Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance suggestions per Olfactive families

Hello all,

I'm taking my journey into fragrances a bit more methodically and I'm trying to get more accustomed to olfactive families.
    But after classifying the latest niche I've tried I've noticed that I haven't explore much from a few families.

Could you maybe advise me some fragrances (man/unisex) for ---

Aromatique

What I've tried and like: Olfactive studio still life in Rio and tea for two (Is it aromatic? I would have thought oriental but fragrantica says aromatic spicy)
    What I'vre tried and disliked -> ELDO - Fils de dieu, Dyptique Volute and Cedrat boise by Mancera (Thought this last one would be citrus but again, fragrantica tells otherwise)

Chypre and Leather

Seems that I haven't tried any in the niche area! I've seen that Aventus is a Chypre (not tested yet)

Floral

I've liked ManRose by Etro
    Now... Are Dia Man by Amouage and Bal d'afrique by Byredo floral fragrances? They're classified Woody Floral. I didn't enjoy them that much (Dia man was ok)

Fougere:

I've only tried (and enjoyed a lot) Histoire de Parfums - 1725

I have left out oriental since I've tried a lot of them and still will, same for woody. I'm not a huge fan of citrus (with some exception for the warm summer days)

Have a great day!

Default Re: Fragrance suggestions per Olfactive families

Aromatic: Di Ser Mizu
    Chypre: Rogue Chypre-Siam
    Leather: Hiram Green Hyde
    Floral: Guerlain Derby (Carnation)
    Fougere: Amouage Bracken

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post

Aromatique
    Route D'Epices by Pierre Bourdin
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Aromatique
    Burning Barbershop - D.S. & Durga (doubles as a fougere!)

Chypre and Leather
    Cuirs - Carner Barcelona

Floral
    Dinudisit - January Scent Project
    MAII - Bogue
    Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli - Chatillon Lux (superbly underrated)

Fougere:
    Patchouli Intense or New York Intense - Nicolai (double as aromatics!)
    Fougère Bengale - Parfum d'Empire
    Currently wearing: Fjerne by Slumberhouse

First: I would stop relying on Fragrantica and other websites for descriptions and for classification of fragrances. They are often wrong. Eg. Aventus is definitely not a chypre. Listen to your nose. If you smell a citrus note, don't doubt yourself just because a citrus note is not listed anywhere. There are many fragrances where people debate notes. Like the famous strawberry note in Knize Ten (not trying to start a fight).

Second:

Aromatic:
    Most of these will also be fougeres. A good one is Le Troisiemme Homme.

Chypre:
    Mitsouko

Leather:
    There are MANY fabulous leather fragrances. The best ones are arguably Cuir de Russie, Bandit, Cabochard, Knize Ten.

Floral:
    This one is hard for man/unisex. A great one that is around 65% unisex is Apres L'Ondee. I'm pretty sure I spelled that wrong but.... Also, a lot of floral aldehydic fragrances can be considered unisex.

Fougere:
    Jicky, Kouros

Citrus:
    I know you didn't list this one, but I just wanted to mention Eau de Guerlain. This is probably the best citrus fragrance ever.

As I said earlier, don't rely to much on Fragrantica. If you actually want to learn more about the categories, it's better to trust you own nose on this.
    Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica
    Currently wearing: Knowing by Estée Lauder

Leather: Chambre Noire, Tuscan Leather, Clive Christian C, African Leather
    Fougere: Fougere Royale, Fougere D'Argent

Aromatic: as others were saying, the term is usually used to refer to herbs and some spices-which are usually part of the top of a fougere. Not sure your three dislike would be considered "aromatic" by most. Example: Lush Dirty.

Chypre: sadly not much after the demise of oakmoss. Mitsouko as a reference, perhaps.

Leather: Etat Libre d'Orange Rien (and many, many others). Aventus would be considered a light leather (but not a chypre)

Floral: Portrait of a lady, Amouage Gold man . I don't think Dia man is floral (to me, it's purely woody).

Fougere: 1725 is a great example. Invasion Barbare would be another, darker one. And Jicky/Mouchoir de monsieur is a classic (though I don't know its current status).

cacio

Don't waste your money on Aventus if you're looking for a chypre. It's not it's just anything can be called a chypre now since oakmoss is restricted and no one makes chypres anymore they're out of style.

I figured I shouldn't be too concerned about Fragrantica's classification. But I don't have many niche stores around me so I'll have to rely on samples ordered online and can't smell too many in stores unfortunately. Thanks to the suggestions guys

I think you should try Aventus if you want to it's popular for a reason, but absolutely not a chypre. Try Caron's Pour un Homme and Guerlain's Jicky if you get the chance.

Fougere:

I've only tried (and enjoyed a lot) Histoire de Parfums - 1725
    Caron pour Un Homme

Creed Bois du Portugal

Houbigant Fougère Royale

Some fragrances I can test in my towns store: rien by ELDO, Tuscan Leather, Portrait of a lady by FM and creed Bois d'argent The rest I'll need to order but I need to contain myself or else i'll purchase 20 samples/month!

For Floral I test douceur de siam by Dusita which was very nice, well crafted.
    And I also tried Fougere royal along Nobile 1942 Fougere which were also very nice.

Maybe some other suggestion in leather and aromatics (even though i understand that aromatic are very often associated with fougeres )?

Even if only partly overlapping with/covering your requirements, was always fixed with most of these and even more of these categories among niche fragrances if testing, retesting and wearing the 7 scents in the Parfums Capitaux series by Jovoy.

If available and not overpriced, their sampling set containing these fragrances provides a diverse and high quality rendition of what is to be expected from the better aspects of niche male and unisex variations on these themes.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff