Code of Conduct

Default Agarwood that smells like the oil?

Are some agarwood oud chips when burned similar to the oils they produce? Iíve heated two different agarwoods, one Indonesian and the other Filipino and both were warm sweet almost chocolate or cinnamon spice. Iím curious, are there agarwoods that when burned smell fruity, citrusy or piney? Without the chocolate cinnamon vibe?

Default Re: Agarwood that smells like the oil?

Never smelled an oil next to the wood it was distilled from. However, I have some woods that smell a lot like some of my oils. I see a strong oil-wood resemblance with Vietnamese Aquilaria sinensis wood and oil. Likewise I have found woods from Borneo that are a very close match to some Borneo oils I have smelled.

But there are some oils - especially the heavily fermented ones where the wood is allowed to rot in water for a long time - that do not smell like burning wood at all. They have a whole other strange funky microbiological aroma that is a different thing entirely.

Chocolate cinnamon vibe exists in wood if I am interpreting your words right. Also some spicy / peppery Indonesian oud oils have obvious woods that match.

I would say only a minority of oils in my small collection have a strong resemblance to specific chips I have smelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Never smelled an oil next to the wood it was distilled from. However, I have some woods that smell a lot like some of my oils. I see a strong oil-wood resemblance with Vietnamese Aquilaria sinensis wood and oil. Likewise I have found woods from Borneo that are a very close match to some Borneo oils I have smelled.

But there are some oils - especially the heavily fermented ones where the wood is allowed to rot in water for a long time - that do not smell like burning wood at all. They have a whole other strange funky microbiological aroma that is a different thing entirely.

Chocolate cinnamon vibe exists in wood if I am interpreting your words right. Also some spicy / peppery Indonesian oud oils have obvious woods that match.

I would say only a minority of oils in my small collection have a strong resemblance to specific chips I have smelled.
    I do appreciate the sweet gourmandish scent of the burning agarwood but I think I lean more towards a sandalwood burn for my preference. Having only burned two ouds I know I should explore more. Any specific regions that lean more towards earthy, pine, resinous woodsy scent rather than cinnamon spice and cocoa? How about oil diffuser using oud oil?

Basenotes Member Sultan al Hindi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dothraki View Post
    I do appreciate the sweet gourmandish scent of the burning agarwood but I think I lean more towards a sandalwood burn for my preference. Having only burned two ouds I know I should explore more. Any specific regions that lean more towards earthy, pine, resinous woodsy scent rather than cinnamon spice and cocoa? How about oil diffuser using oud oil?
    Try some Maroke oud if your after an earthy, petrichor type of scent .