Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 36
  1. #1

    Default Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Good day guys. I just want to start a discussion with regards to wearing fragrances this time of pandemic. Do you think it is still practical to buy or wear fragrances this time of pandemic where most of people are wearing face mask and will definitely not smell you anymore? I feel discouraged to purchase new scents lately because of this. As a fragrance lover, this saddens me. It maybe shallow to others but not for me and Im sure also to you guys. I know people may say that you wear fragrance for YOURSELF and compliments are just bonuses but isnt it nice that sometimes you receive compliments on the side. Kindly share your thoughts. Thanks

  2. #2
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,115

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Quote Originally Posted by wilger_18 View Post
    Good day guys. I just want to start a discussion with regards to wearing fragrances this time of pandemic. Do you think it is still practical to buy or wear fragrances this time of pandemic where most of people are wearing face mask and will definitely not smell you anymore? I feel discouraged to purchase new scents lately because of this. As a fragrance lover, this saddens me. It maybe shallow to others but not for me and Im sure also to you guys. I know people may say that you wear fragrance for YOURSELF and compliments are just bonuses but isnt it nice that sometimes you receive compliments on the side. Kindly share your thoughts. Thanks
    I only wear masks when I'm out shopping for groceries or whatnot. At work, I don't wear a mask. It really hasn't affected me all that much. Still working, only wear a mask for maybe a half an hour to an hour each day at the most. Even if I was wearing a mask, I think the scents and smells still get through. The paper or cloth masks, I mean.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

  3. #3

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I only wear masks when I'm out shopping for groceries or whatnot. At work, I don't wear a mask. It really hasn't affected me all that much. Still working, only wear a mask for maybe a half an hour to an hour each day at the most. Even if I was wearing a mask, I think the scents and smells still get through. The paper or cloth masks, I mean.
    Oh I get your point. So you mean you wear fragrance for yourself? Because what Im actually thinking about is how about the other people that surround us during the day. WIll they be able to appreciate our fragrances?

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    316,173

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Quote Originally Posted by wilger_18 View Post
    Do you think it is still practical to buy or wear fragrances this time of pandemic?
    Absolutely.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  5. #5
    I’m not old: I’m vintage.
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,356

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    I work by myself at home. Even without the pandemic, on most days the only ones other than myself to smell my fragrance are my wife and my cat. I don’t mind compliments from anyone else, but I don’t seek them out, and they don’t influence my fragrance choices.

    Given that, I have found fragrance more important now on a personal level, as a way to help cope with the stresses imposed by an unstable world. Of course, it’s also arguably more frivolous now. But, it puts me in a better place to direct my energies outward to make a positive difference.
    Currently wearing: Strategy by Mary Chess

  6. #6

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I work by myself at home. Even without the pandemic, on most days the only ones other than myself to smell my fragrance are my wife and my cat. I don’t mind compliments from anyone else, but I don’t seek them out, and they don’t influence my fragrance choices.

    Given that, I have found fragrance more important now on a personal level, as a way to help cope with the stresses imposed by an unstable world. Of course, it’s also arguably more frivolous now. But, it puts me in a better place to direct my energies outward to make a positive difference.
    Nice point you got there.

  7. #7
    Dependent RedRaider430's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,671

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Quote Originally Posted by wilger_18 View Post
    I know people may say that you wear fragrance for YOURSELF and compliments are just bonuses but isnt it nice that sometimes you receive compliments on the side.
    Well, you said it. I really do only wear fragrance for myself and not for others, so a mask is of no consequence to me.

    Sure, a compliment is nice, but that occurs so rarely that I don't even think about it.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

    Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Néroli Sauvage by Creed

  8. #8
    Super Member Scents And Sense's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    228

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Quote Originally Posted by wilger_18 View Post
    Good day guys. I just want to start a discussion with regards to wearing fragrances this time of pandemic. Do you think it is still practical to buy or wear fragrances this time of pandemic where most of people are wearing face mask and will definitely not smell you anymore? I feel discouraged to purchase new scents lately because of this. As a fragrance lover, this saddens me. It maybe shallow to others but not for me and Im sure also to you guys. I know people may say that you wear fragrance for YOURSELF and compliments are just bonuses but isnt it nice that sometimes you receive compliments on the side. Kindly share your thoughts. Thanks
    You should definitely still buy fragrances. I've found that wearing fragrance during these times has definitely been soothing to me.

    I wear fragrances for myself and don't really care about how others feel towards my scent (obviously if anyone complains, then I'll wash it off) so I don't think that this'll affect me. Compliments will never affect what fragrance I wear.

    I haven't really been able to smell anything when wearing a mask, so I think that a face mask will probably limit people from giving compliments. I wouldn't really worry about that, but that's just me.

    I hope this helps.
    Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

  9. #9

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    You should definitely still buy fragrances. I've found that wearing fragrance during these times has definitely been soothing to me.

    I wear fragrances for myself and don't really care about how others feel towards my scent (obviously if anyone complains, then I'll wash it off) so I don't think that this'll affect me. Compliments will never affect what fragrance I wear.

    I haven't really been able to smell anything when wearing a mask, so I think that a face mask will probably limit people from giving compliments. I wouldn't really worry about that, but that's just me.

    I hope this helps.
    Nice point. Thanks for sharing.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Definitely yes!! In the most base terms, they make YOU feel good

  11. #11
    Dependent
    techt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    South Lake Tahoe
    Posts
    5,862

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    As a matter of fact, since the whole pandemic situation started and I am at home on the computer most of the day, my fragrance purchases has skyrocket, it doesn't help being on the fragrance forums a big part of the day.
    Currently wearing: Endymion by Penhaligon's

  12. #12

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Wearing most of the fragrances at home as well (while also working mostly from a home office too), wearing a face mask in public did not interfere much if at all with the fragrance habits and routines.
    While always wearing face masks in public whenever and if required, the fragrances also worn in public are usually the ones already worn in public before and usually in the very same or similar amount of sprays/dabs anyway.
    Currently wearing: Marbert Homme by Marbert

  13. #13
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    44,763

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Wear fragrances everyday. I also wear for myself, but if others enjoy what I'm wearing, that's good also.
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  14. #14
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,115

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Quote Originally Posted by wilger_18 View Post
    Oh I get your point. So you mean you wear fragrance for yourself? Because what Im actually thinking about is how about the other people that surround us during the day. WIll they be able to appreciate our fragrances?
    No, I work with others. Often times, I we work in close quarters with my coworkers. So I keep them in mind when choosing a fragrance and how much I apply. But I still choose and wear what I want for myself.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

  15. #15
    Sillage Monster
    Trilby Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    5,555

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    I spend most of my time alone and only wear a mask when going out. Lately, I've been using more sprays and refreshing my SOTD more often. I enjoy wearing fragrances more than ever!
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

  16. #16
    Sunnyfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,924
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    COVID masks are of no consequence to my fragrance wearing. I wear it every day and to bed. The only compliments I care about are those from my husband. Anything else feels intrusive, to be honest.
    "Once you label me, you negate me." --Søren Kierkegaard

  17. #17
    Dependent PrinceRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,754

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Quote Originally Posted by wilger_18 View Post
    Do you think it is still practical to buy or wear fragrances this time of pandemic
    Yes.

    This won't last forever.
    Currently wearing: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford

  18. #18
    Basenotes Plus
    speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,604

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Over spray, others and yourself will smell your fragrance just fine. I still pickup other people’s bodily smells and fragrance even while wearing a mask for work.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

  19. #19

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Its so nice reading your thoughts guys. I actually bought Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme and Aventus (19S11) in same day. LOL

  20. #20

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    I use Covid-19 as an excuse to overspray myself with non crowd pleasing fragrances in my collection. So yes, I am still buying.

    LOL.

  21. #21
    Super Member ThVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Hamburg, Europe
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    As a matter of fact, since the whole pandemic situation started and I am at home on the computer most of the day, my fragrance purchases has skyrocket, it doesn't help being on the fragrance forums a big part of the day.
    ^This.

    Hello Basenotes!
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

  22. #22

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Thoroughly enjoyed a wearing of Amouage Gold man whilst wearing a surgical mask. I really appreciated the civety animalic side of the scent that seemed to vent through my mask.

    Didn't really care what others thought. If they couldn't smell it it was their loss!

  23. #23
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    50,374

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    As a matter of fact, since the whole pandemic situation started and I am at home on the computer most of the day, my fragrance purchases has skyrocket, it doesn't help being on the fragrance forums a big part of the day.
    I've been working from home on most days and noticed a substantial tick of backups in the last few months. As for fragrance wearings nothing has changed with the ongoing pandemic, I continue to rely on my dumb reach choices the majority of the time.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  24. #24
    Moderator

    cazaubon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Montréal and San Diego
    Posts
    6,437

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    I’ve been spritzing multiple times a day, enjoying my scents. I’m alone at home most of the time and rarely get compliments anyway.

  25. #25
    Missing Oakmoss

    Bonnette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,863

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    I've always worn fragrances for myself, and I only wear a mask for shopping and essential appointments, so mask-wearing has had no impact on me in the perfume department. All I ask of a fragrance is that I be able to catch wafts of it throughout the day - doesn't matter to me if others can smell it.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    No difference for me. I’ve been wearing fragrances at home, at work, and outside, with and without a mask. I enjoy it just as much as always.
    But the on-line purchases...don’t even go there. Let’s just say I got all of my unicorns and back ups taken care of and then some.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

  27. #27
    Dependent Beck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    no canto do cisco, no canto do olho
    Posts
    6,730

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    I am buying an wearing them normally. I don't even remember this. Wearing perfume is a part of my daily habits and I wear it even (and specially) when I'm home.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama
    Currently wearing: Amber Oud by By Kilian

  28. #28
    Basenotes Member lemonlimelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    The pandemic is the only reason I even have the time to start up this new hobby, I knew of the forums about 2 years ago but took a look around back then and realized it was much more dense of a subject than I had thought and gave up. You bet I'm covered in perfume all day now. There might be a handful of people where I live who would even register or care that I'm wearing something unusual and not purchased from the local Sephora.

  29. #29
    Dependent Beck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    no canto do cisco, no canto do olho
    Posts
    6,730

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Quote Originally Posted by lemonlimelady View Post
    The pandemic is the only reason I even have the time to start up this new hobby, I knew of the forums about 2 years ago but took a look around back then and realized it was much more dense of a subject than I had thought and gave up. You bet I'm covered in perfume all day now. There might be a handful of people where I live who would even register or care that I'm wearing something unusual and not purchased from the local Sephora.
    Oh look. The trap got another one!

    Sorry to tell you, but once bitten, never the same again.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama
    Currently wearing: Amber Oud by By Kilian

  30. #30
    Basenotes Plus

    mammakay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: Wearing fragrance in times of COVID-19 (facemask)

    Anybody tried spraying the interior of a mask?
    I sew a lot, got corralled into making masks for a local charity. They're washable, so you can change the interior scent whenever you want. Kinda nice.
    "Elegance is innate. It has nothing to do with being well dressed. Elegance is refusal." ---Diana Vreeland, VOGUE
    "Stink elegant!" ---C. J. Lacey, grandfather




Similar Threads

  1. COVID - 19: My experience
    By nadeemcrowe in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 4th June 2020, 12:14 AM
  2. Which fragrance you do not want miss after the end of covid-19 social life?
    By irumsohale in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 3rd June 2020, 09:33 PM
  3. an addendum to Marand75's COVID 19 package post:
    By sniffman in forum Vintage Perfume
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 23rd April 2020, 04:43 PM
  4. Rook Perfumes Blog: COVID 19 - One In One Out
    By nadeemcrowe in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17th April 2020, 03:32 PM
  5. Once , Twice , Three Times A Fragrance ....
    By johnjohn in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 25th June 2011, 03:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000