Code of Conduct

Default Smoky chestnut honey frag?

Hello everyone,

I've gotten very into the frag world and thought purchasing some samples.
    My partner isn't as thrilled about this new hobby of mine but also casually enjoys nice fragrances so It's all good

So I was thinking to purchase samples more of her liking, when I do order. One smell that she absolutely loves is the smell of her favourite honey. Sweet but not overly sweet, bit smoky/spicy/woody (hard to explain).

Do you have some suggestion in mind I could look for (more in the niche section, I purchase in online niche stores)?
    Thanks in advance!20200524_124945.jpg

Default Re: Smoky chestnut honey frag?

Not familiar with this type of honey, but l'Envol de Cartier EDP could be quite close minus the smoke, Chergui as well as other Serge Lutens options for a highly unisex appropriate balance between smoke, rich notes and moderate not overly sweet spice, GFT Spanish Leather (this one smoky and powdery with a hint of citrus waxiness rather than wood)
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Perhaps Camino De Azahar Oro by Nadia Z
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

MAC Velvet Teddy or Phaedon Tabac Rouge would be good options (very similar smoky/woody honey notes).

I ate chesnut honey some time ago, so I forget exactly what it is, but I do remember as you say something a bit bitter and spicier than regular honey, which is usually sweeter and more cloying.

So broadly speaking perhaps it's worth looking into amber perfumes that are dry and not too sweet. Ambers like labdanum, benzoin, styrax and so on typically smell slightly smoky, resinous, and sweetish. One example is Lutens Ambre sultan, but there are dozens of niche ambers (usually with the word Ambre in the name) that could work.

Another possibility, but stronger and more risky, is immortelle, which smells like a combination of slightly burnt caramel and spices. A good example is Histoires de parfums 1740. Immortelle tends to be more polarizing.

cacio

Try following: slowdive by hiram green, honey oud by floris, zefiro by xerjoff, mamluk by xerjoff, ceylon by xerjoff and maybe ambre narguile by hermes.

These smell very nice and not chemical in their nature, so these might fit the bill quite nicely.

Thanks for the tips!
    Concerning Chergui it's quite spot on because she really likes it... but it's my signature smell already (fall and winter)
    I'll take a closer look at some brands recommended like Hiram Green (looks interesting also for me) or histoire de parfum 1740 (have a sample of 1899 and 1725 and adore both of them)

Basenotes Plus

I gotta day smoky chestnuts and honey sounds pretty damn good

Hummm, my suggestion is Ceylon by the house of Xerjoff. It's a beautiful Honey & Oud fragrance, it might be too overwhelming for you but definitely worth a mention.

CEYLON: TEARDROP OF INDIA

A teardrop shed for an adieu or a sudden return. The wind dries on the rosy cheeks a drop of honey extract, while a cool breeze caresses a drop of bergamot from Reggio Calabria, and the sun dries up a drop of jasmin. The mists spiral up to the sky and become a cyclone in the Andaman Sea. A hurricane in whose eye whirlpools of black tea from Ceylon, Malaysian oud and Indian sandalwood swirl, wiping away the pillars of good intentions. Ceylon is the waking of a castaway with his eyes turned to the sun. The scents of Vanilla, Amber and Musk make his chin raise. The head turns upwards, unaware of being just a whiff away from the greatest boon of its life.

Honey, Bergamot, Jasmine Sambac India
    Black tea from Ceylon, Blend of Oud of Malaysia & Indian Sandalwood
    Vanilla, Amber, Musk

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    Hummm, my suggestion is Ceylon by the house of Xerjoff. It's a beautiful Honey & Oud fragrance, it might be too overwhelming for you but definitely worth a mention.
    It has been mentioned, seems to be a popular choice (and popular brand). I'll need to find a way to test it in store because holy cow, 500euros for 50ml

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    It has been mentioned, seems to be a popular choice (and popular brand). I'll need to find a way to test it in store because holy cow, 500euros for 50ml

Personally, it's my reference for honey frags, it really is that amazing. Cost however, doesn't make it that obtainable unfortunately. I wouldn't mind selling a few things in order to purchase this one. If you get a chance, I definitely recommend getting a sample of this to try if you are able to. Xerjoff is an exceptional house to try out.

Basenotes Plus

Well, this was 100% by accident but I *might have tripped over something worth trying - chestnuts, honey, woods, smoke and spices.

https://www.dshperfumes.com/shop/cha...holiday-no-17/

Châtaignes du Bois $6.00 – $145.00

"A rich and cozy-warm melange of woods mixed with the tempting aroma of roasted, sweetened chestnuts. It’s holiday decadence in a bottle and perfectly unisex."

Ambergris, Ambrette Seed, Australian Sandalwood, Bulgarian Rose Absolute, Burnt Sugar, Chestnut (accord), East Indian Patchouli, Frankincense co2 Absolute, Grandiflorum Jasmine, Green Oakmoss, Himalayan Cedar, Honey Beeswax, Labdanum, Leafy Green (accord), Lemon, Maple Leaves (accord), Orris Concrete, Siam Benzoin, Sweet Chestnut (accord), Tolu Balsam, Vanilla, Vanilla Absolute.

P.S. Dawn Spencer Hurwitz is a local perfume artist (local to me, here in Colorado) and I check her website frequently. I just happened to recall something about chestnuts.... And bingo.
    Last edited by Rick58 & Beth62; 28th May 2020 at 03:19 AM.

Between two pine trees

Myrrh might get her the smoky/sweet thing she likes (although not so much the nutty). However, if she already likes Chergui, another Lutens might fit the bill: La Myrrhe. As long as she doesn’t mind aldehydes.

Another myrrh I enjoy is Myrrhiad by Huitieme Art.

My favorite smoky honey, though, is MFK Grand Soir. Gorgeous.

Sillage Monster

Not chestnut, but By Kilian's Back to Black came to mind. Smoky, boozy honey but not too gourmand. Worth a try.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.
    Currently wearing: Olène by Diptyque