Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 47
  1. #1

    Default Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    How is the scent and is there any variations of the scent since release? Thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    There is a 2012 and a 2017 version where the original release seems to be more popular.

    It is a bit rugged and mature. Not the easiest wear but I like it!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    So far, got from either version of this fragrance both good performance and this very performance on classic manly notes did enjoy to wear- a fairly safe choice for anyone who already likes the notes of regular Eau Sauvage EDT, Eau Sauvage Extreme and/or Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir
    Currently wearing: Marbert Homme by Marbert

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    1,367

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    I've never tried it, something I regret. I only have the regular one. Two bottles!
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

  5. #5

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    How does a vintage 90's edt compare to the edp...would this be suitable as a summer scent?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    I’ve never compared, but I have the 2017 EDP and I love it. There is an entire long thread around here somewhere that someone started just in praise of the 2017 version. I wrote it today in fact, by coincidence. It’s fantastic.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

    > Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

  7. #7

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer350 View Post
    How does a vintage 90's edt compare to the edp...would this be suitable as a summer scent?
    Eau Sauvage and the recent Parfum 2012 and 2017 variants have a lot of comparative reviews on Fragrantica, for example. I don't see why the Parfum version wouldn't work in the heat, but it is a heavier, more resiny composition compared with the more fleeting, effervescent original.

    Main difference from vintage Eau Sauvage and anything modern is the presence of oakmoss. I don't think, considering the overhead of a 'vintage' bottle purchase, it really makes a difference. Eau Sauvage can be readily tried at any Sephora; Parfum probably at major retailers once they reopen.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

  8. #8
    I’m not old: I’m vintage.
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,348

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    I have the vintage EdT and the 2012 EdP. I definitely prefer the EdT, though I like both. My wife loves the EdT and hates the EdP. I can’t speak to current EdT or 2017 EdP.
    Currently wearing: Strategy by Mary Chess

  9. #9
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    316,132

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer350 View Post
    How is the scent
    Wonderful IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I have the vintage EdT and the 2012 EdP. I definitely prefer the EdT, though I like both. My wife loves the EdT and hates the EdP. I can’t speak to current EdT or 2017 EdP.
    Could you give quick description of the differences? Found a 95' bottle of EDT I may pull the trigger on but I don't have much info to go on.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jer350 View Post
    Could you give quick description of the differences? Found a 95' bottle of EDT I may pull the trigger on but I don't have much info to go on.
    They're nothing alike. EDT is a classic masculine from Roudnitska one of the greatest perfumers to ever live. It's changed somewhat, but in doing so has allowed it to exist in 2020 while not smelling what some would say is "old". It's a citrus aromatic, and I mostly get citrus and herbs in the beginning that die down to a sort of nondescript flowery image. It's nice. The EDP however (at least the 2017 version) isn't a stronger version but a different fragrance. It's very abstract in my opinion. I think it's a fine perfume, but in Dior tradition doesn't push any boundaries. I think it's a fantastic choice as well you couldn't go wrong with either.

  12. #12
    Basenotes Plus
    speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,599

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    Both have excellent performance but vary in smell, IMO the 2012 version is the best the 2017 version lacks what made Eau Sauvage Parfum excellent. The 2017 version has more citrus which makes it fresher, I prefer the darkness and Myrrh they used in the 2012 version just a excellent Dior Masculine.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

  13. #13
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,097

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    I have the 2017 Parfum and it's damn near perfect. While I also love the EDT, I much prefer the Parfum. Haven't tried the 2012 Parfum though.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

  14. #14
    I’m not old: I’m vintage.
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,348

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    I wouldn’t say the EdT and 2012 Parfum are nothing alike, but the latter is clearly not the work of the same perfumer or era. Rather, it smells to me like Demachy used Roudnitska’s EdT as a point of departure for his own creation. So, more a reference to than a version of.
    Currently wearing: Strategy by Mary Chess

  15. #15

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    I bought it blind and was a little disappointed

    To my nose it smells like straight Root Beer and it just doesn't click with me

  16. #16
    Nerf Herder
    Reventon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    579

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    Pretty bang on descriptions. I’ve got modern EDT, late 90s full oakmoss EDT and 2017 parfum, yet to find the 12 at a price that wasn’t robbery.

    The biggest difference between the EDT and the 17 Parfum is the sheer density of the sillage. The EDT, oakmoss or not, is rather light and effervescent even with its buttoned down edges and solid, gentlemanly base. The Parfum, by way of Elemi resin, comes off as thick, solid and powerful straight away.

    The note pyramid is totally appropriate for summer, what with vetiver and lavender being great all rounders and elemi enhancing citric elements (along with its anise like qualities), but the feeling as soon as you apply it is that you’ve got a fragrance with serious heft. Its personality is far better suited to cold weather, from my point of view.

    It’s a great abstract take on the original’s spirit. It doesn’t ape it, but gives a lovely tip of the hat in its direction. A note when testing - don’t use a strip. Test on skin and give it some time. Resins tend to change character quite dramatically like this - elemi reads like linear turbo aniseed on paper to me, but off my skin become more green, piney, citric and complex.

    Haven’t tried the 12 Parfum because scalpers can get forked. From what I’ve read, it’s generally considered a bit nicer than the 17 and more complex, but less citric. Makes sense given that Myrrh can exhibit so many different qualities as a material.
    “Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.” - Oscar Wilde
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

  17. #17

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    Wonderful SCENT

  18. #18

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    The 2012 and 2017 Eau Sauvage Parfum are both great but not the same scent at all. The main differences are myrrh being the standout note in the earlier and elemi in the latter. Dior assigning a different flanker name to each may have been better than the year of release but then we might be having a discussion about the discontinued ‘Eau Sauvage Myrrh’ instead. The Elemi heavy version works well too and both versions have fragrance lovers yoyoing to their wrist for another sniff.

    The current Eau Sauvage EdT has more in common with and feels more like a lighter version of the 2017 Parfum than the vintage EdT.
    In a weird way the 2012 Parfum captures a smidgen of the vintage EdT by a different path considerig the notes.

    Would love to see Dior reissue the original EdT as Eau Sauvage Classic and put the full allowance of oakmoss back in or disregard IFRA entirely and make the proper full fat Edmond version.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    The 2012 and 2017 Eau Sauvage Parfum are both great but not the same scent at all. The main differences are myrrh being the standout note in the earlier and elemi in the latter. Dior assigning a different flanker name to each may have been better than the year of release but then we might be having a discussion about the discontinued ‘Eau Sauvage Myrrh’ instead. The Elemi heavy version works well too and both versions have fragrance lovers yoyoing to their wrist for another sniff.

    The current Eau Sauvage EdT has more in common with and feels more like a lighter version of the 2017 Parfum than the vintage EdT.
    In a weird way the 2012 Parfum captures a smidgen of the vintage EdT by a different path considerig the notes.

    Would love to see Dior reissue the original EdT as Eau Sauvage Classic and put the full allowance of oakmoss back in or disregard IFRA entirely and make the proper full fat Edmond version.
    Eau Sauvage apparently (I've never smelled the original, but I trust what the people over at the vintage forum say) never was a power packing punch of oakmoss type of fragrance. I'd bet that they could make it just as full of oakmoss as before, but Dior doesn't since oakmoss is a dating sort of note. Anything full of oakmoss is 1980's or older, and I think they want to keep Eau Sauvage modern enough to sell to more people.

    I disagree what you say about the current Eau Sauvage EDT it is nothing alike with the parfum.

  20. #20
    everyday i'm samplin'
    notspendingamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Middleof, Nowhere
    Posts
    2,188

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    I owned the 2012, sampled the 2017, but prefer the original edt.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

  21. #21

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    I really like 2017 Parfum. Like others have said, it's dense and has quite a presence. The mid is really nice. Calming lavender mixes with vetiver and hedione sweetness all set against a resinous and nutty elemi. It was really helpful to read about elemi to fully appreciate the fragrance. Elemi plays such a big role throughout.

    http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...elemi.html?m=1


    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

  22. #22

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    Eau Sauvage apparently (I've never smelled the original, but I trust what the people over at the vintage forum say) never was a power packing punch of oakmoss type of fragrance. I'd bet that they could make it just as full of oakmoss as before, but Dior doesn't since oakmoss is a dating sort of note. Anything full of oakmoss is 1980's or older, and I think they want to keep Eau Sauvage modern enough to sell to more people.

    I disagree what you say about the current Eau Sauvage EDT it is nothing alike with the parfum.
    Agreed vintage Eau Sauvage was not one of the heaviest in oakmoss compared to many other classic fougeres and chypres of its day but it is also one of the fragrances most affected by its removal because it added heft to the fragrance and helped to boost the aromatics and hedione, not to mention the actual scent of oakmoss which is sorely missed from the current version. It was the male fragrance Dior should have left alone regardless of current fragrance tastes which can shift like the wind.

    The current Eau Sauvage EdT has more in common with the 2017 Parfum than it does with its own vintage EdT. When you smell vintage EdT you will see what I mean. That’s how different the EdT is now to back then. There is a hint of resinousness (guessing elemi) put into the current EdT borrowed straight from the Parfum probably to create some commonality across the range. The original was never resinous.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    The current Eau Sauvage EdT has more in common with the 2017 Parfum than it does with its own vintage EdT. When you smell vintage EdT you will see what I mean. That’s how different the EdT is now to back then. There is a hint of resinousness (guessing elemi) put into the current EdT borrowed straight from the Parfum probably to create some commonality across the range. The original was never resinous.
    Just for the benefit of other readers, I'll say that I don't really agree with this take, and think that the current EDT's relationship to the vintage is clear.

    It's now a bit fresher, cleaner, and more citrusy than the mossier vintage--it's now closer to the eau de cologne style that the original drew from--but isn't worlds apart from it and is still quite recognizeable as itself. I don't detect any new resinous elements in it.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Just for the benefit of other readers, I'll say that I don't really agree with this take, and think that the current EDT's relationship to the vintage is clear.

    It's now a bit fresher, cleaner, and more citrusy than the mossier vintage--it's now closer to the eau de cologne style that the original drew from--but isn't worlds apart from it and is still quite recognizeable as itself. I don't detect any new resinous elements in it.
    Thank you for your opinion.

    My opinion is that Eau Sauvage wasn’t based on an eau de cologne and that Roudnitska would not approve of the current formulation considering the use of aromatics and animalic hints in his creations. The vintage was a citrus aromatic and the current is citrus unremarkable. I’ve made my thoughts and opinions on the 2017 Parfum and current EdT clear. I welcome anyone reading to sample the vintage EdT, current EdT and 2017 Parfum and form their own opinions.

  25. #25
    Dependent HFMIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    1,203

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    If I'm going to own one as an everyday wear it would be the EDT.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Agreed vintage Eau Sauvage was not one of the heaviest in oakmoss compared to many other classic fougeres and chypres of its day but it is also one of the fragrances most affected by its removal because it added heft to the fragrance and helped to boost the aromatics and hedione, not to mention the actual scent of oakmoss which is sorely missed from the current version. It was the male fragrance Dior should have left alone regardless of current fragrance tastes which can shift like the wind.

    The current Eau Sauvage EdT has more in common with the 2017 Parfum than it does with its own vintage EdT. When you smell vintage EdT you will see what I mean. That’s how different the EdT is now to back then. There is a hint of resinousness (guessing elemi) put into the current EdT borrowed straight from the Parfum probably to create some commonality across the range. The original was never resinous.
    There's zero elemi in Eau Sauvage. Lorenzo Villoresi's Acqua di Colonia is a eau de cologne that has significant elemi like Eau Sauvage Parfum.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    There's zero elemi in Eau Sauvage. Lorenzo Villoresi's Acqua di Colonia is a eau de cologne that has significant elemi like Eau Sauvage Parfum.
    I don’t know if there is elemi in the EdT. I said “There is a hint of resinousness (guessing elemi)...”

    Notes aren’t ingredients. Bois du Portugal contained oakmoss. It’s not listed as a note though.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    I don’t know if there is elemi in the EdT. I said “There is a hint of resinousness (guessing elemi)...”

    Notes aren’t ingredients. Bois du Portugal contained oakmoss. It’s not listed as a note though.
    Right I'm well aware and it doesn't change that there's no elemi or elemi accord in Eau Sauvage EDT. I'm not attacking you man don't get defensive I just don't want OP or someone else reading this and drawing a misconception.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    I'll throw my 2 cents in regarding the OP's original question: "Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?"

    I have bottles of both the 2012 EdP and the 2017 EdP. In a nutshell, for me:

    2012 for cooler temps. This can be beast mode - need to go easy on the trigger. No way can I wear this one in the summer. But I totally dig it! I have a back up bottle, even though my wife is not that big a fan of this one.

    2017 for warm/hot temps. This one, for me, actually needs some heat to perform. When I bought this one, it was in the dead of winter. I found it to be rather lack luster in all aspects - especially in the longevity department in that there was not much - I was going to unload it. HOWEVER, someone recommended that I hold on to it until it warmed up and then give it another try. I heeded that advice, and I'm glad that I did! Bingo - needed the warmer temps to bring out the fullness of the fragrance. I find this one to have more citrus than the 2012. Also, it's not quite an "old man" vibe as the 2012 may be perceived.

    I'm glad that I have both - one for each temperature extreme. If I had to pick only one, however, I prefer the 2012.....but I'm also an "old man", so keep that in mind.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

  30. #30
    Dependent deltasun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Could I get some feedback on Eau Sauvage EDP please?

    I have both and enjoy both quite a bit. I do prefer the 2017, seems airier and brighter than the 2012. Again, the only difference is the replacement of myrrh with elemi. It's amazing how close they are, with just the slight bit of freshness in the 2017.

    The EDT is great as well, but does not perform well on me.


    Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
    All kill their inspiration and sing about the grief




Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11th March 2019, 12:33 PM
  2. IMO, Dior Sauvage Very Cool Spray > Sauvage EDT
    By tspencer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 1st June 2018, 08:53 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18th March 2011, 02:13 PM
  4. eBay feedback with a deadbeat seller: feedback issue.
    By Bigsly in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 8th May 2008, 05:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000