Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Guerlain Jicky is Disgusting, Horrible and Vile, OMG

Folks,

After some research, I blind bought Guerlain Jicky EDP. It seemed to be such a powerful, classic perfume, with such a nice history behind it. Something that I needed to have in my collection, which is focused mainly on the classics. I have many other guerlain fragrances, anyway. It seemed "safe". I found a nice bottle for a good price at ebay and I bought it. I had such high hopes for Jicky! As soon as it arrived, I opened the box and sprayed my wrist twice. Jicky starts citrusy, then it becomes green and floral. But folks, folks, I was not ready for its basenotes. The basenotes in Jicky are totally disgusting, horrlble, vile. OMG. The basenotes smell like animalic poop. Yes they do, do not try to deny it. It reminded me about what happened when I bought MKK with its infamous dirty animalic "crotch" note. I had to wash my wrist twice in order to remove the basenotes. It is like glue.

Jicky is a powerful perfume, and I guess I can see that "many a cross-dresser could found doused in Jicky around the infamous Moulin Rouge", as Crusader said. But it is not for me. I can't send it abroad, so I will sell it here in Brazil, where some courageous collector might buy it.

It was a disaster and I am very sad.

jicky.jpg

1200px-Broken_heart_SVG.svg.jpg
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Guerlain Jicky is Disgusting, Horrible and Vile, OMG

Jicky isn't even the stinkiest of animalic perfumes anymore. There's even raunchier stuff out there, granted it's mostly in the niche world.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

If you like the opoponax and you have the chance, try Le Galion Special for Gentlemen as an alternative.

71W6mJXwBAL._SY450_.jpg
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

It's one of those reverential, precious fragrances that are almost beyond criticism.

Well it may have smelt different originally but now I get a distinct aroma of a noxious loo that has just been sprayed using lemon 'Pledge'.

The back-end of Jicky can be hard to stomach.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Jicky isn't even the stinkiest of animalic perfumes anymore. There's even raunchier stuff out there, granted it's mostly in the niche world.
    It is funny that I love the barnyard notes in Oud Attars, but I had such a bad reaction with Jicky. I guess its a different kind of poop.

Basenotes Plus

Lol. Guess you just aren’t ready for Jicky’s famous French kiss.

Blog Entries

Waiting for the Jicky fans to arrive, Been so long since they have been required to attend
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: London by Tom Ford

Sounds great, ordering a bottle now

I like Jicky, not a big fan but I find it adorable, so Andrei which animal's poop are you getting? I find dog and cat feces disgusting which is why I don't enjoy ambergris but horse's doesn't really turn my stomach at all! Anyway to me the damp animalic side of Jicky smells like morning breath which I've grown to not mind!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    I like Jicky, not a big fan but I find it adorable, so Andrei which animal's poop are you getting? I find dog and cat feces disgusting which is why I don't enjoy ambergris but horse's doesn't really turn my stomach at all! Anyway to me the damp animalic side of Jicky smells like morning breath which I've grown to not mind!
    It is an "abstract animal". It does not really exist in the real world. It is not like the animalic notes in certain oud oils, which smell like horse or cattle manure. I have a top grade Indian Oud Attar, and I love the barnyard smell in it, together with its balsamic qualities. But I hate Jicky. I don't know how to express this......it is just how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    ….I hate Jicky. I don't know how to express this......it is just how I feel.
    I suppose we all have a certain fragrance (or fragrances) that we just can't tolerate. For me, it's Pinaud Clubman's Lilac Vegetal, or more notoriously known as, "The Veg". I loathe it - can't stand it - LOL. However, with that being said, I'm wondering if perhaps the Jicky bottle you received has turned and gone bad. I have a bottle of the current EdP, and have sampled the vintage and current extrait, and I don't find any semblance of notes as those that you've described with your bottle. And I'm one that, for the most part, does not like heavy animalic or funky notes in a fragrance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aero58 View Post
    I suppose we all have a certain fragrance (or fragrances) that we just can't tolerate. For me, it's Pinaud Clubman's Lilac Vegetal, or more notoriously known as, "The Veg". I loathe it - can't stand it - LOL. However, with that being said, I'm wondering if perhaps the Jicky bottle you received has turned and gone bad. I have a bottle of the current EdP, and have sampled the vintage and current extrait, and I don't find any semblance of notes as those that you've described with your bottle. And I'm one that, for the most part, does not like heavy animalic or funky notes in a fragrance.
    I have the impression that what I have is the real thing, it has not turned and gone bad. The color of the liquid is correct, and it was sealed!

Like gin martinis, champagne, and caviar, Jicky is an acquired taste. Don’t give up after only one or two wearings. Otherwise, you run the risk of being one of those idiots who goes around saying stuff like, “I tried champagne once, and didn’t like it.” 50,000,000 Elvis fans can’t be wrong. Same goes for Jicky.

[Editor’s note: 50,000,000 Dior Sauvage fans actually are wrong.]

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    I have the impression that what I have is the real thing, it has not turned and gone bad. The color of the liquid is correct, and it was sealed!
    Well, at least you gave it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    ….[Editor’s note: 50,000,000 Dior Sauvage fans actually are wrong.]

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    Eh, ambergris doesn’t smell fecal, cat’s or poop or otherwise. And I have quite a few fragrances with tinctured genuine ambergris. Perhaps what you smelled was just regular whale poop.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Like gin martinis, champagne, and caviar, Jicky is an acquired taste. Don’t give up after only one or two wearings. Otherwise, you run the risk of being one of those idiots who goes around saying stuff like, “I tried champagne once, and didn’t like it.” 50,000,000 Elvis fans can’t be wrong. Same goes for Jicky.

[Editor’s note: 50,000,000 Dior Sauvage fans actually are wrong.]

I will have plenty of time to try it again, but my reaction to it was really strong, I estimate that the probability of a reversal in judgement is extremely small. I guess it is not champagne, it is sparkling piss.

Hang onto it, and come back to it in a few months or so. Won't be long before you're craving those civet top notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Eh, ambergris doesn’t smell fecal, cat’s or poop or otherwise. And I have quite a few fragrances with tinctured genuine ambergris. Perhaps what you smelled was just regular whale poop.
    Again fecal is a big accord. Real Ambergris smells somewhere between baby milk-puke and house dog shit. I'm not that experienced with Amboroxan and I'm not talking about that. And really? Thought we're adults here.
    Last edited by blackaroma; 26th May 2020 at 02:23 PM.

everyday i'm samplin'

Lol. The stretched crack accord. Eh, its so quiet i find it a polite use. Though, it doesnt seem to meld together as much as sit alongside the powdery nature.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Real ambergris, like oud, has a variety of aromas and textures, some more animalic and some less so.

The most recent Jickys that I smelled here are quite clean, sadly for me, so you got lucky and got an older bottle. Some people would pay good money for it.

I hope you find the strength to get through this ordeal.

-----

I like these types of dirty:

- mild "fecal" note like in Czech & Speake Cuba;
    - more pronounced "fecal" note like in Chanel Cuir de Russie;
    - dirty musk + indole like in Kiehl's and Dzing!;
    - smooth and deep cheese-barnyard oud like in Rania J. Oud Assam;
    - acidic-barnyard like in Rasasi Oudh Al Boruzz line;
    - cheese-barnyard-ink-dead-hyena-skin like in Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie;
    - cumin when it's dense and it have full body, not when it's too airy-aromatic;
    - animalic like in Chanel Antaeus (mild), Amouage Epic (mild), Guerlain Jules and so on;
    - pissy like in Amouage Gold and YSL Kouros.

But I don't like absolutely at all halitosis (bad breath) type of dirty like in Aramis 900. It's diiiiiisgusting.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

everyday i'm samplin'

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Real ambergris, like oud, has a variety of aromas and textures, some more animalic and some less so.
    Gray = less animalic, bleached by time
    Black = fresh, animalic
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Jicky isn’t for me either but was this the first time you smelled civet? If no, how do you generally do with the note?
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Now why do I dislike Jicky but really love Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake, which has a base of Oakmoss, Civet and Ambergris and is described by one reviewer on here as 'terrifying'

its gotta be that unique lavender/crotch accord

This one being one of the few Guerlains so far not familiar with, even more intrigued about this

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Honestly after the first 5 real ambergris I came to the conclusion it's the only animalic scent that is outright repulsive to me in high doses! At its nicest it smelled like that acid reflux sour taste you get in your throat when having a vomit false alarm!

I don't mind other animalics no matter if it resembles blood, goat shit or sex crotch! I even love most of them.

I'm no expert, but the real ambergris I'm acquainted with is hard to describe, since ambergris is unique, but kinda salty-metallic-luminous-breezy?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Jicky isn’t for me either but was this the first time you smelled civet? If no, how do you generally do with the note?
    I have absolutely no problem with Kouros! I love it, actually. The Vintage one!