Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is Bleu de Chanel Parfum a Dud?

It doesn't seem to get as much attention as the EDP or EDT. I actually enjoy the entire line and it's my signature scent. I like the Parfum but not nearly as much as the EDP.

What's the consensus here? Was it a dud? Failed launch?

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is Bleu de Chanel Parfum a Dud?

Maybe it's the price. At $150, it enters niche territory, and since Chanel goes ham against discounters, most hobby-level fragheads know if they're playing the clout game, they can get discounted Parfums de Marly or MFK for the same price.

That pretty much weeds out everyone but the guys interested in the fragrance because they like the way it smells for themselves, because the clout-chaser compliment-obsessed guys (aka "FragBros') will just grab the far more-hyped EdT.

Then you have to drill down even further to the guys willing to pay $150 retail for a designer. By that point, you limit yourself to the few fumies here like yourself that love it, and the general populace guys who already would pay retail for Tom Ford, et al.

Especially during the pandemic with 20%+ unemployment rate and rising in the US alone, you're gonna see a lot more of these higher-priced designers flounder sales-wise, especially if they can't be easily had at discounters like most other names like Versace, Paco Rabanne, etc.

Personally, I think it's great, but I already own the EdT so I'd only buy this if something else on my want list at that price point didn't get me first. Chanel has never made an extrait de parfum for men, so this is a dry run. If it fails, you probably won't see any others.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Of the BDC line, it is my favorite one. Much better than the EDP, and slightly better than the EDT, IMO. Price probably is an issue.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

It is ultimately a good version of Bleu de Chanel. I think Grant mentioned he likes it. I find the base impressively good. Something about the opening annoys me. I've worn this twice.

On the flip side, I love the opening of the edt, but find it gets too boring. I have a bottle of this, and I've worn about 25 ml (50-ish wearings).

I liked the edp the first time I wore it, quite a bit. Every time after that, though. maybe three times since, I've thought it was a synthetic nightmare.

Overall, I have the impression that the Parfum is doing fine.

Love all of them so much I got rid of them all. I simply can’t smell them after application. I do love how they all smell.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Smellin.Good View Post
    It doesn't seem to get as much attention as the EDP or EDT. I actually enjoy the entire line and it's my signature scent. I like the Parfum but not nearly as much as the EDP.

By no means a dud, unlike sauvage parfum.

Probably the price, for the average BDC user the former two are a better value.
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Love all of them so much I got rid of them all. I simply can’t smell them after application. I do love how they all smell.
    That's a shame. I get all day performance out of them all!

That's a shame. I get all day performance out of them all!

I envy you. Enjoy!
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

Not for me. I own and love them all, and the Parfum is now my favourite of the 3.
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Essenza de Zegna, Zegna Essenze Amber Gold, Armani Privé Sable Or, Armani Privé Vétiver Babylone, Mancera Cedrat Bois, Acqua di Giò Profumo, Amouage Dia Man, L'Artisan Explosions d’Emotions: Amour Nocturne, Zegna Essenze Italian Bergamot/Acqua di Bergamotto
    Currently wearing: Leather Blend by Davidoff

Dependent

I have them all, but very much prefer the edt.
    The parfum vanishes on me, but it was a gift so I can't complain.

I think the majority opinion (here anyhow) is that the Parfum is the best of the three - and I would agree with that.
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Not to me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The best of the 3, IMO. As for the price tag...

A dud? Bleu de Chanel is perhaps one of my recent fave lines released but the parfum version is my absolute fave of the bunch - I've owned the EDT, the EDP but prefer the parfum. The price is pretty much the norm and I'm fortunate enough to get amazing longevity from it too.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I think the majority opinion (here anyhow) is that the Parfum is the best of the three
    See? Not a dud whatsoever. On the contrary, the pinnacle of the BdC line for most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Of the BDC line, it is my favorite one. Much better than the EDP, and slightly better than the EDT, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovescully View Post
    I own and love them all, and the Parfum is now my favourite of the 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    The best of the 3, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    the parfum version is my absolute fave of the bunch - I've owned the EDT, the EDP but prefer the parfum.
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

Haven't tried it yet, I guess. But between the EDP and the EDT I like the EDT way more.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama
    Currently wearing: Amber Oud by By Kilian

Not a dud maybe, but it's close to the other two, if you don't compare them directly side by side, you might not notice much of a difference(I own the EDT and tried Parfum in a Sephora, I was expecting a much richer and thicker version, but it seemed almost identical)

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Not a dud, but simply a bit too expensive. I think it is more well-made than the EdT or the EdP, much smoother than the EdT and richer than the EdP. There is a bit of sweetness, very faint but there. IMO this renders it more suited to cooler weather. I bought it when it came out, because I liked it on paper and also on my skin, but I can't smell it a couple of hours after application - same predicament as Chuck.

The price is definitely a point as Zealot mentions, it is sort of in a no man's land. If I could go back in time, I would perhaps not buy it. Note that Chanel is more expensive in the US for whatever reason, it is a bit cheaper here in Canada. Still, the Parfum is expensive, and one can get better stuff if one shops around.

I can't vouch for commercial success or lack of it, but personally I would every time reach for Egoiste over Bleu Parfum - not only is it a delight to wear in slightly cool weather, but also I can actually smell it on myself, and the stuff is completely on a different level.

Still, Bleu Parfum is one of the nicer mainstream releases in recent years.
    Currently wearing: Vanille Tonka by Nicolaï

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Anyways, I'd see how time judges it, and how I judge it with time. I am not sure about the former. As for the latter, I don't think whatever fondness I have would grow any more. Musc Ravageur, Moschino pour Homme, Cuir Mauresque, Furyo, Egoiste, Dior Homme Intense, R de Capucci, Christopher Street, Habit Rouge, Le 3me Homme de Caron, New York Intense, Rive Gauche pour Homme, Kouros, Dzongkha - any of these would occupy the memory space ahead of Bleu.

I also find that Bleu Parfum straddles a fine line - between the trendy mainstream contemporary perfumes and neo-classical French perfumes that value abstraction and complexity. The issue is that at the end of the day it is a victim of its circumstances. I believe this probably was the best chance of creating something truly unique and great - as a fusion of those two contrasting styles, but commercial considerations limited its ambitions. The result is a good perfume, but not a great perfume.

Is it the next Patou Pour Homme? The answer is a resounding no. New York Intense is. And costs $20 more than Bleu de Chanel Parfum.
    Currently wearing: Vanille Tonka by Nicolaï

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    the general populace guys who already would pay retail for Tom Ford, et al.
    That was me until I learned about discounters from Basenotes!

Basenotes Junkie

It smells good, I have an issue with the price for what it is. Given that you can’t ever get Chanel on discount I’m looking @ $160-165 for a 100ml and for that price you can get used/grey market creeds, MFKs, Tom Fords, and many more for that price. If someone were to gift me a bottle, I’d wear it happily but it’s not even on a purchase list for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigserver1 View Post
    It smells good, I have an issue with the price for what it is. Given that you can’t ever get Chanel on discount I’m looking @ $160-165 for a 100ml and for that price you can get used/grey market creeds, MFKs, Tom Fords, and many more for that price. If someone were to gift me a bottle, I’d wear it happily but it’s not even on a purchase list for me.
    Pretty much feel the same.

Nah, not a dud. I'm undecided between the EDT and the Parfum, I like 'em both; don't need the EDP. And for sure the price point slowed a lot of folks down who may have already been concerned about redundancy.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Depends on your taste, I personally prefer the grapefruit in the originals.

Freed from BN Institution

My impressions are indifferent between this , the EDP, and the EDT. I'm in the minority group who dislikes this fragrance.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Same for me....owned the edp once but it had hardly any projection and longevity was also pretty bad unfortunately (wasn't a fake!) hence I sold it.
    The edt is ok but not FBW to me, especially as I already own the somewhat similar and stronger Missoni.
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

wearing dad's aftershave

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized
    The edt is ok but not FBW to me, especially as I already own the somewhat similar and stronger Missoni.¹
    I liked the parfum a lot the handful of times I wore it (drive-by spritzes) and might prefer it over the edp if I'd had both available when I bought the big 150 EdP.

And I bought the EdP because that's the one I'd tested extensively.

Knowing what I know now I would buy the EdT.and call it a day.

I do *love* the smell. It's close to catnip for me, especially at first application. I would love some Bleu De Laundry Detergent.

/Acey

¹—hmm. I'll have to look into this Missoni.
    Last edited by AceyMan; 20th May 2020 at 09:25 AM. Reason: footnote

I have had the same thought about how Bleu de Chanel would make a great laundry detergent scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    The edt is ok but not FBW to me, especially as I already own the somewhat similar and stronger Missoni.
    The Missoni is a good option. It's not a clone, but a variation on the theme, with a better, more well-rounded base than BDC EDT. In fact, the Missoni is closer in overall quality to Bleu Parfum. Can be had fairly affordably, too.

That said, this will never be my favorite style. I found BDC very boring when it was released--even before I was seriously engaged in the perfume world--and I find it very boring now.

For my post-2010 freshie needs, I have Mercedes-Benz Silver, which has two virtues: no rough edges and a pitch-perfect, dominant rhubarb note with an appealingly bitter edge.

All concentrations (and I use that term loosely here) have something going for them which the others don’t.

The EdT is more citrus centric, the EdP has incense in the mix and the vetiver amped up and the Parfum focuses on sandalwood and cedar so the sequels are more like true flankers than different concentrations.

Even if you aren’t minimalist minded I think if you don’t own one, try them all but only buy one. Owning all three is a bit redundant unless you are a Bleu fiend.