Code of Conduct

Default Violet Leaf concrete does it smell off? Can I dilute it still?

ive had this concrete forever. dilute it? smells still like violet leaf but i think the smell has changed when i smell it from the bottle. should i dilute the entire thing already, say 50% ? will that further preserve it? should i just chuck it and buy a new one? i think its probably like 7 years old now. that sounds incredibly old. it must be bad by now but it still smells fine, though i don't remember the smell when it was new.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Violet Leaf concrete does it smell off? Can I dilute it still?

Not really speaking from perfect knowledge about Violet Leaf Concrete, but if it is really a concrete and not an absolute, it will be what absolutes get purified from, and might sort of be 10% absolute, as a guess. The rest is likely going to be fats. SO< it might smell "off" - different - from an absolute, due to both the fats and the dilution.
    And it might be OK. Maybe you know this, but absolutes are always the lower end of a natural's extractions, and the lower end molecules don't usually go bad very quickly. It's usually the top end molecules that deteriorate.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Plus

I've been using violet leaf absolute from Eden Botanicals. Its a true solvent-extracted absolute (alcohol, and not CO2 extracted.) Its sharply green and mildly woody. So don't expect it to smell like a violet flower.

I think of the synthetics I have, Violiff is close to it. Even though its odor is listed with "floral" first, I think "green" should be first. And Violettyne is more floral to me and true to violet even though it is listed as "green violet leaf". I would use Violiff over Violettyne to replace violet leaf absolute.

And without knowing how it was stored, what conditions, what temperature, etc, I think generally 7 years is a long time for a natural. Some break down over time with weird effects, like grapefruit and the sulfur in it. And alcohol won't stop this molecular breakdown. You can only delay it slightly with cooler storage, no light, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nicotiro View Post
    ive had this concrete forever. dilute it? smells still like violet leaf but i think the smell has changed when i smell it from the bottle. should i dilute the entire thing already, say 50% ? will that further preserve it? should i just chuck it and buy a new one? i think its probably like 7 years old now. that sounds incredibly old. it must be bad by now but it still smells fine, though i don't remember the smell when it was new.
    I don't know, but I would guess some of the violet leaf aldehyde in the natural may have degraded. (violet leaf aldehyde has a similar chemistry to citral, can easily degrade)

You could possibly add a very tiny amount of something like Koavone to try to revive it a little bit.
    Devil's Son In Law's suggestion of Violiff also sounds like a good idea, maybe in conjunction with that.

But I'm not really sure. This is all from a speculative chemistry background and not from actual experience, so disregard the suggestion as you may.

Diluting it by 50% is probably going to do nothing to further preserve it.