Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Suggestions for a good 'Suede' fragrance?

I'm starting to realise that I love the note of 'suede' in fragrances.

2 things:

- Intrigued to see if anyone else likes this. Is it relatively 'new'? It seems to be be in more recent releases but have I just avoided/missed out on older fragrances with this note? It's basically a really lovely, musky accord that simulates both the feel, and the smell, of suede - really cool...
    - I'm wondering whether people have any 'favourite' suede fragrances? If so, would love suggestions.

I'm no lover of the kind of leather fragrance that has become common in the wake of Tuscan Leather. I find that strong, brand new leather smells feminine - a bit dominatrix-esque. And it seems that so many leather fragrances - and ones that might contain suede - unfortuantely rely on this 'new leather' accord which, to me, makes them unwearable (though I don't mind them on other people).

This recent 'revelation' about suede comes from having tried the vintage Michael for Men by Michael Kors and really loving the use of tobacco along with this smooth, suedey leather accord over the last few days. It made me realise that I really, really like this accord.

Two other fragrances that spring to mind as some examples of having suede are YSL Rue 24 - it's marked down as 'daim' - and Vanille Fatale by Tom Ford. While I own and love the YSL, and love the TF for women, I'd like to see if there isn't something a bit more masculine, and ideally with a prominent tobacco akin to the Michael Kors without being gross or unwearable, with suede (either as a listed note or a 'suedey leather').

I've been looking at 'Suede' by Rook Perfumery as it potentially hits all the needs for this - suede, leather, and tobacco, niche and artistic etc - yet I'm slightly worried that 'leather' is listed as the main note on fragrantica (which kind of leather is it?!) and the reviews seem to compare it to a BBQ...not exactly what I had in mind so I'm reticent to blind buy (something I haven't done for a long time and would ideally keep it that way for the sake of sampling).

If anyone else has any suggestions for (ideally) a suede and tobacco fragrance, as well as discussing 'suede' in general, that would be cool.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Default Re: Suggestions for a good 'Suede' fragrance?

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens sounds like a good fit if you want both tobacco and suede, and have the budget. I haven't tried it (though I think I have a sample kicking around somewhere...), but judging by Daim Blond and Chergui, it should be of good quality.

Oh -- came here to give Daim Blond a shout

It's not my favourite as it is a bit too sweet for me but many do like it here

In mainstream, the Bottega veneta, for either sex, were definitely on the suede side, as was Costume National.
    In more expensive territory, have you tried Chanel Cuir de Russie? Perhaps not exactly suede, but very soft and elegant.

cacio

Among the fairly affordable to very inexpensive ones, taking the liberty to add-though considering that you already are familiar with most of these:

Yves Rocher Cuir Vetiver, Avon Black Suede and Black Suede Touch, Zara Black Tag Intense EDP, Pierre Cardin Cuir Intense, most of the Dior Homme flankers, particularly on the Parfum/DHI side rather than the sporty-casual ones, Rasasi La Yuqawam Homme, Varvatos Vintage, while some of these might have some minimal tobacco as well.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I'd suggest these three, but note there's no tobacco -

Daim Blond
    Bottega Veneta
    Cuiron
    Currently wearing: Aqua Amara by Bulgari

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens sounds like a good fit if you want both tobacco and suede, and have the budget. I haven't tried it (though I think I have a sample kicking around somewhere...), but judging by Daim Blond and Chergui, it should be of good quality.
    It's well made, but Fumerie Turque is really weird in that "niche-y" sort of way, and is considerably more likely to inspire polarized responses than the likes of Chergui.

Parfum d'Habit (1988) by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

While my go to suede gem does not contain any tobacco, sorry, I felt it would deserve a shout out, because I feel it is just that good imo...

Guerlain's Cuir Beluga from the L'art et la matière line.

FRAGRANCE

This luminous and enveloping interpretation of white suede opens on a mandarin note. Then everlasting flower blends with suede over a velvety amber base of vanilla and heliotrope.

Powdery Oriental

Top notes: aldehydes, mandarin.
    Heart notes: patchouli, everlasting flower.
    Base notes: vanilla, amber, heliotrope, white suede note.

Cheers. Daim Blond and Chanel CdR probably not what I'm after as I dislike purple floral notes. The other Lutens looks promising though I've found I'm not mad for their house style. Tempted enough to sample though for sure.

BV too green but a lovely fragrance - I'm probably really looking for Michael Kors with a bit more suede and a bit less fruit which is probably not going to happen. Honestly, don't expect anything to be bang on or even but really appreciate the suggestions so far and thought it was worth asking. Was just as interested enough in a discussion about the note - not one I'd ever really 'considered' before but just clicked that it's probably an integral part for a 'masculine' smell I was looking to find when going through boozy and tobacco notes. If I don't find a love I'm not too fussed.

Would also be interested to see if anyone's tried the Rook, actually? I am half tempted by a blind buy but there's not too much in terms of reviews out there online - one video and a whatever is on fragrantica.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Tom Of Finland
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Maybe Fuel For Men by Donna Karan -- the re-issue is lovingly made and it's a fine fragrance that may suit

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Tom Of Finland
    Bingo!
    let me know when you decide to throw in the towel...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    While my go to suede gem does not contain any tobacco, sorry, I felt it would deserve a shout out, because I feel it is just that good imo...

Guerlain's Cuir Beluga from the L'art et la matière line.

FRAGRANCE

This luminous and enveloping interpretation of white suede opens on a mandarin note. Then everlasting flower blends with suede over a velvety amber base of vanilla and heliotrope.

Powdery Oriental

Top notes: aldehydes, mandarin.
    Heart notes: patchouli, everlasting flower.
    Base notes: vanilla, amber, heliotrope, white suede note.
    Agree - 100%. Cuir Beluga is beautiful. We were talking just this weekend about leather (find it HERE) and one takeaway from that discussion was the difference between "photo-realistic" and "impressionist". I guess you could say I'm in the latter category and that, to me, would include suede.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Tom Of Finland
    Agree 100% with this. Lovely suede scent...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I'd suggest...
    Cuiron
    This one. Superb stuff (tobacco or no).
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Heaven's made of oakmoss

For vtg suede, definately Adidas ('85). Go for the ones distributed by Beecham/Quintessence.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    Fumerie Turque is a wonderful pipe tobacco scent - but I don't see the suede in it.

Alas, I have very bad allergic reactions from FT, otherwise it would be my number one - Holy Grail - signature

+1 Bottega Veneta (not pour Homme, which as you say is quite green), but the original EdP (pour femme, but don't let that put you off; it is perfectly unisex), which has a very fine suede note, or like kid leather gloves. note to self : must check out Tom of Finland.
    Summer 2020 : Guerlain Vetiver; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Etro Gomma; Palais Jamais and Dianthus; Hermes Equipage Geranium; Aramis Tuscany; Caron Yatagan and Third Man; Knize Ten ; Parfums d'Empire Eau de Gloire and Corsica Furiosa; Anatole Lebreton L'Eau de Merzhin; Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

I was going to suggest Cuiron , until I noticed the prices that it's currently going for. Not worth it! I would suggest Obsession Night because it won't break the bank if you find it wanting.

Beyond the already mentioned Tom of Finland and Fumerie Turque, CH Men by Carolina Herrera and Rendez-Vouz by Atelier Cologne.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

I remember Donna Karan Fuel for Men was known for a suede note.

I had it and can't say I remember that note all that much. A nice manly scent...fruit, wood.
    As Kaern said, the re-issue was done with pride and care...
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme

Attar al Ghutra by Swiss Arabian (very masculine imo)

My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

Helmut Lang's Cuiron is the first one that comes to my mind also when I think of suede.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Néroli Sauvage by Creed

Heeley - Cuir Plein Fleir. Unfortunately, I've noticed it's hard to come by these days and showing out of stock on Heeley's website :-/

Quote Originally Posted by nucker View Post
    I was going to suggest Cuiron , until I noticed the prices that it's currently going for. Not worth it! I would suggest Obsession Night because it won't break the bank if you find it wanting.
    Yep, looked them up, not great prices!

Hermessence Cuir d'Ange is a favorite and truly makes me think of suede.

There are a lot in the niche realm, but if you're looking for a solid, quick choice in the designer area that won't cost you an arm and a leg, there are plenty discontinued bottles of Fan di Fendi Pour Homme for sale on eBay.

I don't think I've tried another non-exclusive designer that is as focused on suede itself as this one.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Banned

ELdO - Tom of Finland
    Cerruti - L’Essence
    Dunhill - Icon Elite
    Byblos - September Morn

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Attar al Ghutra by Swiss Arabian (very masculine imo)
    Amazing scent for the price. It lasts and lasts and projects very well. I don't get any tobacco from it though, but it has that sort of rich quality to it.