Code of Conduct

Default Is Grasse worth a visit?

I mean from a fragrance enthusiast’s point of view....or perhaps it’s a touristic gimmucky place?

Default Re: Is Grasse worth a visit?

Quote Originally Posted by McMartin View Post
    I mean from a fragrance enthusiast’s point of view....or perhaps it’s a touristic gimmucky place?
    It depends on what your expectations are, and for how long you´ll stay? I was there for the first time some years ago, spending around half a day. That was enough to visit the perfume museum, blend a perfume at Molinard (or was it Fragonard..?) and explore the old town which is really nice with some interesting stores (Micallef, Olivier Durbano for examlpe).

Last summer I attended the two week´s summer course in perfumery. The course was really good, the city not so much. The old town is nice but small, and the city is spread out on a steep hill. If you get a chance to visit some perfume manufacturers or sites for flower growing it is well worth a visit. But just passing by and stay for a longer time - I´m not so sure.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread
    Currently wearing: Amore Mio by Roja Dove

Yes!
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by McMartin View Post
    I mean from a fragrance enthusiast’s point of view
    IMO - Yes.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Especially if looking up the traditional on site fragrance houses already mentioned in this thread, then yes

Absolutely! The whole region is beautiful! The lavender fields! I was so stunned when I first saw it as a child!
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Piver

Just to clarify myself: I too find the region fantastic and Grasse well worth a visit. I´m just not sure that the city/village of Grasse is the best place to stay at for a longer time.

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    It depends on what your expectations are, and for how long you´ll stay? I was there for the first time some years ago, spending around half a day. That was enough to visit the perfume museum, blend a perfume at Molinard (or was it Fragonard..?) and explore the old town which is really nice with some interesting stores (Micallef, Olivier Durbano for examlpe).

Last summer I attended the two week´s summer course in perfumery. The course was really good, the city not so much. The old town is nice but small, and the city is spread out on a steep hill. If you get a chance to visit some perfume manufacturers or sites for flower growing it is well worth a visit. But just passing by and stay for a longer time - I´m not so sure.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread
    Currently wearing: Amore Mio by Roja Dove

Yes, yes, yes!!!
    Currently wearing: Erawan by Parfums Dusita

For me the museum alone was worth visiting. I only spent a day there last year and half of it was at the museum, the town itself is just beautiful to walk around.
    Currently wearing: Tobacco by Franck Boclet