Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default New game: One perfume every three days.

Game Concept:

We should comment on a specific perfume for 3 days. That will give enough time for everybody who is interested to participate.
    On the 4th day we will automatically change to the next perfume which will be chosen by a person we name.
    The one who names the perfume we discuss about should also start with the first comments and photos on this particular perfume (why he/she likes it, his/her impressions on reformulations, photos of his bottles if he/she owns the perfume).
    At the same time he/she should name the person who will follow (the one to choose the next perfume for the debate). Just make sure that your "next choice" will be informed in time and is willing to play along.

I will start with (what else) Montana Parfum d' Homme and name BAVARD as the person who will choose the next perfume to be discussed.

Montana Parfum d' Homme
    I have written a review on this one a few years ago. It is the whole story and the reason i like this perfume so much.
    Today it is still the one i wear most frequently.

Here is my Review on it:

I guess that at some point we all came across a scent that made us a massive impression and initiated our interest in perfumery.
    It doesn't necessarily had to be the first one we have worn or smelled.
    Since my childhood i have been secretly sniffing my father's perfumes and at some point started wearing them.
    Although i liked all of them it was another perfume that blowed me away and made me realise that i am really interested in perfumery.
    This perfume was Montana Parfum d' Homme.

My story with Montana Parfum d' Homme began in the summer of 1989.
    I was 14 y.o and my uncle came at my grandparent's house from abroad for his usual annual visit.
    I was also spending a part of the summer vacations with my grandparents and i was looking forward to meet my uncle who was like a "prototype" for a teenager:
    Always dressed in magnificent clothes and shoes, wearing perfumes which you wouldn't get out of your mind, reading Zorbas the greek and starting pseudo-philosophical discussions, playing tavli in the garden, describing the beautiful places he has visited while drinking coffee from tiny espresso cups and talking about, what else, women!
    This special evening he had an appointment with his childhood friends.
    In Greece that means you come back home in the morning (at best).
    He went in the bathroom to prepare himself for the “great exit” and came out about an hour later.
    I still remember how excited i felt when he came out of the bathroom walking through a cloud of magnificent smelling vapors which were coming over in waves. (He had used a Montana shower gel and then bathed in EdT).
    It was the most beautiful, the most masculine perfume i have ever smelt in my life, and probably still remains that way even if in the meantime I have come to appreciate a few more perfumes the way I appreciate Montana.
    Years past by and i have forgotten about this perfume (name etc.).
    It was 1995 or 1996 and I was a young student. On the way to the university i walked outside a new perfumery shop and the picture of this “Ziggurat looking” perfume cut my breath. There was it again after so many years before my eyes.
    I went straight inside the shop wanting to take the bottle in my hands and smell the “mythical” perfume once more but received nothing less than a major disappointment as the lady who was working there informed me that the perfume was no more in production.
    The years went by and at some point thanks to the Internet i was able to found this perfume again. I was very excited when the postman arrived.
    I have opened the box very carefully, almost ceremonially. I have taken the bottle in my hands, looked at this piece of art (many think it is an ugly bottle, I think it is gorgeous) for a few long seconds and then slightly pushed the sprayer.
    There it was again, the missing beauty!
    I have made sure that I will never remain without enough of it any more.

MM

10/10

I initially bought 25 bottles of it because i didn't want to remain without again.
    Some bottle have been given as gifts to family and friends, some of them have been stollen 2 years ago among with a big part of my collection so that today i still own 13 bottle of it, 2 of its's flanker "Montana Parfum d' Homme Light" and also bottles of "Montana Noir Sacre", "Montana Homme" and "Montana Black".
    The Light Edition is really a lighter Montana Parfum d' Homme.
    Montana Black is Montana Parfum d' Homme starting with the middle notes of the original and lasting only the half of the time.
    "Noir Sacre" is to my nose a "cousin" of Bel Ami
    "Montana Homme" a nice, linear old school citrus.

As to formulations:
    I know of 3. The first two are indistinguishable to my nose. I haven't smelled the third one but from your comments it seems like it is not as good as the former ones.

Here are my photos of Montana Parfum d' Homme (and it's flankers i have already took photos of)

LETS START!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: New game: One perfume every three days.

There are a group of fragrances that overlap for me, including Montana.

I've tried two versions of Montana - the original Parfum d'Homme, and a later version. The older Parfum d'Homme is nice, but some note takes it slightly out of my comfort zone.

The other fragrances I've tried that have this note / accord include Aramis Havana, Salvador Dali, and Gengis Khan. I've also had shower gel in a hotel in France that had this accord.

I love getting to know the favorite fragrances of other Basenoters such as Montana Parfum d'Homme for Monsieur Montana, Gengis Khan edt for Hednic, Havana for kbe, Jacomo de Jacomo for Epapsiou, Or Black for IsoESuperman and near-favorites such as Habit Rouge for Darvant and Yatagan for LiveJazz. So I want to have my mind in the right place to enjoy them as much as the people who call them favorites, but it doesn't always work, and with Montana Parfum d'Homme, it didn't click enough with me to make me want a bottle. I had some Gengis Khan edt, but moved it on. I do have a bottle of Havana, and I'm keeping that as my connection to this style of fragrance.

I found it interesting that Darvant would describe Montana Parfum d'Homme as Monsieur Montana's mossy friend. I hadn't thought of it as such an oak-moss driven fragrance. I think part of my problem might be that what I think of as oak moss might actually be a combination of oak moss and vetiver (Chanel Pour Monsieur, Mitsouko, Sagamore).

Updating to add posters who have presented:

Monsiuer Montana (Montana Parfum d'Homme)
    Bavard (Chanel No. 19)
    ClockworkAlice (Narciso Rodriguez)
    Cook.bot (Estée Lauder Azurée)
    DrTricia (Patou 1000)
    PStoller (Cacharel pour Homme)
    Zealot Crusader (Anthracite pour L'Homme by Jacomo)
    Reventon (Kouros)
    24 Faubourg (Moth by Zoologist)
    SubUmbra (Patchouli Intense by Parfums de Nicolaï)
    Grayspoole (Bandit by Robert Piguet)
    Yellowtone (Guerlain Terracotta)
    LiveJazz (Cartier Declaration)
    incense+heliotrope (Penhaligon's Elixir and Etro Heliotrope)
    MikePerez23 (Cumming)
    Ken_Russell (Lubin Akkad)
    PerfAddict (Guerlain Derby)
    Monsieur Montana (Gucci Pour Homme I)
    Ciprian (Cartier Pasha)
    Nasenmann (Amouage Bracken Man)
    Caffee (Ormonde Jayne Isfarkand)
    Bavard (Dior Jules)
    Cologne Connoisseur (Nina Ricci Phileas)
    Last edited by Bavard; 28th June 2020 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    There are a group of fragrances that overlap for me, including Montana.

I've tried two versions of Montana - the original Parfum d'Homme, and a later version. The older Parfum d'Homme is nice, but some note takes it slightly out of my comfort zone.

The other fragrances I've tried that have this note / accord include Aramis Havana, Salvador Dali, and Gengis Khan. I've also had shower gel in a hotel in France that had this accord.

I love getting to know the favorite fragrances of other Basenoters such as Montana Parfum d'Homme for Monsieur Montana, Gengis Khan edt for Hednic, Havana for kbe, Jacomo de Jacomo for Epapsiou, Or Black for IsoESuperman and near-favorites such as Habit Rouge for Darvant and Yatagan for LiveJazz. So I want to have my mind in the right place to enjoy them as much as the people who call them favorites, but it doesn't always work, and with Montana Parfum d'Homme, it didn't click enough with me to make me want a bottle. I had some Gengis Khan edt, but moved it on. I do have a bottle of Havana, and I'm keeping that as my connection to this style of fragrance.

I found it interesting that Darvant would describe Montana Parfum d'Homme as Monsieur Montana's mossy friend. I hadn't thought of it as such an oak-moss driven fragrance. I think part of my problem might be that what I think of as oak moss might actually be a combination of oak moss and vetiver (Chanel Pour Monsieur, Mitsouko, Sagamore).
    I will agree with you about Montana being a difficult perfume to like.
    I find it very similar to Havana which on the other hand was of your liking (up to a point).
    Which shower gel was that in the french hotel? Do you recall the name?

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    I will agree with you about Montana being a difficult perfume to like.
    I find it very similar to Havana which on the other hand was of your liking (up to a point).
    Which shower gel was that in the french hotel? Do you recall the name?
    I do not remember the name of the shower gel. For a while there, it seemed like that accord was all around me.

I do not remember the name of the shower gel. For a while there, it seemed like that accord was all around me.
    You now revive the image of my uncle getting out of the bathroom

I haven't smelled Montana (yet), but I read your thoughts on it with pleasure.
    A great thread idea, I'll be following it

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Thank you CA. I am sure you will be able to share your opinion with the rest of us on more other perfumes yet to come.

Somewhat similar situation here, being however in the situation to have personally tested this sometime ago during the 90s, but cannot recollect Montana Parfum d'Homme, at least no further details rather than smelling nice (and personal tastes and standards regarding what is perceived as nice now did not change much since then, at least not regarding scents from that particular age and release year).

However, can vaguely still pin down a certain at least remote similarity of this one (not 100%, 1 on 1 identical, but rather a similar spirit/idea) with a certain style, mood, evolution-in spite of all, partly substantial differences-with a certain idea, vision, theme behind fragrances like Leonard Homme, certain vintage Van Cleef&Arpels, Fendi Uomo, Francesco Smalto PH, Davidoff Relax, Gucci Nobile, Boss No.1, Guerlain Derby, a few vintage Bogarts from the mid 70s to the 90s as well.

Which in turn is a very good, albeit very diffuse memory and association regarding this fragrance, knowing how good several scents from a similar age turned out.

Following - and will participate whenever a perfume I own comes up
    Currently wearing: Rhubarb My Love by The Zoo

I'll follow along and add any opinions that I may have.

It seems like MPdH doesn’t have a lot of enthusiasts between us.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    It seems like MPdH doesn’t have a lot of enthusiasts between us.
    I was thinking something similar. It's one I've had the chance to sample from a couple different sources. I'm not finding any remaining samples to give it a wearing.

You've done your public service notifying people of this beauty.

I knew it wouldn’t start endless discussions like other much more popular perfumes but that was not necessarily the point.
    You are on tomorrow

Just a thought:
    Are you able to edit thread name as many times as you want? It would be nice to edit the name every 3 days to include the name of the perfume, for example: New game: One perfume every three days. Now talking: Montana! or something like that? Then maybe people familiar with the scent would see the thread sooner?

Just a thought:
    Are you able to edit thread name as many times as you want? It would be nice to edit the name every 3 days to include the name of the perfume, for example: New game: One perfume every three days. Now talking: Montana! or something like that? Then maybe people familiar with the scent would see the thread sooner?
    I don’t know if it is possible but I wouldn’t do it anyway. It takes 2 seconds to open the thread and have a look at the perfume which is discussed.

I have Chanel No. 19 in line for discussion on this thread.

Cytherian famously tries to sell perfume sales associates on vintage Kouros, but he also carries around vintage No. 19 parfum, as a reminder, I think, of how hard it is to maintain the level of the 1970s and 80s.

64EF2996-DC45-4042-BE78-B15A7D8BAE6C.jpg

We have a couple vintage minis of the parfum, a 14-ml, and a 45-ml edc spray. I have samples of the vintage edt.

This is a fragrance that always delivers in the base. I think No. 19 is from 1971, and it was such a spectacular return to form for Chanel after the classics from the 1920s and Chanel Pour Monsieur from the 1950s.

I sometimes think of No. 19 as a powdery, greenish rose fragrance with Chanel aldyhydes in the top and a base that turns leathery.

I think it’s different enough from Chanel’s 1920s style to appeal to different tastes. I think it’s an uplifting, confidence booster.

I would be thrilled to have Clockwork Alice introduce the next fragrance.

For the 14-ml parfums (which were later changed to 15-ml sizes, I believe), there's an outer box and an inner box, shown in the picture.

The 14-ml parfum came sealed. We had to use the trick of putting it in the freezer overnight to get it to open.

I think the current versions of No. 19 can still be good. For an edt, current version, I would go with Cristalle ahead of No. 19, but I personally like the current edp of No. 19. (I think I haven't tried the current parfum - I rarely see testers for parfums).
    Last edited by Bavard; 18th April 2020 at 07:27 PM.

I'm a big fan of vintage green fragrances and have no qualms about using scents that were marketed to women. I believe the gender-assigned fragrances were a marketing ploy. In the '70's, some of these female fragrances seemed so in comparison to a lot of the uber-masculines. But compared to some of the current gelded male fragrances, the vintage green females (and other types of vintage female fragrances) can be easily worn by men. Originally, fragrances were genderless anyway. To get back on the subject: I wear 19 very comfortably. I also like Jacomo Silences, which is similar to 19. Balmain's Vent Vert is another green I like. Cristalle is another favorite.
    Last edited by sniffman; 18th April 2020 at 03:01 PM.

Basenotes Plus

This is a fragrance that always delivers in the base. I think No. 19 is from 1971, and it was such a spectacular return to form for Chanel after the classics from the 1920s and Chanel Pour Monsieur from the 1950s.

I sometimes think of No. 19 as a powdery, greenish rose fragrance with Chanel aldehydes in the top and a base that turns leathery.
    I can't improve much on Bavard's summary, except to say that I find No. 19 to be a greenish rose in its more recent editions, but the older ones read on me more as a greenish iris, crisp and rather cruel, without a drop of sweetness anywhere. And the most recent modern versions I've smelled have eschewed the wonderful leather base and leaned toward vetiver -- a travesty, in my book.

Bavard's photo inspired me to wonder exactly how much No. 19 I have at the moment, so I gathered them up. It's my most backed-up scent, and a permanent resident of my Top 3 Desert Island Perfumes. I simply adore every facet of it.

Chanel_No19_MyGroup2.15april2020.jpg

Included are (left to right, sort of):
    100ml EDT splash, 1970s
    100ml EDT spray, 1980s
    14ml parfum, 1990s
    100ml EDT splash, 1990s
    7.5ml parfum purse spray, age unknown (silver case)
    7.5ml parfum purse spray, age unknown (I think the black case was for No. 5 and someone inserted a No. 19 refill)
    10ml mini EDT, age unknown but pre-1990 by color

I've never liked any of the EDP versions, and I even prefer the EDT to the parfum.
    Last edited by Cook.bot; 18th April 2020 at 07:02 PM.

I’m not old: I’m vintage.

I’ve put up a flare to Dr. T. No. 19 is one of her signatures.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    I haven´t tried N19 yet.
    You should try it, BB. I absolutely love the way it smells on a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I even prefer the EDT to the parfum.
    I don't know that I have a preference among the vintage edc, vintage edt, and vintage parfum. I'll do some testing.

"Most backed-up" is an impressive distinction. I believe that's Chanel Pour Monsieur for me (if not, Antaeus).

Care to kiss and tell about that 90s green-juice edt?

Basenotes Plus

I don't know that I have a preference between vintage edt and vintage parfum. I'll do some testing.
    To me the parfum is more suave, and it's the meanness of the EDT that appeals to me. The parfum is kind of velvety.

"Most backed-up" is an impressive distinction. I believe that's Chanel Pour Monsieur for me (if not, Antaeus).
    My most backed up in total MLs is still Eau d'Hermes, but No. 19 wins the bottle count. I really need to get a FB of Chanel PM, because I do love it too.

Care to kiss and tell about that 80s green-juice edt?
    You know, usually bright green is a no-no for No. 19 variations, but my splash bottle must have been at the very beginning of the green run or something, because it's got pretty much all the virtues of the gold juice, including leathery base, except I think I detect a bit more rose in it than the '70s stuff. Mind you, it's not as good as the '70s splash bottle, but it's still pretty damned good.

You just made me realize I typo'd that bottle in the list, and meant to list it as '90s. I'll fix that.

I haven't tried it either yet. Nice collections and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Will be sure to sample this one.

Basenotes Plus

Bavard, your 45ml EDT in the silver canister looks like it might be one of those with a thin metal skin over the plastic case. Can you tell by looking at the inside of the cap whether that could be true?

Roro has a method of dating those silver-skins. He's posted at length about it, but I kind of dread trying to search for the thread. I'll give it a shot, though.

Edit: I just raised my blood pressure about 10 points trying to use the BN advanced search function (WHY won't it parse Boolean terms??), and all I came up with was this:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/365...+19+metal+skin

...which isn't really very helpful, and this, which is about metal skins on the purse flacons:
    http://www.basenotes.net/entries/127...he-purse-(dab)

Hopefully Roro will stumble in here.
    Last edited by Cook.bot; 18th April 2020 at 08:22 PM.

If this helps: I prefer skank and dirt over everything else.
    Doesn't surprise me.

Bavard, your 45ml EDT in the silver canister looks like it might be one of those with a thin metal skin over the plastic case. Can you tell by looking at the inside of the cap whether that could be true?

Roro has a method of dating those silver-skins. He's posted at length about it, but I kind of dread trying to search for the thread. I'll give it a shot, though.
    I had to correct upthread as well because it's an edc. I've just taken a spritz.

C75C64A1-2980-4378-B1CF-AEEC14EC2ED0.jpg

When I think about iris, I do think I can find it.

This is a major blockbuster of a perfume. The market now is all upside down - this is sold in Chanel's down-market line!? Nothing in the current Les Exclusifs is as good as this vintage edc, that I can think of. The classics, Cuir de Russie and Bois des Iles, are maybe the closest.

Basenotes Plus

But I was thinking in Cabochard as my first marketed to women fragrance.
    Now, I dont know...
    I would have to vote for trying Cabochard first.

Is the current in edt and edp form? In that case, which is the one to go with?
    If this helps: I prefer skank and dirt over everything else.
    Definitely EDT. The EDP is much more floral. And honestly, I don't think anyone would say that No. 19 is skanky or dirty. For that you want Cabochard.

Basenotes Plus

I had to correct upthread as well because it's an edc. I've just taken a spritz.
    Wow, it looks like it's an all-metal aluminum case. Can you tell by the feel that it's metal and not plastic?

If so, this makes it older than I thought. We really need Roro to weigh in here. It's the middle of the night in Japan, so I'll PM him a link here for when he wakes up.

The market now is all upside down - this is sold in Chanel's down-market line!? Nothing in the current Les Exclusifs is as good as this vintage edc, that I can think of.
    So true! But the No. 19 on the shelves now is not nearly as good as what we're smelling here. But for something you can still find in department stores, not too shabby.

I don't own any EDC of it and now I need to. (Okay, "need' is the wrong word, but, you know....)

Wow, it looks like it's an all-metal aluminum case. Can you tell by the feel that it's metal and not plastic?
    It does feel like metal. I had forgotten this was an edc, and I'm who ordered it, around the Chanuary event, I believe.

I tend to think the different concentrations are so much the same - I like to sample them and soak in differences - but they are so much the same. I had been thinking this was an edt.

Basenotes Plus

How exciting to see that my favorite Chanel gets much more love than I thought. I received my first bottle of 19 (edt or edc in the metal spray bottle as in Bavard’s photo) as a gift many years ago. At the time, I was in my total YSL Opium devotion days, and I couldn’t smell anything but flowers in the Chanel, and I hated fragrances that smelled to me like flowers. I loved the container, so I put it away in a drawer. Years later, my Opium was no longer giving me the lift it had for almost 2 decades. I was absolutely distraught, thinking my sense of smell had changed (I now believe it may have been the Opium that changed - either a formulation change or a counterfeit bottle), and set about searching for my new signature scent. I found a few new scents that I enjoyed wearing (Cartier So Pretty, Rouge Hermes and Chanel No.5), but I missed being compelled to sniff my wrists throughout the day, the way I had with Opium.
    One day, that old bottle of Chanel No.19 surfaced during a move. I decided to wear it for a day, and was fully prepared to have the scrunched face I had come to know in the recent years spent auditioning scents. I could not believe this was the same fragrance I had rejected years earlier. It was softly green, wonderfully powdery, and very present without obtrusive. For me, it seemed very different from the kinds of scents I thought I liked. I never liked “fresh” or “green”, but those characteristics are balanced in 19 to offer respite from warmer notes I love, rather than being the feature. I used up that bottle, and got the parfum, and the EDP. I have come to crave the “chalkiness” that I do not find in any other fragrance I have tried. If anyone knows what causes that effect, please share. Chanel No.19 is my “go-to” fragrance. I have been asked many times what I’m wearing, followed by, “oh, wow, that’s beautiful.”
    My garden variety version is the current EDP, and I have a mix of vintage and new concentrations that I have yet to scientifically analyze.
    8362D328-F274-47B2-8C3D-DE373FEC6A2C.jpeg
    7CA9B021-F820-4FCD-9D0C-74A8310288C9.jpeg6DDE2173-6A21-45FC-9B10-9A911E018BAD.jpeg
    475C59D1-4E64-48CC-86EF-4C078CECA88C.jpegA406F7E1-B693-47DB-856C-14C5B2E36776.jpeg
    73BE499F-FF8D-45FC-B475-D90AAA3EC960.jpg
    0CD71B25-6A53-46D8-A672-7E284FDDC9ED.jpeg

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast