Code of Conduct

Default HELP! (Frankincense, Oud, Bakhoor)

I’m looking for some direction to get started with burning frankincense, oud, Bakhoor, myrrh etc. Here are my questions...

1) Where can I buy a simple, good quality burner? It seems Amazon is full of cheap metals, painted, novelty burners. What was used 100 years ago? 1,000 years ago? Maybe unglazed ceramic?

2) Is the same burner used for Oud, Frankincense, Bakhoor etc? Same method of burning?

3) What are some good sources for natural, non synthetic oud, Bakhoor and Incense? (EO has good Frankincense, any comparable sources?)

4) Any tips on how much to burn and how often? I’m sure it’s all expensive and wouldn’t want to waste any.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: HELP! (Frankincense, Oud, Bakhoor)

What about using a small brass bowl with sand? Any reason not to?

Basenotes Plus

The most authentic and fairly simple way to burn bakhoor, oud and resins is the use charcoal pucks/disks in some type of burner bowl.
    You can find some very nice looking burners for relatively little $$. Next item needed would be a way to get the charcoal started. Either on a stove or a small butane torch.
    To enjoy bakhoor, oud or resins in your home is going to cost some $$ for the initial setup in hardware.

These fragrance materials require quite a bit of heat to come to life. Another way to burn them is an electric incense burner/heater. A quality burner/heater with some type of temperature control is going to run around $60. Of course you can find much more expensive models or much cheaper units. But if you're testing the bakhoor/oud/resin waters you should give yourself the best chance of having an enjoyable experience.

Once you have your hardware, then you need some materials to begin your journey. I really enjoy Nabeel's bakhoor and have burned some resins, but never climbed the oud mountain. My cheapie setup got hot enough for bakhoor, but doesn't create enough heat for resins or oud.

It's important that you use something that is safe. I would suggest something that is not entirely made of ceramic or metal, a wooden burner is best or something that does not conduct the heat, like the square-shaped one's used in Saudi Arabia.

Incense, oud, frankincense etc. is all placed on a small piece of charcoal inside the burner. Self-lighting charcoal is the best for this.

There are several companies selling agarwood and frankincense, too many to list here. Frankincense is dirt cheap in the Arabian Gulf, natural oud (agarwood) is generally very expensive, beware of cheap imitations. Even Fragrance du Bois are selling premium incense now.

Only place a few small pieces in the coal and take it around your house, never smother the coal. I usually burn agarwood once or twice a week maximum. Any other times, I will use frankincense or bakhoor (incense).

Thanks for the tips. I’m looking for one to fill with sand to use with charcoal. Why are they all so tiny? I mean, at least 5 or 6 inches but the largest I’m finding are 2-4 inches diameter. That’s barely big enough for the charcoal. What about the soapstone bowls are they ok to use? Shouldn’t crack right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dothraki View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I’m looking for one to fill with sand to use with charcoal. Why are they all so tiny? I mean, at least 5 or 6 inches but the largest I’m finding are 2-4 inches diameter. That’s barely big enough for the charcoal. What about the soapstone bowls are they ok to use? Shouldn’t crack right?
    They won't crack but I would suggest getting something with a handle. If you search for larger bakhoor burner, you will definitely find one. I've seen them the height of a young child in the Middle East.

I went with a little 3” diameter cast iron “pot” with wood handle, Shoyeido charcoal and white sand. I’ll place the pot on a piece of wood when using it. I searched for hours and hours and just got frustrated with how small and chintzy everything was so just pulled the trigger on something quick. I have some Hojari Frankincense on the way from Ensar Oud. Now I’ll grab a little torch lighter for the charcoal. I didn’t want anything with saltpeter in it so went with the hard to light charcoal.

It loses some of the romance, but I now use an electric burner. They're much safer, and a lot easier to control.

I burn agarwood, frankincense or bakhoor, depending on mood and occasion/