Code of Conduct

Default Ropion's time paradox

Okay, this is more fun than serious, what is the fragrance that you would take back in time to your long past self (before collecting) to blow yourself away?!

Mine would be Superstitious by FM, I think a teenager me would feel weak in the knees and consider this the Holy Grail he was never looking for
    Last edited by blackaroma; 2nd June 2020 at 09:15 PM.
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Default Re: Ropion's time paradox

A couple that I thought were so impressive on first sniff would have worked just as well at a much younger age, I think: Chanel Egoiste and Balenciaga Ho Hang Club. These have youthful energy to me. My son just turned 15, and Egoiste is right in his comfort zone. I think I can get him in Ho Hang Club before high school is out.

I also like giving him a chance to try the stuff coming out now, Bleu de Chanel parfum and the new Dior Homme, for example.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Gengis Khan
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The latest addition to my collection: Casamorati Mefisto Gentiluomo.

Not just a barbershop fragrance... but one that precisely transports me back to the barbershop of my preschool years, right down to the sandalwood talc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Missing Oakmoss

L'Heure Bleue

Jubilation XXV for me I think. The perfect gateway drug to the type of fragrances I eventually gravitated towards in my journey.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Yuzu by Nicolaï

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I appreciate my drugstore/Avon introduction to fragrances because it gives me perspective on all the uber niche luxury stuff everyone here takes as the ultimate in perfumery.

But, that having been said, knowing the smell of Green Irish Tweed at 16 would have helped me figure out how much I love violet and galbanum a lot sooner.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Leather by Avon

Basenotes Plus

If I'd smelled 1872 as a young man, I've had spent many more years on my fragrance journey.

OTOH, if I'd smelled Green Irish Tweed, I'd have sworn off fragrances for life and saved a boatload of money.

There's something to be said for either.

In those days Halfeti by Penhaligons probably would have floored me. Knowing what I know now I would probably take back El by Arquiste. Extremely sexy, animalistic but as clean as can be.

Would also include a short note with the bottle that read ‘That scent you like but couldn’t put your finger on is clary sage’. Would have saved me years back then.

Vintage Cool Water still stands up even today. Guess I was onto something back then and would send a few bottles of that to now too.

Interesting question...I'd have to say either Norne or Fille en Aiguilles would have knocked me out of my shoes...in a good way!

Straight to Heaven.

Sillage Monster

I think Tam Dao would have blown me away in my youth. Back then I wore Yardley Lavender, Royal Secret, headshop patchouli oil, and occasionally Emeraude.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Basenotes Plus

Plenty of mind-blowing pre-reformulation stuff from the designer range even back when I was a kid. Still, something like Rising Phoenix Sicilian Vanilla Attar Or ALD Siberian Musk could no doubt turn heads (and noses).
    Currently wearing: Diaghilev by Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    OTOH, if I'd smelled Green Irish Tweed, I'd have sworn off fragrances for life and saved a boatload of money.
    What a refreshing statement -- GIT gets too much love here for my liking

Samsara and Dune (women)
    Currently wearing: Roses Vanille by Mancera

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Straight to Heaven.
    If you like StH and like the animalics in HL, then you should try Ursa by Terenzi.
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    What a refreshing statement -- GIT gets too much love here for my liking
    I’ve been open about my dislike of it, but I don’t begrudge anyone their affection. It’s like Sheik loving Cool Water: I can’t abide it, but I’m glad he’s happy with it. You either like dihydromyrcenol or you don’t.

Likely Chevignon Brand, New Spirit by Oriflame, Paco Energy, Adidas Classic/Class Blue and Adidas Dynamic/Dynamic Pulse among the fragrances first owned and bought from own money.

While there is also a second category of scents did like since (almost day one) of this hobby or even long before being aware of this did not own back then, but always wanted to own at some point that can bring up such memories including:

Azzaro PH, Antaeus, Esencia Loewe, Armani Eau pour Homme, Spazio Krizia, Ungaro II, Joint by Roccobarocco, Pavarotti pour Homme, Davidoff Relax, Bogart Force Majeure, Versace Black Jeans and a further scent by Roccobarocco, namely Jeans.
    Currently wearing: 1881 Amber by Cerruti

Diorissimo. It was around when I was a teen, but I didn't run across it until many years later, and immediately loved it.

Silver mountain water , it would've blown me away as a teenager.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Tam Dao and 2 Man

These shattered my conception that fragrances had to be "perfumey" and smell like that miasma one encounters in the fragrance section of department stores. I suspect they would have done the same thing to teenage-perfume-hating-me as well because I did like incense and sandalwood, etc.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.