Code of Conduct

Default Ensar Oud Kastalana

I received a sample of Kastalana Thai/Cambodian oud oil with my order from EO. This is my first with an oud. I must say, itís quite addicting and mind blowing that this scent came from a tree alone. Itís deep and sparkly at the same time. Reminds me of ripe maybe fermented blackberries, bubbling tree sap as if a hot piece of cedar is near the fire but not combusted. Super rich and fruity, hot juicy woods note.

Well if this is oud...Iím all in! I ordered a bottle of Kastalana and Naga Layyen (Nagaland/Cambodia) which I havenít tried yet but sounded different than Kastalana scent profile so figured Iíd give it a shot.

Anyone with oud experience try Kastalana? How does this compare to other ouds youíve tried and what are your thoughts? I have no reference to compare but it is wonderful to my nose.

Default Re: Ensar Oud Kastalana

Quote Originally Posted by Dothraki View Post
    I received a sample of Kastalana Thai/Cambodian oud oil with my order from EO. This is my first with an oud. I must say, it’s quite addicting and mind blowing that this scent came from a tree alone. It’s deep and sparkly at the same time. Reminds me of ripe maybe fermented blackberries, bubbling tree sap as if a hot piece of cedar is near the fire but not combusted. Super rich and fruity, hot juicy woods note.

Well if this is oud...I’m all in! I ordered a bottle of Kastalana and Naga Layyen (Nagaland/Cambodia) which I haven’t tried yet but sounded different than Kastalana scent profile so figured I’d give it a shot.

Anyone with oud experience try Kastalana? How does this compare to other ouds you’ve tried and what are your thoughts? I have no reference to compare but it is wonderful to my nose.
    I gotta give you a heads up about Nagalayyen. It’s the closest to a challenging Oud scent that a non challenging Oud profile can have. What I mean by that is it will seem very “barnyard” compared to how light Kastalana is. Nagalayyen is dark, resinous, and deeply woodsy which is reminiscent of a Hindi but with nuances of a cambodi and devoid of fermentation notes. It’s only ever so slightly fecal for the first two hours or so before drying down to an amazingly deep plum/raisin core. It has amazing projection and longevity. It’ll fill a room and is quite pungent. A little goes a long way.

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Haven't tried this one yet. But I noticed it is being discounted on his site. I have a sample I need to test.

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    I gotta give you a heads up about Nagalayyen. It’s the closest to a challenging Oud scent that a non challenging Oud profile can have. What I mean by that is it will seem very “barnyard” compared to how light Kastalana is. Nagalayyen is dark, resinous, and deeply woodsy which is reminiscent of a Hindi but with nuances of a cambodi and devoid of fermentation notes. It’s only ever so slightly fecal for the first two hours or so before drying down to an amazingly deep plum/raisin core. It has amazing projection and longevity. It’ll fill a room and is quite pungent. A little goes a long way.
    Awesome, you painted a clear picture of the profile to me Thanks!! That’s right in line with what I want to try next. Couldn’t find any Hindi oud, but know I like the fruity Cambodian so far so maybe a good stepping stone in the other direction. I’m very surprised there is not more action in the oud forum. I feel like every fragrance journey would (or should) eventually lead to oud. As well as Deer Musk, Ambergris, Castoreum etc. for blends but really oud is a one man band, one man orchestra rather. Doesn’t need to be mixed with anything! I keep thinking of allll the bottles I could sell off to buy more oud Just need to sample a ton first.

@TNBLUEMIKE you should try Kastalana...coming from someone that’s never tried oud lol, but to me it’s incredible just take that with a grain of salt..or musk? Hahaha. but really, it smells like what I picture the sap (or juice) from a gummy berry tree would taste like.

Awesome, you painted a clear picture of the profile to me Thanks!! That’s right in line with what I want to try next. Couldn’t find any Hindi oud, but know I like the fruity Cambodian so far so maybe a good stepping stone in the other direction. I’m very surprised there is not more action in the oud forum. I feel like every fragrance journey would (or should) eventually lead to oud. As well as Deer Musk, Ambergris, Castoreum etc. for blends but really oud is a one man band, one man orchestra rather. Doesn’t need to be mixed with anything! I keep thinking of allll the bottles I could sell off to buy more oud Just need to sample a ton first.

@TNBLUEMIKE you should try Kastalana...coming from someone that’s never tried oud lol, but to me it’s incredible just take that with a grain of salt..or musk? Hahaha. but really, it smells like what I picture the sap (or juice) from a gummy berry tree would taste like.
    Oud is amazing for that very reason. Very rarely do raw materials have clearly defined scent pyramids. Nagalayyen’s description that ensar used was spot on but only after a month of wearing it. That first month was very fecal/horse dung smelling to me. It wasn’t until I got another Cambodi from Agarwood Assam - Raj Khmer that the fecal aspects went away. Oud will recalibrate your nose like no other!

You should check out the ouddict forum you’d be a great addition over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    Oud is amazing for that very reason. Very rarely do raw materials have clearly defined scent pyramids. Nagalayyen’s description that ensar used was spot on but only after a month of wearing it. That first month was very fecal/horse dung smelling to me. It wasn’t until I got another Cambodi from Agarwood Assam - Raj Khmer that the fecal aspects went away. Oud will recalibrate your nose like no other!

You should check out the ouddict forum you’d be a great addition over there.
    I look forward to the deep oud dive. I’ll check out ouddict for sure, thanks!!

how does it work?

I look forward to the deep oud dive. I’ll check out ouddict for sure, thanks!!
    Did you receive your order of Nagalayyen yet? What are your thoughts?