Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Banana Republic Vintage Green: Blind-buy worthy?

This one has a lot of good reviews, and lots of YouTube traction from some reviewers. I've never smelled it, but the notes look good. I couldn't find any discussion, so wondering what are everyone's thoughts on this?

Default Re: Banana Republic Vintage Green: Blind-buy worthy?

Their whole Icon Collection is really good, and I think Vintage Green is one of the safer fragrances of the bunch. If you can find it at discount, I’d say yes, but it also depends on what’s in your collection already and what you’re expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    Their whole Icon Collection is really good, and I think Vintage Green is one of the safer fragrances of the bunch. If you can find it at discount, I’d say yes, but it also depends on what’s in your collection already and what you’re expecting.
    I'm expecting something fresh, light, green, and no sharp notes. I'm okay with low sillage and duration, as long as it lasts a few hours. I do have an oversized wardrobe that I'm very much trying to reduce. However, I do not have too many fresh fragrances.

Default Banana Republic Vintage Green: Blind-buy worthy?

Yes. 78 Vintage Green is a gorgeous Green fresh tea scent at an unbeatable price. I have longevity issues, but then again at that price you can just buy bulk and re-apply

I asked in my other thread

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/477...-Vintage-Green

whether there are longer lasting alternatives, but haven’t gotten much answers, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I can't stand this one tbh. I have been trying to get rid of my bottle forever, if you have anything you'd wanna trade for it, hmu. To me, this is a fig heavy fragrance. It's not really green in the traditional sense.. and if you're expecting any sort of powerhouse chypre (think Polo), it couldn't be further from that. It's more of a tropical sort of fragrance, with green accents.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Freed from BN Institution

Is there any way to purchase a decant for sampling purposes? If possible I strongly suggest sampling before committing to a bottle.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    ....and if you're expecting any sort of powerhouse chypre (think Polo)....
    That was EXACTLY what I was thinking when reading that alluring name, "78 Vintage Green"! A sort of modern fresh interpretation of the old Warners or Cosmairs. A kinda merging of modern and ol' school perfumery, at the least.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

It's really nice. The kind of thing Dior Homme 2020 should have been.

Neroli Woods and Oud Mosaic are the other highlights of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I'm expecting something fresh, light, green, and no sharp notes.
    Then this will suit the bill.

For the price? Yes. For someone who's only got few buck to spend on a single perfume? Absolutely. But for someone with a good collection and better made perfumes already? No it doesn't make sense. It's not that good unlike something like Yatagan that is way underpriced for what it is.

I'm expecting something fresh, light, green, and no sharp notes. I'm okay with low sillage and duration, as long as it lasts a few hours. I do have an oversized wardrobe that I'm very much trying to reduce. However, I do not have too many fresh fragrances.
    The whole line is fairly easy to wear, but Vintage Green fits your expectations quite well. Just don’t expect to be wowed too much. It’s not my favorite of the line, but that’s because others in the line are more interesting, not because it’s a bad scent. You might be able to find a sample set somewhere. BR sold them when they first came out. The others are worth exploring.

Agree with Brooks Otterlake that Oud Mosaic and Neroli Woods are nice. I also like Leather Reserve, Cypress Cedar, and the recent Tobacco and Tonka Bean.

I tried it multiple times. Although I like it, I decided I didn't enjoy it enough to get a bottle. Looking at the notes, I thought it would be a good fit. But after wearing it, it just didn't seem like me.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Fugufish View Post
    Yes. 78 Vintage Green is a gorgeous Green fresh tea scent at an unbeatable price. I have longevity issues, but then again at that price you can just buy bulk and re-apply

I asked in my other thread

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/477...-Vintage-Green

whether there are longer lasting alternatives, but haven’t gotten much answers, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can't stand this one tbh. I have been trying to get rid of my bottle forever, if you have anything you'd wanna trade for it, hmu. To me, this is a fig heavy fragrance. It's not really green in the traditional sense.. and if you're expecting any sort of powerhouse chypre (think Polo), it couldn't be further from that. It's more of a tropical sort of fragrance, with green accents.
    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Is there any way to purchase a decant for sampling purposes? If possible I strongly suggest sampling before committing to a bottle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    That was EXACTLY what I was thinking when reading that alluring name, "78 Vintage Green"! A sort of modern fresh interpretation of the old Warners or Cosmairs. A kinda merging of modern and ol' school perfumery, at the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    It's really nice. The kind of thing Dior Homme 2020 should have been.

Neroli Woods and Oud Mosaic are the other highlights of the line.

Then this will suit the bill.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    For the price? Yes. For someone who's only got few buck to spend on a single perfume? Absolutely. But for someone with a good collection and better made perfumes already? No it doesn't make sense. It's not that good unlike something like Yatagan that is way underpriced for what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    The whole line is fairly easy to wear, but Vintage Green fits your expectations quite well. Just don’t expect to be wowed too much. It’s not my favorite of the line, but that’s because others in the line are more interesting, not because it’s a bad scent. You might be able to find a sample set somewhere. BR sold them when they first came out. The others are worth exploring.

Agree with Brooks Otterlake that Oud Mosaic and Neroli Woods are nice. I also like Leather Reserve, Cypress Cedar, and the recent Tobacco and Tonka Bean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I tried it multiple times. Although I like it, I decided I didn't enjoy it enough to get a bottle. Looking at the notes, I thought it would be a good fit. But after wearing it, it just didn't seem like me.
    Guys, thank you so much for your thoughts. Thinking over it again, I'd skip this one (unless I'm able to try it at a store, which isn't happening anytime soon). I was mostly interested in it for a fresh tea scent (think Bvlgari pour Homme / Extreme or Silver Mountain Water), but it sounds like this one has quite a bit of fig. I like fig, just not what I'm after. And I already have a few ones on my wishlist and am desperately trying to reduce at the same time, so blind-buying doesn't make much sense. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    BR B&M stores sell 0.5 oz mini bottles for sampling. The Icon line often goes on sale 40-50% off in regular and outlet stores, so picking up a bottle at discount is not a problem.

No way is it blind buy worthy, I wouldn't think. I've smelled it in the shop, and it's a tiny bit fun, but no more than 30 seconds worth, I thought.

The packaging, though, seems nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    No way is it blind buy worthy, I wouldn't think. I've smelled it in the shop, and it's a tiny bit fun, but no more than 30 seconds worth, I thought.

I do think it develops nicely, but it's not revelatory.

I haven't bought it myself, which says something. I'm not sure most Basenoters would find it essential, but I think it's a great option for someone looking for a designer scent that is made with some level of care. I think the recent wave of greenish scents in the designer space (Bvlgari Wood Essence, Bvlgari Wood Neroli, Dior Homme 2020, Gucci Memoire) are inferior.

Personally, I'd find it a bit redundant with my Bvlgari pour Homme Soir, which I think is a bit more memorable, and I'd also point to Guerlain Homme EDP as a worthier option in this style. But they also cost more.

Oud Mosaic is my favorite from the house, and is perhaps the best "affordable" rose-oud around.

After reading the notes, sounds like something similar to Hermes Un Jardin en Mediteranee
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    After reading the notes, sounds like something similar to Hermes Un Jardin en Mediteranee
    It is. And the Un Jardin is better.

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom View Post
    BR B&M stores sell 0.5 oz mini bottles for sampling. The Icon line often goes on sale 40-50% off in regular and outlet stores, so picking up a bottle at discount is not a problem.
    Thanks, I'd probably look to try it at a store if I come across it, of course post quarantine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post

I do think it develops nicely, but it's not revelatory.

I haven't bought it myself, which says something. I'm not sure most Basenoters would find it essential, but I think it's a great option for someone looking for a designer scent that is made with some level of care. I think the recent wave of greenish scents in the designer space (Bvlgari Wood Essence, Bvlgari Wood Neroli, Dior Homme 2020, Gucci Memoire) are inferior.

Personally, I'd find it a bit redundant with my Bvlgari pour Homme Soir, which I think is a bit more memorable, and I'd also point to Guerlain Homme EDP as a worthier option in this style. But they also cost more.

Oud Mosaic is my favorite from the house, and is perhaps the best "affordable" rose-oud around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    It is. And the Un Jardin is better.
    Thanks a lot, this clears it up completely.

Guys, thank you so much for your thoughts. Thinking over it again, I'd skip this one (unless I'm able to try it at a store, which isn't happening anytime soon). I was mostly interested in it for a fresh tea scent (think Bvlgari pour Homme / Extreme or Silver Mountain Water), but it sounds like this one has quite a bit of fig. I like fig, just not what I'm after. And I already have a few ones on my wishlist and am desperately trying to reduce at the same time, so blind-buying doesn't make much sense. Thanks!
    Your impressions could end up being very different from mine....not trying to dissuade you. Just my experience with it. It's not a huge loss at $25.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Your impressions could end up being very different from mine....not trying to dissuade you. Just my experience with it. It's not a huge loss at $25.
    Yeah, but I already have too many on my hands. Rather than $ it's more about what I do with it. Plus, I think I'm going to stick to my strategy of being more stringent with what I buy/swap in. I haven't bought anything in six months so there's the itch, but I think I'd go for a couple of others that I've been really interested about and keep the overall numbers low. Thank you!

Blog Entries

If you didn't live in Canada, I'd send you a sample.. just the hassle of customs form and waiting in line at P.O. is a nuisance.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

If you didn't live in Canada, I'd send you a sample.. just the hassle of customs form and waiting in line at P.O. is a nuisance.
    Thanks man, I appreciate it. That's no biggie, it's not as if I'm dying to try this (that would be Bogue Mem ...), haha.