Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 34
  1. #1

    Default Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    I have and absolutely love the naughty sexy Bois Mysterieux and now have a chance to get an almost full bottle of Songe d'un Bois d'ete for a very good price but I know I won't be wearing two bottles of this in a lifetime, so I'm willing to buy it if only it's an upgrade.

    So is Songe really better or different? (aside from its much nicer bottle!) should I replace my BM with Songe?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    I bought, besides many other samples and decants, a Bois Mysterieux sample, especially to compare it side by side with Songe (own a bottle).

    I'll tell you my opinion after that.
    Hope they'll arrive in a couple of days.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  3. #3

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    ^great!

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,608

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Tested them both blind (asking an SA to help me) at Guerlain's flagship store in Paris, at the 1st floor, sit, alone (after the SA left) and relaxed. I felt some differences when I smelt A, than B, but then I felt the same exact differences (reversed) when smelling B, then A. Side-by-side test is tricky, but to answer the question: no difference AT ALL to my nose, as confirmed by the Guerlain SA. (reformulation would unbalance the juice, so it is impossible to modify just a single ingredients, without having a "domino effect" - too expensive).

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,608

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    I bought, besides many other samples and decants, a Bois Mysterieux sample, especially to compare it side by side with Songe (own a bottle).

    I'll tell you my opinion after that.
    Hope they'll arrive in a couple of days.
    Doesn't make any sense to compare a sample (from a bottle with unknown storage condition, unknown date of opening, oxygenation of the sample when sprayed into the vial, temperature variations and evaportation during transportation) with a bottle well stored opened on a different date.

    Should you smell any difference, it will be mostly due to influence/perception, or if real, to different aging of the juices. Add to that personal differences between noses and personal perception...

    Sometimes I even smell differences of a single juice from the same bottle depending on where on the body I apply it, on side by side test, so...

  6. #6
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    316,104

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Own and love both. To me, just different.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Doesn't make any sense to compare a sample (from a bottle with unknown storage condition, unknown date of opening, oxygenation of the sample when sprayed into the vial, temperature variations and evaportation during transportation) with a bottle well stored opened on a different date.

    Should you smell any difference, it will be mostly due to influence/perception, or if real, to different aging of the juices. Add to that personal differences between noses and personal perception...

    Sometimes I even smell differences of a single juice from the same bottle depending on where on the body I apply it, on side by side test, so...
    Andy, I'll do my best.

    You are probably right.
    If there are differences, maybe the test it's not 100% relevant.
    But if there are no differences...
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  8. #8

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    By the way, I compared today Etro Sandalo (100 ml bottle) previous version with the current version (Notino sample) and remembered that differences.
    I've just bought a bottle of Etro Sandalo current version.
    I'll see if the differences are the same.

    You made me curious.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  9. #9

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Own and love both. To me, just different.
    Elaborate?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Tested them both blind (asking an SA to help me) at Guerlain's flagship store in Paris, at the 1st floor, sit, alone (after the SA left) and relaxed. I felt some differences when I smelt A, than B, but then I felt the same exact differences (reversed) when smelling B, then A. Side-by-side test is tricky, but to answer the question: no difference AT ALL to my nose, as confirmed by the Guerlain SA. (reformulation would unbalance the juice, so it is impossible to modify just a single ingredients, without having a "domino effect" - too expensive).
    There are reviews saying songe has noticeable more cumin and is less held back in the animalics department, something I love in BM, you don't get that?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    The samples has arrived this morning. Didn't go back home, so I'm only wearing Bois Mysterieux.

    Bois Mysterieux has its head cut off compared to Songe. It's missing a few hours. It starts directly with the dirty part of Songe. Even here it seems a little different, as if it's muskier (clean musk).

    Songe it starts strong with sweet myrrh and a dirty accord resembling hot asphalt. Very different.
    I don't like Bois Mysterieux.

    I'll do the side by side test, as I promised, but I really don't think anything will change.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  12. #12
    Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Here I am.
    Posts
    11,606

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    The samples has arrived this morning. Didn't go back home, so I'm only wearing Bois Mysterieux.

    Bois Mysterieux has its head cut off compared to Songe. It's missing a few hours. It starts directly with the dirty part of Songe. Even here it seems a little different, as if it's muskier (clean musk).

    Songe it starts strong with sweet myrrh and a dirty accord resembling hot asphalt. Very different.
    I don't like Bois Mysterieux.

    I'll do the side by side test, as I promised, but I really don't think anything will change.
    Interesting. While I love the drydown of Songe, the opening is always so intoxicating and it would seem a shame to lose it or have it toned down. I’ve never sampled BM because I’ve got a decant of Songe as well as a full bottle I had to buy immediately.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    The samples has arrived this morning. Didn't go back home, so I'm only wearing Bois Mysterieux.

    Bois Mysterieux has its head cut off compared to Songe. It's missing a few hours. It starts directly with the dirty part of Songe. Even here it seems a little different, as if it's muskier (clean musk).

    Songe it starts strong with sweet myrrh and a dirty accord resembling hot asphalt. Very different.
    I don't like Bois Mysterieux.

    I'll do the side by side test, as I promised, but I really don't think anything will change.
    Thank you Emanuel I will wait a little longer for your side by side before paying but I already can see this'll be one of my top delivery packages (Songe+Nabucco) 🍻

  14. #14

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    Thank you Emanuel I will wait a little longer for your side by side before paying but I already can see this'll be one of my top delivery packages (Songe+Nabucco) ��
    There's no time left today. Bois Mysterieux is still pretty strong.
    I'll test them side by side tomorrow.

    Let's be clear. Do you get a thick blast of sweetness in the beginning? Do you get anything else other than that sweaty-musky (sex part) linear accord with a pinch of myrrh?
    The sex part is there. The foreplay and the cigarette after sex are missing.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  15. #15

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    the list of ingredients of both are different. songe has more ingredients. and price wise songe is dearer. per mil. a few people have stated in reviews that songe is better. whether different enough to justify both ive no idea.
    “All mankind is from Adam and Eve. An Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action." -

    saying of the prophet muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم in what is known as the farewell sermon.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Maybe you're in a hurry. So I'm testing them right now.

    No. No. Nooooo.
    Bois Mysterieux it's a musk bomb. I hate (this type of) musk.
    Songe it's so smooth, that sweaty accord it's much rounder, has a nice sweetness for almost an hour and an oily jasmine note.
    In Bois Mysterieux the sweaty note is there, but it's overwhelmed by musk. In fact after 2 hours the musk it overwhelms everything.

    Normally I would advise you to buy Songe right away. But you said in the first post that you love Bois Mysterieux. I don't like it absolutely at all. So I don't know what to say.
    Maybe I'm too sensitive to (this type of) musk. And for those who don't find it so strong, the fragrance will be different.
    I really don't know. But the fact is, I don't like it (Bois Mysterieux).
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  17. #17

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Songe was more akin to Dior Leather Oud , Bois while having similarities is a different fragrance its more salty , musky and airy where as Songe was deep and woody. Songe lasted longer but I find Songe has a better projection but not as long lasting compared to Songe. Songe lasts 24 hours , Bois around 8-10 hours which is good.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinrambo09 View Post
    Songe was more akin to Dior Leather Oud , Bois while having similarities is a different fragrance its more salty , musky and airy where as Songe was deep and woody. Songe lasted longer but I find Songe has a better projection but not as long lasting compared to Songe. Songe lasts 24 hours , Bois around 8-10 hours which is good.
    Yeah, Bois Mysterieux it's a little bit salty. And the projection it's better, because that annoying musk it's strong.
    And, yes, Songe it has huge longevity.
    I reinforce what you said.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    a dirty accord resembling hot asphalt.
    A friend of mine is laughing at me. He says I'm confusing it with something else.
    He knows better than I do what the asphalt smells like.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  19. #19

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Wow! Closer to Leather Oud than BM? LO is so very far from BM! If it's anything like these descriptions why do some say they're the same perfume! I think I have smelled it two years ago off the cap and spicy patchouli is all I recall which almost makes sense now that you are telling this... But about BM to me it does have transition and in the dry down the leather note smells for lack of a better word gasoline-y. While yes the opening has a sweetness in it. There is no musk to my nose Idk maybe the creamy nature can be a very clean warm musk?

    Another thing about the note pyramids: we all know it's for the most part marketing crap right? Some notes actually exist in their natural form but I mean of course when they mention "leather" there is no leather particles or essence in there, that doesn't even exist in perfumery........

    Anyway I like BM's salty sultry nature so now if Songe doesn't offer that part I may not like it as much!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Being here in a different situation-namely having tested and enjoyed Songe d'un Bois d'Ete without having taken the opportunity to buy this in due time-the more eager to test the so far personally unknown/untested Bois Mysterieux.

    Given the still fairly good price for this particular second one, would love to know if this can provide a worthy replacement for beloved Songe d'un Bois d'Ete, almost considering a blind buy if so.
    Currently wearing: Marbert Homme by Marbert

  21. #21

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    5 hours mark

    Songe it's like an erotic affair - faint sweetness, a pinch of salt and skin (not leather).
    Bois it's all musk. That's it.
    Boring musk from start to finish.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    If it's anything like these descriptions why do some say they're the same perfume!
    Well, that's your business now, not mine.
    I used my own nose, I told you my opinion.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  22. #22

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    5 hours mark

    Songe it's like an erotic affair - faint sweetness, a pinch of salt and skin (not leather).
    Bois it's all musk. That's it.
    Boring musk from start to finish.


    Well, that's your business now, not mine.
    I used my own nose, I told you my opinion.
    I like both but yes, Songe dries down to the same oud note in the old Dior Leather Oud before reformulation, Songe to a salty musk with some ambroxan

  23. #23
    Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Here I am.
    Posts
    11,606

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Songe is definitely close to Leather Oud. More refined, but after the top notes burn off (the myrrh and jasmine, etc. ) it feels like Leather Oud without the beeswax and civet. The animalics are more from cumin than anything truly animalic.

    Nothing salty and no musk in Songe to my nose.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    So it shares the Oud with LO and not the leather? I can't imagine it right now, BM smells nothing like the older bolder LO, can anyone tell if this has the same hot sour neck skin scent taste of Bois? I can think of some aspects of BM as maybe ambergiris but nothing like a Sauvage Ambroxan. And I have to admit I'm a little confused because some of these descriptions are not what I get in BM specially the huge amount of musk.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    And of course thank you all for your time and help, I'll either ask for a decant and pay two shippings or just get the whole thing, too confused to decide rn.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    I'll try it again tomorrow. Let's pretend it had a dubious reaction to the traces of the perfume I wore yesterday.
    I know for shure I didn't wear anything on that wrist yesterday, but let's just say I suffered from temporary amnesia.

    I was also interested in buying a bottle of Bois Mysterieux as a back-up for Songe. That's why I bought the sample, not to laugh at it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    The animalics are more from cumin than anything truly animalic.

    Nothing salty and no musk in Songe to my nose.
    Exactly. Something like a leathery cumin. That's the erotic/skin part.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

  27. #27
    Dependent deltasun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    4,527

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    And of course thank you all for your time and help, I'll either ask for a decant and pay two shippings or just get the whole thing, too confused to decide rn.
    I had a sample of Songe a while before having a sample of Bois Mysterieux, so my impressions are even farther off than Emmanuel, for example. However, I remember liking Songe for its uniqueness and while all the while getting a cadaver-like scent in Bois Mysterieux. That's mostly what I remember - wanting to pick up Songe (which I didn't when I had the chance) and not wanting at all to do with BM.
    Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
    All kill their inspiration and sing about the grief

  28. #28
    Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Here I am.
    Posts
    11,606

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    So it shares the Oud with LO and not the leather? I can't imagine it right now, BM smells nothing like the older bolder LO, can anyone tell if this has the same hot sour neck skin scent taste of Bois? I can think of some aspects of BM as maybe ambergiris but nothing like a Sauvage Ambroxan. And I have to admit I'm a little confused because some of these descriptions are not what I get in BM specially the huge amount of musk.
    I don't really get much leather from Leather Oud either, although I guess both LO and Songe are kind of leathery. My focus always goes to all those bone dry notes (the synthetic agarwood, patchouli, cumin, etc.)
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I don't really get much leather from Leather Oud either, although I guess both LO and Songe are kind of leathery. My focus always goes to all those bone dry notes (the synthetic agarwood, patchouli, cumin, etc.)
    Oh I work with leather and LO does a great job at making a rough realistic wet soft saddle leather, not the typical half-assed smoky accord most designers do (which is more leatherette/rubber than any form of genuine leather) LO's not even the leather than you find in designer fashion or waxed bridle leather... Not unlike oud (which also often gets torn into different woody smoky accords) this type of leather alone is a complex scent that has different doses of musky, honey, even metallic or blood, sticky, smoky, sultry aspects in itself, much of the stink first LO is known for is that realistic saddle leather alone, I think sometimes we get used to perfume interpretations of a note that we forget how it really smells like. Of course Dior puts some of these notes that end up shaping this saddle leather accord as well as the imaginary leather note itself, which makes no sense, well I always think of leather in perfumery as an "accord" it's only marketing when they put it in a pyramid as a "note"...

    Okay! With this long leather rant out of my system, you guys hating/not caring for Bois and loving Songe may mean that a lover of BM may hate Songe! So I will only get a decant and see how it goes, again thank you all fellow Basenoters.

  30. #30
    Dependent NickZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,998
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Songe an upgrade on Bois Mysterieux?

    The descriptions of Songe here dont make a great deal of sense. Not one mention of saffron???

    Songe has a big cardamom opening and settles on a spicy combination of saffron and bay leaf that all sits atop non-descript woods.

    It smells absolutely nothing like Leather Oud, which is a rich barnyard oud and leather bomb.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator




Similar Threads

  1. Bois Mysterieux... Laurel Yatagan?
    By Torvo in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31st January 2020, 07:52 PM
  2. *NEW* Guerlain Bois Mystérieux (2019)
    By Vinrambo09 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 18th December 2019, 12:49 AM
  3. Bois Mysterieux - Latest Guerlain Release in the Series!
    By hednic in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18th April 2019, 02:33 AM
  4. Guerlain SONGE D'UN BOIS D'ÉTÉ
    By UngerWoo in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 14th January 2013, 05:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000