Code of Conduct
    Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

Default Chanel Sycamore EDP or...?

I just received a sample of the current Sycamore EDP with a purchase from Chanel.

It’s really quite intoxicating, very chic and ‘expensive’ smelling - it started out very sherbert-fizzy (I guess the aldehydes) and slipped through a touch of violet (and maybe even a whisper of lavender, though I don’t see it listed so perhaps it’s the violet and cypress together) with already a faint but very present sweet, creamy undertone - the sandalwood and I think some sort of vanilla. The cypress and juniper are continually present over the rooty yet creamy vetiver, making it at once very ‘Chanel’ and yet quite balsamic and outdoorsy-feeling.

Suffice to say I’m quite taken with it, but with the limited reviews of the EDP and high price I’m hesitant to pull the trigger straight away without advice on alternatives?

I’ve ordered a bottle of Encre Noire a l’Extreme for cheap online but what else should I sample - Vetiver Tonka?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Guy

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: Chanel Sycamore EDP or...?

I think it's very different to other vetivers. If you like it that much, I'd suggest get hold of a 5-10 ml decant which should help you decide.

I can foresee a lot of posts suggesting you to go for Sycomore EdT, but given that it's been discontinued for a few years and is prohibitively expensive, that is just not worth the hassle.

In my experience, there are others in the genre but non quite like Sycomore. My advice is to save and accept no other. I've been wanting to pull the trigger for a long time.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Haven't tried the EDP. The EDT is gorgeous.

Encre Noire à l'Extrême has a similar feeling but is more rough-edged.

Basenotes Plus

I’ve been meaning to try the EDP, probably going to buy a sample and decide at $250 for 75ml one needs to know for sure if they enjoy it.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I’ve been meaning to try the EDP, probably going to buy a sample and decide at $250 for 75ml one needs to know for sure if they enjoy it.
    Almost gave me a heart attack, it's still $200. Come on now.
    Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
    All kill their inspiration and sing about the grief

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Almost gave me a heart attack, it's still $200. Come on now.
    Whoops, lol I must have mistaken it for Guerlain Derdy that I also have on my mind haha. $200 ain’t so bad I hope to aquire it soon after a sample.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

As others were saying, I don't think you'll find things that can substitute for the original. Encre Noire has a similar structure of vetiver plus woods, but the woods in the base feel synthetic and the whole thing is not as refined-it's good on its own, but you won't think refined and chic. Vetiver tonka, and similar vetiver that use sweet or warm materials in the base, lose all the zing and vigor to my nose, and fall flat.

Recommend trying Diptyque Vetyverio which is in a similar ballpark imo

Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, very helpful. I’m not averse to spending wheres there’s no alternative (I just replaced my bottle of Diaghilev) but wondered if anything might come close. I have worn the original Encre Noir but find it quite dissimilar and wondered if the l’Extreme or others might come close. Further suggestions very welcome, but I fear I may have to pull the trigger on this one!

Hope you’re all safe and well,

Guy

While Sycamore is already a great choice, also adding Cuir Vetiver by Yves Rocher, Lanvin Vetyver (especially if still somehow available below/beyond vintage hypes and thus price gouging), Etro Vetiver, Eau de Vetyver by l'Occitane, Ginepro Nero by l'Erbolario, TDH Eau Intense Vetiver, Loewe Solo Vetiver and/or Azzaro Pure Vetiver (if this might be overpriced, Visit and/or Bright Visit by the same house as decent value for money options).

Most of these (excepting perhaps the Etro, Lanvin and to a lesser extent Azzaro scents more prone to limited quantities) being bargain-level or averagely priced, while covering a fascinating array from simple but never vulgar nor plain, rather down to earth and indeed realistic vetivers, but also with complex arrays of spice, creaminess and/or subtlety artfully rendered.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

I think if you've sampled it, and liked it, you should hold out for a bottle. I'd get the big one. I'm betting it would age well.

Yes, buy the 200 ml bottle. There is no substitute. There almost never is, really.

I own Sycamore EDP and think it is wonderful. I have not smelled anything similar that is of the same high quality. It is my second favorite vetiver after only Dior Vetiver. Some days I even prefer Sycamore to the Dior.

Sillage Monster

Another option might be Woody Perfecto.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.
    Currently wearing: Olène by Diptyque

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by itsthepens View Post
    Suffice to say I’m quite taken with it
    Save until you are ready and then get it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Own the original EdT: love it!

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I think it's very different to other vetivers. If you like it that much, I'd suggest get hold of a 5-10 ml decant which should help you decide.

I can foresee a lot of posts suggesting you to go for Sycomore EdT, but given that it's been discontinued for a few years and is prohibitively expensive, that is just not worth the hassle.
    Only the EDT is worth considering but given the increasing premium that it now has it might be out of price range for some.

Other vetivers to consider: Guerlain Vetiver, Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire, and Elie Saab Vetiver. Dior Vetiver is also good but it's been discontinued as well.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

One of the best. I’m lucky to own edp and edt

Get the EDP and don't look back, longevity is very good and nothing comes close to this. Encre Noir Extreme is similar but with an "inky" opening and subpar projection and longevity in comparison.
    Currently wearing: Nobile by Gucci