Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Perfume Game: Summer's night near the coastline / beach

I'd really like to give this a go. I'm absolutely bored and this would be a fun activity and keep me productive! SIgn me up .

Basenotes Junkie

i'm in too

Dependent

I'll join, hopefully I can get a good concept going here. Sounds fun.

Paul will you accept Lyral in the formulas? Or anything else noteworthy for that matter?
    Last edited by chyprefresh; 21st May 2020 at 03:54 PM.

Ok lots of people! And 2 more days b fore finalizing, I am going to start the count, really to try to encourage anybody on the side lines who is interested.
    1.Bkkorn. 2. Devil’s son in law 3. Kasper Kafel
    4. Subumbra 5. Filousoph 6. Geico
    7. Benjwi02 8. Xii 9. Pavomi 10. Adame
    11. Bluescent 12. Ourmess 13. Andreasmg13
    15 Denmia 16. Tim Cooper 17. Habibigotit
    18. Leranthenon 19. Chyprefresh 20. Jolieo

So Rustin Timbersilk and Tyriekm are you in? I wasn’t sure...

Anyone else thinking about I, come join the fun!

Dependent

Alright sweet I'm in.

I'm going to go for a trendy but niche style fragrance, with risky atmospheric elements which make it unique and daring for me, I guess this would be more in line with a Tom Ford frag. And the chances of this smelling great are low but it's worth a shot.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by chyprefresh View Post
    Alright sweet I'm in.

I'm going to go for a trendy but niche style fragrance, with risky atmospheric elements which make it unique and daring for me, I guess this would be more in line with a Tom Ford frag. And the chances of this smelling great are low but it's worth a shot.
    Sounds awesome! As a judge, I would spend an entire day (roughly 6 am to 9 pm) with each fragrance, keep a bunch of notes to help me remember them, and then rank them in order of preference at the end (with a short note about each).

Alright sweet I'm in.

God chypre! I so wish I knew what that meant! Of course it will be a minute before I can find a Tom ford to go smell, but I am going to try!

Theme - 'Summer's night near the coastline / beach.'

So ive already started working multiple various blends for this project/contest this week, and still dialing it in. So what are the official steps in participating?

- do we post here our perfumes 'story/theme' (generalization of a descriptive story behind it), along with the notes used in it?
    - and then mail in a small 5ml spray sample to each judge (will need their addresses)?

Im just curious as to how to participate (the steps) once my fragrance is ready to enter.
    ...bathing in perfumes...

Basenotes Plus

Paul will you accept Lyral in the formulas? Or anything else noteworthy for that matter?
    Any raw material is fine...
    I already mentioned my own allergies in one of the first messages, but everything should be fine...

If something smells like trash, as someone has said they were thinking of making as a part of their submission, I may not be wearing it... LOL!
    But it will get smell strip judged...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

will I participate in this game?
    I might, but have a sinus problem going on for now, so I have to see how it goes;
    and if it gets better fast, I will surely give it a try

any time period set yet?
    'Today I'm a star. What will I be tomorrow? A black hole?'
    Woody Allen

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Godmu View Post
    any time period set yet?
    See post #1
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Bkkorn in the past everything was sent the judges, and the judges did their thing, and then the contestant posted the formula. That made for good fun because sometimes the formula “should have” smelt different but whatever went awry...
    This one might have to be different just because each person does have a story line but the judges shouldn’t have to type out the story! So maybe when we get word from the judges we can each post our story, then the judges can reply to our post to critique. Does that sound about right judges?
    I don’t think that we should post the formulas until the critique is done, I think because I believe the focus should be on the judges efforts.and it could influence how they perceive the scent, they could go looking for notes, or over perceive notes that are stated. Does that sound right too?

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Sounds awesome! As a judge, I would spend an entire day (roughly 6 am to 9 pm) with each fragrance, keep a bunch of notes to help me remember them, and then rank them in order of preference at the end (with a short note about each).
    To me that’s funny! Mine will not last all day, lol. I am aiming for 5-6 hours! I am a beginner AND I work with mostly naturals....

Quote Originally Posted by Godmu View Post
    will I participate in this game?
    I might, but have a sinus problem going on for now, so I have to see how it goes;
    and if it gets better fast, I will surely give it a try

any time period set yet?

Shipping deadline is July 15 2020.
    But read the first post : those are the rules!
    Just post by the 23rd: it will be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolieo View Post
    I don’t think that we should post the formulas until the critique is done, I think because I believe the focus should be on the judges efforts.and it could influence how they perceive the scent, they could go looking for notes, or over perceive notes that are stated. Does that sound right too?
    I agree with this. I think formulas shouldn't be posted publicly until all entries have been mailed to judges ad they had a chance to smell them all and critique them. Maybe we post formulas after the round of "judges critiques" have been made and posted, and a winner is declared.....then everyone can post their formulas.

But i do feel we should post our perfumes "theme/story" publicly (or maybe just mail a statement letter with the perfume entry), before/while the judges get the perfume, so they have an idea of what were were going for and trying to achieve as they sniff them.

* I want to somehow let Paul know theres some Jasmine in mine, before he smells it so he is aware
    ...bathing in perfumes...

I'm in ! Time to get back into making smelly things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolieo View Post
    To me that’s funny! Mine will not last all day, lol. I am aiming for 5-6 hours! I am a beginner AND I work with mostly naturals....
    Sounds perfect. I'll have to re-up midday.

Count me in.. Hopefully I can finish it before I get called for work again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkkorn View Post
    I agree with this. I think formulas shouldn't be posted publicly until all entries have been mailed to judges ad they had a chance to smell them all and critique them. Maybe we post formulas after the round of "judges critiques" have been made and posted, and a winner is declared.....then everyone can post their formulas.

But i do feel we should post our perfumes "theme/story" publicly (or maybe just mail a statement letter with the perfume entry), before/while the judges get the perfume, so they have an idea of what were were going for and trying to achieve as they sniff them.

* I want to somehow let Paul know theres some Jasmine in mine, before he smells it so he is aware
    Just state the jasmine. Send the “essay” and post it here, but much closer to the actual judging.
    My vision is that the judge can find the essay post, quote it, and put their critique under the statement.
    Then the contestant can post their formulas under their essay, or under the last critique of their perfume, but only when judges are done,agreed?

Tomorrow is the deadline. I will send pm to each contestant about everything on the 24th. As the deadline gets near or someone declares that they are done, I will get the judges mailing address, and pm it to each contestant. Agreed?

If anyone wants to modify, make suggestions, etc now is the time! You can also pm me if you should like!

Dependent

Sounds good Jolieo

Okay I'm in!

Are there any rules with respect to materials? Are we allowed to use bases or accords?

Thanks,

Habibi

Dependent

Anything goes I guess

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by HabibiGotIt View Post
    Are there any rules with respect to materials? Are we allowed to use bases or accords?

Thanks,

Habibi
    You are welcome to use the materials that accomplish your purpose, and help you learn. This isn't a perfume to publish, unless you feel it is so. This exercise is a chance to make something, and receive feedback in a friendly competitive environment.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Tonight at midnight, ( I’ll do the time from wherever you are) is that he sign-up deadline!

I would like to join, thank you

ok count me in, we'll see where I get
    'Today I'm a star. What will I be tomorrow? A black hole?'
    Woody Allen

The idea of participating in this game sorta terrifies me. Which is a pretty clear sign that I need to it. Count me in, please and thanks!

So I am going to list rules , entrants, and method for entry:
    First reiterating Paul’s post, because of his sensitivity to certain acs, also he choose the topic rules!

Explanations and Rules:

A fragrance for / about a Summer night near the coastline / beach. (your choice of locale, flora, and experience)

1. Gender is not mentioned, so submissions can be made as you feel inspired to direct your fragrance.
    2. Location is up to you. Freshwater or oceanic.
    3. Application is up to you: fine fragrance or atmospheric scenting.
    4. Emotional content is your choice, experience and flora at the location is up to you.

This is a story you need to tell in a scent. The story is up to you to choose.

The theme is a fragrance for / about a Summer's night near the coastline / beach.

Each Entry will need an Artist's statement about their submission.
    Statement can be brief, or as long as one page.
    Fragrance should be named. Since this is story telling, the name tells a part of the story, and is what would first attract a buyer. (other than packaging)
    Fragrances will certainly be judged on strip, possibly also skin if appropriate.

This following is NOT meant to limit your choices...
    If a scent has a load of jasmine materials other than Hedione, I may have to decline judging that perfume, as strong Jasmine/Hyacinth scents tend to give me headaches.
    (I can't have any of these live flowers near me where I live or work...)
    I *can* judge the perfumes, for 5 minutes at a time, then they must go outside, until the next judging point in time. (In other words, I just can't let the odor reach a blood saturation level that produces a headache...) - - - - Just informing you of my own limitations ahead of time, and these I cannot wear on skin.

And in complete transparency, this theme is in fact a project I've been working on myself for more than the past year, so, Please do not feel that if/when I release a perfume like this, that I have stolen from your submission. Born in Los Angeles, I've lived near the ocean here all of my life, until we bought our first home and moved inland a few years ago, so these scent memories have been ingrained for 50+ years. For me, summer nights in Corona del Mar, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach, as a student/college/adult have many wonderful memories. I could always smell the ocean where we lived, from the age of 9 - 45; and my Aunt and Uncle lived in Hawaii, which we visited many times as a boy.

Ok just to make it plain: doesn’t matter what you use as long as :
    It is not toxic or akin to toxic
    You tell the judges if you are use a known sensitizer ( eg jasmin for Paul )

Your entry is a story! So it will need that story first mailed with your perfume to the judges, and then when judging is closer, post it here.
    You will have to name the perfume, so that it is part of the story.
    For Entrants who are not native English speakers/writers , please state so that the judges can take that into consideration.

Please do not post the formula until judging is done for all the judges.

When you are ready to mail in your entries you can contact me, I will send you the addresses.

Please state if oil perfume, alcohol perfume, etc . Please state the concentration: edt,edp, or if restrictions are going to hinder, full strength. Full strength is not ideal because the judges can’t know your intentions...You can send a sample from 1.5-5ml, restrictions can make things more complicated. As long as there is enough to apply & reapply to blotter and skin.

Contestants:

1.Bkkorn.
    2. Devil’s son in law
    3. Kasper Kafel
    4. Subumbra
    5. Filousoph
    6. Geico
    7. Benjwi02
    8. Xii
    9. Pavomi
    10. Adame
    11. Bluescent
    12. Ourmess
    13. Andreasmg13
    15 Denmia
    16. Tim Cooper
    17. Habibigotit
    18. Leranthenon
    19. Chyprefresh
    20. Jolieo
    21. Godmu
    22. Quodo
    23. mudar2003
    24. Rustin Timbersilk
    25. JHL
    26. Elizadys
    27. bsouthers

I am I missing anyone?
    I am I missing any info?
    Are there any questions?

Post here for questions at any time!

Have fun!
    Last edited by Jolieo; 28th May 2020 at 04:56 AM.

I'm impressed by the turnout. I might not read the statements until after I've worn the perfumes and listed my approximate order of preference. I find it hard to imagine the statements having relevance, although I imagine they'll be fascinating.