Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is the least amount of time it's taken you to go through 100 ml?

Now that I've been on BN and collecting fragrances for about a year and a half, I've noticed that some bottles go much faster than others. There are some bottles I have that date back almost two years, and are still more than half full, while there are others that I've had to replace several times during the same intervening period.

Potency is an issue, as you will obviously go through a bottle faster if you're overspraying. And depending on budget, cost can also be a concern. You don't have to worry too much about overspraying grey market cheapies, but that discontinued vintage unicorn? You might think twice before spraying with abandon. I suppose it also may depend on the size of your collection/daily rotation as well, but even then it's easy to fall back onto perennial favorites.

So what's the fastest you've gone through a 100 ml sprayer bottle? I'm excluding splash bottles here because they are easier to burn through on accident. Why did you go through it so quickly? Curious to see what the record will be...
    Last edited by jkonick; 20th May 2020 at 08:34 PM.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: What is the least amount of time it's taken you to go through 100 ml?

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    So what's the fastest you've gone through a 100 ml sprayer bottle?
    2-3 months - decades ago when I was much younger.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: What is the least amount of time it's taken you to go through 100 ml?

So far never less than a year, usually a few years, even with over-spraying and nearly daily or at least weekly use.

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    There are some bottles I have that date back almost two years, and are still more than half full, while there are others that I've had to replace several times during the same intervening period.
    Several 100ml bottles in 2 years?

Good grief. Just how much are you spraying?
    Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

like, 2-3 years minimum

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    2-3 months - decades ago when I was much younger.
    Same, when i had only one or two rotation frag in my early 20. (booster and eau des baux must be the bottles that I bought the most)
    Now this will take years.

In my late teens / mid twenties I could go through 100ml bottle in about 6 months but even then it was rare. Bearing in mind that I may have only owned 3 or 4 scents compared to all the ones now. Me actually finishing a 100ml bottle nowadays is also rare.
    Currently wearing: Explorer by Montblanc

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

Probably would be INVASION BARBARE, although it's a 75ml bottle I think. About two years.
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

Around 2 months, I oversprayed like crazy a bottle of Azzaro PH that was at my office. I wore the perfume during my classes.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

7 years, and that bottle would be my first bottle of Azzaro pour Homme (1978). I've always had a larger collection (smallest size 35 bottles), so it gets hard to really double down on a bottle unless I love it.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Several 100ml bottles in 2 years?

Good grief. Just how much are you spraying?
    To be specific, 1 bottle of Terre d'Hermes and two bottles of Encre Noire. In the case of the TdH and the first EN bottle, at the time I only owned about 4-5 fragrances, so it just came down to a very small rotation and those two got the most use. In the case of the second EN bottle, I just wear it a lot and overspray since it's so cheap, and I also use it for layering on a pretty regular basis. Those are probably my two most-worn fragrances though. The other 3-4 bottles I had during that same time period are all at least half full still though.

Now that I have around 40 bottles though, I'm shocked at the slow progress I'm making through them compared to two years ago. Stuff I think I'm wearing really often still barely has a dent in it. I can't imagine I'll ever need to replace most of my Montales, for example But I'm on bottle three of EN right now, and I bet I'll be buying another in about 6-8 months.

Interestingly though, when I was really young (i.e. early 20s) it took me way longer even though I only ever had one bottle, because I just didn't wear it regularly. For example, I think I sat on a bottle of The One for about 3-4 years during and after college, and eventually gave it away. But now that I've caught the bug...

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Since joining basenotes in 2012: Three years. I've been wearing Castile an average of once every three days since 2017 and I finished a bottle this year. I regret not buying more backups! I used to be able to get Castile for as little as $32 on ebay if I was patient. Ugh... those days are gone. I'd pay full price for it if I had to though. I love the stuff.

Before joining basenotes: Two years - but back then, it was a 4.2 oz bottle of Curve & I only owned 1 bottle at a time.

Generally speaking, I'm a 4 spray guy - less with heavy scents (only 2 with Interlude Man or sometimes only 1!!!), and as many as 5 with something as light as Chanel Eau De Cologne.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    M7 Oud Absolu
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Tom Ford Noir Eau De Toilette
    Green Irish Tweed
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

When I had signature scents, it was probably taking 9 to 15 months. I remember shopping for my next signature scent in about a year's time.
    Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
    All kill their inspiration and sing about the grief

Basenotes Plus

Few years with most, most of my stuff is strong so not many sprays are needed. A few others maybe a year or under depending how often I wear them.
    Closest to a signature fragrance - Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme

Basenotes Plus

Never have I achieved this ‘feat’ as my default purchase size is 50 ml or smaller. My 120 ml Royal Oud will probably turn into a linen spray to get used up lol.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

100 ml of different fragrances - maybe 100 days.

An individual, 100-ml bottle where I wore every drop - around 15 years.

I started collecting like 3/4 years ago when my parents bought me dior sauvage and versace eros for my birthday. I used up about 75% of those bottles but started buying a ton more frags. Now I have like 60-70 bottles and I dont think ive gone through a 100ml. I try to conserve the bottles I'm low on. I don't think I have ever finished a bottle, but im getting down to 10-20% on a few.
    ''Just because I have nice things doesn't mean I'm rich; It means I spend my money poorly''
    I want to look good and smell great
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I have yet to finish a 100 ml bottle of anything.

Knocked out a few 50 ml bottles within 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I have yet to finish a 100 ml bottle of anything.
    Going back how far? What's your oldest bottle? I suppose that would be another interesting question: which bottle have you had the longest, but used less relative to other, newer bottles in your collection? I would be especially curious if anyone has had a bottle since the 70s or 80s (or before) and has noticed any difference over the years, i.e. in the top notes, etc.

Anyway interesting answers - clearly the end result of this thread is that I've just outed myself as having the itchiest sprayer-finger on Basenotes! Oh well, what can I say, I enjoy indulgence.

From the time I did signature scents: Grey Flannel ca three months

Fastest for me was probably about nine months.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Dependent

3 or 4 months, but it was an eau de cologne.

Not done it yet, and also the main reason I don't worry about back-up bottles of anything.
    Currently wearing: Tobacco by Franck Boclet

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Maybe 7-8 years for Acqua di Colonia by SMN. As it's a true old school EdC its short lived so I was applying 5-10 sprays at a time.
    Otherwise there's no way I'd finish that amount in a decade.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I bought a 100 ml bottle of Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme in August/September 2011, and it was gone by November 2012. Now, note that till April 2012 I only had that and Terre d'Hermes Parfum, whereas I bought quite a bit in May-October that year in 2012, and around November had about 25 bottles, including a 100 ml bottle of Azzaro pour Homme, which was gone by around June 2014.

Since then, the only bottle I've finished has been a 30 ml of New York Intense, and a 75 ml of Rive Gauche pour Homme. Now I can't see myself finishing anything, as I have too many.

In terms of 100 ml of different perfumes, I think I use up 100 ml in about every 40-50 days. About 60 days with heavier stuff, but around 40 or even 30 days with lighter stuff.
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

Honestly... a few days.

Within 90 days....but done so intentionally.

Never a 100ml and not even a 50ml since I increased my wardrobe to 10+. When I wasn't a fraghead I'd finished off a 50ml of Tuscan Leather and a 50ml of BdC. Most recently, I finished a 50ml of Aventus. This thread makes me reconsider the need for backups haha.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

I think it depends on how strong the aroma is. For example, in just 3-4 months I emptied a 100 ml bottle of Montblanc Explorer because it was too weak. The same size Dior Sauvage bottle lasted more than 3 years, although it was used almost daily. In addition to being much more powerful, the sprayer is better and more economical, it distributes the aroma much better.

Freed from BN Institution

I depleted a 100ml Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDT bottle inside of 8 months. At the time I was wearing almost everyday and liberally.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed