Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 93
  1. #1
    Moderator
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,158

    Default Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    What would you recommend for someone looking for vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    315,978

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Estee Lauder Azuree. Not for me, but many others seem to enjoy it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,158

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Estee Lauder Azuree. Not for me, but many others seem to enjoy it.
    Vintage pricing in the second-hand market can get up to $200, but in a couple minutes of bargain hunting, I found a 1.8/2.0 ml lug nut edp for $130, shipped!

    Nice shout, Hednic!

  4. #4
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    11,988

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    These are three of the strongest without getting out of control like almost unwearable MCM Success, and are all far from bank breakers.

    Lucifer
    Captain Molyneux
    Bijan Man
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

    5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

    6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie


  5. #5
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    9,898
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Guess you'd need to define "budget" first, because depending on your socioeconomic status, that could have one zero, or three on the end.

    For me? Vintage Avons with oakmoss bases. Maybe not "bombs" by sillage standards, but some of them reduce to nothing but oakmoss after 4 hours.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: cK be by Calvin Klein

  6. #6
    Basenotes Institution badarun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13,867

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Farina Lord is cheap (cheaper than the eBay listing) and from my memory has a strong oakmoss presence. I've not worn it in a while but it had the typical 80's vibe but might have been produced earlier...

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223486465973

    Seconding Molyneux Captain as another strong oakmoss fragrance that can come cheap if patiently searched.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,158

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    These are three of the strongest without getting out of control like almost unwearable MCM Success, and are all far from bank breakers.

    Lucifer
    Captain Molyneux
    Bijan Man
    I have heard very good things about Bijan Men. I'm seeing tasty listings. Things as low as $10. One or more clearly older bottles (showing short ingredients list), not that I know if it matters, for $40 shipped.

    Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Seconding Molyneux Captain as another strong oakmoss fragrance that can come cheap if patiently searched.
    50 ml, new in box, old, funky, roller-pin vintage bottle design, $105 shipped. A month of cable or a vintage oak moss bomb?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Vintage Avons with oakmoss bases. Maybe not "bombs" by sillage standards, but some of them reduce to nothing but oakmoss after 4 hours.
    I'm seeing Avon Oland Cologne for $20 shipped, 6-ounce splashes, even with a Packard Roadster bottle. Is that the right idea?

  8. #8
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    11,988

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post


    I'm seeing Avon Oland Cologne for $20 shipped, 6-ounce splashes, even with a Packard Roadster bottle. Is that the right idea?
    I just bought a 6 ounce bottle for about $1 an oz. Dirt cheap, but far from any oak moss bomb. I like the stuff though.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

    5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

    6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie


  9. #9
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    9,898
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I just bought a 6 ounce bottle for about $1 an oz. Dirt cheap, but far from any oak moss bomb. I like the stuff though.
    That one isn't heavy on oakmoss, but it does have a big slug of orris. Tai Winds is a tonka/oakmoss monster, and Blend 7 reduces to oakmoss chypre in the base, as does Clint. Feminines are much higher concentration for Avons than any masculine, so if you're looking for "fumigation", look into stuff like Emprise, Unspoken, Candid, etc. You'll just also have animalics or ambers in some examples, depending on the variety of chypre.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: cK be by Calvin Klein

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    22,316

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    I have occasionally seen Miss Balmain for reasonable prices. Very nice deep chypre.

    And Coty Chypre itself, in the 80s reissue, is worth keeping an eye on. Occasionally, the price is reasonable. Sometimes it's ruined though.

    cacio

  11. #11

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Halston Z-14

  12. #12
    Heaven's made of oakmoss
    Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,523

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    I'll be the first to mention Irisch Moos EdC, EdT and A/S. It's not just the title that contains (oak)moss, I can assure you that.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

  13. #13
    Missing Oakmoss

    Bonnette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,863

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Vintage Cabochard is a lovely chypre, and minis are abundant on eBay at very reasonable prices.

  14. #14
    Dependent Slayerized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    9,281

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    I'll be the first to mention Irisch Moos EdC, EdT and A/S. It's not just the title that contains (oak)moss, I can assure you that.
    Wonderful green-fresh stuf!
    Own 2x 100ml aftershave and the 50ml edt!

    Gillette Cool Wave is another good one that especially had moss in vintage formulation but current is still excellent though fresher and with less mint.
    My Top '11':

    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

  15. #15
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    50,234

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    I'll add Moschino Pour Homme if one doesn't mind a blend of leather to the oak moss.

    Then there's Ho Hang Club but it also has strong leather and floral notes in addition to the oak moss.

    Finally there's Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme. It also has strong leather and florals to accompanies the oak moss.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  16. #16
    Dependent Slayerized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    9,281

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Sung Homme is another one, especially the first formulation with the purple juice!
    My Top '11':

    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

  17. #17
    Heaven's made of oakmoss
    Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,523

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Wonderful green-fresh stuf!
    Own 2x 100ml aftershave and the 50ml edt!

    Gillette Cool Wave is another good one that especially had moss in vintage formulation but current is still excellent though fresher and with less mint.
    Yeah, IM is wonderful stuff! Especially the older ones, which I personally consider a treat. The newer ones in the short stubby bottles are great too, just make sure they're still made by Mülhens/4711. The newest/current ones by Maurer&Wirtz are very good too and smells awesome, but they just lack that extra mossy 'oomph' of the former.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

  18. #18
    Moderator
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,158

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Vintage Cabochard is a lovely chypre, and minis are abundant on eBay at very reasonable prices.
    Have you tried different concentrations of Cabochard, Bonnette? I do have some here to try, and it's included in an upcoming sample swap and synchronization. My sample is a vintage edt.

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I have occasionally seen Miss Balmain for reasonable prices. Very nice deep chypre.

    And Coty Chypre itself, in the 80s reissue, is worth keeping an eye on. Occasionally, the price is reasonable. Sometimes it's ruined though.

    cacio
    Grayspoole private messaged me a year or two ago with a shopping tip on a little Miss Balmain parfum, and that is a good one, especially in the early stages. I hadn't thought of it as featuring oak moss, but it smells impressive, so that does add up.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Maybe also several Bogarts, including signature and One Man Show, plus also a few Marbert scents, including Marbert Man, as well as Chevignon Brand for Men, Lomani, Caractere by Daniel Hechter, Preferred Stock, Krizia Uomo, Salvador Dali pour Homme and Tuscany Uomo Forte.

    Not all of these may be bargain priced as vintages, but still the possibility to find good value for money/return on investment as vintage versions of these is good. Even more so due their current versions including decent amounts of oakmoss, while the vintages might offer enough oakmoss to counterbalance even higher prices.
    Currently wearing: 1881 Amber by Cerruti

  20. #20
    Moderator
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,158

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Maybe also several Bogarts, including signature and One Man Show, plus also a few Marbert scents, including Marbert Man, as well as Chevignon Brand for Men, Lomani, Caractere by Daniel Hechter, Preferred Stock, Krizia Uomo, Salvador Dali pour Homme and Tuscany Uomo Forte.

    Not all of these may be bargain priced as vintages, but still the possibility to find good value for money/return on investment as vintage versions of these is good. Even more so due their current versions including decent amounts of oakmoss, while the vintages might offer enough oakmoss to counterbalance even higher prices.
    Sweet tips, Ken! That will at least keep someone busy for a while.

    Marbert Man has gone viral based on a quick eBay search. Are you giving a "buy recommendation" for 10 ml of vintage after shave at $10? We're talking pristine minis, maybe even with box! How about $25 - that's looking more likely? Say for a typical, middle-class Basenoter/obsessive from Iowa? Or nearly anywhere, really.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Sweet tips, Ken! That will at least keep someone busy for a while.

    Marbert Man has gone viral based on a quick eBay search. Are you giving a "buy recommendation" for 10 ml of vintage after shave at $10? We're talking pristine minis, maybe even with box! How about $25 - that's looking more likely? Say for a typical, middle-class Basenoter/obsessive from Iowa? Or nearly anywhere, really.

    From a personal viewpoint alone, the price range between 10-25 $ for vintage aftershave is, while not the best/cheapest bargain, still outweighed quite advantageously by its performance and oakmoss notes even in aftershave concentration
    Currently wearing: 1881 Amber by Cerruti

  22. #22
    Moderator
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,158

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    From a personal viewpoint alone, the price range between 10-25 $ for vintage aftershave is, while not the best/cheapest bargain, still outweighed quite advantageously by its performance and oakmoss notes even in aftershave concentration
    Right on. It does look like nice, dark juice, you have been consistently recommending the Marbert stuff, and 10 ml is plenty to have a tasting.

  23. #23
    Missing Oakmoss

    Bonnette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,863

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Have you tried different concentrations of Cabochard, Bonnette? I do have some here to try, and it's included in an upcoming sample swap and synchronization. My sample is a vintage edt.
    I've only smelled the parfum.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Vintage Cabochard is a lovely chypre, and minis are abundant on eBay at very reasonable prices.
    I'll second that

  25. #25

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Sung Homme is another one, especially the first formulation with the purple juice!
    best interpretation of Irish Spring, and a bargain to boot

  26. #26
    Moderator
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,158

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I've only smelled the parfum.
    Going straight for the gusto, I see.

  27. #27
    Heaven's made of oakmoss
    Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,523

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Oakmoss is godly nectar, imho. To me, an oakmoss-bomb means a clearly detectable and/or pronounced oakmoss from the get-go to the finish line clearly used as a note in itself and not just as a hint or a feeling towards the end, and the only fragrance to tick that box, that I have encountered, Is sadly also one of the most expensive ones on the market - and that's vintage Patou Pour Homme.
    A crisp, clear and pronounced note of oakmoss absolute, jumps out 2-3 seconds after application and throughout.
    I've tried to find an affordable fragrance that uses oakmoss in that way, as a clear detectable note in the mix, but haven't found it yet. I haven't tried a lot of the fragrances mentioned in this thread, so maybe I should. They are awesome suggestions, btw!
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

  28. #28
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    11,988

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I have heard very good things about Bijan Men. I'm seeing tasty listings. Things as low as $10. One or more clearly older bottles (showing short ingredients list), not that I know if it matters, for $40 shipped.



    50 ml, new in box, old, funky, roller-pin vintage bottle design, $105 shipped. A month of cable or a vintage oak moss bomb?
    With respect to Bijan Man, I can’t be sure the $10 option is “no good,” but definitely the original formula bottle I bought years ago went for around $50, so I would have expected that closer to market value (which the $40 with the shorter ingredient list seems to fit better). My guess is the $40 one is the one you want.

    As for vintage Captain Molyneux, I used to find good value in the 30 ml spray bottles. Just avoid the current stuff in the modern styled bottle like the plague as it smells horrible, and unrecognizable from the original oakmoss-laden formula... I find it more like “Seaman Recruit” than “Captain.”
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

    5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

    6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie


  29. #29
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    22,882

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    This one is great -


  30. #30
    Moderator
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,158

    Default Re: Vintage oak moss bombs on a budget?

    Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    This one is great -
    What do you think is a good price for this beauty in the 2020 perfume / vintage Davidoff market? An unused / 95% full 50-ml vintage spray without box?




Similar Threads

  1. Bath Bombs?
    By jsf252 in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 3rd December 2012, 09:57 AM
  2. Don't Try This At Home: Axe Bombs!
    By MFfan310 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16th September 2007, 10:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000