Code of Conduct

Default Seeking Oud Enlightenment

Ok... so far I feel comfortable to say I have a decent idea of what characteristics Cambodian/Thai ouds will (generally) lean. Syrupy fruit, juicy tropical fruit. This is the vibe Iím getting based on my limited experience... Kastalana, Oud Extraordinaire, Satori Fusho all from EO. I also have a bottle of Naga Layyen which is completely different than the others. Assuming this is the direction a Borneo would steer. Not really fruity, but very very dry. Has a little funkyness off the top that goes away quickly. Extremely dry. There is a slight frutyness in the beginning but it disappears quickly to the dryness.

Are there profiles that differ as much as the Cambodian/Thai to the Borneo but in a different direction? Say...spicy instead of fruity but not extremely dry or maybe green and sappy without the abundance of fruity? Any that are incense smoky but not crazy dry?

Just for the record I love the fruity ones, and the dry one I tried. not in the mood for the dry one all the time though. What are a few that would fill some gaps in the spectrum?

Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Also need clarification... when EO lists “Cambodian/Thai” is he distilling two woods together or is this a Cambodian tree farmed in Thailand or something else?

Default Re: Seeking Oud Enlightenment

Yes! Profiles reflect region and extraction method. Huge variations are possible. I will give some scent profiles (these are just the distinguishing notes not the entirety of the scent:

Some profiles: salty marine ambergris notes; spicy pepper, lime oil and cola; cow manure, chocolate, hay; sweet carrot seed and cypriol; rich humus and pine bark mulch scent; tart valerian and spikenard; sweet honey and poplar bud

Oud has so much variation based on genetics, geography, cultivation method and extraction methods

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Yes! Profiles reflect region and extraction method. Huge variations are possible. I will give some scent profiles (these are just the distinguishing notes not the entirety of the scent:

Some profiles: salty marine ambergris notes; spicy pepper, lime oil and cola; cow manure, chocolate, hay; sweet carrot seed and cypriol; rich humus and pine bark mulch scent; tart valerian and spikenard; sweet honey and poplar bud

Oud has so much variation based on genetics, geography, cultivation method and extraction methods
    Got it, thanks. It’s hard to just order large numbers of samples. I will have to play it slow and steady.

For the very dry woody Naga Layyen I ordered a bottle of vetiver and a bottle of Jasmine from EO to experiment with. I’m thinking it could also be disastrous so will keep that in mind and only sacrifice a little bit. Hoping to add a floral note to “absorb” some of the dryness and smooth it out.

Hey bud you should add a fruity Thai to Nagalayyen! I made a blend using 1gram Oud Yaqoub and 2grams Nagalayyen

The Oud yaquob has a lacquered sweetness along with dried fruits and florals! It compliments the resinous elements of Nagalayyen while toning down the Barny opening.

I’d highly recommend blending some Oud verse the vetiver. I tried the vetiver by adding Aroha D’Afrique and it didn’t work out so well. Smelled kind of rubbery.

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    Hey bud you should add a fruity Thai to Nagalayyen! I made a blend using 1gram Oud Yaqoub and 2grams Nagalayyen

The Oud yaquob has a lacquered sweetness along with dried fruits and florals! It compliments the resinous elements of Nagalayyen while toning down the Barny opening.

I’d highly recommend blending some Oud verse the vetiver. I tried the vetiver by adding Aroha D’Afrique and it didn’t work out so well. Smelled kind of rubbery.
    That’s the one I ordered...Aroha D’Afrique. I’m not sure what I’ll use it for but figured it wouldn’t hurt to own a bottle of good vetiver. I haven’t tried Oud Yaqoub yet but I do have Kastalana which is very sweet guava, almost lemon pine type resinous notes. Thanks for the tip I’ll try some Kastalana and maybe do another with Jasmine and let ya know how it turns out. I do like the Naga Layyen by itself too...but in small doses. I accidentally put WAY too much on when I first got it. Powerful stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Dothraki View Post
    That’s the one I ordered...Aroha D’Afrique. I’m not sure what I’ll use it for but figured it wouldn’t hurt to own a bottle of good vetiver. I haven’t tried Oud Yaqoub yet but I do have Kastalana which is very sweet guava, almost lemon pine type resinous notes. Thanks for the tip I’ll try some Kastalana and maybe do another with Jasmine and let ya know how it turns out. I do like the Naga Layyen by itself too...but in small doses. I accidentally put WAY too much on when I first got it. Powerful stuff!
    Aroha D’Afrique is very Smokey and potent as well. Go easy on the wearing with that one. The smoke is incredibly thick and resinous. Nagalayyen is the most powerful oil I own. One small drop behind each ear lasts over 10 hours on my skin it’s unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    Aroha D’Afrique is very Smokey and potent as well. Go easy on the wearing with that one. The smoke is incredibly thick and resinous. Nagalayyen is the most powerful oil I own. One small drop behind each ear lasts over 10 hours on my skin it’s unreal.
    Wow! This Aroha D’Afrique is freaking AWESOME! I love how smoky it is. As it dries I get a carrot note that reminds me this is a distillation of a plant and not an Attar Blend. There’s nothing I don’t like about it. Great stuff.