Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Versatile office niche scent for under 150$?

Hello all,

Could you suggest a good niche scent that can be worn most of the year (beside maybe the very hot summer or the very cold winter days) and in the office ?

I stumbled accross Fougere Royale by Houbigant which seems to be a classic, but maybe a bit too harsh for office?

I'm not a fan of fragrances with bitter tones, that are too sweet, too flowery or too metalic. For instance, i really don't like Eau Sauvage (not niche i know glad), You by Armani and I'm not a huge fan of kenzo power or even Byredo Bal d'afrique (I think it the flowery notes that i can't bare, even if very well crafted).
    I really don't mind skin scents so projection isn't a issue.

Am I too difficult? Maybe!
    Take care!

Default Re: Versatile office niche scent for under 150$?

Layton by PDM, 125ML can be had for right under $150 through grey market sites or ebay, It's mass appealing, quite versatile, and I believe it'll be appreciated in an office setting.
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

Sound Scents

The price point is a tough one for niche nowadays... Maybe something like Richard James (Savile Row), which could be considered niche. The perfume is a bit floral, but in this case the florals are so well-integrated you barely realize that is what they are. It is kind of in the same mold as Dia Man from Amouage.

The perfume was re-released after a brief discontinuation, but there are plenty of bottles available of the original release in the all gray box on eBay well within your budget (so might as well not risk going for the potentially reformulated current release).
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Have you tried 1725 by Histoires De Parfums? 1725 is one of my favorites. It smells dapper in the air, making it perfect for wearing to work or to any formal occasions, but up close on skin, it smells cozy and inviting.

You can find a 60ml bottle online under your price point.

As a bonus, 1725 is a fantastic date scent for precisely the reasons I mentioned: In the air, it smells dapper. Up close on skin, it smells cozy and inviting. I love when a scent pulls off that trick. Come to think of it... Royal Oud is another one I'd recommend, though it's probably out of your price point. You might want to sample it anyway, and if you like it, look for a decant.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    If you are, I say GOOD! Dance the beat of your own drum, my friend. I tend to be picky about what I like and what I think suits my style. There are only 7 days in a week. Why would I waste any of them wearing something I don't love? If you're picky, I think you should use that as a reason to sample more. As Toucan Sam would say... Follow your nose. It always knows!

Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Endymion
    Grey Vetiver
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis
    Bigarade Concentrée
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Tom Ford Noir Eau De Toilette
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum

PdM 'Percival'
    Also Polo Blue edp or Gold Blend edp are good ones for the office imo.
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by PartySnake View Post
    Layton by PDM, 125ML can be had for right under $150 through grey market sites or ebay, It's mass appealing, quite versatile, and I believe it'll be appreciated in an office setting.
    Heard it is quite popular, just need to find it for that price (and first sample it)

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    The price point is a tough one for niche nowadays... Maybe something like Richard James (Savile Row), which could be considered niche. The perfume is a bit floral, but in this case the florals are so well-integrated you barely realize that is what they are. It is kind of in the same mold as Dia Man from Amouage.

The perfume was re-released after a brief discontinuation, but there are plenty of bottles available of the original release in the all gray box on eBay well within your budget (so might as well not risk going for the potentially reformulated current release).
    Never heard of it, will check it out

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Have you tried 1725 by Histoires De Parfums? 1725 is one of my favorites. It smells dapper in the air, making it perfect for wearing to work or to any formal occasions, but up close on skin, it smells cozy and inviting.

You can find a 60ml bottle online under your price point.

As a bonus, 1725 is a fantastic date scent for precisely the reasons I mentioned: In the air, it smells dapper. Up close on skin, it smells cozy and inviting. I love when a scent pulls off that trick. Come to think of it... Royal Oud is another one I'd recommend, though it's probably out of your price point. You might want to sample it anyway, and if you like it, look for a decant.

If you are, I say GOOD! Dance the beat of your own drum, my friend. I tend to be picky about what I like and what I think suits my style. There are only 7 days in a week. Why would I waste any of them wearing something I don't love? If you're picky, I think you should use that as a reason to sample more. As Toucan Sam would say... Follow your nose. It always knows!

I own a sample of 1725, it was my first introduction to fougere and i really enjoyed it. But isn't it a tad to daring for office? I found it extravagant (in a good way).

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    PdM 'Percival'
    Also Polo Blue edp or Gold Blend edp are good ones for the office imo.
    Polo blue is a classic As said above, need to put my hand on some PdM to sample they are quite known

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I own a sample of 1725, it was my first introduction to fougere and i really enjoyed it. But isn't it a tad to daring for office? I found it extravagant (in a good way).
    To me, 1725 smells dapper. I don't find it to be daring - but that's me. It's A-OK if you think otherwise. As I said, follow your nose & trust your judgement.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Endymion
    Grey Vetiver
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis
    Bigarade Concentrée
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Tom Ford Noir Eau De Toilette
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum

Penhaligon's Sartorial. Modern fougere by Bertrand Duchaufour.
    Summer 2020 : Guerlain Vetiver; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Etro Gomma; Palais Jamais and Dianthus; Hermes Equipage Geranium; Aramis Tuscany; Caron Yatagan and Third Man; Knize Ten ; Parfums d'Empire Eau de Gloire and Corsica Furiosa; Anatole Lebreton L'Eau de Merzhin; Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme

I think you can find Floris 1962 for under $150. I know Floris may not be high end niche but I love this offering
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

any wriggle room with the price?

50ml of Aventus -- I've seen £163 -- about $190? The 'cologne' can be got cheaper

Check out PriceSpy or Idealo websites

Lalique Pour Homme EDP

No need to spend big bucks for what you're looking for.
    In the neighborhood of Fougere Royale, but more subtle.

My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store | Basenotes

Pretty much every Creed in the main men's line.

Would suggest getting a small sample of all of them and checking them out if you're not that familiar

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Hello all,

Could you suggest a good niche scent that can be worn most of the year (beside maybe the very hot summer or the very cold winter days) and in the office ?

I stumbled accross Fougere Royale by Houbigant which seems to be a classic, but maybe a bit too harsh for office?
    Fougere Royale would be fine
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Floris 1962
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

I Find creed a bit expensive, but hear so much about it (and is one of the houses that i can test without pruchasing)
    I discovered Floris which seems an appreciated house for quite good value so will check it out!
    I popped in a fragrance store on my lunch break, they had Houbigants and Nobile 1942 Fougere. I slightly prefer the latter (a bit more smooth?), but on strip! I also tried Amber by Nobile 1942 which i adored (again, on strip). Will keep a closer eye on it

Perhaps something from Serge Lutens like Five O'Clock Au Gingembre.

I find it to be quite versatile and office-safe. And it can usually be found for a price more in line with designer than niche.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

I find it to be quite versatile and office-safe. And it can usually be found for a price more in line with designer than niche.
    Interesting, SL is one of my favourite houses. I remembered liking five o clock, but for holiday/winter purposes. Chergui is my go to for evening out with GF or fall/winter

I would like to suggest Mousse Illuminee by Rouge Perfumery. It’s very vintage however it’s a fantastic fragrance with amazing performance for $80. It’s similar to vintage Polo Green and is backed by real oak moss. I would highly suggest sampling as it’s extremely potent but a safe, classic fougere.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Hello all,

I'm not a fan of fragrances with bitter tones, that are too sweet, too flowery or too metalic. For instance, i really don't like Eau Sauvage (not niche i know glad), You by Armani and I'm not a huge fan of kenzo power or even Byredo Bal d'afrique (I think it the flowery notes that i can't bare, even if very well crafted).
    I really don't mind skin scents so projection isn't a issue.

Take care!
    Why specifically 'niche'?

I would suggest something from Amouage which you can find in that range if you shop around. Bracken Man is a good versatile all-weather option.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Why specifically 'niche'?

I would suggest something from Amouage which you can find in that range if you shop around. Bracken Man is a good versatile all-weather option.
    Because I can get my hands on most designers easily and try them. But I don't have many niche store (2 to be exact a their selection is limited) so I have to order online sample since I want to take my time and test as many as possible
    I've only tried Dia Man, wasn't very convinced, especially for the price. But I still intend to order some more (bracken and reflection man amongst others)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by emtee View Post
    Pretty much every Creed in the main men's line.

Would suggest getting a small sample of all of them and checking them out if you're not that familiar
    If every Creed in the main men's line equals Green Irish Tweed, then I am in complete agreement. It is fantastic and present, but not intrusive and overbearing, and everyone seems to like it.

I'm not sure that I can say the same thing about most of Creed's other offerings, although I love almost all of them. A lot of them are above OP's price point, and several of them (Aventus; Viking; Virgin Island Water) feel more social than workplace.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the concept as well, though. Is Creed a niche brand? What is a niche scent? Is it something that only a select group of people are supposed to enjoy?

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Because I can get my hands on most designers easily and try them. But I don't have many niche store (2 to be exact a their selection is limited) so I have to order online sample since I want to take my time and test as many as possible
    I've only tried Dia Man, wasn't very convinced, especially for the price. But I still intend to order some more (bracken and reflection man amongst others)
    Oh okay, got you. A lot of 'niche' can be had for cheaper online if you search around.

Very good options already, seconding particularly Sartorial and Fougere Royale, while also adding ADP Colonia and Collezione Barbiere, Eton College Collection, most Xerjoff citrus fragrances if discounted and/or available in a smaller bottle size, mainly Nio and XJ Renaissance, Knzie Forest by Knize (not very forest-like nor mossy in spite of the name and actually quite office appropriate, clean and inoffensive), Hugh Parsons Yellow and Hugh Parsons Blue.
    Currently wearing: 1881 Amber by Cerruti

I Find creed a bit expensive, but hear so much about it (and is one of the houses that i can test without pruchasing)
    I discovered Floris which seems an appreciated house for quite good value so will check it out!
    I popped in a fragrance store on my lunch break, they had Houbigants and Nobile 1942 Fougere. I slightly prefer the latter (a bit more smooth?), but on strip! I also tried Amber by Nobile 1942 which i adored (again, on strip). Will keep a closer eye on it
    Fougere Nobile is an excellent choice and very office friendly, but it didn't seem to have blown your mind. Some of the Aqua di Parma's are office friendly and should fall within your price range. The original Colonia is great, but I do prefer Colonia Pura from the line.
    Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
    All kill their inspiration and sing about the grief

I would consider New York Intense.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

This is a nice choice.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Quote Originally Posted by davidcalgary29 View Post
    If every Creed in the main men's line equals Green Irish Tweed, then I am in complete agreement. It is fantastic and present, but not intrusive and overbearing, and everyone seems to like it.

I'm not sure that I can say the same thing about most of Creed's other offerings, although I love almost all of them. A lot of them are above OP's price point, and several of them (Aventus; Viking; Virgin Island Water) feel more social than workplace.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the concept as well, though. Is Creed a niche brand? What is a niche scent? Is it something that only a select group of people are supposed to enjoy?
    Since Creed was mentioned, Original Vetiver as well and also happening to consider this one as one of not just the best rendered, but also most office-appropriate niche vetivers
    Currently wearing: 1881 Amber by Cerruti

I would go with Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree. Its a beautiful scent - a masterpiece, created by the greatest noses in the game (Demachy/Polge) that I could not see any one being annoyed with or disgusted by. It is also good for any season winter through summer, and it sits very close to the skin, so no worries about gassing people out.
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

If you think HOUBIGANT FOUGERE ROYAL is "too harsh" for office, you may indeed be a bit finicky...that's as traditional as men's scents get.
    It is almost the scent that would be pictured in the dictionary under "Traditional Male Fragrances."

I would second the suggestion of HISTOIRE DE PARFUMS 1725. Another fougere with a slightly modern touch. It's stronger than it seems. A tad gourmandish but not overly so. But if you find this and FOUGERE ROYAL too "daring," your conservative meter is set to about "9" for work scents.

So the one I really advocate is ORMANDE JAYNE MAN. It's more sedate than the fougeres mentioned. It's right at your price cutoff for 50ml. I retired 362 days ago and this is a scent that makes me want to go back to work just to wear it. It's modern, distinctive, manly. Good longevity and not too loud. What I like about niche scents like this is that it will be fairly unique and you won't smell like anyone else. Can almost guarantee that.

I'm gushing about it for sure, but don't take my word for sh*t. Nothing is universally loved.

My other favorites for office are pricey and beyond your stated budget:

NICOLAI NEW YORK INTENSE is a masterful male scent. You will be the best smelling guy at work. But 30 ml is $67.
    MDCI INVASION BARBARE is a great modern fougere. Pricey...maybe too much for you- price and scent wise.
    CREED BOIS DU PORTUGAL is great, classic, manly scent. May be too over the top "potently strong" statement for your tastes. A little CEO-ish...(but I wore it anyway).

You're warning us you "may be difficult" so sample if anything looks interesting to you.
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Very good options already, seconding particularly Sartorial and Fougere Royale, while also adding ADP Colonia and Collezione Barbiere, Eton College Collection, most Xerjoff citrus fragrances if discounted and/or available in a smaller bottle size, mainly Nio and XJ Renaissance, Knzie Forest by Knize (not very forest-like nor mossy in spite of the name and actually quite office appropriate, clean and inoffensive), Hugh Parsons Yellow and Hugh Parsons Blue.
    Knize is a brand I've just heard not too long ago, someone advised me on "ten" for a leather smell

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Fougere Nobile is an excellent choice and very office friendly, but it didn't seem to have blown your mind. Some of the Aqua di Parma's are office friendly and should fall within your price range. The original Colonia is great, but I do prefer Colonia Pura from the line.
    I really liked Fougere Nobile, haven't tried on skin but was very pleased on blotter! I've it in my shopping list to sample it thoroughly along 1725

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I would consider New York Intense.
    Had it for quite a while in my shopping cart, is very intriguing and seems very versatile and well crafted

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I would go with Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree. Its a beautiful scent - a masterpiece, created by the greatest noses in the game (Demachy/Polge) that I could not see any one being annoyed with or disgusted by. It is also good for any season winter through summer, and it sits very close to the skin, so no worries about gassing people out.
    Thanks, this i will try in store

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    If you think HOUBIGANT FOUGERE ROYAL is "too harsh" for office, you may indeed be a bit finicky...that's as traditional as men's scents get.
    It is almost the scent that would be pictured in the dictionary under "Traditional Male Fragrances."

I would second the suggestion of HISTOIRE DE PARFUMS 1725. Another fougere with a slightly modern touch. It's stronger than it seems. A tad gourmandish but not overly so.

The one I really advocate is ORMANDE JAYNE MAN. It's right at your price cutoff for 50ml. I retired 362 days ago and this is a scent that makes me want to go back to work just to wear it. It's modern, distinctive, manly. Good longevity and not too loud. What I like about niche scents like this is that it will be fairly unique and you won't smell like anyone else. Can almost guarantee that.

I'm gushing about it for sure, but don't take my word for sh*t. Nothing is universally loved.

My other favorites for office are pricey and beyond your stated budget:

NICOLAI NEW YORK INTENSE is a masterful male scent. You will be the best smelling guy at work. 30 ml is $67.
    MDCI INVASION BARBARE is a great modern fougere.
    CREED BOIS DU PORTUGAL is great, manly scent. May be too over the top "potently strong" statement for your tastes. A little CEO-ish...(but I wore it anyway).

You're warning us you "may be difficult" so sample if anything looks interesting to you.
    For Houbigant, harsh isn't the word I really meant. I tried in on strip and it had strong opening (but not unpleasant at all). I just preferred a bit Nobile's take on a fougère (have to try side by side on skin to tell what exactly it is) and casanova's (even if, as stated above, I'm a bit unsure of casanova for office, but really like it indeed)
    MDCI invasion is also in my with list
    Bois de portugal i will try in my niche store they have it thanks for the tips