Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Be aware of scammers private messaging in response to wanted-to-buy posts

Be aware of people with new user accounts messaging members who have wanted-to-buy (WTB) posts claiming that some random person has what they’re looking for. Don’t fall for it, don’t email the address they provide. It’s just like RigbyAllyn two weeks ago.

Link to the post about RigbyAllyn:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/476...ckground-Check

Report suspicious messages by clicking the icon below the post / message!
    Last edited by Bavard; 30th May 2020 at 09:00 PM.
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

Exclamation Active scammer alert - got scammed on the "Fragrances Wanted" forum

I'm putting out an active scammer alert.

Brand-new user account PMed me regarding my WTB thread. Stated that he knows someone who has the fragrance I'm looking for and sent me his email.
    The user's name was HOLA - and his account was created 3 days prior to PMing me with 0 posts. I think that he's probably PMing all of the WTB threads.

I emailed the 'seller' and discussed the purchase of the fragrance which was selling for a fair and realistic price. I asked the seller for a pic of fragrance and it's fill level so he sends me a pic, and I bought the frag with PayPal Goods and Services. He sends me two follow-up emails asking that I resend him the payment as "Friends and Family" because there is a "problem with his PayPal account". He ignores my offer to just reimburse him the PayPal fee. I already had a bad feeling about this transaction but this really gave me the push to dig deeper. I found the following:

- Original point of contact was a brand new user "HOLA" with 0 posts and an account made 3 days before contacting me.
    - The photo that he sent me was a photoshopped (cropped and darkened) version of an original photo of "Oud Maximus" posted in the Bortnikoff thread on here by a user from India in 10/28/2018.
    - Seller asked that I send money to a PayPal account that did not match his email address, however it was a very unusual email: "dothanhlam1lx304a2@gmail.com"
    - Seller did not have access to the PayPal account to check whether the payment was received and asked me to "prove that I sent the payment".
    - The PayPal that I sent the money to was named "Đức Trung Dương" and did not match the seller's name of "Richard" who's gmail account has the name "Robert Garcia" programmed into it.
    - Seller did not want a reimbursement for the "Goods and Services fee", he wanted the money resent as "Friends and Family".

Anyone who has posted a "WTB" thread - BEWARE - there is an active scammer that's likely going down the list of posts there and PMing people stating that he knows someone who has the fragrance they're looking for and will give you an email address to contact. In my case; this user's account was just made and had 0 posts but your mileage may vary - use extra caution.

I'm sure some would like to post to tell me "no sh*t, I'm an idiot". Yea.... I know...
    Yes, I filed a claim with PayPal and sent them a PDF of my email correspondence with "Richard".
    Last edited by FragSyndrome; 23rd May 2020 at 05:50 AM.
    Currently wearing: Musk Khabib by Bortnikoff

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Active scammer alert - got scammed on the "Fragrances Wanted" forum

Thanks for the heads up! Seems like you handled the situation well in the end. I'm sure you'll be fine. Best of luck with it.
    Do you even niche and/or artisanal?
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Problem with someone like this is even IP bans won't stop them if they're behind proxies or using other internet magic to hide themselves. They'll just get a new mask and try again, forever. You'll have to get them located and arrested.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Thanks for sharing. Maybe we should use goods and services as the default payment mode on paypal.

Pretty obvious scam good thing you didn't fall for it. They're on eBay too I had to cancel a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    Pretty obvious scam good thing you didn't fall for it. They're on eBay too I had to cancel a purchase.
    Under what name?
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Néroli Sauvage by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    Pretty obvious scam that I totally fell for!
    Luckily I used "Good and Services" to transfer the money.
    Lets see how the PayPal Buyer Protection holds up - I'm taking it for a spin right now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FragSyndrome View Post
    The user's name was HOLA - and his account was created 3 days prior to PMing me with 0 posts.
    I decline to read further. Please don't tell me that you even made a deal with someone related to that user....

Next time, the simpliest thing would be to be smart, and report that kind of fishing attempt to the mods, like it is customary to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    I decline to read further. Please don't tell me that you even made a deal with someone related to that user....

Next time, the simpliest thing would be to be smart, and report that kind of fishing attempt to the mods, like it is customary to do.
    I'm sure some would like to post to tell me "no sh*t, I'm an idiot". Yea.... I know...

Yup

Banned

Yup
    So if you knew that it would have happened, there must be a valid reason. But sometimes we want to believe... Happened to me too, when I bought a bottle of Cartier Pasha for $15 on ebay, just to receive a message from ebay directly after a couple of days telling me that the seller's account had been deactivated and I got a refund.

Default Active scammer alert - got scammed on the "Fragrances Wanted" forum

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    So if you knew that it would have happened, there must be a valid reason.
    I processed and performed this “transaction” on my laptop off to the side while I was working from home and didn’t give it my full attention. I didn’t even realize that user had 0 posts and just joined the forum.

I only realized that I’ve been scammed after my work day was over when I had a chance to review everything that transpired in greater detail.

I guess you could say that I was scammed due to my negligence.

Maybe not allowing Private Messaging functionality to/from new accounts until 100/200 posts or BN Plus. It will discourage a lot of these scammer asshats.

Even if you pay Goods and Services you still have the hassle.

Dependent

I'll never do biz with anybody with zero posts or feedback.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Thanks for sharing this warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Hola reached out to me on my WTB with a friend's email who for some reason quoted me higher then list or what I could buy bnib for so I passed.

I didn't even get close to researching anything with this seller but I will say they were patient waiting to email me back trying to make it seem like they were working and had to wait to respond.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post

I would think most people wouldn't.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Always be smelling

I think Hat and beard also ran into the same guy.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Paradigm by Avon

Sorry to hear that this happened to you. Thanks for the heads up. I hope PayPal will get your problem resolved quickly.

Hope you get your money back .
    Current top choices:
    1- Portrait of A Lady
    2- Guerlain Derby
    3- 40 knots by Xerjoff
    4- Bond 9 New York Oud
    5- Mamluk by Xerjoff
    6- Coromandel by Chanel
    7- Back to Black , by Kilian
    8- Chanel 19
    9- Dior Oud Isphahn
    10- Richwood by Xerjoff
    Currently wearing: Beloved Man by Amouage

Thank you for the alert. Very valuable post.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Sorry to hear this and thanks for the heads up on this scammer/loser...hope you get this resolved quickly.
    Currently wearing: Fjerne by Slumberhouse

This.

- The photo that he sent me was a photoshopped (cropped and darkened) version of an original photo of "Oud Maximus" posted in the Bortnikoff thread on here by a user from India in 10/28/2018.
    I wonder whether reverse image searching via Google would've brought something up. That's another tool that could be perhaps used to see whether the picture was 'borrowed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Maybe not allowing Private Messaging functionality to/from new accounts until 100/200 posts or BN Plus. It will discourage a lot of these scammer asshats.
    Sounds like a good idea.

I received a similar message from a user with the name "RichardG" who had just joined the day before. He said his "friend" had a bottle "in excellent conditions" for sale and gave me his email address. My scammer warning went into overdrive immediately.

I checked the profile page of this user, and saw that three or four other (established) members had visited it in the only day it existed, so I messaged each of them and confirmed that, indeed, this person was trying to scam people who had posted in the WTB forum.

DIE SCAMMER SCUM
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Agree 100%

Please, folks, when you run across a suspected scammer let the mods know. I've permanently banned "Hola" but if we know early on there is a scammer, Grant can block IP addresses and we can be more watchful.
    If you can't smell me from six feet away, I'm not wearing enough.

It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Basenotes Plus

Fwiw, I got ripped off hundreds of dollars by a BN'er who had solid feedback from members here in high standing. It was my fault for accepting his bullshit excuse for changing the way I funded the deal but I wrongly trusted his feedback. Sometimes you live, learn and lose a bunch of money...
    Currently wearing: Aoud by Roja Dove

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    It was my fault for accepting his bullshit excuse for changing the way I funded the deal but I wrongly trusted his feedback.
    Sorry to hear that.
    That can happen, but this kind of incidents are much rarer (if not sporadical) with a BNer with good feedback, than one who has 0 feedback. Anyways, I absolutely decline to go F&F on Paypal, even with trusted BNers.

Quote Originally Posted by Oud Dude View Post
    Sometimes you live, learn and lose a bunch of money...
    Many of life's lessons are costly ones.