Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default My Morning Wood: Being Accepted When Overspraying.

OK, the title of the post was a bit misleading....click bait.

BUT,

What I meant to tell you is this: My experience as a shameless oversprayer. I've been consistently overspraying perfumes at work, and I have tried a variety of fragrances. Especially 1980's powerhouses, but not limited to them. Most of my colleagues at the School do get a bit alarmed when I come to a meeting wearing 15 sprays of Polo Green, or Azzaro PH. I have tried others too, with similar responses. Even my basic Italian Pine colognes have received mixed responses. My students have never reacted to my fragrances in any way. I guess they are afraid of getting lower grades if they tell me I am using too much cologne. Or maybe they are just discomforted about complimenting a teacher. Most teachers present themselves as if they were in a pedestal.

But I have one positive experience to share with you. During a morning meeting, I wore around 20 sprays of He Wood (2007) by Dsquared2. I received three explicit compliments, from two colleagues and the department secretary. The latter one told me that the wood smell was "delicious". (Brazilians use the word "delicious" a lot, in the sense that something is very pleasant). Since that day, I've been wearing this fragrance a lot, and my bottle is almost empty. I guess a basic, simple wood fragrance, when oversprayed, is not as heavy as other notes or as complex fragrances.

What other perfumes would you recommend to me as safe for overspraying? Maybe fresh fruity colognes, such as those in the HERMES "JARDIN" series? I love to experiment. Please help.

Do not respond by saying that I should be ashamed of myself and stop overspraying...... I forbid you!

Breakfast-Wood-Sex-Lifestyle-DKODING.jpg
    Last edited by Andrei Bolkonsky; 6th June 2020 at 03:50 PM.
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Default Re: My Morning Wood: Being Accepted When Overspraying.

Aramis Havana and Yatagan are the first I can think of!

Dependent

Pretty much any eau de cologne. For me it's Guerlian Eau de Cologne Imperiale, the Aqua Allegoria's, Eau du Coq, Homme L'eau Boisee, Chanel Eau de Cologne, and a host of others I am sure I have forgotten to mention.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Pretty much whatever ones you want to overspray, but I would say that the Les Jardin line, most things from Hermes, Guerlain colognes et al are fine.

The other interesting thing about overspraying is that often you sense a lot of notes and accords that do not fully come out when using just 5-6 sprays.

In my collection, I would only overspray Allure Homme Sport Cologne, Dior's Cologne Blanche, or Molecule 01.

Throughout time, people who have acquired influence or made significant accomplishments in their field are given leeway to act with indecency. In some perverted sense, they have earned the right to be arrogant without repercussions. When you overspray like this, do you feel like you have been given this right by your peers, or do you feel at peace with accepting the negative social repercussions from acting antisocially?

Also adding to (some of) the safest choices for over-spraying:

Mugler Cologne, 4711, XXL by Daniel Hechter, Sir Irisch Moos, Eau de Grey Flannel, On El by J del Pozo, most Zara scents excepting perhaps the ones in EDP concentration, Jil Sander Man as well as most other scents by this house and even Guerlain EDT, Derrick by Orlane also Halston Z 1-12, including the vintage versions of these ones
    Currently wearing: Marbert Homme by Marbert

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Celinman View Post
    In my collection, I would only overspray Allure Homme Sport Cologne, Dior's Cologne Blanche, or Molecule 01.

Throughout time, people who have acquired influence or made significant accomplishments in their field are given leeway to act with indecency. In some perverted sense, they have earned the right to be arrogant without repercussions. When you overspray like this, do you feel like you have been given this right by your peers, or do you feel at peace with accepting the negative social repercussions from acting antisocially?
    The way you put it, it is like I am going to go to the Electric Chair for commiting the crime of overspraying! "Arrogant, indecent, perverted, antisocial". COME ON, BUDDY! It is no big deal... I have excellent, friendly relationships with all my peers. And no, even though I already got Tenure, I consider myself still a rookie.

Ones that I’ve completely over-sprayed and received no blow back

John Varvatos Vintage
    Polo Blue Gold Blend (this went from a bomb to needing overspraying)
    Dior Homme Cologne

Honestly probably the only 3 and I also went through the bottles in a few months
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Sound Scents

Probably something like Cologne du Parfumeur by Guerlain would fit the bill.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Currently wearing: MCM Success by MCM

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

deleted (wrong thread)

When a perfume is accepted it is not 'oversprayed'!

I agree with Trauerkraut. It's not overspraying at all if a fragrance is well suited for a very generous application.

I also agree to an extent with Celinman - obviously would not go as far as he did. This behaviour is about taking liberties and some people most definitely will view it as arrogance. I am also a teacher and also a flamboyant character, so I would know. Just be kind to everyone and practice some self-deprecating humor in moderare doses and you can get away with some of your strange tendencies.

Banned

Now, "Arrogant with Strange Tendencies"

I am being bullied. Help. Help, please someone!

bullyingnovo.jpg

Hahahah! I was mainly talking about myself.

But also a little bit about you.

All Is Beautiful

Whole lot of stock photos going on here.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Whole lot of stock photos going on here.
    Is it forbidden?

When you go to parties, do you bring your own stereo and play your music louder than what's already playing at the party, just so everyone can pay attention to you instead?

I hope this thread is satire, or a joke as silly as the click bait title.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    When you go to parties, do you bring your own stereo and play your music louder than what's already playing at the party, just so everyone can pay attention to you instead?

There are many other Oversprayers in the Forum, and nobody seems to care. It is not as bad as bringing loud music. You do stand out, in a way, but so many old ladies do that, why can't I?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    Maybe fresh fruity colognes, such as those in the HERMES "JARDIN" series? I love to experiment.
    Go for it!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post

Just to clarify things: Even though my story, my deposition, is not devoid of humor, it is totally, absolutely true. I am NOT the Andy Kaufman of the group. I am just an opinionated and flamboyant teacher, like Johnny Ludlow.

I enjoy to overspray L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer. It smells of clean soapy musk on me, I could spray it 20 or even 30 times and will smell absolutely clean and sexy.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

I don't overspray no matter how I love it, I have a fine sense of smell and I'd be overwhelming myself more than anyone further away if I did that. I remember ruining some of favorites for myself by overspraying them just once!

I grew up in a fraghead family with fraghead friends and they were all oversprayers IMO, like how before 2000s most people were! Since my first perfumes I wore only one or two sprays and people who saw this would tell me it's not enough yet those same fraghead people would tell each other that this kid wears the best perfumes and has great taste while I was wearing the same Fahrenheit (the Sauvage of the 90s in popularity) as all their 35 yo boyfriends! To me it's most beautiful when it doesn't shout in my nostrils but instead presents itself without trying too hard, both when on myself or on others.

About necessity of overspraying:

If you need to be overwhelmed by a scent in order to enjoy it you can always wear it closer to you face or under your shirt.
    Alternatively if you want to be noticed by overspraying your perfume I think most people would enjoy it more if you had sprayed appropriately rather than admittedly overdoing it! So don't worry...
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Another thing I noticed is the meaning of overspraying is being twisted by some, each perfume has a different capacity which if applied more would become overwhelming and that's when it's oversprayed. Prada Infusion, 1477, Mugler Cologne, many of Hermes and l'Artisan are so light and airy in performance that you can't even overspray them with 10+ spritzs! The fact that you can wear a ton of these doesn't mean they are oversprayed.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Wear Arancia di Capri and spray as much as you want.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Azzaro Pour Homme just going to be balls to the wall walking masculinity.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Do not respond by saying that I should be ashamed of myself and stop overspraying...... I forbid you!
    This is never the right answer.
    Currently wearing: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford

Light/airy/sheer frags can go hand in hand with lots of application:
    Top of my head - Armani Eau, Chanel PM EDT (NOT EDP OR CONCENTREE - it WILL gve you a thumping headache!), Tuscany, Azzar PH L'eau... and colognes like 4711.

Now thinking about it - there are some that benefit from liberal application, seems like these have a good balance in their composition so as not to become overwhelming to self or others once the initial alcohol and cacophonic tuning up of all the parts of each's respective 'orchestra' settle : Adolfo Vetiver, Aramis 900, Bvlgari BLack (bordeline!), Dunhill Edition, Equipage, Prada Infusion Vetiver, Carven Vetiver...

Andrei - I wouldn't worry too much about it- to be honest - a lot of comments we make online are stretched to hyperbole - and may come off as offensive to others - cause the internet makes us that away(!) as does the scentsationalisim ( see what I did there ))) - in EVERYTHING we've also become accustomed to.

I think the only times I have got some comments(positive) is when I KNOW I have applied liberally (not necessarily oversprayed)

Feels like overspray is a naughty word now like 'masculinity'.

You may find useful: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/467...u-overspray-it

Do your thang thang Bolkonsky!

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Azzaro Pour Homme just going to be balls to the wall walking masculinity.
    I wana try this

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Andrei - I wouldn't worry too much about it- to be honest - a lot of comments we make online are stretched to hyperbole - and may come off as offensive to others - cause the internet makes us that away(!) as does the scentsationalisim ( see what I did there ))) - in EVERYTHING we've also become accustomed to.

I think the only times I have got some comments(positive) is when I KNOW I have applied liberally (not necessarily oversprayed)

Feels like overspray is a naughty word now like 'masculinity'.

You may find useful: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/467...u-overspray-it

Do your thang thang Bolkonsky!
    Thanks so much for your words. I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.

What other perfumes would you recommend to me as safe for overspraying? Maybe fresh fruity colognes.....
    My favorite fruity cologne to spray is Creed Neroli Sauvage. It has one of the best smelling openings I've smelled, and it NEEDS to be oversprayed because its longevity is very limited.

I can't imagine spraying it 20 times, but whatever you feel comfortable with.

And if you want to extend the longevity (especially with citrus fragrances), try spraying some on your shirt.

Chanel Eau de Cologne is another one I always overspray....on me and clothing.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Néroli Sauvage by Creed