Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Iím not old: Iím vintage.

Default Re: Reversals of Judgement: Reappraising your verdicts

My first pass at vintage Zino Davidoff, I was disappointed. The second time, I was more judicious in application, and its charms became apparent.

I haven't yet reversed myself on any other fragrance, but I anticipate having many opportunities in the future.
    Currently wearing: Devin by Aramis

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Most of the stuff I got tired of smelling in the 90's I came around to after it stopped being so common anymore, like Nautica, Tommy, Curve for Men, Blue Jeans, all that stuff.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

The one I always think of is Kilian's Straight to Heaven. It wasn't that I hated it when I first sampled it, it was more of a shoulder shrug response and I threw the sample back in my drawer.

I don't know why my response was so "meh," but for whatever reason, it just didn't impress me the first time I tried it.

Quite a while later, I found the sample again and tried it, but my response was completely different. I loved the stuff and remember thinking to myself....."What is THIS!!" And I still love it to this day.

I wound up not only buying Straight to Heaven, but Straight to Heaven Extreme and Straight to Heaven Splash of Lemon as well.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Nťroli Sauvage by Creed

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My tastes definitely evolve.

Some of my favorites are things I wouldn't have enjoyed years ago. 1725, for example. I don't remember why I didn't like it at first, but I didn't. I owned a sample for at least 2 years before it clicked with me. I love the stuff. I'll probably be buying a 120ml bottle later this year because my 60ml bottle is running low.

Also, as my experience with fragrances grows, my tolerance for harsh synthetics gets lower and lower. Some of the synthetics being used for fake wood are a good example. I used to like The One by D&G (the EDT), but over time, I kept noticing they're using something in the base that smells harsh to me (I notice much less of it in the EDP). So, something I might not have minded years ago might bug the crap out of me now.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Endymion
    Grey Vetiver
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Prada L'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes
    Reflection Man
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Pomelo Paradis

Basenotes Plus

My mild like of Creed Bois du Portugal has turned into something approaching apprehension after wearing it more frequently for the past month. It's got a very Madame presence on my skin that I'm not enjoying.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davidcalgary29 View Post
    My mild like of Creed Bois du Portugal has turned into something approaching apprehension after wearing it more frequently for the past month. It's got a very Madame presence on my skin that I'm not enjoying.
    Have you tried Royal Oud?

Royal Oud doesn't smell like Bois Du Portugal, but I feel like there's a strong connection between the two, almost as if passing the torch from one generation to the next, or perhaps even grandfather to grandson.

I think Bois Du Portugal is excellent, but I can't wear it. It's too mature for my style, and too elegant. Royal Oud fits me like a glove.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Endymion
    Grey Vetiver
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Prada L'Homme
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes
    Reflection Man
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Pomelo Paradis

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Just curious, do you have Bleu EdP or Parfum?
    Actually the EDT. I have samples of the EDP and the Parfum also. I may someday pull the trigger for a bottle of the Parfum, but haven’t yet.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive díAmbre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

My initial impression is pretty accurate.

Versace Pour Homme is one that I first seen as just an above-average type of scent, but later on I started seeing certain uses where it shines.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Have you tried Royal Oud?

Royal Oud doesn't smell like Bois Du Portugal, but I feel like there's a strong connection between the two, almost as if passing the torch from one generation to the next, or perhaps even grandfather to grandson.

I think Bois Du Portugal is excellent, but I can't wear it. It's too mature for my style, and too elegant. Royal Oud fits me like a glove.
    Royal Oud is an excellent fragrance that suits me well. It's going to be my next purchase (along with Tabarome).

You make an excellent point, but Bois du Portugal reminds me of a handsome older woman who may be a Governess and/or owner of a brothel. I didn't mind those dusty florals at first, but now I just...can't. Maybe I need to save it for Very Special occasions, like having tea with aged relatives with a poor sense of smell. I mean, when that's allowed again.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Not a scent but a category. Leather. Tried the Dior Leather cologne. And a couple others. No go for me

Fast forward a couple of years to this past fall. Histories de Parfum 1740 Marquis de Sade. Fully adore this one
    Would you wear 1740 just during the fall or year round? Iím on the fence a bit about it. Can see itís art but not sure itís that wearable particularly daytime or spring / summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pouring View Post
    Would you wear 1740 just during the fall or year round? I’m on the fence a bit about it. Can see it’s art but not sure it’s that wearable particularly daytime or spring / summer

I'm wearing it in high temperature rn and the boozy immortel+patchouli just pops better than in the winter, my older small bottle of 1740 was probably too strong for the summer but the current version is so delicious all year round.

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    I'm wearing it in high temperature rn and the boozy immortel+patchouli just pops better than in the winter, my older small bottle of 1740 was probably too strong for the summer but the current version is so delicious all year round.
    I would’ve thought that for me it’s only a fall and winter scent but now I’ve got to go try it in hot weather

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    ChuckW and I have had an interesting relationship with Bleue de Chanel. Purchased and sold off many times. However, I currently own the EDP and Parfum. I'd like to know my friend's current views on this one. Mine in particular alter, but I suppose I'll keep these two for better or worse and just wear them if the mood strikes.
    Disliked Bleu de Chanel EDT when it first came out. Tried it again years later and ended up going 180. Bought a bottle and it quickly become my work scent. Since then I have finished a couple bottles. I have also added EDP and Parfum. EDT is still my favourite.
    Beauty is in the nose of the beholder.

Musc Ravageur: at first, I was like, "Interesting start...omg I think I might vomit." Around a year later, I started thinking "Damn, this is delicious."

Feve Delicieuse: the first time many years ago, I thought, "THIS IS SO DISGUSTINGLY SWEET THAT I MIGHT GO INTO A SUGAR COMA." Last fall, I started thinking, "Oh wow, this is wonderful" and a few weeks ago I was like, "What is this aromatic lavender in the opening? This is awesome!"

I always try to give perfumes many chances because I know how my nose can and has changed over time.

Sauvage, though? It has been and remains "GROSS GET THIS OFF OF ME!!!"
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    Wow... must try it today. Early summer and unusually warm today where I am based. Thks

This happens all the time. I rarely get the full picture of any fragrance after first sniff and sometimes the initial impression is not positive. In time I often learn to understand and enjoy the composition. Absolutely same applies to music.

Quote Originally Posted by d r e View Post
    My initial impression is pretty accurate.

Versace Pour Homme is one that I first seen as just an above-average type of scent, but later on I started seeing certain uses where it shines.
    I should add one more:

Ultra Male

At first I again just seen this as an "above-average" scent, but nothing to get too hyped over. Eventually I tried it on a cold night and finally "got it". My earlier tests were during cool-warm days, which wasn't ideal, IMO.

Might even add this one to my collection.

TdH EDT: When I first started this journey I tried it and was taken aback. The orange peel was a little too biting. But for some reason the woody drydown stick in my head and the next Winter I was craving a woody scent. Then it was love. In fact while in Chicago I wore this a majority of my first two years there.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

I hated Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme the first time I tried it. It smelled like citrus cleaner. But a year later, I tried it again and loved it. I think this instance has less to do with my tastes than trying two very different formulations.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

All Is Beautiful

Figment Man went from hate to love.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.