Code of Conduct

Default Mellifluence Attars

I’ve seen this name thrown around in various threads here and there on base notes so I figured I’d make a thread for anyone who wishes to share their experience with this amazingly underrated house out of the UK.

My order just arrived and I purchased Brandewijn, Al Ghaliya III, and Hellicum. Abdullah was kind enough to send along samples of Plasencia and Demitasse.

Let me first start off by saying that these are extremely high quality attars yet are affordable and well blended. You’ll find heavy doses of Oud, musk, and ambergris in most of these along with house tinctures and absolutes.

So far Brandewijn and Plasencia are my favorites.

Brandewijn is this boozy rum soaked cherry liquor wrapped up in Oud Yaqoub and a wild Laosian Oud if I’m correct. All of this is warmed up by an excellent vanilla absolute that is rather stunning and veers this into gourmand territory without becoming overly sweet or cloying. The base has a powdery, floral sandalwood vibe that I’m guessing is the Buddha wood. Overall this is an excellent Attar and I love how well this develops over time. I got a solid 6 hours out of this one.

Plasencia can be described as an animalic gourmand cigar if that cigar also happened to be Oud. As a tobacco fragrance it’s simply stunning. The opening is filled with Mongolian Musk and earthy notes that quickly segues into sweet pipe tobacco before the animalic nuances of Hindi Oud show up. Abdullah manages to tame an otherwise challenging Oud into something wearable and almost edible. The drydown reveals a pure cigar note. It’s dry, animalic, and takes on a furry texture that’s supported by Aroha Kush and Naga Oud

I have several more of these to get through but for now I’ll wait to try out the rest.

All Is Beautiful

Default Re: Mellifluence Attars

thanks for the reviews. All of them are wonderful, fully natural and amazing. I love Abdullah's work and he is impeccably honest and delivers fast. Incredible values in my opinion and true artistry that only keeps getting better.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    thanks for the reviews. All of them are wonderful, fully natural and amazing. I love Abdullah's work and he is impeccably honest and delivers fast. Incredible values in my opinion and true artistry that only keeps getting better.
    I totally agree. It only took a week to place my order and receive the product. Abdullah was really helpful in navigating his large collection of materials which was almost overwhelming at first.

All Is Beautiful

His stuff sells out a given attar very fast. He numbers each one. If you miss, it's gone, until and if he decides to make more.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Got to get back to wearing some of these. Thrilledchilled ypu mentioned these are all natural. Do you find they keep developing in the bottle?
    Currently wearing: Douleur! by Bogue Profumo

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Got to get back to wearing some of these. Thrilledchilled ypu mentioned these are all natural. Do you find they keep developing in the bottle?
    I am a huge fan and longtime customer of Mellifluence. First, yes, his mixes and macerations do develope overtime, especially the musks. Not only are his attars/mukhallats splendid, his raw materials are also very high quality and sometimes hard to find elsewhere. For example, his lavender absolute, basic amber blend, various tobacco absolutes, are all amazing. He makes his own tinctures and reduces them to absolutes.

The house DNA is a very powdery, boozy base, that you will find in many of his blends.

Among some of the highlights I have experienced:

1) a brown Ambergris in Sandalwood maceration that represents one of the most beautiful scent of marine and wood experiences. I still have some and smelling it is like to coolest, cleanest Ocean breeze, reminiscent of the Bahamas or Arabian Ocean. JK Delapp of RisingPhoenix smells a similar ambergris maceration for about 4◊ the price. I love RisingPhoenix but this is another example of what sets Abdullah apart.

2) any blends featuring almond, booze and oud notes like Amendla, Saudia, and the recent Ghaliya (less boozy).

3) Purple Leather is an excellent cool, soft suede scent.

These are just a few examples. Buy a few 1ml samples or one of the sampler collections and be prepared to be astounded!

Quote Originally Posted by HabibiGotIt View Post
    I am a huge fan and longtime customer of Mellifluence. First, yes, his mixes and macerations do develope overtime, especially the musks. Not only are his attars/mukhallats splendid, his raw materials are also very high quality and sometimes hard to find elsewhere. For example, his lavender absolute, basic amber blend, various tobacco absolutes, are all amazing. He makes his own tinctures and reduces them to absolutes.

The house DNA is a very powdery, boozy base, that you will find in many of his blends.

Among some of the highlights I have experienced:

1) a brown Ambergris in Sandalwood maceration that represents one of the most beautiful scent of marine and wood experiences. I still have some and smelling it is like to coolest, cleanest Ocean breeze, reminiscent of the Bahamas or Arabian Ocean. JK Delapp of RisingPhoenix smells a similar ambergris maceration for about 4◊ the price. I love RisingPhoenix but this is another example of what sets Abdullah apart.

2) any blends featuring almond, booze and oud notes like Amendla, Saudia, and the recent Ghaliya (less boozy).

3) Purple Leather is an excellent cool, soft suede scent.

These are just a few examples. Buy a few 1ml samples or one of the sampler collections and be prepared to be astounded!
    I’d imagine you’ve tried Tsuga Musk. What are your thoughts on it? Abdullah says the next batch is coming in a month or so and I’m hoping to snatch up a few grams. I’m totally blown away by everything I’ve tried so far. I got a chance to wear Al Ghaliya III for a bit today and the complexity and blending is right on par with the best.

Basenotes Member

I ordered Laith III at the start of the week. I spent quite a while on the Etsy page trying to decide which one to get; there are so many that sound interesting. I’ll post my first impressions when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
    I ordered Laith III at the start of the week. I spent quite a while on the Etsy page trying to decide which one to get; there are so many that sound interesting. I’ll post my first impressions when it arrives.
    I’m getting 3 grams of Laith and Plasencia next week. I haven’t tried Laith yet but I’d imagine it’s blind buy worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    Iím getting 3 grams of Laith and Plasencia next week. I havenít tried Laith yet but Iíd imagine itís blind buy worthy.
    I really enjoy many offerings from this house. I ordered a quarter told of Laith III. It is my least wearable from the house or maybe second least with the castoreum in Sandalwood at the top of that list.

My list if must trys are:

Tsuga Musk
    Hellicum
    Paredolia II

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    Iíd imagine youíve tried Tsuga Musk. What are your thoughts on it? Abdullah says the next batch is coming in a month or so and Iím hoping to snatch up a few grams. Iím totally blown away by everything Iíve tried so far. I got a chance to wear Al Ghaliya III for a bit today and the complexity and blending is right on par with the best.
    You didn't ask me but I'd say it's the best item from Abdullah. I will have to get a tola when it is available. I can send you a small sample if you are in the USA. I like to spread the love for the house.

Basenotes Member

My order of Laith III arrived this morning. With his attars selling out so quickly, I didn’t want to wait for samples to arrive, try them out, and then discover that the ones I love are gone forever. So I did what I almost never do: a blind buy!
    Only worn it once of course, but I’m very impressed with it so far. Really powerful and animalic opening that mellows out quite a lot into a musky oudy tobacco that smells very classy to me. The wafts I was getting drifting up from my wrists while typing were really special. Even better, my girlfriend liked it a lot and wants to wear it tomorrow (should’ve ordered 3ml).
    I consider this attar to be really wearable (some might find the first 30 mins or so challenging) and I’m only at the start of my oud and musk journey. I’m far more familiar with civet and castoreum from classic perfumes. Though I must say that animalic notes have always seemed to work well on my skin.
    A sample of Plasencia was included. From the vial it doesn’t seem like it will be my type of thing, but I’ll definitely give it a full wearing with an open mind.

I think Tsuga II still smells great. Beyond the Hills has gotten more interesting but it’s still a little tough for me. Zenith Imperial and Sessile are both nice. Racine wore very strange on me this time, I have to try again.

Really, I think my favorite thing that I have from Mellifluence is the sample of Hellicum. It also has the best performance as the Attars tend to be quite light on me. If this one is still available I may go back for a full bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Really, I think my favorite thing that I have from Mellifluence is the sample of Hellicum. It also has the best performance as the Attars tend to be quite light on me. If this one is still available I may go back for a full bottle.
    Yes I agree that this attar is a great scent and a must buy. Such a natural vibe I get, very relaxing. I could use more,,,

Basenotes Member

There are a few new things on Mellifluence’s Etsy page. The new attars are Kore Hiyaki 2, Euphero Imperial, and Parilla Musk. They all sound really interesting to me, with Kore and Parilla sounding like things I’d like a lot. Though I’m trying to not blindly follow things that I think I’ll like so I can stay open-minded towards the things I didn’t know I’d like (not sure that makes sense). I want to surprise myself.

Does anyone have experience with the original Kore Hiyaki and Euphero? I’d be curious to hear from anyone who has ordered oud oils from Mellifluence as well. I have a feeling that Sylhet Supreme would be something I’d really enjoy. The oud sample sets seems interesting and reasonably priced too.

Thrilledchilled and others: wondering if you can help. Was experimenting with sessile and zenith imperial Attars. One on each wrist to see the difference between the two(one is sweeter and the other muskier)—- and I mixed up the caps. One has a brownish/red liquid and the other is dark green. Anyone know which one is which?