Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Anyone else not a fan of beast mode performance?

Even if the fragrance is nice it can get a bit much when it's all you can smell all day and you just can't get away from it.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate a fragrance that lasts but I much prefer it when you get the occasional whiff to remind you you're wearing it.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

What prompted this thread is I used 2 sprays of Fragrance Du Bios Milano (from a sample) about 4 hours ago and it's all i've smelt since!

Default Re: Anyone else not a fan of beast mode performance?

You should be able to modulate a strong projector by how much you apply, but yeah, I'm not the hugest fan of having to be careful with how much I spray and where.

prefer medium-light projecting scents. strong normally means a bigger hit of certain chemicals which is not pleasing to have around me all day.

it's funny that most people value performance above smell these days.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

If I like the scent my perfect scenario is a relatively medium to small bubble and a very long lasting performance, if it's more potent I just spray less, if it's a beast I'll do a half spritz so I'll get the same performance. I don't like my perfume to be as loud as a man who shouts to prove he has a good voice! It's even counter productive, isn't it?
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

It depends.

I would love to get some better performances from my beloved Egoiste.
    I would also like to get some projection from Dia and Etro Sandalo.
    And I would definetly like to have less projection from Amouage Gold and Van Cleef & Arples pour Homme. They suffocates me for a couple of hours.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    If I like the scent my perfect scenario is a relatively medium to small bubble and a very long lasting performance, if it's more potent I just spray less, if it's a beast I'll do a half spritz so I'll get the same performance. I don't like my perfume to be as loud as a man who shouts to prove he has a good voice! It's even counter productive, isn't it?
    It's pretty much the same to me.
    Ideally for me the scent should last, but not shout.

The more important thing is performance curve, no matter how light or strong a perfume with a solid stable curve can have the desirable performance (however you want it) by amount of application but something a bad curve that just starts way louder than it's dry down, will either suffocate you with its opening or last a very short time and you won't even notice the dry down (depending on how much you applied)
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Dependent

Do you mean potent fragrances or people who over apply fragrances?
    A little goes a long way is usually the way I apply except with eau de colognes.
    For the most part, I can't stand Polo or Aramis because most I know who wear them use "beast mode" application.

Quote Originally Posted by emtee View Post
    Even if the fragrance is nice it can get a bit much when it's all you can smell all day and you just can't get away from it.
    Sometimes it's better to also read the first post, not just the title.

It's better when it has great longevity. But if it's a very good perfume and it has weak longevity, it does not influence the buying decision.
    Of course I would love a couple of hours more longevity for Egoiste. But even so, with moderate longevity, it's my favorite.

I also love Kiehl's Original Musk and Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte (2-3 hours top).
    Because they don't have great longevity, I can wear more perfumes in one day. But I swear I wouldn't cry if they performed better.

Dependent

I can appreciated good longevity and sillage, though really it isn't a dealbreaker for me. Some days I'll want something I can smell strongly all day without issue, others (read: most) I'll want to have the option to top-up, change-up or let fade. Not having 29-hour longevity and a furlong of sillage also lets me see the fragrance through from opening to end, which is where some artistic effect can really come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    The more important thing is performance curve, no matter how light or strong a perfume with a solid stable curve can have the desirable performance (however you want it) by amount of application but something a bad curve that just starts way louder than it's dry down, will either suffocate you with its opening or last a very short time and you won't even notice the dry down (depending on how much you applied)
    I'm talking more about fragrances that don't necessarily start crazy strong, more the ones that are quite linear and just stay close to the nose for hours on end never letting up. Even a pleasant smell can become cloying if it's all you can smell. This one doesn't even have big projection (the person whose been sitting right opposite me all day cannot smell it) but it's all I can smell.

I find I get this a lot with MFK fragrances, perhaps my nose is more sensitive to certain ingredients than others.

Banned

I am a shameless Over-Sprayer, so I can get what I want from most perfumes. Beast Mode!
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

I’m not entirely against them. It depends how much someone has applied. It’s amazing how much leeway you can create by adjusting the number of sprays and where you apply. If I know a fragrance projects strongly sometimes one spray is enough but if that’s still too much, under clothing is the next option. Medium projection and 8+ hours longevity is what I prefer personally. I rarely come across a foghorn wearer and if I do it’s for moments.

Yep, not a fan.

They have their place when the template is so obviously designed for nights out/young people.

For something like Aventus, I want the lengthy longevity, I don't want it to project for 4-5 hours. That makes it distasteful and embarrassing.

I'm all for having one beast mode scent in a collection - if by beast mode we mean massive projection/sillage - to wear as and when the situation requires it, but as a default...?

I feel it hinders application. If I only feel confident doing tiny little spritzy squirts from the atomiser, that seems likely to break the mechanism, firstly, by messing around with it, but also it makes it likely I can't spray the body parts I want (clavicles, wrists) and instead have to settle for just one area.

Most of this can be avoided by applying tastefully - and I suppose in that sense a bottle lasts much longer if you're only applying a small percentage of the actual liquid - but give me 12 hour longevity with relatively soft projection and that's the ideal fragrance.

Obnoxious projection at any time other than a night out in a 'strong' aromatic environment (club, bar, CERTAIN eateries) is the literally the reason why people hate fragrances and there is a prevailing distrust of them among the general public.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”

Quote Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
    prefer medium-light projecting scents. strong normally means a bigger hit of certain chemicals which is not pleasing to have around me all day.

I'm not sure that's true? Maybe on YouTube and the like.

I think for many men, given the 'samey' nature of men's fragrances for the past 20 years (relatively speaking), most are happy enough with the scent: does this smell ok to me, do women like it, does it avoid smelling feminine? Check all those boxes quickly enough, without caring about the nuances of scent, and now you focus on performance - am I getting good value for money. If I spray this on a 8am will I still smell it by 4pm?

That seems fair enough - but I don't think these people are really on basenotes. Not in large number, anyway.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”

...you can wear beast mode nearly every fragrance! Even the top beast mode scents can be turned down!
    let me know when you decide to throw in the towel...

There's something I find extremely satisfying about giving an atomizer a few good spritzes. If I have to approach the sprayer like it's a nuclear weapon, it's not as fun.

Therefore, I'm not a huge fan of "beast mode." I like a fragrance I can give two or three good sprays to leave me with a nice and solid, but comfortable, projection.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    .. Even the top beast mode scents can be turned down!
    VCAPH and Ted Lapidus? That is a tough task

I test mine out at home first before rendering people unconscious

I don't want to be "that guy".

I like decent longevity, but do not want a projection monster. I would even sacrifice longevity if it were a great fragrance. You can always carry an atomizer and re-apply if you really want. You can't do much to make it smell better.

If you have a beast, just apply one spray - and spray it further away from yourself than you would with a "normal" fragrance.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Not true.
    Among the most successful designer frags in recent times are Acqua di Gio, Bleu de Chanel, La Nuit - none of which are known for "beast mode performance"

Perhaps they appreciate the most frags that have both good smell and good performance, like Aventus and Tobacco Vanille. It makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    ...you can wear beast mode nearly every fragrance! Even the top beast mode scents can be turned down!
    Well, that's true. If you're using just one spray from distance. But it will be too weak.
    If you want some fullness you have to spray more vigorous and endure a few hours of olfactory assault. This is the best compromise for me.

Sometimes...love the way Dia Man develops for instance

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Nastka View Post
    You should be able to modulate a strong projector by how much you apply
    This, so I don't find it to be a concern for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I don't want to be "that guy".

I like decent longevity, but do not want a projection monster. I would even sacrifice longevity if it were a great fragrance. You can always carry an atomizer and re-apply if you really want. You can't do much to make it smell better.

If you have a beast, just apply one spray - and spray it further away from yourself than you would with a "normal" fragrance.
    I'm in agreement on this, would prefer to project for the first hour or 2, but then lighten down where the scent you can still smell, but doesn't scream anymore.

Yes I am a firm believer in. “If you can smell yourself it’s too much” fragrance should enhance your presence not be your presence. An occasional whiff ever so often is acceptable to me.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

I prefer spraying just enough to get constant light whiffs for a good 4-5 hours or so, maybe more or less given how I'm feeling that day.

The 'in your face" "beast mode" fragrances are usually pretty good at doing this but I most likely go easier on the trigger than most wearing them.

My skin eats up fragrance, so I generally prefer beast modes where possible.

While apparently quite the opposite of this and thus a long term, almost militant beast mode fan, still happening to almost equally enjoy several non-best mode scents as well.

Moreover, the absence of best mode performance being the very reason for liking these fragrances, apart from their good to great actual smell. Namely that this very scent do personally enjoy is being quite moderate in terms of projection and/or longevity.
    Currently wearing: 1881 Amber by Cerruti

Definitely this!!

Quote Originally Posted by eriqesque View Post
    Yes I am a firm believer in. “If you can smell yourself it’s too much” fragrance should enhance your presence not be your presence. An occasional whiff ever so often is acceptable to me.
    Yeh surely a fragrance should first and foremost make you feel good, so if you can smell it now and then, it's still good enough and the scent is still performing well..