Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Do you wear female fragrances?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a Straight Male, I wear them often

11 14.47%
  • I'm a Straight Male, sometimes I wear them

35 46.05%
  • I'm a Straight Male, I never wear them

24 31.58%
  • I'm an LGBT Male, I wear them often

2 2.63%
  • I'm an LGBT Male, sometimes I wear them

4 5.26%
  • I'm an LGBT Male, I never wear them

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Men wearing Female Fragrances: What is the big deal?

Art is universal; even though themes can be more androcentric or gynocentric, works of art are not gender-labelled. A woman can easily put a replica of Titian’s “Venus of Urbino” on the wall of her home, and a straight man can put a replica of khnopff's "The Sphinx, or The Caresses" on his. Beethoven is probably more "masculine" and explosive than Debussy or Erik Satie. But there is not a strict rule for the appreciation of art regarding genders.

But perfumes have gender. They are, most of the time, labelled either Male or Female fragrances. That seems to be unfair. Is there a rule about how a man should smell? Why? Where did it come from?

Another question also arises: is the LGBT crowd more prone to experiment?

Therefore I ask you: Do you routinely wear female fragrances too, or is it something rare? Do you do it at all?

What is your opinion about it?

(don't feel obligated to tell about your Orientation on the written responses to the post).
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Men wearing Female Fragrances: What is the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    Do you do it at all?
    I do not.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

No big deal here. I'm a straight male and I wear them often. Never consider the marketing or other people's perceptions, only personal enjoyment.

I usually don't want to smell overly feminine, but there are a few that, despite leaning a bit feminine, I wear occasionally because they are so good.

I think it is pretty rare now to find strictly male / female scents - it seems most are just listed as unisex. Let the wearer decide if it is for himself or herself, or itself or whatever.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

All depends on the scent. I usually wear what i like at the same time i am aware what suits me and my personaluty and what doesnt. I can wear POAL but cant wear Coco Madmoiselle. It just doesnt suit me. Wear what you like but dont be offended if people either wont like it, or comment that it doesnt suit you.

Most of my gender specific perfumes are marketed pour Femmes. I'm a boxer, kickboxer, tattoo artist, biker and this may give you the picture of the male friends I have so I know what you mean as I've seen some of the most insecure "masculine" men you can't even imagine, they don't even say the word "perfume" worrying their D would seem smaller! They are so careful to call it "cologne" or "aftershave", in those friends that I've seen first hand I don't think it's about feminine scent profiles as much as it's a insecurity:

so I don't find scent profiles gender-exclusive (why should I?) and even those who do, wear DHI which is a "stereotypically feminine" scent just because the bottle says "Homme" and it's hilarious to me that someone would need a word on the bottle to justify wearing what he likes!

Belonging to the first 1-2 categories mentioned in this poll, never had any problems wearing and would not advise against men wearing certain feminine fragrance.
    If and as long as they (myself included, of course at the risk of being personal and subjective) consider that these fragrances can be unisex or at least unisex enough.
    Currently wearing: Marbert Homme by Marbert

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

There isn't a big deal, but inevitably someone will stomp in here and make it one.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Moustache by Rochas

It's not a big deal. I just don't take the time to even try any women's perfumes. I don't have the time or inclination to check out women's perfumes when there are so many marketed towards men or marketed as unisex that I still have yet to check out. I have to focus myself somehow.

I'll wear something like Carnal Flower with no problem, though. I love to wear it when I'm wearing white.
    Currently wearing: Mitzah by Christian Dior

I wear what I like, and I don’t find wearing female fragrances to be a big deal as in my experience, most fragrances marketed towards men lean feminine.
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

There isn’t one.

This question comes up in various ways quite often on the forum and the responses are often the same. There is usually a group saying all fragrances have gender yada yada. There is another saying they don’t yada yada.

I am straight and I’ve never felt the need to wear women’s fragrances. I also don’t think men that choose not to wear women’s fragrances are in any way insecure. Wear what you like.

The discussions that happen in the forum happen in their own little microcosm and don’t reflect what happens in the non-fragrance enthusiast world. Most of the men and women I know don’t cross-wear fragrances. I’ve asked many of them about this and the gist of it is that most of the gents want to smell like “a man” and most of the ladies want to smell like a “sexy” woman and I don’t think that is at all odd. It’s also not unusual for them to own less than a handful of bottles.

Bottom line is I enjoy the smell of women's fragrances too, I just don’t want to smell of them.
    Currently wearing: Él by Arquiste

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    There isn’t one.

This question comes up in various ways quite often on the forum and the responses are often the same. There is usually a group saying all fragrances have gender yada yada. There is another saying they don’t yada yada.

I am straight and I’ve never felt the need to wear women’s fragrances. I also don’t think men that choose not to wear women’s fragrances are in any way insecure. Wear what you like.

The discussions that happen in the forum happen in their own little microcosm and don’t reflect what happens in the non-fragrance enthusiast world. Most of the men and women I know don’t cross-wear fragrances. I’ve asked many of them about this and the gist of it is that most of the gents want to smell like “a man” and most of the ladies want to smell like a “sexy” woman and I don’t think that is at all odd. It’s also not unusual for them to own less than a handful of bottles.

Bottom line is I enjoy the smell of women's fragrances too, I just don’t want to smell of them.
    My sentiments pretty much mirror the Sheik. I've not smelled many women's perfumes but the ones I have smelled I would not wear.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

My subconscious crossdresses through female perfumes.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama

Basenotes Plus

In the past, I wouldn't have thought I'd wear "feminine" fragrances; but having tried a number of them through swaps and syncs, familiarized myself with various accords (esp. vintage), and observed divergent comments about specific fragrances, it's become readily apparent to me that notions of gender in fragrance are as subjective as anything else. No doubt my personal aversion to certain scents hinges on cultural gender biases I've assumed subconsciously, yet it doesn't bother me if other guys wear them. Anyway, I'll try almost any fragrance once, and I'm open to being surprised by my own response to it—positive or negative. I learn from the scents I don't like as much as from those I do, so no day of trying something new is wasted.
    Currently wearing: Bijan for Men by Bijan

Why are we having this conversation again? It's been done ten thousand times before.

I don't care if a perfume is marketed for men or for women, but if it smells feminine to me I won't wear it. It's no something I want to smell of and there's a 99% chance I'll get tired of the scent during the wearing. Same thing with fragrances that smell too sweet to me, or chemical, or too strong/intense, etc.

I have smelled several men's perfumes that have feminine vibes but I haven't smelled any women's perfume that doesn't smell feminine yet. For instance, Bandit, which is usually mentioned as a crossgender fragrance, is clearly a feminine scent to me.

I'm a straight male who sometimes wears feminine fragrances, although it's infrequent.
    Currently wearing: Hard Leather by LM Parfums

Blog Entries

While some perfume is art, it should not be forgotten that all perfume is first and foremost an adornment, unlike the paintings referred to by the OP.

And as such, many choose to wear perfume to express themselves, as they have done with adornments since the beginning of civilisation. Perfume isn’t just created for a man (or woman), each male perfume is catered to different types of men, or the same man in a different situation. Now there is nothing to stop a man wearing Guerlain’s Heritage in their pyjamas while eating a second packet of chips on the couch, but I think we all accept, somewhere deep down beyond our biases, that Heritage was created for a well-dressed gentleman amongst people.

The trend towards unisex perfumes is manufacturer driven, make no mistake, because executives feel uneasy developing fragrance for men in the 21st century. They question whether they want to stoke the fires of masculinity, when so much toxicity is associated with it. So it’s far more comfortable for young executives to continue to create for women but turn men onto unisex creations in their prive lines. So even something as traditionally masculine as Tom Ford’s Tobacco Oud is now unisex. And even when the manufacturers acknowledge the gender divide, it is often hidden, as Armani did with “Stronger with You”.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Rocabar by Hermès

It isn't a big deal: I wear what I like!
    Currently wearing: Eucris by Geo F Trumper

Straight male who loves Shalimar and Mitsouko and strong jasmine scents. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    TMost of the men and women I know don’t cross-wear fragrances. I’ve asked many of them about this and the gist of it is that most of the gents want to smell like “a man”

What is written on the box doesn;t mean anything. No way Guerlain L'Instant EDP/Extreme or Dior Homme Intense could have been marketed towards men 30-40 years ago. Because these are basically feminine sold to men today. Coromandel is supposedly a unisex, but clearly smell feminine. And many guys have no problem pulling them off.
    Currently wearing: Oud Assam by Rania J

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    Therefore I ask you: Do you routinely wear female fragrances too, or is it something rare? Do you do it at all?
    What about men that pull off female fragrances just because it's written "for men" on the box? (ie. L'Instant de Guerlain EDP or Dior Homme Intense) Or the opposite (ie. Chanel No.19 or Gres Cabochard?)

Note that my question is willingfully provocative to underline that smells have an orientation only at a precise period of time or regions in the world (cultural). But given the current melting pot of cultures, trends, fashion, and globalisation, it doesn;t mean anything anymore. Except for some individual out of a bad 80's movie, but that's a different story.
    Currently wearing: Oud Assam by Rania J

Basenotes Plus

I am Biologically Male.

At my age, my view generally, is that Perfume is Genderless, so I wear across the range.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

I don't wear female fragrances because - they are not my taste or to my likeing.
    Currently wearing: Great Britain by Roja Dove

I don't actively seek out women's perfumes. There's enough to explore on the masculine and unisex side. But I also wouldn't discount a scent just because it's marketed to women. There's no specific notes, etc. that make me feel out of place (i.e., I'm wearing women's perfume!), but the experience itself or composition itself does it. So, I have to actually wear it or sniff it to know it's gone over too far on the feminine side for me to wear. Only a few have done that so far - Cap Neroli and Alien, off the top of my head.
    Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
    All kill their inspiration and sing about the grief

I am a straight male. I love all perfumes, some more some less.
    I love women smelling good and I know lots of feminine perfumes smell good on me but not because I have worn them.
    I wouldn’t wear a feminine perfume by choice because I have so many masculines I practically never have the opportunity to wear.
    I don’t think that smelling like a woman is “gay”.
    I have entered a lot of rooms smelling like a woman and trust me nobody took me for a gay.
    I hope that answers your questions.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I usually don't want to smell overly feminine, but there are a few that, despite leaning a bit feminine, I wear occasionally because they are so good.

I think it is pretty rare now to find strictly male / female scents - it seems most are just listed as unisex. Let the wearer decide if it is for himself or herself, or itself or whatever.
    This sums up my thoughts. I have a few scents in my wardrobe that lean feminine, but they are close enough to unisex that I don't mind. Shanghai Lily is possibly the most paradoxical piece of fragrance art when it comes to trying to figure out the intended gender. They marketed it to women, but for me those spices and clove notes have some body hair on them. Women certainly can pull off the fragrance due to the floral portion though. It's a perfect example of a confusing scent, which is probably why it didn't sell as well as they hoped. I think that confusing aspect makes it possibly the most artistically original fragrances ever made. A masterpiece. And it undeniably smells addictive and beautifully strong. I don't think Tom Ford marketed it correctly and if it were my company, I'd take loses just to make sure it was available to buy because it should be a scent the public enjoys. And it has such a mysterious vibe to the scent too. Just a great creation. If I ever ran into Antoine Maisondieu and had a chance to talk, it would be about Shanghai Lily.

No I don't, but there are a few that I like and would wear.
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Any big deal, I wear regularly feminine scents as Donna Karan Black Cashmere, Costume National Scent Intense (initially marketed as feminine but leaning towards the masculine side imo), Poeme Lancóme, Estee Lauder Cinnabar, Clinique Aromatics Elixir, Ysl Opium, Fendi ....just cause I love them.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I like a scent and it suits me, I'll wear it regardless of whatever the label may say.

In many cases, gender classification is about marketing. Black Orchid is the perfect example. It was labelled as feminine until somebody at Tom Ford realized a lot of men were wearing it, so they changed the label to unisex and started stocking at in the men's counter too... and they sell more bottles.

Most of my wardrobe is unisex. I don't think I own anything labelled as feminine, but it wouldn't bother me if I did. A while back, a BNer sent me some unlabelled samples to blind sniff (they were just labelled A, B, C, etc). Two of them were feminine. Fate Woman and Interlude Woman. They were both great & I wore 'em until the last drop was gone. Blind sampling is the best!!! It's so much fun to try something with absolutely no expectations and only be able to judge it based on what you smell, not what the notes say you should smell or who the label says it's meant for. Fun, fun, fun!!!

...come to think of it, isn't Coromandel labelled as feminine? That stuff is great.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Endymion
    Rose 31
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Prada L'Homme
    Tom Ford Extreme