Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Do you wear female fragrances?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a Straight Male, I wear them often

19 18.27%
  • I'm a Straight Male, sometimes I wear them

46 44.23%
  • I'm a Straight Male, I never wear them

28 26.92%
  • I'm an LGBT Male, I wear them often

4 3.85%
  • I'm an LGBT Male, sometimes I wear them

6 5.77%
  • I'm an LGBT Male, I never wear them

1 0.96%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Men wearing Female Fragrances: What is the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Now masculinity is a dirty word and fragrance houses are desperate to sweep their men’s ranges under the carpet.
    Interesting. I'd never really thought of this - fragrance seemed like one of the last bastions of male...hmmm...idealism, perhaps? Of celebrating/fetishising a form of strong masculinity and maleness. But for sure, masculinity has been branded a dirty idea - any brand, in fact nearly anyone who is trying to convince the public of something even if they have no merchandise, relies on appealing to women in the present day. The days of Lynx/Axe adverts are long gone - that niche has been taken by Jeremy i.e. it's no longer acceptable in the mainstream but has to retreat to the internet - in place of the facile Gillette scolding instead. Without really noticing, yeah, there aren't many fragrances literally branding themselves on masculinity, are there? Gucci is well and truly signed up to gender fluidity - Harry Styles and Jarded Leto, both of whom have 'performed' as queer in one degree or another.

One thing I find repteatedly interesting - and something I picked up somewhat passively from Jordan Peterson who, love him or loathe him, is at least grounded in outcomes and statistics rather than the puritanical utopianism of social constructivism - is that the more you institutionally and socially erase sex and gender based differences, the more men and women adhere to 'stereotypical' sex and gender based behaviour. Or, in short, if you try to tell men and women 'do what you want there's no such thing as the gender binary', men and women end up propping up and extending the gender binary.

And I think that's none truer - or at least seems obvious, to me - when looking at fragrances.

Yes, the market changed in the 90s to create all sorts of smells that honed in on 'what men are' in scent terms i.e. the aquatics. And these differed a lot to what had gone before, but also what were 'women's fragrances' of that time, too. On the one hand you could see this as, I dunno, society suddenly regressing to become vastly more sexist; on the other, you could see it as improving market research and the corporate ability to get to the heart of what people want, time after time, and producing accordingly. The aquatic trend alone is excellent evidence for there being explicit differences in taste according to gender yet, at the same time, it's also market driven, concoted in boardrooms, and the current gourmand trend - i.e. making vanilla fragrances women love, that men will buy/wear because they love them - shows that you can also influence men (with the carrot of sex appeal) to wear very much 'non masculine' things, too. So perhaps that's not the most solid of footing - though I still believe it wholeheartedly, I just cba to labour the point.

Perhaps more tellingly, this seems true in the world of the fragcomm: largely unburdened from the basic marketing tactics and strategies of the mass selling designers. We're an altogether more thoughtful and reasonable lot...for the most part. And yet the fascination with masculines - not least old school masculinity in the form of the fougere - seems never higher. I am stealing this excellent quote from @hellbentforleather who I hope doesn't mind, which he wrote in the fougere thread:

"So this fougére renaissance of sorts is basically the frag world's version of the trucker hat in the 00s, big beards, overpriced workwear as haute couture, and good year welted logging boot$? A simulacra of rugged masculinity when actual masculinity is at a premium given our sedentary lives, it's reduction to Affliction shirts, society's vilification and dismissal of its nuances and benefits? I'm forced to reconsider my life and my new found love of Beau de Jour."

Clearly, in this age of ever-increasingly social transgression and the erosion of the old ideas on gender and people, men - in spite of the apparent logic of gender theory - are indeed not merely more unhappy/unfulfilled (suicide rates are largely the same to 30-40 years ago while female suicides have halved), but are pining for the lost masculinity (or perhaps more fittingly, for socially and individually not being allowed, or being able, to self actualise as a masculine, competent man)...even in something as so obviously non-masculine as fragrance. Perhaps it's not even that - you could always argue there's a form of 'performativity' there, trying to 'live up' to the idea of something, even an antiquated idea of masculinity, too: in which case, perhaps it's as simple as 'I don't want to smell of something that women can/commonly wear.' Which I think would support the idea that, when you erase gender, you just reinforce it.

It seems to me there has literally always been room for gender 'disruption' or queering - not least in culture (theatre is centuries old) but also perfumery. There's always been men who can and do wear what they want - and perhaps the present day has allowed a lot more room for many men, particularly straight men, to feel unbridled from some social pressure and expectation. Yet I do wonder if there isn't a massive 'missing of the point' by not just brands, but obviously some of us here, too. Beau de Jour has been massively popular for good reason: one thing Tom Ford 'gets', I feel, is a facet of masculinity and maleness, and he absolutely knows how to sell it. While he's not solely responsible for BdJ, of course, after years of fairly hit and miss unisex scents, and several branded as male in the Noir line, BdJ has enough chat among men online that, clearly, it's about to become incredibly profitable for the brand. I think more generally, on the topic of commercial aims, unisex is an obvious, easy, lazy, and (in my opinion) philosophically facile means of attempting to double or at least increase your customer base: sport is a great example here. In an era where TV/internet coverage is so good many traditional spectator sports are struggling - particularly as prices soar. The answer? It's not to introduce new people to the sport, create an amateur base for the sake of health, culture etc, who will in turn become your paying supporters/customers: it's to create 'new' commercial sports by pumping money in to the women's game, where playing numbers are miniscule and (in certain sports) female viewerships/attendance is likewise. Why do this then? Simple. Not only are women now more educated than and outearning men beneath late 30s/40s, thus more capital, and not only do they control the purse strings in households, but you can simply get men - the traditional demographic for spectator sport - to simply watch 'new' and 'more' by convincing their female partners to watch it, among other things. Over time we'll have to see the long term impacts of course on how this translates to sustainability but the management motivation is simple: quick money can be had by putting women's wants/needs front and centre, which in turn means minimising men's, and then saying it's unisex/non gendered. Without even touching on the quality of the product, that's the corporate answer to growth in a western market that is losing its expendable income: massive, short term gains by appealing to everyone...but only if you get it right. In fragrant terms...I'm not sure it's really worked all that well. Outside of people who collect bottles online, i.e. us, men have lapped up the ambroxan bomb that is Sauvage - a grandchild of the aquatic trend in the 90s. Again, at a time when gender differences are apparently 'fusing' or disappearing, this seemingly tiny aspect of identity/style tends to reinforce the fact that - even allowing for a significant portion of men who can and do choose different options - many men are much happier with the notion that, yes, they are men, and that that means something. Even if that idea is, apparently, dirty.

I find the enthusiasm with which the social constructivist theories on sex/gender have been applauded in this thread worrying, to say the least, but don't want to steer the thread in that direction - I feel I've already done enough to take it off track. However, if PStoller (or anyone else) wishes to respond in the thread I linked above (or even start a new one) that would be more fitting to have that type of discussion, if there is any appetite for it, though I suspect there isn't.

In short: there never really was a big deal. Fragrance itself was surely a far bigger deal for men when it came to avoiding social pressure than the 'type'. Males have always worn hyper feminine scents: it's just perhaps now more straight and 'conforming' men are more open to trying and wearing fragrances that are made to much less formal templates. That would be a big thing I'd focus on: partly inspired by the samples I've been tried at the moment (Sacred Wood, Molecule 04) I can't help but feel there's just some lazy dross being put to market, barely half formed ideas presented as final cuts, and the formality of fragrance 'types' and structures is what's really changing. The corporate 'genius' is to both appeal to a pastiche of gendered branding - Lost Cherry - as well as the growing unisex trend.

However, I don't think there's really a big deal, and probably never was. That said...big deal aside...I just don't agree with the idea that there aren't some fundamental differences when it comes to what (a good proportion, not all) men like - and what they dislike - that we can comfortably 'interrogate' without relying on non binary gender theory to explain how/why we like them. And neither contradicts the other: it can both not be a big deal for men to wear feminines, as well as the fact that a lot of men never would wear feminines.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    11. No. 22 - 7
    Excellent.
    "Once you label me, you negate me." --Søren Kierkegaard

Freed from BN Institution

I wear what I like regardless of what spectrum the scent falls in marketing.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I find the enthusiasm with which the social constructivist theories on sex/gender have been applauded in this thread worrying, to say the least, but don't want to steer the thread in that direction - I feel I've already done enough to take it off track. However, if PStoller (or anyone else) wishes to respond in the thread I linked above (or even start a new one) that would be more fitting to have that type of discussion, if there is any appetite for it, though I suspect there isn't.
    You had your shot and you blew it, already got called out for stomping in and making a big deal out of this topic, and now you present us with this diatribe which resembles a stream of consciousness. Just make a new thread already if you're so desperate for engagement.

Quote Originally Posted by Celinman View Post
    You had your shot and you blew it
    Hi again little buddy. Didn't realise posting on basenotes was some type of X Factor audition but there we are, learn something every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Celinman View Post
    You had your shot and you blew it, already got called out for stomping in and making a big deal out of this topic, and now you present us with this diatribe which resembles a stream of consciousness. Just make a new thread already if you're so desperate for engagement.
    He can speak here like anyone else and he’s made some fair points. Whether everyone agrees with them can be discussed.

If the title of the thread was “Men wearing Female Fragrances” instead of “Men wearing Female Fragrances: What’s the big deal?”, it wouldn’t have been a big deal. People can wear what they want to. By adding “What’s the big deal?” implies it’s a big deal, but starting a thread about this the OP obviously thought it was a big deal enough to be discussed.

If you want to wear them, wear them, if you don’t want to wear them then don’t. No one will think badly of you one way or the other.

Basenotes Plus

When we find other points of view “worrying,” we should be unsurprised if those holding them feel the same about ours. This does not justify calls to muzzle those with whom we disagree. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Blog Entries

Good and interesting points, slpfrsly. The yin/yang slide I initially posted is from a Dr. Peterson lecture, as it happens.

The thing about gender is that it's always been representative of a choice. Post modernism has taken that and run with it, but even when gender was a sort of euphemism for sex, it still meant socially assigned choices.
    "Once you label me, you negate me." --Søren Kierkegaard

I'm interested in continuing this discussion. I find it fascinating. But I didn't find the link that you mentioned.

We're such nerds But yes I take thinking through consumerism and marketing social constructs of a capitalist world over Kardashians gossip and fights over Superbowl any day...
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

I'm not so interested in what smells suit me as much as what I'd like to smell that day. So it's unpractical to walk about with a vase of flowers all day, fragrances provide me that without being encumbered. Sometimes I'll choose a scent that day for the sake of suitability but not often

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    No big deal here. I'm a straight male and I wear them often. Never consider the marketing or other people's perceptions, only personal enjoyment.
    Exactly.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    I'm interested in continuing this discussion. I find it fascinating. But I didn't find the link that you mentioned.
    Fair point, I think it was fairly well imbedded in a post over the page: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/476...t=#post4905030

I would say that, maybe, that thread is an even worse place to go off on gender and sex based differences and perfumery, but it was relevant to PStoller - particularly as it was a response to them from a few weeks ago - who thought I just didn't understand gender and sex theories, rather than disagreeing with them.

If you want to have this discussion - I'd be interested to see one, if it can be had respectfully, to read what people have to say - then it might be better on a new thread entirely?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Good and interesting points, slpfrsly. The yin/yang slide I initially posted is from a Dr. Peterson lecture, as it happens.

The thing about gender is that it's always been representative of a choice. Post modernism has taken that and run with it, but even when gender was a sort of euphemism for sex, it still meant socially assigned choices.
    Ah, interesting. I can't say I know too much about yin/yang as I'm only really getting in to Taoism and my own reading/background is based on other forms of Buddhism - though this definitely makes me want to learn more about it. Thanks for the praise. I think the key difference really being argued is: "are there sex based differences?". Postmodernity and contemporary gender theory says no; almost everyone else says yes, to a point. I would say the point I'd take from Marxism/postmodernism is - just because we can socially construct humans to behave certain ways, because we are social creatures with plastic brains, is it a good idea to do so; and if so, to what extent (i.e. what are the consequences)? And, from that - "is there are human nature?". If you believe no, then of course, everything's up for grabs - utopia on earth is possible etc. I believe there is a human nature and we can/do pervert that by making ourselves collectively and individually unhappy through ignoring, in essence, the Buddhist teachings on suffering. What has helped me conceptualise the world very differently the postmodern history I'd been taught/taught myself is how avoiding suffering is a huge motivation for people and society - and how, inadvertently, the drive to create abundance and remove want inadvertently creates other forms of suffering, but maybe that's for another time. Drawing this all the way back around to fragrance, are there sex based differences when it comes to aromas and perfume? Well, in literal terms, obviously yes (I'd make a great for this being the way male-branded fragrances of recent years semll, to me, way too feminine - iris/violet/violet leaf; overly sweet vanilla are now staples of 'masculines' yet to me, in spite of smelling good, they don't smell like perfumes I'd wear). What I think is being argued by a handful of people is that the marketisation of fragrance down both unisex and binary lines if artificial. I think that does make for an interesting discussion but perhaps on another thread (dunno, how do people/OP feel!?) - things like how consumerism plays a part in influencing behaviour, to what extent social construction interacts with perception, how men went from seeing fragrance as 'feminine' to becoming a facet of sex appeal and seduction (and in turn how much sex itself, and female approval, dictates men's attitudes to scent). Lots of interesting things can be discussed there - but on the topic of wearing feminines, yeah, I think for those who enjoy female scents there really isn't a big deal, certainly not since metrosexuality became a thing in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    When we find other points of view “worrying,” we should be unsurprised if those holding them feel the same about ours. This does not justify calls to muzzle those with whom we disagree. Quite the opposite, in fact.
    I'm confused why you mention muzzling? Aside from, obviously, being a cat...I can't see the relevance? In any case, for 'worrying' I could just as easily say 'disheartening' as both sum up my feelings. But yeah, not sure where muzzling comes from there.

Banned

Agreed for fragrances, but not all topics. (cf current news)

Basenotes Plus

I'm confused why you mention muzzling? Aside from, obviously, being a cat...I can't see the relevance? In any case, for 'worrying' I could just as easily say 'disheartening' as both sum up my feelings. But yeah, not sure where muzzling comes from there.
    I was responding to Celinman saying you’d “had your chance.” I was defending your right to continue making posts as worrisome to me as mine are to you.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Agreed for fragrances, but not all topics. (cf current news)
    Supporting the free speech of those who agree with us is easy. I don’t support the promulgation of demonstrable falsehood as fact, but I will, however grudgingly, uphold the right to express even the vilest opinion. (Which, I hasten to add, is not a characterization of any opinion voiced on this thread.)

I was responding to Celinman saying you’d “had your chance.” I was defending your right to continue making posts as worrisome to me as mine are to you.
    Ah, a fair point. I think generally speaking trolls are fairly easy to filter out for the most part but thanks in any case for the support.

Banned

Supporting the free speech of those who agree with us is easy. I don’t support the promulgation of demonstrable falsehood as fact, but I will, however grudgingly, uphold the right to express even the vilest opinion. (Which, I hasten to add, is not a characterization of any opinion voiced on this thread.)
    Being French, I can only support a Voltaire-like approach to discussions (as you said, assuming there is no falsehood). But we have to be cautious about opinions bashing "unisex fragrances", as it may be a shelter to address some unacceptable hate towards "gender bending" (and other things). Not that it has characterized any opinion in this thread, but I'd rather stay aware.

I will - again - bring up my Dior Homme Intense, LIDGE and Creed Aventus examples, in that I saw around this forum of people stating not to wear unisex-labelled fragrances, but wearing those, that have the same sweet and/or fruity notes often descibed as being "feminine" in unisex fragrances. Pretty much laughable to see people consider "masculine" a fragrance based on a label only (and worrying to read some other stuff), and same in the other direction.

Let's not ignorance-fueled hatred enter in a place that is supposed to have us forget (for a few minutes) the daily news, even when such hatred is disguised behind the bashing of "trends". (Just a general consideration, not targeting anyone nor any post)

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I think most of the white noise being generated in this thread is cognitive dissonance on both ends of the "should genders stay in their own lanes or should they mix n match" argument, channelled through the medium of fragrance discussion. My only piece on this is I wear what I want, which is what I am comfortable with, which somtimes includes products marketed to my gender or another, and if that offends anyone or sets them spiralling into some mental freefall as they fail to grapple coming to terms with people like me existing, save the argument and add me to your ignore list. Easy peasy.

Just remember that regardless of what gender perfume you wear, you still smell like perfume.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Leather by Avon

Dependent

To each it's own, I personally wear unisex fragrances, but never feminine ones as I wouldn't like to smell like a girl.

Where I'm from it's quite common to smell a feminine fragrance on a guy (usually young guys) , ive known married men that do use women's perfumes , most of the feminine fragrances they wear are fruity which goes great with hot weather .
    As for me , I usually don't. Although I got a couple of fragrances that later turned out to be marketed towards women, because of the sales guy at the store suggests feminine fragrances quite often .
    As others had said if I like it I buy , regardless of the fragrance's marketed gender.

Basenotes Plus

Being French, I can only support a Voltaire-like approach to discussions (as you said, assuming there is no falsehood). But we have to be cautious about opinions bashing "unisex fragrances", as it may be a shelter to address some unacceptable hate towards "gender bending" (and other things). Not that it has characterized any opinion in this thread, but I'd rather stay aware.…

Let's not [let] ignorance-fueled hatred enter in a place that is supposed to have us forget (for a few minutes) the daily news, even when such hatred is disguised behind the bashing of "trends". (Just a general consideration, not targeting anyone nor any post)
    I’m fairly sure you and I are on the same page. Still, I allow that such opinions may not be masking what we might think they mask—or revealing what we might think they reveal. Too, expressing a bias exposes a bias, and that has its own value.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    Obviously, I meant 1.
    1/ A fragrance marketed for women, written "for women" on the box
    OK. I would have reformulated this thread in a simplier manner then. Something like: "how do you choose what fragrances you wear? Based on packaging or on the juice?", or "Do you base your choices based on marketing or notes?"

Banned

I’m fairly sure you and I are on the same page.

Too, expressing a bias exposes a bias, and that has its own value.
    Yes, and yes!
    Obviously, here we are just talking of fragrances, so I may have overthought it, but preventing things is always better than curing things.

Basenotes Plus

Obviously, here we are just talking of fragrances, so I may have overthought it, but preventing things is always better than curing things.
    Only if we presume “things” are diseases. The application of a preemptively suppressive rationale is frequently more dangerous than that which it seeks to suppress.

Banned

Only if we presume “things” are diseases. The application of a preemptively suppressive rationale is frequently more dangerous than that which it seeks to suppress.
    Except when this rationale try to suppress hatred that lead to a death count increasing on a daily basis. But again, here we are talking about fragrances, and we're off topic here.

Basenotes Plus

Except when this rationale try to suppress hatred that lead to a death count increasing on a daily basis. But again, here we are talking about fragrances, and we're off topic here.
    I dunno, man: there are some really bad fragrances out there.

Banned

I dunno, man: there are some really bad fragrances out there.
    Well... at that point, that reinforces my view
    Imagine we could limit ambroxan, ambrarome or sugary levels like they did for many other stuff (IFRA)...

I wear all the beautiful smells, from a scent perspective limiting to male is missing at least half of what perfumery is and a lot of its beauty and art.That said when out in the world I usually conform to my gender lane. But not at home, not a little bit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast