Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ultimate wide appeal 5 fragrance wardrobe

I love fragrances for myself but also like to know that those I’m “sharing” them with love them too. So I care about compliments or wide appeal equally as much. As long as the wide appeal isn’t at the expense of ultimate beauty. So I was wondering what I would take if I had to choose five and forget about all the rest and here’s what I came up with:

1. Roja Elysium for warm weather daytime that is attractive to women/masculine.
    2. Millesime Imperial for warm weather daytime less masculine for environments where want to be less sexually polarizing
    3. Roja Enigma for cool weather day and night
    4. Issey Miyake Pulse of the Night for cool weather more casual
    5. La Nuit de LHomme for nights out any time of the year

Would love to hear wh people think of this as a choose and walk away for a while “wardrobe”. Any other peoples’ lists would be appreciated as well. I guess the idea is to minimize cost and number of bottles while maximizing both beauty and appeal to those we’re sharing them with.
    Last edited by mcarter; 24th May 2020 at 07:06 PM.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: Ultimate 5 fragrance wardrobe

I'm not a fan of any of those except Enigma.

I guess whatever floats your boat.

Basenotes Plus

My current wardrobe for the most part and walk away.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Haven't tried either Roja so can't offer anything there, but I'm intrigued enough to want to try Elysium.

LNDLH seems to be a well loved fragrance. Fairly safe, fairly timeless, women enjoy it. Good, solid option that will last a long time in terms of 'age appropriateness'.

Assumed you said the normal Issey Miyake but haven't tried that flanker. They all seem solid, reasonably priced fragrances with their own DNA/cloudy sort of style.

Creed MI is a decent option, too, and versatile. As mentioned elsewhere if you are concerned about buying back ups you may want to do so asap as the Creed buyout could see several fragrances discontinued and/or reformulated.

As for my 5, I only have 6 as it is!
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I'm done when I say I'm done.
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store | Basenotes

Dependent

Not a fan of Roja's and only own YSL La Nuit De L'Homme which is a favorite.

If reduced to five options, versatility would become a prized asset, so, going with my gut:

CASWELL-MASSEY Supernatural Number Six

HERMÈS Eau des Merveilles

HOUBIGANT Fougère Royale

MICHAEL KORS Michael for Men

SANTA MARIA NOVELLA Tobacco Toscano

I would probably go with the following. I have loved all five way over a decade, so probably would not tire of them any time soon. Oh, and unlike original posters list, this wardrobe is certainly not built to please the maximum percentage of people around me.

Chanel Sycomore EdT
    Chanel Egoiste (vintage)
    Eau d'Hermes (dark grey cap vintage)
    Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo (vintage)
    Czech & Speake No. 88 (Forester vintage)

Banned

If I could choose only five, I would choose:

Bois du Portugal (vintage)
    Hammam Bouquet (vintage)
    Habit Rouge EDC (vintage)
    Chergui
    L'Ombre Dans L'Eau (I need to have something sharp, lightweight and beautiful, for the scorching heat of the tropical jungles where I live)

Notice the fact that I chose TWO rose-centered frangrances. Roses are that important to me.

If I had the power, and proper authorization from you to add a sixth fragrance, it would be a leather fragrance such as Equipage. The seventh would be a Tobacco one, such as Pure Havane.
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by mcarter View Post

Would love to hear wh people think of this as a choose and walk away for a while “wardrobe”.
    If those five work for you, well that's great!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Personally enjoying and relating to, not so much due to the price, as much as the quality with the two Roja ones, plus also Creed MI and La Nuit de l'Homme-as options for a versatile and pleasant, as well as well chosen wardrobe of 5.

If only having to have a 5 fragrance limit of the wardrobe, it would probably be along the lines of:

Armani Eau pour Homme
    Knize Ten
    Chanel Antaeus
    Floris No. 89
    Sartorial by Penhaligon's.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 24th May 2020 at 05:37 PM.
    Currently wearing: Marbert Homme by Marbert

Love Elysium. It’s an amazing fragrance but does get some hate for the very expensive price. If it was Chanel and cost £75 it would be a mass hit imo

Quote Originally Posted by emtee View Post
    Love Elysium. It’s an amazing fragrance but does get some hate for the very expensive price. If it was Chanel and cost £75 it would be a mass hit imo
    Without having smelled it - is that not part of the problem?

It's the Common Projects trainer of the fragrance world? It's ostensibly basic, simple, based on something much cheaper and well known, yet costs 10x more than what it is inspired by? As I say, I haven't tried it so cannot say.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    It's ostensibly basic, simple, based on something much cheaper and well known, yet costs 10x more than what it is inspired by?
    You just described more than one Roja Dove.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    You just described more than one Roja Dove.
    Ahahaha

Without having smelled it - is that not part of the problem?

It's the Common Projects trainer of the fragrance world? It's ostensibly basic, simple, based on something much cheaper and well known, yet costs 10x more than what it is inspired by? As I say, I haven't tried it so cannot say.
    No. It really is great (IMO) it’s just very expensive. If you’re not prepared to pay the price then maybe it’s just not for you. There is no logic when it comes to the price of luxury items, there’s plenty of stuff priced too high for my wallet and I just move on if that’s the case for me

I think it’s really good. It has the punch and fresh masculine sillage that drives women wild (like Aventus and Sauvage), but it is much more refined and sophisticated than Sauvage and, for me, smells more complex and interesting than Aventus. To me it’s a fragrance that has the macro qualities that women respond to and the micro qualities that I respond to.

Default Re: Ultimate wide appeal 5 fragrance wardrobe

Guys, I like a lot of the fragrances that many have listed, but are they really mass appealing? No worry if you don’t care about that but the thread topic mentioned choosing five that the people we are “sharing” them with are hoped to particularly like them as well. My bad if in fact they are. Just was hoping that intent wasn’t missed.

It's ostensibly basic, simple, based on something much cheaper and well known, yet costs 10x more than what it is inspired by? As I say, I haven't tried it so cannot say.
    Haha nailed it. This is how I've felt about the 3-4 Rojas I've sniffed.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck

4. Issey Miyake Pulse of the Night for cool weather more casual
    5. La Nuit de LHomme for nights out any time of the year
    These two seem redundant to me.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I honestly don't know how the width of appeal is meant to be measured, I mean the logical answer would be checking top seller charts, probably the answer would be something close to:
    Bleu de Chanel, Sauvage, D&G One, Acqua di Gio, One Million, Aventus...

I'd rather put my trust in myself and pick those most appealing to me rather than fulfilling the imagined general public expectations of how should a man smell. Those imaginations are nothing more than marketing trends anyway, public doesn't expect me to smell like Sauvage or Aventus nor does it need me to wear those in order to find me beautiful smelling, most people recognize and enjoy beauty in most forms of it, not just those trends.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    These two seem redundant to me.
    Maybe, but I find Pulse of Night to be more acceptable for things like the office, as it's more just a warm and beautiful scent. LNdH seems more seductive and potentially sexual to me. It's somehow more for the ladies than for other men.
    Last edited by mcarter; 26th May 2020 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    I honestly don't know how the width of appeal is meant to be measured, I mean the logical answer would be checking top seller charts, probably the answer would be something close to:
    Bleu de Chanel, Sauvage, D&G One, Acqua di Gio, One Million, Aventus...

I'd rather put my trust in myself and pick those most appealing to me rather than fulfilling the imagined general public expectations of how should a man smell. Those imaginations are nothing more than marketing trends anyway, public doesn't expect me to smell like Sauvage or Aventus nor does it need me to wear those in order to find me beautiful smelling, most people recognize and enjoy beauty in most forms of it, not just those trends.
    I don't find it hard at all to learn what others think. I just ask them. If there's someone in my home looking at my stuff I'll ask them to smell some frags and tell me their favorites. I also get compliments and will ask opinions while wearing as well. It's really not that hard to get a sense of what people like.

It's ostensibly basic, simple,
    Rojas are anything but "basic, simple"

I don't find it hard at all to learn what others think. I just ask them. If there's someone in my home looking at my stuff I'll ask them to smell some frags and tell me their favorites. I also get compliments and will ask opinions while wearing as well. It's really not that hard to get a sense of what people like.
    Home isn't exactly the width we're talking about here.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by emtee View Post
    No. It really is great (IMO) it’s just very expensive. If you’re not prepared to pay the price then maybe it’s just not for you. There is no logic when it comes to the price of luxury items, there’s plenty of stuff priced too high for my wallet and I just move on if that’s the case for me
    I'm not sure that really answered the question...?

Quote Originally Posted by ccdan View Post
    Rojas are anything but "basic, simple"
    Citrus, ambergris, blackcurrant - you sure it's not just another BdC x Aventus scent like Sauvage, just going in another direction? Now basic and simple may not be fair - but derivative...?

I have a decant on the way so will be able to tie up the mystery for myself.

It just seems the insecurity leaping off the page belies something...

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

If I had to do 5 based on mass-appeal they would be:

Calvin Klein Eternity for Men (1989) - right at the end of the 80's and ushering in the styles of both the 90's and where we are today. The first "fresh fougère" without which even stuff like Creed Aventus wouldn't exist. A classic that nobody has ever disliked on me young or old.

Azzaro pour Homme (1978) - The ultimate "barbershop" that mixes lemon and greens from the Italian style with richer shave cream elements of the American style, setting an all-season standard that veers more mature but always smells right in any situation.

Bleu de Chanel (2010) - Another all-rounder that smells modern enough but classy enough for almost any age of company or occasion. The freshness and sweetness counterbalance the violet, vetiver, and incense perfectly.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme (1996) - The ultimate aquatic/ozonic for summer. Persimmon fruits, ocean spray, and white florals on oakmoss and musk. Maybe a bit ubiquitous but always a welcome friend when caught in the air.

Dior Homme (2005) - Maybe not mass-appealing to the market at present, but always a compliment getter on me, so I label this mass-appeal in a wearing sense. Iris, cacao, leather, and vanilla for a cold-weather friend.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Ikar by Sisley

My 'Ultimate wide appeal 5 fragrance wardrobe':

Ambre Précieux Ultime (2014) by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier
    Derby (1985) by Guerlain
    Dia Man (2002) by Amouage
    French Affair (2017) by Ex Nihilo
    Patchouli by Santa Maria Novella

BdC x Aventus scent like Sauvage,
    This is something new. Sauvage = Aventus x BdC? Both Aventus and BdC are(individually) a lot more complex than Sauvage.
    To be honest I haven't sniffed Elysium. But I know what kind of stuff Roja makes. The difference between Grey Vetiver and Roja Vetiver Parfum convinced me that the latter is worth the full retail price!
    Last edited by ccdan; 25th May 2020 at 09:48 AM.