Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Shave of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by dan86 View Post
    It's been a bumper weekend for shaving products arriving in the mail and I've had two gifts too!

Connaught order:
    Attachment 127493

Merkur 42 (1904) Chrome Safety Razor
    RazoRock Snowman Tuxedo Shaving Brush
    Mitchells Shaving Soap with a dark oak bowl, which is great!
    Wickham 1912 Vegetal Shaving Soap (Club Cola)
    Edwin Jagger Shaving Soap Refill (Aloe Vera)
    D R Harris Shaving Soap Refill (Sandalwood)
    Cyril R Salter Shaving Cream (Sublime Citrus)
    Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol Aftershave Lotion
    LEA Menthol shaving cream tube
    LEA Sensitive Skin Aftershave Balm -- complementary gift.

I've also received a fantastic synthetic brush as a thank you from Gentleman's Face Care Club, which was a really nice gesture. It fits in my razor & brush stand perfectly.
    Attachment 127494

I have a Braun wet & dry too - a 340s. I haven't used it for a while but found it worked a lot better with shaving cream or an electric pre-shave lotion. No irritation on the neck whatsoever whereas if I tried it dry it felt horrible while using it and I'd end up looking like I had sunburn patches!
    When I first started shaving I was using a Philips rotary head. I tried their Bodygroom in 2005/6, which has a similar foil head to Braun, and I just find foil shavers seem to work a lot better for me than rotary.

Congrats on the haul Dan!

Merkur 34C w/Gillette Black Ninja//Rudy Vey 2-band Manchurian//C&S Oxford & Cambridge soap//YSL Kouros a/s & EdT

Monday June 8th

Some first time uses today for the cream and brush.

EC531233-0005-4A11-B93F-2571C50A6341.jpg

Prep: Shower, Boots cucumber facial wash & scrub
    Razor: Parker 99R
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
    Cream: Cyril Salter - Sublime Citrus
    Bowl/Stand: Edwin Jagger Double Wire Razor, Brush, & Bowl Stand
    Aftershave: Proraso Lotion & LEA Sensitive Aftershave Balm

5C0C96E1-DF24-4026-9973-DF760336CD9B.jpgD8C52D20-CA92-41C9-8467-E910A2EE48C6.jpg 43A3C2B4-BDB2-4744-97B6-AF921215DD63.jpg

Salter’s Sublime Citrus is definitely worth a try. Took me a few years to buy it and glad I did. I get some lemon and tangerine notes for sure. Very zesty. The Gentleman’s Face Care Club brush, which was sent to me, is very good. Firmer than a badger, not quite as firm as a boar and will be looking forward to trying this out with a soap. It’s made in the U.K.
    The Gillette Silver Blue worked well in the Parker 99R.
    Last edited by dan86; 10th June 2020 at 02:29 AM.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

5D3FA348-98D1-4338-840C-4B1F549744CB.jpg

It always amazes me just how good Arko shave soap performs. It’s also the perfect soap to pair with Kouros!!!

YSL’s newer scents aren’t a patch on their older fragrances for men.

Anyway... Thursday evening shave

IMG_20200611_203326.jpg

Pre: Shower, Boots Cucumber Facial Wash & Scrub
    Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
    Blade: Feather
    Brush: Gentleman’s Face Care Club (Synthetic)
    Soap: D R Harris - Sandalwood
    Post: Proraso Lotion & Men’s Master Professional Tea Tree and Menthol Aftershave Balm.
    Shave tune: Santo & Johnny - Sleep Walk

IMG_20200611_202833_edit.jpg
    One of those shaves where everything comes together. The Gentleman’s Face Care Club brush did a grand job with the D R Harris soap.

IMG_20200611_205118.jpg
    Scent of the soap a lot more subtle than the other sandalwoods from TOBS, Salter, T&H, GFT etc but nice and woody. Great lather and slickness. No hesitation recommending D R Harris soaps or the Gentleman’s Face Care Club brush. Best shave I’ve had to date with the Wilkinson Sword Classic too, the Feather blade suited it.
    10/10.

YSL’s newer scents aren’t a patch on their older fragrances for men.

Anyway... Thursday evening shave

IMG_20200611_203326.jpg

Pre: Shower, Boots Cucumber Facial Wash & Scrub
    Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
    Blade: Feather
    Brush: Gentleman’s Face Care Club (Synthetic)
    Soap: D R Harris - Sandalwood
    Post: Proraso Lotion & Men’s Master Professional Tea Tree and Menthol Aftershave Balm.
    Shave tune: Santo & Johnny - Sleep Walk

IMG_20200611_202833_edit.jpg
    One of those shaves where everything comes together. The Gentleman’s Face Care Club brush did a grand job with the D R Harris soap.

IMG_20200611_205118.jpg
    Scent of the soap a lot more subtle than the other sandalwoods from TOBS, Salter, T&H, GFT etc but nice and woody. Great lather and slickness. No hesitation recommending D R Harris soaps or the Gentleman’s Face Care Club brush. Best shave I’ve had to date with the Wilkinson Sword Classic too, the Feather blade suited it.
    10/10.
    Dan cut me some slack, I've only been into the fragrance game since February, I haven't dipped my toes into the rabbit hole of vintage fragrances yet lol. I'm a big fan of D.R. Harris products, especially their Windsor line, I absolutely love it!

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

Been too long since I had a good shave...

MALIN & GOETZ GRAPEFRUIT cleanser
    TRUMPERS VIOLET Shave Cream
    SHAVEMAC BEST BADGER brush
    MOSS SCUTTLE
    MERKUR 38C BARBERPOLE/FEATHER Blade
    DICKINSON'S WITCH HAZEL
    BARRISTER & MANN LAVENDER Aftershave
    VITAMAN Moisturizer

CARON LE 3e HOMME EdT
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky_Pete View Post
    Dan cut me some slack, I've only been into the fragrance game since February, I haven't dipped my toes into the rabbit hole of vintage fragrances yet lol. I'm a big fan of D.R. Harris products, especially their Windsor line, I absolutely love it!
    Haha, I wish Basenotes had the option of being able to give posts a thumbs up like other forums. I was trying to indicate my support for your Kouros with my comment about YSL’s newer fragrances not being a patch on their older ones. By ‘newer’ what I meant was I think there’s been a decline in their new releases for men ever since they parted company with Tom Ford, which I think was in 2004? You only have to look at his lines of fragrances to see what potential there could have been had he remained with YSL. YSL’s newer frags for men like ‘Y are a bit too ‘safe’ for me and not interesting enough, especially when you compare them to YSL pour homme, Kouros, Jazz and Opium pour homme for example.

It was very good for me to see how well the D R Harris soap performed because the consensus seems to be that when most of the main English manufacturers changed their formulas for soaps a few years back, the soaps became quite poor. I’ve not tried them as a result, so buying the refill puck of D R Harris was a bit like dipping your toes in to a bath to see if the water’s too hot for me.
    I really should get around to trying Windsor. The descriptions sound great. Marlborough is really nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Sunday Shave - June 14

Decided to get the ‘rake’ or the ‘beast’ out again today. I suppose I could name this one Frosty the Snowrake on account of the products used.

E31BE604-E8C3-45BD-97B8-825285BC7E20.jpg

Prep - Shower, facial wash and scrub.
    Razor - Mühle R41
    Blade - Gillette 7 o’clock super stainless (2)
    Brush - Razorock Tuxedo Plissoft Snowman
    Soap - Wickham 1912 Vegetal - Club Cola
    Post- shave - Proraso Lozione Dopobarbra Rinfrescante & LEA Sensitive Aftershave Balm.

Guest appearance in this shave by Thing from the Addams Family:
    02E20906-844D-4FA7-B438-594E7D24FEFD.jpg

Wickham Club Cola performed as well as the others I own from them. I think there is a smell reminiscent of Coke, especially if you have a slice of lemon in it. However, I can also see where others who liken it to ginger beer are coming from too.

E7DEF467-F6BB-436E-B4E9-1154DC2B54D1.jpg

Frosty the Razorock brush is one of the best recent additions to my lineup. Very pleased with it,
    Delighted to report no nicks at all from the R41 - it can be tamed!
    10/10 for me.

557A6531-A2C2-49A2-B247-FC9B445A0AE3.jpg

Another amazing shave! I’m constantly amazed at how well the classics perform, but then again they are classics for a reason.
    Attached Images Attached Images

557A6531-A2C2-49A2-B247-FC9B445A0AE3.jpg

Another amazing shave! I’m constantly amazed at how well the classics perform, but then again they are classics for a reason.
    So true!

I had my midweek shave later than planned this week as that beast that is the R41 had done such a good job last time I had a mere dusting of whiskers after 3 days.
    Late midweek shave

F4008C95-408A-4445-A5BD-8EE0ED825C91.jpg

Razor - Edwin Jagger DE89
    Blade - Gillette 7 o’clock super stainless (3)
    Brush - Gentleman’s Face Care Club synthetic
    Cream - LEA menthol
    Post shave - Fine Snake Bite aftershave lotion, LEA Sensitive aftershave balm.

The LEA menthol is superb if you like menthol. Same colour out of the tube as Palmolive. I did a bit of research and it transpires that Lascaray S.A, is one of Spain’s oldest companies. I’ve been that impressed with the freebie sample of the aftershave balm I was sent by Connaught and the menthol cream I’m itching to try their classic shaving soap or cream, which has a sandalwood and moss scent apparently. Like Proraso, LEA’s products seem to be in the very reasonable price range.
    I feel another order coming on!

- - - Updated - - -

Duplicate post - sorry!
    Last edited by dan86; 20th June 2020 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Duplicate

So true!

I had my midweek shave later than planned this week as that beast that is the R41 had done such a good job last time I had a mere dusting of whiskers after 3 days.
    Late midweek shave

F4008C95-408A-4445-A5BD-8EE0ED825C91.jpg

Razor - Edwin Jagger DE89
    Blade - Gillette 7 o’clock super stainless (3)
    Brush - Gentleman’s Face Care Club synthetic
    Cream - LEA menthol
    Post shave - Fine Snake Bite aftershave lotion, LEA Sensitive aftershave balm.

The LEA menthol is superb if you like menthol. Same colour out of the tube as Palmolive. I did a bit of research and it transpires that Lascaray S.A, is one of Spain’s oldest companies. I’ve been that impressed with the freebie sample of the aftershave balm I was sent by Connaught and the menthol cream I’m itching to try their classic shaving soap or cream, which has a sandalwood and moss scent apparently. Like Proraso, LEA’s products seem to be in the very reasonable price range.
    I feel another order coming on!

- - - Updated - - -

Duplicate post - sorry!
    I have yet to try Lea, but Spain and Portugal are a hot bed for great shaving products just like Italy. I'll have to give it a go sometime, thanks for sharing!

I have yet to try Lea, but Spain and Portugal are a hot bed for great shaving products just like Italy. I'll have to give it a go sometime, thanks for sharing!
    You’re welcome! I did order the LEA classic shaving soap afterwards. It should be here in the next few days. All 3 countries have definitely produced some outstanding products. On that note I am torn between a shave with my Musgo Real oakmoss cream or some excellent Italian soap from Goodfellas Smile tonight. Decisions, decisions! The Musgo has got a tiny bit of menthol in it and I’m always in the mood for menthol this time of year so that might win out!

- - - Updated - - -

Musgo won out!

Well I’d talked myself in to the Musgo Real for this shave.

IMG_20200621_202758_edit.jpg

Pre - Shower, facial wash & scrub
    Razor - King C Gillette
    Brush - Semogue 830 Boar
    Blade - King C Gillette (3)
    Cream - Musgo Real Oakmoss
    Post - Proraso Aftershave Lotion & L’Oréal Hydra Energetic Post Shave Gel Ice Cool Effect

6427035F-EE89-4C13-811A-2FA7C8B1F291.jpg

The oakmoss cream has a somewhat soapy smell but definitely a sort of what I’d liken to a wet woodland area or forest smell about it too. Quite a refreshing smelling cream to be honest. Plenty of slickness. Paired it up with another great product from Portugal, the Semogue 830.
    I’m still happy with the King C Gillette and the blades provided with it. L’Oréal’s post shave gel doesn’t have as much of an ‘ice cool’ effect as Snake Bite but back in the day I bought a few of these because it would go out of stock a lot and you wouldn’t be able to get it for weeks. Still nice to use once in a while.
    Last edited by dan86; 21st June 2020 at 10:02 PM.

User of Toilet Water

This morning's shave:

Razor: Merkur 41C
    Blade: Feather New Hi-Stainless
    Soap: Pasha's Pride from Wholly Kaw
    Brush: Oumo Wood and Resin with 24mm SHD Manchurian badger
    After shave: Formula 3 Leather from Walter Wolf Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    This morning's shave:

Love the handle on the Merkur 41 and 42c - I own the 42. Thanks for sharing.

This morning's shave:

Beautiful picture and gear, Pasha's Pride is a great scent!

User of Toilet Water

Love the handle on the Merkur 41 and 42c - I own the 42. Thanks for sharing.
    I enjoy it too. I have a preference for shorter handles.

Beautiful picture and gear, Pasha's Pride is a great scent!
    Thank you. Pasha's Pride makes me think of Amouage's Library Collection scents.

And today's German/Italian shave:

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
    Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword
    Soap: Tabac Original
    Brush: Riva Brushes synthetic knot
    After shave: Tabac Original balm and after shave lotion

249F06D3-D5A4-4729-9886-4665A56EE5FC.jpg

Simple yet effective gear, however I really wasn't paying attention while loading my brush, which ultimately gave me a hard time when building a lather on my face. Every once in a while I let my technique get sloppy and I miss out on a perfect shave. This was still a great shave, but I was a bit disappointed with the lather. The soap in question is Haslinger Schafmilch so lathering it is beyond easy, you just need to load enough. I also find when transitioning from synthetic brushes to natural hair brushes I definitely need to pay more attention.

I agree, soaps especially are a different ball game when loading with a synthetic v a natural hair brush. In fact, I can’t remember the last time I lathered a soap with a badger brush so that’s given me an idea for next time!
    The LEA Classic soap and aftershave balm I mentioned the other day turned up yesterday so I gave them a go.

F47C5DCA-E173-48D2-9B34-52480EB95DEC.jpg

Prep - lukewarm shower, facial wash & facial scrub
    Razor - Merkur 42c
    Blade - Gillette 7 o’clock super stainless (4)
    Brush - Razorock Snowman
    Soap - LEA Classic
    Post-shave - LEA Classic aftershave lotion & Rosa Impex Men’s Master Professional Tea Tree & Menthol aftershave balm

I had a cold water shave. I was inspired by Bangkok Hound’s post the other day to use my Merkur 42c again. I have only owned it for a month and mainly bought it for the handle (and the fact it’s a copy of the Gillette 1904), but it is a really nice razor to shave with. The 7 o’clock blade still doing a good job on its 4th use.
    Verdict: The LEA Classic soap is in my opinion very good for the price. It’s a proper puck like D R Harris or Mitchell’s Wool Fat and like MWF contains lanolin. I’m glad I paid a bit more for the one with the wooden bowl. As soon as I opened the box it came in I could smell the soap, which was wrapped in wax paper inside the bowl. It is a very masculine scent, I agree with descriptions on websites that say it’s woody and mossy but the bit of menthol in it reminded me a little of the smell of Deep Heat Easy to lather, decent slickness. Paired up with the matching aftershave lotion, it’s a treat.

I also invested in some Extro Cosmesi shaving cream as an indulgent purchase. I was sold by the description of it being a Patchouli heavy scented cream. It comes in a glass jar like Crabtree & Evelyn used to do. Will be looking forward to using it.

A5C25784-EB62-4F1E-B51B-6242A67F979D.jpg
    85FBC8D6-9EC6-4D38-983F-0EAD5DE30511.jpg

Pre-shave: Warm Shower
    Soap: Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream
    Cream: Gillette Satin Care Sensitive Skin Shave Gel
    Razor: Gillette Mach 3 (cartridge razor)
    Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive Soothing Post-Shave Balm

Followed by a few drops of tea tree oil on some stubborn breakouts.

Snap on the Nivea! Hadn’t used a Nivea balm in ages until last night.

921EE3D8-A811-4FC4-925E-22618D941EA2.jpg

Razor: Merkur Futur
    Blade: Feather (3)
    Brush: Cyril R Salter Pure Badger
    Cream: Goodfellas’ Smile Chronos
    Post-shave: Proraso Lotion and Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

The Futur with Feather on setting 6 gave no nicks! I really enjoyed this shave with cold water. It had been a really humid day in the UK if you were indoors so a cool shower and shave were two highlights of the day. Goodfellas’ Smile Chronos is the fourth product I have used from them now - they make excellent soaps and cream: for us fragheads they are making some of the best soaps I have used on scent alone.. One website I’ve looked on says the scent of Chronos is inspired by Invictus. Another offering Inferno, which I really like, is similar to Tuscan Leather. Chronos unlike the others I’ve used to date is more of a cream consistency but like the others produces fantastic lather - with four oils in the ingredients including Jojoba it felt very slick.

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

D'oh Wasn't patient enough today for full treatment.

WHOLLY KAW Merchant of Tobacco shave soap
    SHAVEMAC
    GILLETTE MACH 3
    DICKENSON'S WITCH HAZEL

CARON LE 3e HOMME (which is just freaking awesome)

Got a really good shave in spite of rush and typical Gillette razor.
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme

I’d ended up making myself pushed for time yesterday evening after mine - or was that the act of Chronos himself?
    In fairness the Gillette Mach 3 did a good job for me and never caused me any issues. I had the turbo one, not that I ever really used the turbo thing - did it actually do anything other than vibrate? Abandoned it purely because I was getting miffed at the price of the cartridges.
    If I were to shave with a cartridge again though I’d go with a Wilkinson Sword or Gillette one. The blades seemed to last longer than the drug store/supermarket own brand ones.

User of Toilet Water

This morning's shave:

Razor: Mühle R41 Twist

Blade: Personna Med Prep
    Soap: Thai Ginger Zest from Jack Jarvis
    Brush: Oumo Venus Silk SHD HMW Silvertip Badger
    After shave: 4711
    EDC: 4711

Beautiful shaves gentlemen!!!! I've been on vacation, but I'll be back shortly with a shave! Thanks for continuing to share your shaves!

User of Toilet Water

This morning's shave:

Razor: Rockwell 6S
    Soap: Summer Fig from Ariana and Evans
    Brush: Oumo Ambilight 26mm Badger
    After shave: Summer Fig from Ariana and Evans

This morning's shave:

Gorgeous photo!

- - - Updated - - -

dirtyver.jpg

Really liked all 3 of the last photos and great to see you have a Paul H Films D S Cosmetic brush, Pete!

It certainly wasn’t a hot afternoon on the last day of June today to borrow from the old Bobby Goldsboro song.

Tuesday June 30

1A7DEAC9-929E-4880-AD9A-377BDD7DFDEC.jpg
    Pre: Shower, Boots cucumber facial wash & facial scrub
    Razor: Mühle “the rake” R41
    Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (4)
    Brush: Gentleman’s Face Care Club - synthetic
    Soap: Goodfellas’ Smile Abysso
    Post-shave: Proraso Rinfrescante Lotion & Rosa Impex Men’s Master Professional Tea Tree and Menthol Aftershave Balm

The Goodfellas’ Smile Abysso is very nice. I read on one site it’s meant to be inspired by Cool Water. Definitely a nice citrusy acquatic and fresh scent.
    Decided to bowl lather it as opposed to face lathering, which I usually do with their croaps.
    IMG_20200630_203022.jpg

I’m giving this shave a 10/10. The Mühle was really good with the Wilkinson Sword Classic blade, which I hadn’t used for a while.
    Still happy with the brush too, which was sent to me by Gentleman’s Face Care Club.

This morning's shave:

Looks wonderful!

User of Toilet Water

Gorgeous photo!

- - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Looks wonderful!
    Thank you! The shave was equally as good.

Weather was rubbish today but my evening shave made up for it.
    I got to try out the Extro Cosmesi cream and it’s great. A harder cream than TOBS but lathers easily and it was reminding me of a few colognes during the shave. A nice glass tub too - felt like a paperweight!!

5653B6D7-177F-48A4-B2AE-B3FC1F09E957.jpg
    Razor - Wilkinson Sword Classic
    Blade - Gillette 7 o’ clock super stainless (5)
    Brush - Semogue 830
    Cream - Extro Cosmesi Camelot
    Post-shave - LEA Classic aftershave lotion & Geo Trumper’s Sandalwood skin food.

10/10.

Even I was impressed by how well the 7 o’clock blade performed on outing #5. It was a mild but enjoyable shave, helped by the cream and rounded off with an old favourite, Sandalwood skin food.

018DE4B2-4F1D-43C8-8D68-D6B36DD9A799.jpg