Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Shave of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky_Pete View Post
    Looks like a great shave Dan, I've heard nothing but great things about Wickam soaps. I just have too many soaps at the moment and so I've halted any new purchases.
    Probably a good plan! Some of my creams and soaps are so neglected. I’ve just thought about my jar of Crabtree & Evelyn Moroccan Myrrh shaving cream while catching up on updates to the thread - probably haven’t used it in at least a year. It’s not the only one either!
    As for Wickham soaps yes they deserve the positive reputation. Just shows that tallow isn’t necessarily the ingredient that makes or.breaks a quality soap. However, I will say the soaps with tallow in my collection are very good.

FA603CC8-B38D-4071-9AEA-3C97E409A1DA.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower
    Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
    Brush: synthetic knot Rick Montalvo
    Razor: Merlin 34c
    Blade: Astra Super Stainless 5x

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

Hot shower with Santa Maria Novella Vetiver soap

Jack Black Face Scrub
    Geo F Trumpers Coconut Shave Cream
    Shavemac Best Badger Brush
    Gillette Fatboy/Feather Blade
    Moss Scuttle
    Vitamin Mud Masque
    Dickenson's Witch Hazel
    Pinaud Vanilla Aftershave
    Vitamin Facial Moisturizer

MALLE VETIVERE EXTRORDINAIRE
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Since I seem to be shaving every three days now because of the lockdown here (no reason to shave, since not going out much) I've been using DE razors more often than cartridge.

Today I used a Weber DLC razor with Feather blade and Gideon Jones shave cream (a somewhat oily Aussie-made cream, sort of like Everyman Jack)). The Weber is my mildest DE razor, and I got no nicks, and no alum stings.

I'm puzzled as to why I waste my time with other more aggressive razors. Something to do with justifying the expenditure, I guess.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Since I seem to be shaving every three days now because of the lockdown here (no reason to shave, since not going out much) I've been using DE razors more often than cartridge.

Today I used a Weber DLC razor with Feather blade and Gideon Jones shave cream (a somewhat oily Aussie-made cream, sort of like Everyman Jack)). The Weber is my mildest DE razor, and I got no nicks, and no alum stings.

I'm puzzled as to why I waste my time with other more aggressive razors. Something to do with justifying the expenditure, I guess.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Renato, I think my favorite razor of all time is my Merkur 34c, which is extremely mild and effortless to use as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Hot shower with Santa Maria Novella Vetiver soap

Jack Black Face Scrub
    Geo F Trumpers Coconut Shave Cream
    Shavemac Best Badger Brush
    Gillette Fatboy/Feather Blade
    Moss Scuttle
    Vitamin Mud Masque
    Dickenson's Witch Hazel
    Pinaud Vanilla Aftershave
    Vitamin Facial Moisturizer

MALLE VETIVERE EXTRORDINAIRE

I'd love to see a pic of that shavemac brush of yours.

Forgot to post up Wednesday’s shave!

I’m having another today so will post that up later too.

Wednesday’s was:

IMG_20200523_193609.jpg

Pre: Warm shower, Boots Cucumber Facial Wash & Cucumber Facial Scrub (again!)
    Cream: Saponificio Bignoli Shaving Cream - Violetta di Parma
    Brush: Taylor of Old Bond St Pure Badger Brush
    Razor: Muhle R41
    Blade: Merkur (one of the 10 that came with my Futur - it works well in the R41).
    Post: Snake Bite Aftershave Splash and L’Oréal Men Expert Hydra Post Shave Gel - Ice Cool

I really rate the Saponificio Bignoli cream. I might have to invest in the Sandalo Indiano scented one. The scent of the Violetta di Parma is great, obviously floral but not too “in your face.” It was perfect for a spring day. The cream is not a ‘soft’ cream like Taylor of Old Bond St. It scoops out easily but stays semi-solid in a bowl - almost like a flake of soap! However, you get a really generous lather especially if you do a half bowl/half face lather I find.

- - - Updated - - -

Saturday’s shave

So... today’s shave was partly inspired by my contribution to the I’ve stopped using regular razors and haven’t gone back again thread. It dawned on me that I hadn’t used my first ever DE razor, the Wilkinson Sword Classic, for ages. I’d forgotten how efficient it is despite being mild.
    Truth be told after I bought my Edwin Jagger DE89, the Wilkinson Sword Classic fell out of use very quickly. However, I do enjoy getting it out from time to time and I figured it would be worth going from one extreme - the R41 - to the other.

IMG_20200523_194337.jpg

Pre: warm shower, Boots’ Cucumber facial wash & L’oreal Men Expert Pure and Matte Deep Exfoliating Wash
    Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
    Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword (Indian Saloon Pack)
    Brush: Taylor of Old Bond St pure badger
    Cream: Gentleman’s Face Care Club - Bergamot & Neroli

The Gentleman’s Face Care Club cream is very nice. Performance is on a par with the other British brands but the tub,which was sold on Amazon UK, was about £1 cheaper than the average price of a TOBS tub. I’d deliberately looked for a bergamot scented cream and this cropped up. The scent was just what I wanted- citrusy but not in the lime/lemon/grapefruit/orange way. It reminds me of some of the opening notes of Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky_Pete View Post
    Renato, I think my favorite razor of all time is my Merkur 34c, which is extremely mild and effortless to use as well.

I've got the Merkur 33 - which I think has a different handle from your one.
    An excellent razor, in which one can use any blade.

My Weber DLC, however, is so mild that I can only use Feather blades in it to get a decent shave - so it's kind of limited.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Long time lurker of this thread and occasional poster long time ago.
    I am, same as Renato, shaving probably once in 3 days as currently working from home.
    Today's shave was:
    Warm face wash ( I usually shave after shower, but not today).
    Razor: Gillette Mach3
    Brush: Simpson Commodore 3 pure badger
    Cream: TOBS Eton College
    Post shave: Trumper's Coral Skin Tonic
    After shave: Speick Men aftershave lotion
    After shave balm: Geo F. Trumper's Coral Skin Food.
    No bumps, nicks, nothing. Two passes and BBSS as the result.
    However, if I keep the same setup but only change a cartridge razor to my EJ DE89 loaded with any de blade from my arsenal, it's a blood bath and nicks galore. Out come an alum block and a styptic pencil.
    No matter what I try, the only really comfortable shave with no nicks comes with Gillette Mach3 or a Gillette Sensor. Sooo frustrating!
    I went the whole circle through with Fat Boys, Slims, Black Beauty, Tech's of all sorts, Red Tip, and ended up with the Mach3 as my favourite. I know...

Well at least a) you did persevere by trying different razors and b) you’ve kept up with the better products that go hand in hand with DE/SE or straight razor shaving. Trumper’s coral skin food has been something I’ve been meaning to try. I have the Sandalwood one, which I like and was surprised to find didn’t really smell much like their Sandalwood cream (unless I had an older batch cream!).

After reading another positive review of the King C Gillette DE razor - kensurfs and geofatboy did good video reviews - I decided to check their UK site again to find it was now in stock so have decided to see what it’s like. I bought the new Wilkinson Sword Classic for pretty much the same reasons 18-20 months ago and paid about the same price for it.

8A1E23FC-2F65-45F6-B0EB-874298B8F366.jpg

Soap: Proraso Blue Shaving Cream
    Brush: Custom handle by Rick Montalvo with a TGN Silvertip
    Razor: Karve Brass with Open Comb B plate
    Blade: Wilkinson Sword India (3x)
    Post: Alum, Proraso Blue Aftershave Balm and Grooming Dept Rejuvenating Serum

Fantastic shave 9.3/10

Great set up there with the Karve Brass.

After watching 2 positive review videos of the new King C Gillette DE razor and reading about another, I decided I would part with £20 and check it out. They were showing as in stock on Gillette’s U.K. site when I looked again,

It turned up today. Like others have said it’s got a good weight to it! All in the handle. Feels substantial compared to most of my other DEs including my trusted Edwin Jagger DE89. Considering I paid about the same for the new Wilkinson Sword Classic I think the King C has already beaten it in terms of how it feels to hold. Will be testing it out tomorrow.
    81627BAF-603A-4184-A062-274DE87E7D92.jpg
    A20DC882-B7DD-46B5-95DB-8DBD1ABE6FE1.jpg
    CB6E17B7-073A-4233-9465-E2808092A2C8.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dan86 View Post
    Great set up there with the Karve Brass.

After watching 2 positive review videos of the new King C Gillette DE razor and reading about another, I decided I would part with £20 and check it out. They were showing as in stock on Gillette’s U.K. site when I looked again,

It turned up today. Like others have said it’s got a good weight to it! All in the handle. Feels substantial compared to most of my other DEs including my trusted Edwin Jagger DE89. Considering I paid about the same for the new Wilkinson Sword Classic I think the King C has already beaten it in terms of how it feels to hold. Will be testing it out tomorrow.
    81627BAF-603A-4184-A062-274DE87E7D92.jpg
    A20DC882-B7DD-46B5-95DB-8DBD1ABE6FE1.jpg
    CB6E17B7-073A-4233-9465-E2808092A2C8.jpg
    Thanks Dan! I'm curious as to how the Gillette does in wet hands. The knurling pattern looks very minimal, please do report back.

Sound Scents

Pre: Grooming Dept Preshave
    Soap: Stirling Varen
    Brush: Saponificio Varesino 2.0 with Manchurian Badger Knot
    Razor: Oneblade Genesis V2 (Feather FHS blade)
    Aftershave: Stirling Varen

Pretty much the brush, razor, pre and blade choice is the same every day. The others I change up.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Currently wearing: Tom Yum by Parfum Prissana

King C Gillette Shave #1

EB51F52E-2CEA-4395-9A35-B8C2A31CD330.jpg

Prep: Shower and the usual Boots Cucumber facial wash & face scrub.
    Razor: King C Gillette DE razor
    Blade: King C Gillette
    Brush: Semogue 830
    Cream: Cyril Salter - French Vetiver
    Post: Men’s Master Grooming Tea Tree and Menthol aftershave balm

I’m taking my hat off to Gillette, I think this is one of the best DE razors I’ve bought for £20. I’d rate it as just under medium in terms of aggression but I think if you paired this up with a Feather blade you’d have a very satisfying shave. I had very good audio feedback during the shave.

I deliberately made sure my fingers and palm were wetter than usual during this shave to test this handle out - curiosity got the better of me Stinky_Pete ! I’m right handed by the way but I did do an across the growth pass with my left hand on my left side of my face and neck.I’m pleased to say I didn’t find Mr King C to be a slippery customer at all. During the shave I noticed my ring and pinky fingers were on the non-knurled portion of the handle. The length of the handle was fine for me. The King C blade was also fine. I’ve always gotten on with Gillette DE blades though.

Cyril Salter’s French Vetiver cream is one I dig out every so often. If you like your Vetiver slightly earthy this is definitely a cream worth trying.
    I’m guessing - could be wrong of course - that they called it ‘French’ Vetiver because it’s their take on a scent similar to either Carven or Guerlain?

Sound Scents

Soap: Joserra Viriato
    Aftershave: Baume.Be Lotion
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Currently wearing: Tom Yum by Parfum Prissana

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Soap: Stirling Varen
    Aftershave: Stirling Varen

Pretty much the brush, razor, pre and blade choice is the same every day. The others I change up.
    Sounds great, and glad to have you join this thread Drseid!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dan86 View Post
    King C Gillette Shave #1

EB51F52E-2CEA-4395-9A35-B8C2A31CD330.jpg

Prep: Shower and the usual Boots Cucumber facial wash & face scrub.
    Razor: King C Gillette DE razor
    Blade: King C Gillette
    Brush: Semogue 830
    Cream: Cyril Salter - French Vetiver
    Post: Men’s Master Grooming Tea Tree and Menthol aftershave balm

I’m taking my hat off to Gillette, I think this is one of the best DE razors I’ve bought for £20. I’d rate it as just under medium in terms of aggression but I think if you paired this up with a Feather blade you’d have a very satisfying shave. I had very good audio feedback during the shave.

I deliberately made sure my fingers and palm were wetter than usual during this shave to test this handle out - curiosity got the better of me Stinky_Pete ! I’m right handed by the way but I did do an across the growth pass with my left hand on my left side of my face and neck.I’m pleased to say I didn’t find Mr King C to be a slippery customer at all. During the shave I noticed my ring and pinky fingers were on the non-knurled portion of the handle. The length of the handle was fine for me. The King C blade was also fine. I’ve always gotten on with Gillette DE blades though.

Cyril Salter’s French Vetiver cream is one I dig out every so often. If you like your Vetiver slightly earthy this is definitely a cream worth trying.
    I’m guessing - could be wrong of course - that they called it ‘French’ Vetiver because it’s their take on a scent similar to either Carven or Guerlain?
    Glad to hear your new Gillette performed well!!!

- - - Updated - - -

E1FE73C2-D318-4B8C-8D14-D4C26106DA3D.jpg

Soap: Palmolive Soap Stick
    Brush: West Coast Shaving Infinity handle with a huge custom Shavemac knot.
    Razor: Karve Bronze Christopher Bradley with Open Comb B Plate
    Blade: Wilkinson Sword India (4x)
    Post: Alum and my custom Pinaud Classic Vanilla( I just added a couple of menthol crystals to the blend, wow it’s even better now!)

Phenomenal shave!!!