Code of Conduct

Question Toxicity of the Fragrance

I would like to ask about the chemicals used in the perfumes. Currently I have several fragrances and until very recently I was unaware that fragrances that we apply daily could potentially have toxic chemicals. for example a fragrance I really enjoy or at least used to enjoy was Dior Sauvage Eau de Parfum. However, an ingredient analysis that I came across says that it contains BHT and some other controversial/At risk compounds. I guess many cosmetic products contain those controversial compounds as well. It just makes me wonder that is it really safe to apply fragrances? any thoughts on this could be appreciated.

Default Re: Toxicity of the Fragrance

IFRA, the self-regulating body of perfume companies, is extremely restrictive in what, and how much, can go into perfumes to be applied on the body. Too much in fact, most perfume lovers think that these restrictions are excessive. Of course, IFRA mostly tests for skin conditions, less so for other conditions. But my view is that perfumes are safer than many other products.

Thanks so much. For some reason after reading certain things about certain fragrances kind of made me hate them for example I used an app to scan the barcode of some fragrances and the results like like this
    Screenshot_20200607_030010.jpg
    Kindda heartbreaking!

Note however that these ingredients are contained in very small amounts. If they are regulated, they will be in doses smaller than those allowed. Usually, 90% or more of a perfume is alcohol. Of course, it is always a personal decision as to what one is willing to put on one's skin.