Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Tell us a fragrance you can't get how others love

And others will tell you what they love about it!

Difference of taste is something normal and while we may not like certain perfumes still I think it doesn't hurt to once stop focusing on what we hate about them to find what others see in them as a beauty.

I go first one perfume I don't understand its huge fanbase is Ckub de Nuit Intense. I have a bottle of it (I got it for free ina bigger purchase) and it's my worst perfume both in projection and scent. Wht do people love it so mucj?

PS I'm so drunk/high sorry if this doesnt make sense I enjoy talking to basenotes more than t9o my gf.
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Tell us a fragrance you can't get how others love

I’ll say Oudh Infini by Dusita. I love a good (even challenging) oud as much as the next person but that stuff is just horrendous. Smells like roses that have been stomped into horse manure in an old barn.

amouage lyric man - just dont get it. i find it jarring and grating. i get no rose. probably my nose not agreeing with it and picking up what others can.
    “All mankind is from Adam and Eve. An Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action." -

saying of the prophet muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم in what is known as the farewell sermon.

Truly, so many meet that criteria for me that I wouldn't know where to start. I dislike 90% of what I sample.

Ok....I'll mention a couple. Puredistance M and Dior Leather Oud. I just don't get strong leathers....or ouds.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Néroli Sauvage by Creed

Dependent

Well, there are a lot in the civet, animalic and oud family that I can't stand, but I really don't understand the cult of followers behind Terre D' Hermes, it's a scrubber for me, I just can't stand it.
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

Anything with the word "sport" written in it. I just hate them so much.

*Apologies to anyone that likes sport fragrances, I mean you no harm, only the fragrance *
    Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica
    Currently wearing: Knowing by Estée Lauder

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    I really don't understand the cult of followers behind Terre D' Hermes, it's a scrubber for me, I just can't stand it.
    Same for me (except the scrubber part). I just find it so boring and generic.

Dependent

Dior Sauvage. I have tried it so many times, but just don't get it.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

All celebrity scents except those by Delon, Kersauson, and Sharif
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by dealt7faux View Post
    Dior Sauvage. I have tried it so many times, but just don't get it.
    That's probably for the best,
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Eau de Guerlain
    2. Rochas Moustache Edp
    3. Chypre Siam By Rogue Perfumery
    4. Guerlain Habit Rouge L' Eau
    5. Eau de Rochas Edt By Rochas

Basenotes Plus

Creed Green Irish Tweed.

Just not feeling the love for this BN favourite. Too piercingly sharp for me. I’d much rather wear Davidoff Cool Water.
    Currently wearing: Diaghilev by Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Truly, so many meet that criteria for me that I wouldn't know where to start. I dislike 90% of what I sample.

Ok....I'll mention a couple. Puredistance M and Dior Leather Oud. I just don't get strong leathers....or ouds.
    I sampled Puredistance M and really liked it. If you don't like strong leathers, there is no getting around that. But to me, M is actually more of an oriental than a leather. It is more spicy than it is leathery (although still leathery). To my nose, it is masterfully blended and an absolute joy to wear. Not my favorite leather, but an excellent fragrance nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    Well, there are a lot in the civet, animalic and oud family that I can't stand, but I really don't understand the cult of followers behind Terre D' Hermes, it's a scrubber for me, I just can't stand it.
    I didn't care for it the first time I tried it, but I never considered it a scrubber. I love the zesty orange and grapefruit opening. It's just so crisp and clean! The woodiness adds a little more oomph. To me, it's elegant, masculine, and timeless. I own a bottle of the Parfum version and definitely consider it a staple. When I spray it on before heading out the door, I feel "put together". But hey, if it's not for you, it's not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Creed Green Irish Tweed.

Just not feeling the love for this BN favourite. Too piercingly sharp for me. I’d much rather wear Davidoff Cool Water.
    I didn't expect to be commenting this much, especially early on. I love Green Irish Tweed. The sandalwood is so smooth. It's green, but not just like grass (that would be my Guerlain Vetiver). I think it deserves all of the praise it gets. I don't have a bottle yet, but will probably have one in the future. I think it could be a contender for the best masculine fresh fragrance available (in my limited experience)!

EDIT: The one time I tried Cool Water, I found it way too piercingly sharp. It was a scrubber for me! I consider GIT to be the superior scent. Nothing wrong with your preferences, though!

Highly esteemed the_good_life mentioned maybe a decade a go that people perceive some ingredient that constitutes the violet accord in Green Irish Tweed very differently and that for some it is indeed sharp and piercing. I happen to be one of those people. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

And for me too Terre is grating in the long run. The annoyingly persistent immovable fake woody drydown lacks all vibrancy and depth. It just sits on my skin doing nothing.

I could mention many more, but these are interesting cases, because many with similar tastes enjoy and rate these two.

Now I see that I didn't really answer the question of the thread, since I get why others love these. They simply perceive them differently.

Sultan Pasha.

I get this same, strange, plastic type smell at the top of almost every one of his scents. I’ll admit, I didn’t spend much time with them and will revisit but, what is that common note I’m mistaking for plastic?

Basenotes Junkie

Knize Ten

This is one of several old-school leathers (also looking at you, Aramis and Peau d'Espagne) that, to me, have the unmistakable smell of public-restroom about them. Not in the dirty/animalic sense, but in the sense that they smell like the hand soap, cleaning products, and urinal cakes. It's something about they way they build/blend their floral accords, I think. I assume the functional products copied the fine fragrances, as often happens, so in that sense my dislike of them isn't really their fault. It's just a shame that I formed those public restroom scent associations long before I ever smelled any of these perfumes. It's borderline impossible to undo those longstanding associations, and it's just a shame they've ruined my ability to smell Knize, et al, with a clean slate.

Edited to address the OP's point more directly: I don't get how others can miss or overlook that public restroom vibe, since it's something we've all been exposed to for decades.
    Last edited by ScentMemory; 6th June 2020 at 08:55 AM.

Basenotes Plus

There’s a difference between things I hate and things I can’t fathom others loving. Actually, the more strongly I dislike something, the easier it is to see how others might love it. So, for example, while I can’t stand GIT, I’m pretty sure that it’s precisely what I don’t like about it that others embrace. I’m more puzzled by what I see as yawn-fests. I mean, what is there to care about in Chanel Allure pour Homme? It’s boredom in a bottle, and dated boredom at that. It’s the pleated khakis of fragrances. I could understand being less annoyed by it than I am. But, loving it? That mystifies me.

Ambre russe by parfum empire. It just smells like an upper class old lady who denies her age and insist on staying very much invested in the society she once was so proud to be part of. It's not bad, tested much worse and it's (probably) a well done frag. just MEH for my nose.

Likely too many to mention, yet could not manage to enjoy the regular Hugo (though liking the rest of its series/flankers) and YSL Kouros among others

Quote Originally Posted by ScentMemory View Post
    Edited to address the OP's point more directly: I don't get how others can miss or overlook that public restroom vibe, since it's something we've all been exposed to for decades.
    It's not that I overlook or not notice the accords like the ones that you mentioned, I just don't mind them. I've gotten so accustomed to them that they don't smell like "urine", they just smell like "good" lol. Smelling like civet or urine doesn't scare me off from a fragrance. I don't care at all what a fragrance smells like, or who it's marketed to, as long as I love it, that's all that matters for me.

Creed Green Irish Tweed.

This probably has much to do with the batch, I have samples from fragnet that are absolutely divine; my bottle purchases, not so much, I see what you mean.

Neil Morris frags as a whole, there is a strong laundry detergent smell that appears after about ten minutes and overpowers everything. It's in all of them and I had a lot of samples to test this out on.

Habanita, I think it's the mastic; green mustard gas

Sound Scents

Creed Green Irish Tweed.

In my case, I like GIT well enough and own a bottle... but I too prefer wearing Cool Water (vintage) by quite a large margin. To me, it is superior smelling and a heck of a lot less expensive (a good combination).
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Currently wearing: Cool Water by Davidoff

Basenotes Plus

For me,

There are the historical obvious one like Secretions Magnifique. But the one recently that I don't get at all is the fake youtuber hype and those that bought into it......Parfums de Marly Kalan. It smells like someone just cut a bunch of red pepper and rubbed it on themselves. Now, if this were forwarded by the hype-army on youtube as an 'odd niche' for the odd enthusiast that wants to smell like a red pepper, then yeah, I would understand, but this was marketed, pushed as a mass-appealing frag. I would say this is a big pass for me. I don't hate the smell of red pepper as a food, but wouldn't want to wear the smell.

I don't understand how anybody could wear and even love Invictus. Worst of the worst on earth.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    I don't understand how anybody could wear and even love Invictus. Worst of the worst on earth.
    Completely agree with you.

I don't quite understand why people love Montale fragrances, especially their ouds. Crude, unfinished, loud, synthetic and piercing.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I’m more puzzled by what I see as yawn-fests. I mean, what is there to care about in Chanel Allure pour Homme? It’s boredom in a bottle, and dated boredom at that. It’s the pleated khakis of fragrances. I could understand being less annoyed by it than I am. But, loving it? That mystifies me.
    Yeah, it's mostly the enthusiasm for "plain" fragrances that mystifies me.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    It's not that I overlook or not notice the accords like the ones that you mentioned, I just don't mind them. I've gotten so accustomed to them that they don't smell like "urine", they just smell like "good" lol. Smelling like civet or urine doesn't scare me off from a fragrance. I don't care at all what a fragrance smells like, or who it's marketed to, as long as I love it, that's all that matters for me.
    I actually don't mind civet, animalic, or even "poopy" oud accords. The problem I have with some of the older leathers isn't that they smell like urine to me, it's that they smell like the cheap hand soap and cleaning products used in the restrooms. Or more accurately put, the cleaning products have come, over the decades, to smell like those older perfumes. I'm pretty sure if I had been around to smell Knize when it was new, I wouldn't have associated its notes with public restrooms.

Freed from BN Institution

One example would be Creed Aventus.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast