle is in the meantime also empty so that it has been replaced with an even bigger one (150 ml) on Valentine's Day .
    Wooh, thank you for your contribution! I'm glad your woman loves Narciso Rodriguez scents, too. I also slightly prefer For Her EDT to EDP, but they're both so good that if anyone was so good to me and gifted me the EDP, I'd still be super happy and super thankful anyway, I'm sure she was glad, too! I can see how someone can prefer the EDP, too - it is just as you say, a bit gentler and brighter.
    ...And I'm sure there are MANY people who bought one bottle instead of another and were surprised to get a slightly different version

Also I found it interesting that you noted how loud and strong they are. Longevity, yes, they do last me all day, but I always thought they are of "normal" strength and spray them just as any other perfume... No one has ever complained, but now I'm thinking if I'm not accidentally choking out people with my Narcisos...

And you're the second person here calling them sweet scents. To me they're absolutely UNsweet, just soft... I guess my millennial nose is already butchered by all the sugary stuff I was wearing since my young teens and I don't count mild sweetness as sweetness anymore?!.

Seeing the pictures with the Narciso Rodriguez fragrance with glitter, did realize that even the male fragrance Narciso Rodriguez Intense for Him EDP happen to own does contain glitter
    Currently wearing: 1881 Amber by Cerruti

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Seeing the pictures with the Narciso Rodriguez fragrance with glitter, did realize that even the male fragrance Narciso Rodriguez Intense for Him EDP happen to own does contain glitter
    I think this is the first field report on their men's fragrances. Do you have others as well? Is this one of your nightclubbing fragrances?

Cheers to Gin and Banshee (perfect names) Gorgeous photos!
    When out shopping I always do a drive by of NR, I love it. yet somehow it seems like someone else. I was gifted Essence some years ago but I almost never wear it. I don't do much for it I'm afraid. I'd love to try the Musc for Her Oil Parfum from 2013 or For Her Oil Musc Parfum from 2018. Lovely thread!
    a~~x

Just started following this thread, having missed the No. 19 discussion.

I'm not very familiar with NR, and only have a decant Musc for Him. It's a serious, streamlined, somewhat soapy and rather subdued modern musk with green florals and tart fruits. Compared to the iconic original feminine and masculines (which I need to revisit ASAP), it gets overlooked, but I like it. It reminds me somewhat of the Bulgari Pour Homme line (particularly the original) in demeanor. I appreciate a clean modern musk with gravitas.

I know the original feminine is extremely popular, and I'm sure I've smelled it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it smells like right now.

Well that's very interesting. Now I really need to go back and smell them all, as that musk note in Musc for Him is a hit. Wondering if Fleur Musc for Her is similar to Musc for Him.

But then I remind myself that many of my favorite vintage scents came from fashion houses as well, and the fragrances are actually designed by genuine perfumers.
    Most (all?) NR scents were done by Francis Kurkdijan, who is the one of the most respected and iconic modern perfumers. He has a decidedly polished, integrated kind of style, and is a master of using synthetics to great effect.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    :0 Holy cow

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Just started following this thread, having missed the No. 19 discussion.

I'm not very familiar with NR, and only have a decant Musc for Him. It's a serious, streamlined, somewhat soapy and rather subdued modern musk with green florals and tart fruits. Compared to the iconic original feminine and masculines (which I need to revisit ASAP), it gets overlooked, but I like it. It reminds me somewhat of the Bulgari Pour Homme line (particularly the original) in demeanor. I appreciate a clean modern musk with gravitas.

I know the original feminine is extremely popular, and I'm sure I've smelled it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it smells like right now.

Well that's very interesting. Now I really need to go back and smell them all, as that musk note in Musc for Him is a hit. Wondering if Fleur Musc for Her is similar to Musc for Him.

Most (all?) NR scents were done by Francis Kurkdijan, who is the one of the most respected and iconic modern perfumers. He has a decidedly polished, integrated kind of style, and is a master of using synthetics to great effect.
    I wouldn’t mind if you weighed in on the 19 discussion, but I’m not the boss.

I am a Kurkdjian fan. Another indicator that I must sample the NR fragrances.

Basenotes Plus

And #3 comes up to bat!

As I browsed through my wardrobe trying to decide which scent I'd like to give its three days in the spotlight, it occurred to me: how about one scent that exists under two different names?

A pair of twins, so to speak.

Estée Lauder was famous for releasing fragrances in boy/girl pairings -- Aramis 900/Aromatics Elixir, Devin/Aliage, JHL/Cinnabar, Aramis/Azurée -- most of which were composed by Bernard Chant. They were usually very closely related to each other, but none more so than that last pair, which will be our subjects here for a 3-night-stand.

Aramis and Azurée are both stark, dry leather chypres with bergamot openings, varying a little in the middle phase, where Aramis leans a bit herbal and Azurée more floral. But I'm hard pressed to tell them apart in their later phases, which are all leather, moss and patchouli. In their vintage versions, both are monsters of projection and endurance, but their modern counterparts are far less boisterous.

Both seem quite dated from a modern point of view, and of course Aramis has enjoyed a far more illustrious career (1965 to present), being one of the most influential American male scents since Old Spice. Azurée never achieved similar popularity, though it's allegedly still in production (since 1969). Good luck finding it at a Lauder counter, though; at best you'll have to ask a sales associate if she has some tucked away in a drawer somewhere.

At this point I wanted to refer you to the excellent perfume blog (Scenthurdle.com) of Basenoter "jtd", where he has written some insightful pieces on the Lauder "twinnings", but I regret to say he has put that blog on hiatus. You can still find a few of those reviews here on BN under the various Lauder scent names, though.

In its vintage version, Azurée was available in only one concentration, called "Pure Fragrance Spray". It came in two different bottles, which I call the Lugnut Collar and the Smooth Collar. The lugnut version is the older. The modern version comes in only Eau de Parfum, as far as I know.

I'm very fond of Azurée and its big, bold leather with green decorations.

Azuree_LugnutCollar.jpgAzuree_SmoothCollar.jpg
    Azuree_modern_EDP.jpg

I know very little about any formula changes or packaging variations that Aramis has undergone over the years. The only two vintage bottles I've owned have looked like this, a splash and a later spray, both colognes.

Aramis_vintage.jpgAramis_vintage.spray.jpg

And of course, no discussion of Aramis on Basenotes would be complete without mentioning that it's just about the only fragrance ever trash-talked by the famously diplomatic Hednic.

Basenotes Plus

In its vintage version, Azurée was available in only one concentration, called "Pure Fragrance Spray".
    Or…
    8E7B4ABC-7A7C-412A-9AE4-4D31F5E3279B.jpg

While familiar with 1965 (though not only and not necessarily vintage) Aramis and other Aramis fragrances, never tested Azuree so far.

But being a fan of most Aramis offerings and also Estee Lauder ones, especially if vintage Spellbound and White Linen, there is quite a sizable chance -with a disclaimer regarding by personal standards alone, with no further guarantee for any tried and tested recommendations- that Azuree does provide a nice crossover between these and therefore be motivating, inviting and worth for some further exploring and sampling.
    Currently wearing: 1881 Amber by Cerruti

I wouldn’t mind if you weighed in on the 19 discussion, but I’m not the boss.
    I think it is one of the best green fragrances ever...the perfect balance of icy and soft, aloof and inviting. And it wears marvelously...at no point does anything seem out of place or off kilter.

In its vintage version, Azurée was available in only one concentration, called "Pure Fragrance Spray". It came in two different bottles, which I call the Lugnut Collar and the Smooth Collar. The lugnut version is the older. The modern version comes in only Eau de Parfum, as far as I know.
    I need that lugnut bottle in my life.

And of course, no discussion of Aramis on Basenotes would be complete without mentioning that it's just about the only fragrance ever trash-talked by the famously diplomatic Hednic.
    Superman and Kryptonite.

Azuree is a great leather, focused on that big dry leather/patch (same as Aramis as mentioned above) but softened and smoothed out just enough with an extra dash of florals and a powdery streak (the listed orris, I guess) a bit of amberiness in the background.

Like Aramis it goes on with an aldehyde starter pistol shot, but this smooths out quickly in Azuree compared to Aramis, which remains aggressive, herbal, citric and sharp for a good long time after application.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 24th April 2020 at 07:41 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Most (all?) NR scents were done by Francis Kurkdijan,
    Not quite. In fact, Francis Kurkdjian and Christine Nagel are both given credit for the original For Her. Kurkdjian did a flanker or two and Alberto Morillas did the Essence line (of which I have no experience) . But Aurelian Guichard and Sonia Constant did almost all of the other scents for NR.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Or…
    Could you please pass the salt and pepper for my hat?

Live and learn!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast