Code of Conduct

Default How much musks are too much?

Hi!

How much musks (in percentile) is too much? I understand they are mostly heavy molecules so too much will need other materials to left them up, but how much is too much? 10%?
    Thank you,
    Amr

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: How much musks are too much?

10% is not too much. 20% might not be too much. 30% might not be too much.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

I think it depends on the musk being used, and the overall scent profile you are trying to achieve.

Some musks (Galaxolide) have been in fragrances up to 20% of the entire formula (Grojsman's Tresor). I havent dealt with many different musks yet, but i could assume that its safe to say that there are no limits to how much you want in there, depending on if it reaches your desired scent.
    ...bathing in perfumes...

I'm not sure this is always my strategy, but I believe I usually push musks till I can argue they might be too much, then back down minimally till I feel it is just so. I don't go by numbers although when beginning formulas I do have typical amounts in mind as starting points.

In my experience I’ve never really ever managed a level of to much musk, and I’ve really pushed it. Musks are so soft and warm they are practically impossible to over do, they can begin to mute the other notes at times but often times they do so in a way that improves the blend. This being said if you are using natural musks such as civet or deer musk and certain synthetic musks, cashmeran for example, they can easily overtake a composition.

To sum things up, if you are working with the synthetic “laundry” musks, don't give it much concern and add as much as suits your needs.

It depends on what type of fragrance effect you are trying to achieve.

Normally 12-15% (of the total fragrance concentrate) tends to be an average, fairly "safe" amount.

Personally, I tend to prefer fragrances that err on the side of caution, when it comes to musk, and use lower amounts (maybe 7 or 9%). But even up to 30 percent might not be too much in some extreme cases, where an artistic fragrance is really trying to go after a certain effect, or making strategic use of the musk; some fragrances intentionally aim for an overdose of musk. I think once you start getting into 20 percent to 25 percent you are definitely getting into overdose territory. (though that is somewhat subjective)

Quote Originally Posted by parker25mv View Post
    Personally, I tend to prefer fragrances that err on the side of caution, when it comes to musk, and use lower amounts (maybe 7 or 9%).
    I'm right about where you are Parker. I Hover around the 5-8% range in my formulas. I like to 'feel the effects' of musk, ...but not necessarily smell them.

But that's not to say maybe in the future i might want to create a musky bomb of a scent and really push it,...who knows. But im right about where Parker is as my safe spot.
    ...bathing in perfumes...

These days and for some time, "No perfume without jasmine!" isn't true anymore (unless perhaps counting Hedione as jasmine) but "No perfume without musk!" pretty much is.

Yes, the white musks can be used at higher levels than the animalic ones. In either case, go by nose not a rule on numbers.

Basenotes Plus

Some big musk bombs are Liz Taylor's White Diamonds... 28% Galaxolide and 5% Exaltolide and it definitely feels old lady-ish. Jardin Sur la Nil is actually 30% Ethylene Brassylate but it doesn't seem musky, and EB is a powdery and sweet musk. But I think because he also has around 10% cassis base in there that it pushes down the musk. So half that perfume are 3 materials if you also consider the 10% Hedione.

I just mean to answer BKkorn that this is a tale of two musks... both around the same levels of musk, but completely different effects.

But, the ultimate musk is War and Peace by Arrej le Dore. It uses real Russian deer musk. One drop will clear out the grocery store. Nothing compares to the real thing.
    Andrew Hugg, Lieutenant Colonel, USAF (retired)

Jardin Sur la Nil is actually 30% Ethylene Brassylate
    Really? I'm quite surprised as I'm not even detecting it. Well... it shows how much study/training I still need to get my nose ready.

Basenotes Plus

Jardin Sur la Nil is 23.47% Ethylene Brassylate.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

many thanks to all of you. I meant to ask about the usual acceptable...maybe common range. Art in adding more to achieve a specific target is a level i'd like to reach . This reminds me with photography somehow; i used to tell newbies there's no such a thing like the correct exposure; the correct exposure is the exposure which achieves your target of the picture so i kinda understand
    Thank you,
    Amr