Default Re: Shave of the Day

An all American shave for this 4th of July morning:

Razor: Rockwell 6S
    Blade: Personna Med Prep
    Soap: Autumn Ash from Southern Witchcrafts
    Brush: "China Grove" from Sawdust Creations Studio
    After shave: Autumn Ash from Southern Witchcrafts

I do like the look of that Rockwell 6S, Mr Hound!

Monday late night shave

Pre: Boots Facial wash & facial scrub
    Razor: King C Gillette
    Blade: King C Gillette (4)
    Brush: Razorock Tuxedo Plissoft Snowman
    Soap: D R Harris - Windsor
    Post: Proraso Aftershave Lotion (Rinfrescante) & Issey Miyake L’eau D’Issey Pour Homme Aftershave Balm:

EC67D668-3CB8-4C4E-A886-AF78002B66C3.jpg

Very impressed with both the scent of the Windsor and performance too. Lathered as easily as some of my best performing creams:
    C94FD0B8-E0BC-42C0-9426-224AB3C2100F.jpg

day4beau copy.jpg

Finally managed to fit a shave in, whew!

This is my first time using a Feather blade in any razor, and this shave was the 5th use with the Feather. Smooooooooth! The Merkur 34c is smooth, but paired with the Feather it really sings. I've heard that these blades lose their sharpness rather quickly, so we'll see how long this one lasts. I typically get 4-7 shaves out of my blades before I toss them. I'll be taking this Feather to the limit.

Soap used was Haslinger Schafmilch, which has just a lovely and light scent. Aftershave, which is not pictured was my custom blend of Pinaud Classic Vanilla, and then I applied Beau de Jour by Tom Ford for the 4th day in a row this week. I'm really trying to get to know this fragrance and appreciate its' beauty. I'm loving it!

Friday lunchtime shave

3 new products today - a razor, a soap and an aftershave splash.

D537E019-E765-4998-B807-C740049DBC9D.jpg

Razor - Fatip Classic Grande (open comb)
    Blade - Gillette Wilkinson Sword (3)
    Brush - Razorock Snowman
    Soap - Goodfellas’ Smile Pino Alpestre
    Post - Razorock Blue Barbershop Aftershave Lotion

The Fatip is a great and inexpensive razor. It was a toss up between a Piccolo or the Grande but I liked the piped detail on the handle of the Grande. Very smooth shave with a Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade. Pino Alpestre soap has a woody and slightly herbal scent to my nose - a classic sort of smell and very nice. Razorock’s Blue Barbershop was apparently inspired by Floid Blue, is very refreshing and a decent lasting one for scent too.

Schick Krona with a Kai blade
    Kent BK4
    Stirling Iced Pineapple soap
    La Toja aftershave splash

Quote Originally Posted by dan86 View Post
    Friday lunchtime shave

3 new products today - a razor, a soap and an aftershave splash.

D537E019-E765-4998-B807-C740049DBC9D.jpg

Razor - Fatip Classic Grande (open comb)
    Blade - Gillette Wilkinson Sword (3)
    Brush - Razorock Snowman
    Soap - Goodfellas’ Smile Pino Alpestre
    Post - Razorock Blue Barbershop Aftershave Lotion

The Fatip is a great and inexpensive razor. It was a toss up between a Piccolo or the Grande but I liked the piped detail on the handle of the Grande. Very smooth shave with a Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade. Pino Alpestre soap has a woody and slightly herbal scent to my nose - a classic sort of smell and very nice. Razorock’s Blue Barbershop was apparently inspired by Floid Blue, is very refreshing and a decent lasting one for scent too.
    Dan, I gotta hand it to you, I am impressed with your first use of the Fatip. My first use was absolutely bloody carnage due to using too much pressure and the wrong angle. Most of my razors are on the mild side and so I have to remind myself when using an aggressive razor that little to no pressure is key. Once I dialed in the pressure and went in with a very steep angle, the shaves were definitely nice and smooth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mattybumpkin View Post
    Schick Krona with a Kai blade
    Kent BK4
    Stirling Iced Pineapple soap
    La Toja aftershave splash

Welcome to the threat Matty, great gear you have there!

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky_Pete View Post
    Dan, I gotta hand it to you, I am impressed with your first use of the Fatip. My first use was absolutely bloody carnage due to using too much pressure and the wrong angle. Most of my razors are on the mild side and so I have to remind myself when using an aggressive razor that little to no pressure is key. Once I dialed in the pressure and went in with a very steep angle, the shaves were definitely nice and smooth.
    Thank you, Pete. I found the feel of the first pass especially quite similar to the R41. I think a combination of luck (beginner’s ) and like you say keeping light pressure worked in my favour. Having the time on my hands as I’d finished work for the day was also an advantage. I even opted to do a third pass on my neck with the Fatip, which I’ve been having better luck with this year on the irritation front: happy to report 2 days later and no sign of any irritation.

I’ve been using the more aggressive razors in my collection - the R41 and the Futur - more frequently this year. I’ve noticed my stubble will take longer to get to the same thickness it usually is after using them when compared to after using the EJ DE89. I could get away with not shaving for an extra day or two but I think if I were regularly only shaving once every 5 days the chances of me using up most of the current soap and cream collection will be very low!
    Last edited by dan86; 12th July 2020 at 06:24 PM.

F8179AC4-E53C-4236-B73C-F58C038276B3.jpg

Great shave this morning, six shaves on this feather and still going.

Today I was using my Nivea Extra Sensitive cream with my Ming Shi razor (Merkur Futur copy) and Shark SS blade on a three day growth.

After four swipes with that razor, I gave up, and switched to my Jagger 87 for a satisfying shave.

And I keep asking myself, why do I keep persisting with the Merkur Futur and the Ming Shi?
    They are terrible razors - just because numerous guys say they get the best shaves of their lives from them doesn't mean I ever will.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Today I was using my Nivea Extra Sensitive cream with my Ming Shi razor (Merkur Futur copy) and Shark SS blade on a three day growth.

After four swipes with that razor, I gave up, and switched to my Jagger 87 for a satisfying shave.

And I keep asking myself, why do I keep persisting with the Merkur Futur and the Ming Shi?
    They are terrible razors - just because numerous guys say they get the best shaves of their lives from them doesn't mean I ever will.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Your shave should be relaxing and enjoyable. Stick with the gear that just works!

Your shave should be relaxing and enjoyable. Stick with the gear that just works!
    Completely agree. You’ve got to use what feels right for you. I tend to shave with my mildest razors more often than not. By pure coincidence I shaved with the Futur today, again because I had the time to be extra cautious using it. I wouldn’t use it as a daily razor if I shaved daily and to be fair to it it gives me such a close shave I wouldn’t need to use it daily anyway.
    Here was my Monday menthol shave today:

5A3BD533-1901-4177-8C2C-403DFE11F96D.jpg

Merkur Futur
    Gillette 7 o’clock super stainless (6)
    Fine Snake Bite soap
    Gentleman’s Face Care Club synthetic brush
    Fine Snake Bite Aftershave Lotion and LEA Sensitive Aftershave Balm

The star of the show today has to be the blade. I was very impressed by how sharp and yet still smooth it felt on shave #6. Absence has made the heart grow fonder in this case as until a few weeks back I hadn’t shaved with one of these blades for probably a year. Glad to hear the Feather is performing as well for you Pete!.

BCD7B9E9-91F2-4900-A3FE-C18219739601.jpg

User of Toilet Water

Yesterday morning's shave:

Razor: Fatip Piccolo
    Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword
    Cream: Cedarwood from Taylor of Old Bond Street
    Brush: Riva Brushes synthetic briar wood end synthetic knot
    After shave: PS Fine Cologne from Paul Sebastian

And this morning's shave:

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale
    Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword
    Soap: Necromantic from Southern Witchcrafts
    Brush: Oumo Ambilight 26mm Badger
    After shave: Necromantic from Southern Witchcrafts

But I keep wondering - what can I do different to come close to achieving the ultra-satisfactory shaves of others?

On the other hand......I think you are ultimately correct.
    Cheers,
    Renato

But I keep wondering - what can I do different to come close to achieving the ultra-satisfactory shaves of others?

On the other hand......I think you are ultimately correct.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Out of interest Renato, where does the Futur let you down when you use it? I can’t comment on the Ming Shi, which I remember you recommending to me, but wonder if some shared experiences of the Futur might help? Does it let you down during or after the shave?
    I wouldn’t say it’s the best razor in my collection. I also didn’t like the feel of too much blade exposure for the first 4-5 years of owning it so only used it on settings 1-3. Bizarrely - and I’ve said this before - I now quite enjoy the feel of a shave on setting 6.
    However, I don’t shave with it that often and I don’t think I would enjoy shaving with it if I used it every week.

Quote Originally Posted by dan86 View Post
    Out of interest Renato, where does the Futur let you down when you use it? I can’t comment on the Ming Shi, which I remember you recommending to me, but wonder if some shared experiences of the Futur might help? Does it let you down during or after the shave?
    I wouldn’t say it’s the best razor in my collection. I also didn’t like the feel of too much blade exposure for the first 4-5 years of owning it so only used it on settings 1-3. Bizarrely - and I’ve said this before - I now quite enjoy the feel of a shave on setting 6.
    However, I don’t shave with it that often and I don’t think I would enjoy shaving with it if I used it every week.
    Hi Dan,
    I just get far too many micro-nicks and real bleeding nicks using the Futur at it's lowest setting. The open blade seems relatively unsupported.
    The Ming Shi I have used up to setting 3 without those problems - and I started to not mind it last year when I was shaving every day or day and a half. But I found it hopeless yesterday on my three day lock-down growth (I now mainly shave to go to the supermarket).

The Jack-The-Barber razor I mentioned in another thread has a fairly open blade too, but is more supported. And I've never had a problem with the vicious looking open blade of the Merkur Slant, which is very well supported.

At least the Futur isn't as bad as shavettes, which are 10 to 20 times worse on me - but of course, there are people who love shavettes and say they get the best shaves from them.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Hi Dan,
    I just get far too many micro-nicks and real bleeding nicks using the Futur at it's lowest setting. The open blade seems relatively unsupported.
    The Ming Shi I have used up to setting 3 without those problems - and I started to not mind it last year when I was shaving every day or day and a half. But I found it hopeless yesterday on my three day lock-down growth (I now mainly shave to go to the supermarket).

The Jack-The-Barber razor I mentioned in another thread has a fairly open blade too, but is more supported. And I've never had a problem with the vicious looking open blade of the Merkur Slant, which is very well supported.

At least the Futur isn't as bad as shavettes, which are 10 to 20 times worse on me - but of course, there are people who love shavettes and say they get the best shaves from them.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Well you’re ahead of me because I’ve yet to try a slant or a shavette! I’ve held a decent shavette - my barber uses one - but I didn’t like the feel of it in the hand.

It sounds like you just had an off day with the Ming Shi if you’ve been experiencing no or few problems with it the last year or so. The last time I nicked myself I was using one of the mildest razors in my collection, if not the mildest - the plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic! I don’t know how I managed it.
    I gave myself a cut that I thought would leave a scar with my Parker 99R two years ago as well.

For what it’s worth I’ve read others’ experiences with the Futur and they’re far from being all positive. It isn’t a holy grail of razors I don’t think.
    I’m pretty sure I’ve read some have had poor quality control examples as well, so that could be a factor with yours?

I’m convinced I shave with a slightly shallower angle with the Futur than other razors and I definitely hold it differently due to the weight. I’ve got more of a pinched grip with my thumb and index finger higher up the handle towards the head whereas I tend to hold other razors somewhere in the middle or just above the middle of the handle with my thumb, index and middle finger.

Another thing I’ve yet to decide on is if I’ll try and get hold of a vintage at some point. I think I’ll be prioritising a modern stainless steel first though.