Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: When you wear a fragrance, do you want to smell good......

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • For yourself

47 54.02%
  • For the others who are nearby

1 1.15%
  • Both for me and others nearby

39 44.83%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Poll: When you wear a perfume, is it just for yourself or do you want others to know?

Folks,

From a personal perspective, when I wear a fragrance, I like to be noticed. I want people to think that I "smell good". But it seems that is not the case with other people. Even some oversprayers whom I know, have declared that they overspray "for themselves", i.e., they are not interested in the fact that other people will smell their perfumes.

So I ask: When you wear a fragrance, do you want to smell good A) For yourself; B) For the others who are nearby or C: For both myself and the others who are nearby?

Please respond!

56330396smell.jpg
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Default Re: Poll: When you wear a perfume, is it just for yourself or do you want others to know?

All that really matters to me is whether or not I can smell it. I don't care much about sillage or projection as long as it's enough for me to get whiffs of it throughout the day.

If others can smell what I'm wearing, it doesn't matter to me what they think as long as they don't think it's offensive and literally repulsive.

Dependent

Default Re: Poll: When you wear a perfume, is it just for yourself or do you want others to know?

For myself, but if others happen to like what I am wearing then it's a bonus.

Both. I'm extremely empathetic. Sometimes.

If they don't notice, that's equally fine. If they notice, I want them to love it. Like melt in the knees or ask for a spritz. The dream is that someone in a thick English accent screams out from across a pub, "I'll have a bit of that laddie!" And he's talking about my perfume.

But only like two tables down. I would never overspray.

I’d whip out the decant before he could say another word, it’d get passed around ‘til it’s empty, and I would drink for free all night.
    Last edited by Bavard; 21st May 2020 at 01:48 AM.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    All that really matters to me is whether or not I can smell it. I don't care much about sillage or projection as long as it's enough for me to get whiffs of it throughout the day.

If others can smell what I'm wearing, it doesn't matter to me what they think as long as they don't think it's offensive and literally repulsive.
    This is my take on the question, too.

I voted: For Myself.

If I need to be especially considerate of others (rarely; think job interview or funeral), I'll reduce the sprays, choose something unchallenging, or not wear a fragrance. 99% of the time, my fragrance is purely for my own enjoyment. As dealt7faux said, any positive reactions are just a bonus.

Dependent

I like compliments, so I guess both.
    Currently wearing: Charismatic by Pecksniff's

Both, enjoying fragrances mainly as personal choices, but appreciating even more if these fragrances get a good feedback (even if this particular feedback was not actively sought for)

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post

Exactly this for me too

Perfume is for myself, and maybe for people who get close enough to hug me.
    I'm very self conscious about people being able to smell me from afar, that would be rude.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    Folks,

From a personal perspective, when I wear a fragrance, I like to be noticed. I want people to think that I "smell good". But it seems that is not the case with other people. Even some oversprayers whom I know, have declared that they overspray "for themselves", i.e., they are not interested in the fact that other people will smell their perfumes.

So I ask: When you wear a fragrance, do you want to smell good A) For yourself; B) For the others who are nearby or C: For both myself and the others who are nearby?

Please respond!

56330396smell.jpg
    Wow, 78 threads created as of February: you must be the record holder, lol!

To answer your question:
    For myself mainly but I do not mind others liking what I wear; but if they don't I do not feel sorry!
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

Although first and foremost, it's for me. But let's face it, others will be able to smell you as well unless you're a hermit. I'm sure many here are but if you're socializing or work with other people, I am aware that whatever I plan to wear can impact other noses. So I try to be respectful of that in both what I wear and how much.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Wow, 78 threads created as of February: you must be the record holder, lol!

I am bipolar, you know.......Bipolar guys, depending on which mood they are in, tend to be over prolific, obsessive, perhaps even creative. Maybe that is the reason for the 78 threads! Call my doctor ASAP!

Why even care or rate sillage if it's just for yourself? True question

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ukwa View Post
    I like this question. A lot.

For myself. Nearing 12 weeks of lockdown/isolation in my life has only served to reinforce this.

In my little world I register the sillage but only insofar as it occasionally reaches my nose. Sillage, for me, correlates with a personal broadcast of the scent. Ideally it graphically registers and dips. This keeps things in consonance, a symmetrical sense of enjoyment. It helps avoid anosmia. After all, the movement of small waves spilling back and forth along the seashore is amongst the most satisfying images that humans attempt to replicate for both the visual and hearing senses; it’s also entirely satisfying for the sense of smell.

As for others? - So long as the broadcast is light and is a quiet accompaniment to my style of dress and mood that day.

Compliments? - I realize this actually wasn’t asked but otherwise, nah, not really. If spaced out and kept to a minimum (i.e. not every week, thank you) then I hope it remains a rare occurrence so as to keep it interesting. I’m reasonably minimalist in presentation as it is so this would disrupt my constitution. Besides, the subject of compliments at BN has shown itself to be mighty political.

Just for myself.

I don't like stereotypically polite compliments. They bore me.
    Maybe, if someone really likes it, we can talk about it.

It's their problem if they don't like my perfume, if it's too strong for them, too harsh, too sweet, too animalic.
    I don't care about other people's whining.

If someone is very allergic, it's better to avoid crowded places. Or not. It's their problem.

-----

Generally speaking, perfume talks makes me sick. They're all so precious, they (think they) have expensive and rare perfumes, it's their choice, so it's definitely a very good one, because they're so special and...
    OMG! They make me yawn.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

So I ask: When you wear a fragrance, do you want to smell good A) For yourself
    For myself.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I wear it purely for myself. I know that sounds selfish and it kind of is.
    Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica

I don't....
    Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica

100% wear for myself
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Basenotes Institution

Most of the time, I wear perfume for my own enjoyment. During this pandemic lockdown, I wore perfume day and night and tested some weird scents and loved it. However, honestly, there are few occasions when I wear to impress.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Mostly for myself, but sometimes I want others to catch a subtle whiff, especially if they are in close proximity.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Depends on the fragrance. Some fragrances I'd wear just for myself with the hope that it doesn't gross out anyone. Then there are ones that are geared more toward others (think date night scents). High level, it fluctuates between 100% me to 50/50 I suppose. As someone above said, I need those whiffs throughout the day.

It's always for myself, I don't care what others think or say.

Basenotes Plus

Both I enjoy leaving a impression on others and enjoy wearing my favorites as well.

Depends entirely on the occasion.

For myself

I’m not old: I’m vintage.

Sillage often smells different than does the fragrance up-close. So, even just for me, sillage enhances the experience.

As for the poll, I mostly wear fragrances for me, but also to share the experience with my wife. So, sillage matters for that, as well.

Even so, I don't rate sillage for my own purposes (if at all), but because the information might help someone reading through the directory who's more concerned about performance metrics than I am.
    Currently wearing: White Lilac by Mary Chess

Banned

From a personal perspective, when I wear a fragrance, I like to be noticed. I want people to think that I "smell good". [/ATTACH]
    Sorry to disappoint you, but most of the people around only care about other's fragrances when they don't like it (complaint), and a fragrance will have no effect in charming others unless yourself have a charming personality. At the opposite, the fact to wear heavy fragrances can also be perceived by others as the wearer being in need of attention, and thus having the opposite effect.

You understood it, I wear fragrances for myself, but of course I will not wear something I know the people close to me may dislike.